Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher - Training Camp – July 31, 2014

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
(On S Rodney McLeod’s camp so far and what he wants to see from him this season)

“It’s been, midseason on last year right through the final game and throughout the off-season and camp, nothing but improvement. He gets it, he feels good, he’s got a great feel for the defense. He and T.J. (McDonald) are really doing a good job communicating together, getting people lined up. The positions are interchangeable, so there’s flexibility there and then of course, you can’t say enough about his special teams contribution. He’s going to start at free safety, going to play on a couple teams and be productive for us.”

(On DE William Hayes, T Jake Long and C Scott Wells’s return to the field and how that feels)
“And Scott got some reps. It’s great to have William and Jake back there. They’ve been working hard. We’ve just got to ease them back into it, no issues today so we’ll get some more reps tomorrow but it’s good to get them back in. They’re both excited. Good to have Jake’s presence in the offensive huddle again, so that’s encouraging. We’re close. Two came back today, we’ve got a couple guys who are just a day or two away but we’re in good shape right now.”

(On LB James Laurinatis’s ankle)
“Yeah, I don’t know anything about it right now. He got stepped on we’re going to check it out.”

(On Maurice Alexander’s progress so far)
“Moe’s doing well. Moe had a little setback right at the end of OTA’s. We had to scope him, so he was a little bit behind but he used the time very well to get back in shape. He’s not had any setbacks. He’s doing a good job. He’s flashing on teams, showing things on teams and has a feel for what he’s doing. It’s a big pre-season for him I’m sure to get a lot of snaps.”

(On what’s impressed him the most about QB Sam Bradford)
“We are getting a lot more explosive plays. Sam’s throwing the ball real well. The balls going down the field on time to Kenny (Britt) and to (Brian) Quick and to Tavon (Austin) and Cookie (Jared Cook) and all the guys. But that’s the thing that’s been most impressive. Now, before you put the shoulder pads on there’s a lot of congestion in the pocket, but now the pocket’s starting to clean itself up because offense has pads on things are starting to even out a little bit, so we’re getting time to make those throws.”

(On if he’s still installing and if he still has a ways to go)
“Oh yeah, we’ve got a ways. This is the fifth practice and we’ll be installing probably through practice No. 12, 14. Then our approach, we’ll talk next week about our approach to preseason and how much you do and how much you play, those kind of things. We’ll probably be pretty basic in the preseason and continue installing you’ right through.”

(On Jake Long’s recovery from ACL injury)
“It’s hard to imagine, because back then as you guys know a meniscus (tear), you were casted from the waist down. Now you’re back in three weeks on a meniscus’ repair. Yeah it is, it’s remarkable what they’re doing. With what we have on our side, the medical attention, the capabilities in addition to the equipment and then you’ve got an athlete like Jake that can just push right through it. It’s hard to imagine immediately after surgery on an ACL your main concern is range of motion as opposed to years ago they just lock you down in a cast forever.”

CoachO

Hall of Fame
(On S Rodney McLeod’s camp so far and what he wants to see from him this season)

“It’s been, midseason on last year right through the final game and throughout the off-season and camp, nothing but improvement. He gets it, he feels good, he’s got a great feel for the defense. He and T.J. (McDonald) are really doing a good job communicating together, getting people lined up. The positions are interchangeable, so there’s flexibility there and then of course, you can’t say enough about his special teams contribution. He’s going to start at free safety, going to play on a couple teams and be productive for us.”

(On Maurice Alexander’s progress so far)
“Moe’s doing well. Moe had a little setback right at the end of OTA’s. We had to scope him, so he was a little bit behind but he used the time very well to get back in shape. He’s not had any setbacks. He’s doing a good job. He’s flashing on teams, showing things on teams and has a feel for what he’s doing. It’s a big pre-season for him I’m sure to get a lot of snaps.”

Both of these comments are very telling to me. First of all, anyone who thinks there is still a competition for the Free Safety job should read this again. It's McLeod's job to lose. Case closed.

And the bolded portion of the comments on Alexander says all you need to see. He is flashing on "teams" which is where he will make his contribution this year. I look for him to be this year's Armstrong as the Special Teams demon.

Last edited:

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Both of these comment are very telling to me. First of all, anyone who thinks there is still a competition for the Fee Safety job should read this again. It's McLeod's job to lose. Case closed.

And the bolded portion of the comments on Alexander says all you need to see. He is flashing on "teams" which is where he will make his contribution this year. I look for him to be this year's Armstrong as the Special Teams demon.

We might improve upon that record on punt coverage. We picked up some aggressive rookies!

Hopefully they've worked out the holding and blocks in the back as well. Like to see Tavon take 2-3 to the house.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
McLeod being broadcasted as the starting safety is a bit of a concern to me. It's great that he is improving but he needed a lot of work last year. I was hoping there would be strong conpetition at S instead of such an easy decision.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
McLeod being broadcasted as the starting safety is a bit of a concern to me. It's great that he is improving but he needed a lot of work last year. I was hoping there would be strong conpetition at S instead of such an easy decision.

Don't worry, the safeties won't get to do much. By the time the ball is snapped, the quarterback will already be sacked.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
Both of these comments are very telling to me. First of all, anyone who thinks there is still a competition for the Free Safety job should read this again. It's McLeod's job to lose. Case closed.

McLeod could work in GW's D if hes gonna play that deep safety a lot. He can do better coming up to help make a play than drop back. Maybe Moe's to take in a season or two.

Dick84

I've thought all along McLeod would be the starter. I just don't think he was that bad... especially as the season went on. He'll be a year better.. and won't have to switch to covering the slot. He can focus on one position.
I think with a healthy McD next to him as well as the improvements around him... the D will be just fine.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I'm just not as impressed with McLeod as some other posters are.

It was my hope that an upgrade to McLeod could be found in the draft. Perhaps one was available in the 3rd instead of Mason?

I'm a bit disappointed, frankly. I anticipate that McLeod will be the most attacked player on our D this season. It's almost as if our generally considered weakest D position from '13 remained unaddressed. Isn't that a draft fail? Sigh...

Oldgeek

I'm old and can't wait another 20 years for a SB W
Name
Steve
I hesitate to judge any of the DBs from the play last season. Walton played such a soft D, it seemed to give up the completion rather than close man coverage.
My only fear is the rules may make GW aggressive D too brutal for the current "safety first" NFL.

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
Kinda weird that he said "the positions are interchangeable" and "he's gonna start at free safety."

I has a confuse.

I guess he means that free safety and strong safety will both have interchangeable responsibilities?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Kinda weird that he said "the positions are interchangeable" and "he's gonna start at free safety."

I has a confuse.

I guess he means that free safety and strong safety will both have interchangeable responsibilities?

Right you think are I.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
I think McLeod was steady enough last year to give him a shot this year. If he doesn't improve this year I don't doubt they'll replace him next offseason

CoachO

Hall of Fame
McLeod being broadcasted as the starting safety is a bit of a concern to me. It's great that he is improving but he needed a lot of work last year. I was hoping there would be strong competition at S instead of such an easy decision.

While I understand your concern, I think we tend to lose sight of a couple major issues that impacted McLeod last year. First and foremost was the overall impact that Tim Walton had on the defense, and more specifically the secondary as a unit. And the other major factor was McLeod being forced into split duties as the Nickel back after Finnegan's implosion.

So far in camp, McLeod is showing the same sort of instincts that he demonstrated last year in camp. He is the best on the roster at reading plays AS THEY DEVELOP, and anticipating where and when to make a break on the ball. While he may not always get there in time, there have been enough instances where he would make a play from the deep single safety position that gives me hope.

My biggest concerns still remain his inconsistent tackling, and since they just don't do any of that in camp, it's difficult to gauge any progress in that area.

I will be the first to agree with you, regarding the competition at the position. I was hopeful that Cody Davis would be given some consideration, and while he is getting all the 2nd unit reps at that position, for Fisher to come out and make such strong statements regarding McLeod, to me, is telling.

BD-TomCat

Rookie
I wasnt dissipointed with Mcleods play last season. Did he make some mistakes yes but thats to be expected. What I liked about his play is what Coach O said. He shows good natural instincts for the position and actually looks for the ball when its in the air. My only issue with him is his Tackling and Size. I'm not a fan of Small Safeties. Hoping by middle of the year Cody Davis or MoAx is Ready to challenge for the position

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I wasnt dissipointed with Mcleods play last season. Did he make some mistakes yes but thats to be expected. What I liked about his play is what Coach O said. He shows good natural instincts for the position and actually looks for the ball when its in the air. My only issue with him is his Tackling and Size. I'm not a fan of Small Safeties. Hoping by middle of the year Cody Davis or MoAx is Ready to challenge for the position

Not saying it couldn't change, but right now, Alexander is strictly taking reps as McDonald's backup. With C. Davis behind McLeod. There is a noticeable difference this year is the amount of time McLeod/Davis are the single high safety, as opposed to McDonald/Alexander.

I know Fisher likes to say the positions are interchangeable, but there has been a clear difference in how they are lining up this camp as compared to last.

So, with that in mind, I would imagine Alexander will not be on the field much along side McDonald.

Last edited:

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
Not saying it couldn't change, but right now, Alexander is strictly taking reps as McDonald's backup. With C. Davis behind McLeod. There is a noticeable difference this year is the amount of time McLeod/Davis are he single high safety, as opposed to McDonald/Alexander.

I know Fisher likes to say the positions are interchangeable, but there has been a clear difference in how they are lining up this camp as compared to last.

So, with that in mind, I would imagine Alexander will not be on the field much along side McDonald.

Although going down the road a bit, I can see how that may be subject to change, say next offseason, given how excited Fisher had seemed to be by both guys (Alexander and McDonald, that is) and Williams re: Alexander.

Probably more of a long term thing though, I would suspect.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I echo all concerns, especially Coach's with tackling and this
My only issue with him is his Tackling and Size. I'm not a fan of Small Safeties. Hoping by middle of the year Cody Davis or MoAx is Ready to challenge for the position
which was my number 1 problem with McLeod. TJ as well (as far as tackling), but I've seen TJ be a very good tackler in college, and he seemed to settle down after he returned from his injury.
McLeod...starting...meh....Lets just hold our horses, still time for Mo Alexander to snatch a spot...But Fish is gonna play the best 11. First preseason game in 7 days....Hope Mo gets some first half run...or at least all of the 3rd & 4th quarters...I'll look to see the improvement from games 1 & 2 then 3...

Last edited:

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I echo all concerns, especially Coach's with tackling and this , which was my number 1 problem with McLeod. TJ as well, but I've seen TJ be a very good tackler in college, and he seemed to settle down after he returned from his injury.
McLeod...starting...meh....Lets just hold our horses, still time for Mo Alexander to snatch a spot...But Fish is gonna play the best 11. First preseason game in 7 days....Hope Mo gets some first half run...or at least all of the 3rd & 4th quarters...I'll look to see the improvement from games 1 & 2 then 3...

Based on the fact that he is getting exclusively 2nd unit reps, I would expect he will see plenty of 1st half reps. But I hope you don't have your hopes set too high. He just isn't making any flash plays at this point to make you say he's gonna be anything more than a ST guy.

He is way behind the learning curve, missing OTAs, and coming in raw to begin with. Athletically, you can see why they like him. But as is the case with most rookies, just playing fast is a challenge, because they are still in "think first" and react second.

FRO

Legend

I think most rational people expected this. I didn't think McLeod was horrible last year. We can obviously do better than him, but he is much better than Dahl and can hopefully be an average FS for us. As far as Alexander, he only had one year of playing at the position. He is raw. I would expect little from him on defense and a lot from him on special teams.

BD-TomCat

Rookie
Based on the fact that he is getting exclusively 2nd unit reps, I would expect he will see plenty of 1st half reps. But I hope you don't have your hopes set too high. He just isn't making any flash plays at this point to make you say he's gonna be anything more than a ST guy.

He is way behind the learning curve, missing OTAs, and coming in raw to begin with. Athletically, you can see why they like him. But as is the case with most rookies, just playing fast is a challenge, because they are still in "think first" and react second.

are you talking about MoAx or Cody. Cody's head shouldnt be spinning as much he has a year under his belt. Although Williams is adding his wrinkles the defense is still basically the same isnt it.