Rams hire Brandon Staley as DC

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Tano

Legend
Probably don’t need to blue font that one. That is the downside of these young up-and-comers.

But, plan for success... and have a succession strategy for the play calling / playbook. Just like, gulp, NE.
It was half sarcasm half truth

Is there a really light blue color for those comments?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
It was half sarcasm half truth

Is there a really light blue color for those comments?

Yep. I was following you. The thought of these guys being coveted was one of the first thoughts I had when I saw their ages.

But, IF that happens, it’s also a good thing. (y)

Fingers crossed!

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
You realize of course that one good year as DC under McVay will automatically make him a HC the following year

Recognize the blue font, I think it might take a little longer, but being the Rams are winning the Super Bowl next year, both Staley & O'Connell could be one and done.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
The Rams have to have the youngest coaching staff in the league. At least at HC, OC and DC. I like it. We've seen too many old retreads over the years. Time for some fresh young ideas. Hope it works out.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It seems like a good surprise choice. Rams keep and improve on the 3-4 defense with a young up and coming coach. He has to straighten out the secondary's poor communications/understanding of responsibilities. He will have his work cut out for him as he will have to fill some holes with starters that will not be coming back. He gets a chance to coach up some young talented players.
The new challenges are another reason I like going younger here. Sure, older guys have done it before, but they may also have lost that edge. A younger coach may be excited to take challenges on head first.

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Mcvay can now collaborate with his dc without worrying about stepping on his toes. This guy isn't an established dc so he has not built up any cred to feel offended if the hc wants to be involved in the game planning. Would have been discussed before he was hired.

Makes sense to me. I just hope there aren’t too many chefs in the kitchen. Should be an interesting year going forward. McVay will learn a bunch this year.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Seems like a good hire. He was a suggestion of somebody else I was talking to and admittedly I didn't know much about him until a couple of days ago. Interesting move and I like it. Also have read that assistant coach Matt Daniels is the leader to take over for Bones.

Matt Daniels would be a good move. My son has been friends with him since his playing days with the Rams (They play Xbox together and talk) My son has been a JUCO coach since 2013 here in Cali. He has coached WR's for 2 yrs, then DB's for 3 yrs, then back to WR's and last yr was also promoted to ST's Coordinator. Matt gave him plenty of tips and his first season as STC, they were among the best in the country at the JUCO lvl. Daniels as worked under Bones for a few yrs now, so should be plenty ready to make the move up.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Matt Daniels would be a good move. My son has been friends with him since his playing days with the Rams (They play Xbox together and talk) My son has been a JUCO coach since 2013 here in Cali. He has coached WR's for 2 yrs, then DB's for 3 yrs, then back to WR's and last yr was also promoted to ST's Coordinator. Matt gave him plenty of tips and his first season as STC, they were among the best in the country at the JUCO lvl. Daniels as worked under Bones for a few yrs now, so should be plenty ready to make the move up.
Good to hear more about Daniels and that's great for you son! Congrats!

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
The new challenges are another reason I like going younger here. Sure, older guys have done it before, but they may also have lost that edge. A younger coach may be excited to take challenges on head first.
Plus they bring energy and enthusiasm to their respective rooms/field.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Young hire who will roll up his sleeves and thinktank with McVay and he comes with more coaching experience than I thought he might have (thought he'd go with one of those even greener types). And from a strong coaching tree which is important in terms of knowing how to prepare/gameplan.

Definitely behind this hire and hope it works out. (y)

Oldgeek

I'm old and can't wait another 20 years for a SB W
Name
Steve
I'd love to be a fly on the wall during meetings, with these young coaches. Innovative solutions should abound! If not at least something new.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
So this hire might help the offense figure out how to blow up the defense that walled them up. This could be good...
Could definitely lead to some better concepts when facing certain defenses