Rams hire Brandon Staley as DC

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, I guess Barry did not want to jump on a sinking ship as this is obviously Clay Helton's last year at USC....Overall, Barry brings positive energy and some of the linebackers have been good, but I guess I will always fear that someday as long as he's a position coach with the Rams, there is possibility of him being DC and I never want that to happen IMHO.

That's an irrational fear, Mr. Coach Den.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, I guess Barry did not want to jump on a sinking ship as this is obviously Clay Helton's last year at USC....Overall, Barry brings positive energy and some of the linebackers have been good, but I guess I will always fear that someday as long as he's a position coach with the Rams, there is possibility of him being DC and I never want that to happen IMHO.
Nah I think McVay realizes he is what he is and that's a good position coach. The DC hire should tell us he doesn't view Barry as a DC. Interviewed him 100% out of respect for his time here under Wade.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Nah I think McVay realizes he is what he is and that's a good position coach. The DC hire should tell us he doesn't view Barry as a DC. Interviewed him 100% out of respect for his time here under Wade.

I think it was actually reported that Barry was never actually interviewed for the DC job.

At this point the biggest thing I worry about with the Mcvay Era as it is currently being built is pricing ourselves out of Cap space.

However I do see the long game being played by these guys with a new CBA and locking in absolute different makers across the roster.

Absolutely need to have stable things in place to develop the young talent coming in as we will be relying on that very stability.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
He was interviewed, you might be thinking of the RB coach from Texas. We supposedly liked him but never interviewed him. Barry did get an interview there were a few people tweeting about it.

View: https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1215311930052706308

I don't have the energy to find the report. I remember seeing that tweet about Barry being interviewed and it was a bit before the Stanley hire.

But after the Stanley hire I saw something (to my memory a credible source) that said Barry was never actually interviewed for the DC job. He and Sean had a meeting but it wasn't an interview for that position.

Which kind of fits with him turning down USC and sticking with Asst. Head Coach/ Line backers coach. Mcvay and Barry are likely very close and Mcvay leans on him.

There meeting may have even been about what defensive minds are out there.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't have the energy to find the report. I remember seeing that tweet about Barry being interviewed and it was a bit before the Stanley hire.

But after the Stanley hire I saw something (to my memory a credible source) that said Barry was never actually interviewed for the DC job. He and Sean had a meeting but it wasn't an interview for that position.

Which kind of fits with him turning down USC and sticking with Asst. Head Coach/ Line backers coach. Mcvay and Barry are likely very close and Mcvay leans on him.

There meeting may have even been about what defensive minds are out there.
Like I said I think you're mixing up interviews it was the guy from Texas the RB coach who stayed we never had interest in.

View: https://twitter.com/LindseyThiry/status/1217494340936749056

People hate her around here but she's tapped in.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame

Or maybe Kroenke has more money than USC, or God, and was willing to spend a bit of it.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Joe Barry turns down USC to remain with Rams

Joe Barry turned down an offer to become USC’s defensive coordinator to remain with the Rams, Lindsey Thiry of ESPN reports.

Barry reportedly interviewed for the Rams’ defensive coordinator position last week after the team parted ways with Wade Phillips. The Rams hired Broncos outside linebackers coach Brandon Staley as their new defensive coordinator.

Barry, though, has decided to stay on staff.

He has signed a new contract as the team’s associate head coach/linebackers coach, according to Thiry.

Barry has spent the past three seasons on the Rams’ coaching staff. He served as Washington’s defensive coordinator in 2015 and 2016 and also ran the defense for the Lions in 2007 and 2008.