Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher - Training Camp – July 31, 2014

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
are you talking about MoAx or Cody. Cody's head shouldnt be spinning as much he has a year under his belt. Although Williams is adding his wrinkles the defense is still basically the same isnt it.
referring to Alexander. Cody is the one who is telling Mo where to line up, and communicating most of the adjustments to the secondary with the 2nd unit.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
are you talking about MoAx or Cody. Cody's head shouldnt be spinning as much he has a year under his belt. Although Williams is adding his wrinkles the defense is still basically the same isnt it.
Great question...Coach, anyone, Does this defense look basically the same? Could it? With all the Williams wrinkles...And he's talking about Mo Alexander....

BD-TomCat

Rookie
How is Cody doing in TC. Improvement over last year? Will he be able to push Mcleod for a starting position.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I'm just not as impressed with McLeod as some other posters are.

It was my hope that an upgrade to McLeod could be found in the draft. Perhaps one was available in the 3rd instead of Mason?

I'm a bit disappointed, frankly. I anticipate that McLeod will be the most attacked player on our D this season. It's almost as if our generally considered weakest D position from '13 remained unaddressed. Isn't that a draft fail? Sigh...
Really? The kid was a Rookie last year. Suppose there is no chance he could improve. And zero snaps have occurred this season and you don't know who might have been available and if anyone available would have ACTUALLY been an upgrade yet it is a draft fail? I guess we'll see but once you got out of the first round in this draft, the safety prospects were mediocre at best. There has to be a better option there to draft before anyone can say we should have drafted a Safety instead of Mason.

I have no problem with the idea that you think Safety should have been addressed and may still be our weakest position but calling it a draft fail because we didn't pick up some 3rd round Safety that would likely never see the field this year?

Alan

Legend
RamFan503 with clear vision:
I guess we'll see but once you got out of the first round in this draft, the safety prospects were mediocre at best. There has to be a better option there to draft before anyone can say we should have drafted a Safety instead of Mason.

I have no problem with the idea that you think Safety should have been addressed and may still be our weakest position but calling it a draft fail because we didn't pick up some 3rd round Safety that would likely never see the field this year?
I agree with your thoughts about the availability of FSs in the draft after the first round. The only player we could have drafted instead of Tre Mason in the 3rd round was this guy:
1737623.jpg

Terrence Brooks, FS
FSU.png

Height: 5-11 Weight: 198
Class: Sr Hometown: Dunnellon, FL
Prospect Rank: 67 Position Rank: 3 Drafted by: Baltimore
A three-star DB recruit, Brooks committed to Florida State over Miami, Notre Dame and Purdue, spending most of his true freshman season on the bench. He saw more playing time as a sophomore before earning the starting FS job as a junior, starting 26 games the past two seasons with consistent results, earning All-ACC Second Team honors as a senior.

An underrated member of the ballyhooed Seminole defense, Brooks wasn't a top recruit like most of his teammates, but he worked hard each day to prove he belonged, something that was clear by the time he was a senior - very confident and driven individual. Brooks played a lot of centerfield this past season, showing off his range and football instincts - very smart, studious and detailed, knowing how to identify his keys.

He is an inconsistent tackler and needs to tweak a few things, but he can player near the LOS or in the deep half of the field. Brooks is a versatile safety who can contribute in a number of areas as a jack-of-all-trades type of skill-set - a 2nd-3rd round pick with the football acumen and athleticism to develop into a NFL starter.
I wasn't impressed with anything I read about him but I didn't evaluate any tape on him. Perhaps one of our experts could weigh in on him.

He did have experience in his senior year playing center field.

What say you @jrry32 ? Do you think this guy was/is any good and worth a 3rd round pick?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree with your thoughts about the availability of FSs in the draft after the first round. The only player we could have drafted instead of Tre Mason in the 3rd round was this guy:
1737623.jpg

Terrence Brooks, FS
FSU.png

Height: 5-11 Weight: 198
Class: Sr Hometown: Dunnellon, FL
Prospect Rank: 67 Position Rank: 3 Drafted by: Baltimore
A three-star DB recruit, Brooks committed to Florida State over Miami, Notre Dame and Purdue, spending most of his true freshman season on the bench. He saw more playing time as a sophomore before earning the starting FS job as a junior, starting 26 games the past two seasons with consistent results, earning All-ACC Second Team honors as a senior.

An underrated member of the ballyhooed Seminole defense, Brooks wasn't a top recruit like most of his teammates, but he worked hard each day to prove he belonged, something that was clear by the time he was a senior - very confident and driven individual. Brooks played a lot of centerfield this past season, showing off his range and football instincts - very smart, studious and detailed, knowing how to identify his keys.

He is an inconsistent tackler and needs to tweak a few things, but he can player near the LOS or in the deep half of the field. Brooks is a versatile safety who can contribute in a number of areas as a jack-of-all-trades type of skill-set - a 2nd-3rd round pick with the football acumen and athleticism to develop into a NFL starter.
I wasn't impressed with anything I read about him but I didn't evaluate any tape on him. Perhaps one of our experts could weigh in on him.

He did have experience in his senior year playing center field.

What say you @jrry32 ? Do you think this guy was/is any good and worth a 3rd round pick?

I liked Brooks but he's not an immediate fix type of guy. Athletic FS with upside that'll need some time and he's reportedly a bit behind with Baltimore so they made the right call. Personally, I thought his teammate, LaMarcus Joyner...our LaMarcus Joyner...was the best FS in the draft. But the Rams seem to want to use him at NCB.

Alan

Legend
jrry32 answering the call:
I liked Brooks but he's not an immediate fix type of guy. Athletic FS with upside that'll need some time and he's reportedly a bit behind with Baltimore so they made the right call. Personally, I thought his teammate, LaMarcus Joyner...our LaMarcus Joyner...was the best FS in the draft. But the Rams seem to want to use him at NCB.
Thanks jrry. That was my assessment too but it's always good to get an experts opinion.

I wish they'd use Joyner at FS and NCB. Maybe they think it's too much for a rookie to absorb his first year. So far, NCB appears to be the bigger need.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thanks jrry. That was my assessment too but it's always good to get an experts opinion.

I wish they'd use Joyner at FS and NCB. Maybe they think it's too much for a rookie to absorb his first year. So far, NCB appears to be the bigger need.

Possibly. They may just see him having a greater impact at NCB and think McLeod is passable at FS. Hopefully, they're right.