Rams hire Brandon Staley as DC

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I like this. Kinda close to a McVay type hire but a bit more under the radar. From a good coaching tree and runs a more updated version of wades defense kinda. Fangio's defense is pretty good.

I like how his defense employs multiple large 5T DE's, the Rams have 2, ... Morgan Fox is a converted OLB & the other is on our Practice Squad. Donald is a 3T DT forced into the role.

The Denver DL accumulated 21.5 Sacks & 36 TFL's, primarily from their 5T DE's, ... the Rams DL collected 20 sacks (12.5 from Donald alone) & 31 TFL's (20 from Donald). Our DE's combined for all of 5 sacks & 6 TFL's.

Denver LB'ers had 17.5 sacks (8 from Von Miller) & 22 TFL's, ... Rams LB'ers had 29 Sacks (11.5 from Fowler) & 37 TFL's.

Seems to me adding a quality 5T DE could be quite beneficial.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
[theathletic.com]

The Blue Streaks of John Carroll University needed a defensive coordinator in 2013, and fast.

The one they had lined up bolted for the NFL early in spring practice, leaving first-year coach Tom Arth with a big void. A trusted colleague suggested Arth look to the University of Tennessee and at a 30-year-old graduate assistant named Brandon Staley.

That started a six-year journey for Staley, one that culminated last week in the Rams’ decision to hire him as their new defensive coordinator.

A former quarterback, Staley already had put in six years as a graduate assistant, a Division III position coach and a community-college coordinator before he met Arth. Staley was young, but he impressed Arth enough to get the job at John Carroll. In 2013, the Blue Streaks went 9-2 and allowed fewer than 10 points in nine of their 11 games. After a year at an FCS school, Staley chose to return to John Carroll in 2015 and the team went 8-2. In 2016, the Blue Streaks reached the Division III national semifinals and finished 12-2.

[ Listen to 11 Personnel for more Rams coverage ]

Soon after, Arth was hired at the University of Tennessee-Chattanooga and brought Staley with him, but before the 2017 season, Staley was hired by the Chicago Bears to work under then-defensive coordinator Vic Fangio as the outside linebackers coach.

Arth, now the head coach at the University of Akron, maintained a close relationship with Staley during his three years with Fangio in Chicago and Denver. Arth was thrilled to hear that Staley would be joining Sean McVay’s staff with the Rams. He spoke on the phone with The Athletic on Monday to share some insights about Staley’s personality and defensive mindset.

(This interview has been lightly edited.)

How did you even become acquainted with Brandon to start with?

First of all, I’m just so, so excited for Brandon. He’s going to do such an incredible job for the Rams organization. When I first got to know Brandon, it’s kind of an interesting story. I became the head coach at my alma mater, John Carroll University, which is a prominent school in the National Football League (having produced several players and executives). I hired Jerry Schuplinski to be our defensive coordinator and had him for a couple months. We got into spring practice, and after the first or second spring practice, he got a call from Josh McDaniels, who was his college teammate, and Josh brought him to New England. So when Jerry left, I reached out to some people that I have great respect for, to look for a defensive coordinator. Jonathan Gannon, who is in Indianapolis now as defensive backs coach for the Colts — Jonathan had known Brandon growing up, I think through AAU basketball. They built a really strong relationship through that and through football and coaching. Jonathan told me, ‘There is not a better person you could talk to.”

Coming from him, that meant a lot to me, so of course, I called Brandon, I interviewed him. It was as big of a no-brainer as you can possibly imagine. Within 30 seconds of the interview, you knew there was just something really special about Brandon, just something really different. His personality, his way, his ability to teach, his knowledge and expertise and his ability to connect, all of it is really rare and it shows through pretty instantaneously. I’m sure Sean (McVay), when he met him, I’m sure he felt similarly. I knew in that moment that we were going to hire Brandon. We had him for the first year I was head coach. He went to James Madison for a year and, I think, missed what we had at John Carroll. When he left, I hired Chris Shula. Then Chris, after a year, got hired by Tom Telesco and the Chargers organization, and now obviously he’s working for Sean (as the Rams’ outside linebackers coach).

When Chris left, I called Brandon, just because we had talked all the time, throughout the year. I knew he missed it. He missed John Carroll, he missed working and doing it the way we do it. I just called him and kind of threw it (the idea of a return) out there, not really knowing what to expect. Sure enough, he was all for it. I remember that being — it said a lot about Brandon and the courage he had to leave a premier Division I FCS program to come back to a Division III school. Nobody understood that, outside our circle. Nobody could understand why he did that, but he did it for all the right reasons. Brandon came back and was our D-coordinator in 2015. Again, top-25 team in the country. Then in 2016 we made it to the national semifinals and finished third in the country. From there, we went to Chattanooga together and before spring practice started, he got hired by the Chicago Bears and Brandon went to work for Coach (Matt) Nagy and Vic, and has done a great job.

For people who might wonder about a 37-year-old, first-time NFL defensive coordinator, what about Brandon makes you confident that he’s ready for this?

I think you have to start with his ability to relate, his ability to galvanize a group and bring them together, believing in his style of play. I think you have to start there, with his leadership. From there, I think you look at his expertise. Brandon is as good of a football coach as I’ve ever been around. That goes back to my time as a player. Brandon is so smart. You hear how people describe Sean and his football acumen. Honestly, that’s how I feel about Brandon. I think he’s got this incredible, incredible football mind. The game comes very easily to him. He works extremely hard at it. Very well-prepared, very smart and detailed. He just has this innate ability to understand opposing offenses.

I think that goes back to his experience. He was a quarterback. He grew up playing quarterback and was a college quarterback. He sees the game from an offensive perspective and that’s how he coaches defense. I think he starts out with, “OK, what are they trying to do? And how do we take that away? Who are they and who are their best players and how do we take them away and how do we take away the intentions they have?” He’s just got such an incredible feel. He has great timing. He’s smart in his calls and aggressive when he needs to be and conservative when he needs to be. I think he’s got such a bright future ahead of him. For him to be a defensive coordinator at 37 in the National Football League and to have climbed that ladder as fast as he has, honestly it doesn’t surprise me. I would have recommended Brandon to be the D-coordinator for anybody in the country in 2013. He’s got something really special to him. He’s a guy that, a couple years from now, people are going to be talking about as a head coaching candidate.

By all indications, he aced the interview process with Sean McVay. It sounds like a lot of what you’re saying here …

Very rarely does somebody have the ability to come in and just absolutely exceed every expectation that you could possibly have. I really feel like that’s what Brandon does.

Rams fans obviously are interested in what Brandon will bring scheme-wise. In interviews, he has said that even before he got hired by Vic Fangio, he studied Fangio’s defenses a lot. Did you see that? And did he bring a lot of that stuff to your teams?

Absolutely. Vic was the coordinator for the 49ers at that time. I remember studying the 49ers structurally, very similar to what we were doing. I think the great thing about Brandon’s defense is that it’s multiple. It’s driven by matchups, which is the NFL game. It can be what it needs to be, when it needs to be that. Brandon is smart enough to understand that and understand what his players do, what they do well and what their strengths and weaknesses are. He understands that it’s about putting them in position to be as successful as they can be, regardless of what your intended scheme is. Brandon is going to put the Rams players in great position to be successful. I would expect it to be very multiple. I would expect to see a variety of fronts. I would expect to see a variety of pressures, some exotic pressures on third down and some different coverages, multiple coverages and a team that adjusts based on formations and motions and alignments. He does a great job and makes it really difficult for opposing offenses.

And I imagine he might have some thoughts on how to use Aaron Donald …

It’s funny. We talked the morning after all the news broke. Obviously, Aaron Donald is one of the best players in the National Football League. (Brandon) was talking about how he reminds him of a guy that we coached at John Carroll. (laughs) Just the skill set. At that level obviously it’s all relative, but there were different ways we used that player and how we aligned him and created matchups for him and things like that. He’s really excited about that. He’s already thinking about how he’s going to use Aaron.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Now what upsets me about this article is I was just in Akron for a couple of weeks on business in October and was given a tour of the University and was introduced to Coach Tom Arth....Sure wish it happened now, great guy taking over a mess and 0-12 in his first year, but they will give him time and I'm betting like Chuck Martin at Miami of Ohio, he'll have things going well in a few years.

fearsomefour

Legend
I like how his defense employs multiple large 5T DE's, the Rams have 2, ... Morgan Fox is a converted OLB & the other is on our Practice Squad. Donald is a 3T DT forced into the role.

The Denver DL accumulated 21.5 Sacks & 36 TFL's, primarily from their 5T DE's, ... the Rams DL collected 20 sacks (12.5 from Donald alone) & 31 TFL's (20 from Donald). Our DE's combined for all of 5 sacks & 6 TFL's.

Denver LB'ers had 17.5 sacks (8 from Von Miller) & 22 TFL's, ... Rams LB'ers had 29 Sacks (11.5 from Fowler) & 37 TFL's.

Seems to me adding a quality 5T DE could be quite beneficial.
Sign Shelby Harris.
Should only cost $11M a year or so, haha.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Absolutely. Vic was the coordinator for the 49ers at that time. I remember studying the 49ers structurally, very similar to what we were doing. I think the great thing about Brandon’s defense is that it’s multiple. It’s driven by matchups, which is the NFL game. It can be what it needs to be, when it needs to be that. Brandon is smart enough to understand that and understand what his players do, what they do well and what their strengths and weaknesses are. He understands that it’s about putting them in position to be as successful as they can be, regardless of what your intended scheme is. Brandon is going to put the Rams players in great position to be successful. I would expect it to be very multiple. I would expect to see a variety of fronts. I would expect to see a variety of pressures, some exotic pressures on third down and some different coverages, multiple coverages and a team that adjusts based on formations and motions and alignments. He does a great job and makes it really difficult for opposing offenses.
Fantastic read.

And once again I think this was an inspired addition to the staff. Even as much as I love Wade and the "un-poachability" that he brings what I really like about this hire is Sean went out and found a coach with the skillset he wants and maybe another rare communicator and gameplanner. If that is true it means this dude will get hired away quickly, but whatever.

Sustained success in the NFL requires consistent good hires and moves on your coaching staff. Particularly when you're a non-douche who will allow his staff to seek out better positions. This is the type of hire that tells me Sean is ready for that challenge and it feels good to see the deep delve and selectivity to bring this guy in.

Really excited to see this new chapter. (y)

Rams43

Hall of Fame
it is possible that after one year of Staley that Ram fans will be asking, “Wade who”? Lol.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- Hiring Brandon Staley as the defensive coordinator of the Los Angeles Rams is a move entirely opposite of the one coach Sean McVay made three years ago.

When the Rams made McVay the youngest head coach in modern NFL history in 2017, the offensive-minded McVay searched for a defensive coordinator who could provide experience and veteran knowledge and who could handle the unit in its entirety.

McVay's move to hire Wade Phillips was a no-brainer. Phillips checked every box, plus earned bonus points for a personality that could engage an entire team.

"Our personalities, it's a good balance -- in terms of some of the things where you see just how even-keeled he is, has helped," said McVay during Week 17 of this season. "Like I've mentioned in a lot of different ways, he's always had a great perspective just based on his experience -- whether it be as a head coach or as a coordinator."

But the needs of the Rams and McVay have apparently changed. After winning two division titles and a conference championship before this season's 9-7 finish that left them out of the playoffs, the Rams are moving on from Phillips as McVay, who turns 34 next week, prepares for his fourth season as head coach.

McVay informed Phillips early last week that his expiring contract would not be renewed. Four days later, McVay made a surprise hire as he turned to an unknown, unproven and inexperienced coordinator whom the Rams will depend on to take their defense from good, which it undoubtedly was under Phillips, to elite.

Meet Staley, whom the Rams are expected to soon announce as their defensive coordinator.

Never heard of him? You're certainly not alone.

Staley is 37 years old, more than three decades younger than the 72-year-old Phillips, and spent the past three seasons coaching for the defensive-minded Vic Fangio. His first two seasons under Fangio were spent serving as outside linebackers coach for the Chicago Bears, where Fangio was the defensive coordinator. This past season, Staley held a similar post for the Denver Broncos after Fangio brought him along when he was named Broncos head coach.

In Chicago, Staley coached a position group that included outside linebacker Khalil Mack, and in Denver he worked closely with pass-rushers Von Miller and Bradley Chubb.

Staley spent a decade coaching at lower-tier colleges and is three seasons removed from his post as the defensive coordinator at John Carroll University -- a Division III school in Ohio. Now he inherits a unit that boasts two-time NFL Defensive Player of the Year Aaron Donald and All-Pro cornerback Jalen Ramsey.

This past season, the Rams ranked ninth in defensive efficiency, but the unit was also marred by inexplicable meltdowns. They allowed more than 40 points in three losses and suffered momentary lapses in other critical moments, including late in the fourth quarter of a Week 16 loss to the San Francisco 49ers that eliminated them from playoff contention.

It's expected that Staley will utilize a 3-4 scheme, given his tutelage under Fangio, who runs a base 3-4. That should minimize any need for general manager Les Snead to alter course on defensive personnel, which could have caused a setback had they shifted to a 4-3 scheme.

However, Staley will be forced to navigate a unit that could be moving forward without several of its top playmakers who are pending unrestricted free agents, including outside linebacker Dante Fowler Jr., inside linebacker Cory Littleton and defensive lineman Michael Brockers.

Last season, Fowler produced a career-high 11.5 sacks while playing on a one-year, $12 million deal. Littleton, a former undrafted free agent, has been the Rams' leading tackler the past two seasons and Brockers, an eight-year pro, has provided a dependable presence and is a proven force in the run game.

It remains uncertain whether Staley will be given control of his defensive staff and which position coaches he would retain.

It was widely thought linebackers coach Joe Barry, who previously served as the defensive coordinator for the Detroit Lions and Washington Redskins, would be promoted. Barry remains a candidate for the vacant defensive coordinator position at USC, where he played in college and has previously served as a defensive assistant. The hiring of Staley could motivate Barry to move on.

Plenty of questions remain about how Staley will improve the defense, but perhaps an unexpected question is how his presence will affect McVay.

The addition of Staley, along with new offensive coordinator Kevin O'Connell -- who also is expected to be formally announced soon -- ensures the Rams will be the only team in the NFL with a head coach and two coordinators in their 30s.

No longer a rookie, McVay seems to have a clearer picture of how he wants to run his team, and a fresh idea about how to navigate forward following a season of disappointment.

By hiring Staley, McVay is conveying he no longer needs a mentor, but perhaps a peer, and he's signaling that he's looking for a fresh approach to defense, something perhaps more innovative than what the Rams had shown in previous seasons, despite their success.

Three years ago, Phillips was a safe choice.

But now Staley is McVay's bold bet moving forward.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I'm really liking this move, really liking McVay's thinking in hiring Staley, and really his overall vision for what he wants the defense to be, i.e. making it more match-up driven. All due respect to Wade, but I think McVay is on the right path.

How refreshing to have a coach from one side of the ball give the other side it's proper due. Too many defensive coaches neglect offense, too many offensive coaches neglect defense. McVay is an offensive guy but is given due attention to the other side of the ball and is coming up with a real vision instead of just saying "I'll hire so-and-so and let him run the D".

Really excited to see how this D looks next season. And excited to see what Staley might do with some of our young pass rushers like Obo.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Would somebody mind explaining to me why the Rams home page has of yet to report the signing of either the new Defensive Coordinator, or the Offensive Coordinator?:unsure:

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
[theathletic.com]

The Blue Streaks of John Carroll University needed a defensive coordinator in 2013, and fast.

The one they had lined up bolted for the NFL early in spring practice, leaving first-year coach Tom Arth with a big void. A trusted colleague suggested Arth look to the University of Tennessee and at a 30-year-old graduate assistant named Brandon Staley.

That started a six-year journey for Staley, one that culminated last week in the Rams’ decision to hire him as their new defensive coordinator.

A former quarterback, Staley already had put in six years as a graduate assistant, a Division III position coach and a community-college coordinator before he met Arth. Staley was young, but he impressed Arth enough to get the job at John Carroll. In 2013, the Blue Streaks went 9-2 and allowed fewer than 10 points in nine of their 11 games. After a year at an FCS school, Staley chose to return to John Carroll in 2015 and the team went 8-2. In 2016, the Blue Streaks reached the Division III national semifinals and finished 12-2.

[ Listen to 11 Personnel for more Rams coverage ]

Soon after, Arth was hired at the University of Tennessee-Chattanooga and brought Staley with him, but before the 2017 season, Staley was hired by the Chicago Bears to work under then-defensive coordinator Vic Fangio as the outside linebackers coach.

Arth, now the head coach at the University of Akron, maintained a close relationship with Staley during his three years with Fangio in Chicago and Denver. Arth was thrilled to hear that Staley would be joining Sean McVay’s staff with the Rams. He spoke on the phone with The Athletic on Monday to share some insights about Staley’s personality and defensive mindset.

(This interview has been lightly edited.)

How did you even become acquainted with Brandon to start with?

First of all, I’m just so, so excited for Brandon. He’s going to do such an incredible job for the Rams organization. When I first got to know Brandon, it’s kind of an interesting story. I became the head coach at my alma mater, John Carroll University, which is a prominent school in the National Football League (having produced several players and executives). I hired Jerry Schuplinski to be our defensive coordinator and had him for a couple months. We got into spring practice, and after the first or second spring practice, he got a call from Josh McDaniels, who was his college teammate, and Josh brought him to New England. So when Jerry left, I reached out to some people that I have great respect for, to look for a defensive coordinator. Jonathan Gannon, who is in Indianapolis now as defensive backs coach for the Colts — Jonathan had known Brandon growing up, I think through AAU basketball. They built a really strong relationship through that and through football and coaching. Jonathan told me, ‘There is not a better person you could talk to.”

Coming from him, that meant a lot to me, so of course, I called Brandon, I interviewed him. It was as big of a no-brainer as you can possibly imagine. Within 30 seconds of the interview, you knew there was just something really special about Brandon, just something really different. His personality, his way, his ability to teach, his knowledge and expertise and his ability to connect, all of it is really rare and it shows through pretty instantaneously. I’m sure Sean (McVay), when he met him, I’m sure he felt similarly. I knew in that moment that we were going to hire Brandon. We had him for the first year I was head coach. He went to James Madison for a year and, I think, missed what we had at John Carroll. When he left, I hired Chris Shula. Then Chris, after a year, got hired by Tom Telesco and the Chargers organization, and now obviously he’s working for Sean (as the Rams’ outside linebackers coach).

When Chris left, I called Brandon, just because we had talked all the time, throughout the year. I knew he missed it. He missed John Carroll, he missed working and doing it the way we do it. I just called him and kind of threw it (the idea of a return) out there, not really knowing what to expect. Sure enough, he was all for it. I remember that being — it said a lot about Brandon and the courage he had to leave a premier Division I FCS program to come back to a Division III school. Nobody understood that, outside our circle. Nobody could understand why he did that, but he did it for all the right reasons. Brandon came back and was our D-coordinator in 2015. Again, top-25 team in the country. Then in 2016 we made it to the national semifinals and finished third in the country. From there, we went to Chattanooga together and before spring practice started, he got hired by the Chicago Bears and Brandon went to work for Coach (Matt) Nagy and Vic, and has done a great job.

For people who might wonder about a 37-year-old, first-time NFL defensive coordinator, what about Brandon makes you confident that he’s ready for this?

I think you have to start with his ability to relate, his ability to galvanize a group and bring them together, believing in his style of play. I think you have to start there, with his leadership. From there, I think you look at his expertise. Brandon is as good of a football coach as I’ve ever been around. That goes back to my time as a player. Brandon is so smart. You hear how people describe Sean and his football acumen. Honestly, that’s how I feel about Brandon. I think he’s got this incredible, incredible football mind. The game comes very easily to him. He works extremely hard at it. Very well-prepared, very smart and detailed. He just has this innate ability to understand opposing offenses.

I think that goes back to his experience. He was a quarterback. He grew up playing quarterback and was a college quarterback. He sees the game from an offensive perspective and that’s how he coaches defense. I think he starts out with, “OK, what are they trying to do? And how do we take that away? Who are they and who are their best players and how do we take them away and how do we take away the intentions they have?” He’s just got such an incredible feel. He has great timing. He’s smart in his calls and aggressive when he needs to be and conservative when he needs to be. I think he’s got such a bright future ahead of him. For him to be a defensive coordinator at 37 in the National Football League and to have climbed that ladder as fast as he has, honestly it doesn’t surprise me. I would have recommended Brandon to be the D-coordinator for anybody in the country in 2013. He’s got something really special to him. He’s a guy that, a couple years from now, people are going to be talking about as a head coaching candidate.

By all indications, he aced the interview process with Sean McVay. It sounds like a lot of what you’re saying here …

Very rarely does somebody have the ability to come in and just absolutely exceed every expectation that you could possibly have. I really feel like that’s what Brandon does.

Rams fans obviously are interested in what Brandon will bring scheme-wise. In interviews, he has said that even before he got hired by Vic Fangio, he studied Fangio’s defenses a lot. Did you see that? And did he bring a lot of that stuff to your teams?

And I imagine he might have some thoughts on how to use Aaron Donald …

It’s funny. We talked the morning after all the news broke. Obviously, Aaron Donald is one of the best players in the National Football League. (Brandon) was talking about how he reminds him of a guy that we coached at John Carroll. (laughs) Just the skill set. At that level obviously it’s all relative, but there were different ways we used that player and how we aligned him and created matchups for him and things like that. He’s really excited about that. He’s already thinking about how he’s going to use Aaron.

So much of this could be copy pasta for McVay. That's great. With Wade, it was hit or miss. If someone had us in a matchup disadvantage, we'd get rolled. If we had them, we'd stone them. It was rarely in the middle. And I loved Wade as a DC, don't get me wrong, but I think I'll like this new D better...in the long run.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
No, but I might consider Danny Shelton at NT for $4.7mil.

Wait, Danny Shelton is available? yeah, I'd do that in a heartbeat. He's MILES better than anyone we've got at NT and he's got the size and power we need.

I may have to put a wheeler dealer type thing together and make a mock draft...

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Sadly w/ Wade's D it was feast or famine for us. I wonder if Wade's age is catching up to him. You always hear its a young mans game now.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Would somebody mind explaining to me why the Rams home page has of yet to report the signing of either the new Defensive Coordinator, or the Offensive Coordinator?:unsure:

Their interns are just getting back to their graphic design classes at Cal State Dominguez Hills so give it a few days for them to settle in and crack the syllabus

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I believe it to be a positive sign, that McVay was able to get his man in so quickly.
I just hope it works out.
The last thing we want is a Tim Walton.