Rams having dinner with DT Tim Settle

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
tenor.gif

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I dunno. Settle is a redshirt sophomore, he's only 20 years old. He's a child! How much can he help the Rams in 2018? Being so young I think he will have a lot of work to do in the weight room before lining up against veteran O-linemen. He might be more of a project than we think.

Work to do in the weight room? Settle is a monster. That kid isn't going to have any problems with power and anchor in the NFL. He has some technical flaws to clean up, but he'd be a tremendous addition due to his ridiculous upside. He has the potential to be an All Pro for us. The comparisons he has gotten have been to guys like Vince Wilfork, Snacks Harrison, Jamal Williams, Brandon Williams, etc.

Kid is perfect for this scheme. Can shoot gaps and disrupt, can stack up blockers and eat up double teams, and can even get after the QB.

dang

Legend
So - general consensus is Settle could be a very nice addition to the DL - but he sounds like he may need a little time to mature and get coached up into the NFL. Are we saying the Rams should consider him with our round 1.23 pick or trade down and pick him up in round 2? If round 2 - how far into round 2 do we think he will last?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
So - general consensus is Settle could be a very nice addition to the DL - but he sounds like he may need a little time to mature and get coached up into the NFL. Are we saying the Rams should consider him with our round 1.23 pick or trade down and pick him up in round 2? If round 2 - how far into round 2 do we think he will last?
Settle would come in day 1 and start. Where to pick him is hard to tell if you trade down too far you could miss him.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
GMs get a feel for who likes who. If the Rams were to take Settle in round one then it's likely that they felt he wouldn't make it to round two. There are a few 3/4 teams picking after the Rams. I think round 1 is too high and would hope they could trade back and still get him. I don't see Vince Wilfork as much as I see Snacks Harrison.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://draftwire.usatoday.com/2018...ve-line-prospect-who-moves-like-a-linebacker/

Meet Tim Settle, the defensive line prospect who moves like a linebacker
By: Jacob Infante

gettyimages-847473996.jpg

Virginia Tech defensive tackle Tim Settle has no interest in being average. He wants to stand out in everything he does.

At 6’3″ and 335 pounds, standing out isn’t difficult for Settle, who is a force to be reckoned with just off of his size alone. Unlike most humans with his frame, though, he is an incredible athlete. He displays athleticism on tape that players 50 pounds lighter than him would love to have.

Settle recently spoke exclusively with Draft Wire about his rare athletic ability, his goals moving forward, being snubbed for first-team all-conference, and his Call of Duty skills as he prepares to be one of the top defensive linemen in the 2018 NFL Draft.

DW: You decided to declare for the 2018 NFL Draft after your redshirt sophomore year at Virginia Tech. What made you decide to make that decision so early?

TS: I just felt that I was ready for that next step. I just wanted to dive into it, as in getting to that next level and being taught differently and developing. I know that I still have some errors and stuff like that, but I felt like I was ready and I think that I can help a team out. I see myself playing in the NFL for 10-plus years. I just felt like it’s the perfect time. As a winner, I just felt like it was the perfect time, especially after the season I had.

DW: You definitely had a strong year in 2017. Is there anything you did differently over the offseason to prepare yourself for that?

TS: A lot of conditioning. I stepped it up, conditioning-wise. I knew that I was gonna be playing more than 40, more than 50 plays a game. [My coaches told me], “You gotta nail this down and make sure you’re conditioned because you’re going to be playing damn near the whole game”, so that was my main thing. I took younger guys under my wing when it came to conditioning.

When you first get to college, when they’re running, you’ve got to find somebody to run with. I felt like, since I’ve been in college for three years, I could finally take somebody under my wing. Conditioning was a big part for me; just conditioning and my work ethic, practicing harder. That was the big thing for me. That just helped my conditioning: just going harder than what I did the year before.

DW: You’re an incredible athlete for your size. Besides the offseason stuff you did, what do you do to maintain that high level of athleticism?

TS:
Growing up, I played running back, so I always had the ball in my hands. You know running backs, you got to be able to outrun people. Running back’s a hard position. I feel like my footwork from me being so young kinda advanced me, and it separates me from the rest of the [defensive] tackles as in how I move. It’s just natural to me. I don’t think I did anything too different, it’s just how smooth I can be. I just try to be smooth.

DW: Coming out of high school as a five-star recruit, you were recruited by virtually every Power 5 school. What made you choose Virginia Tech?

TS:
I was struggling academically out of high school, and Virginia Tech was the only team that was sticking by me. There were a couple of other teams, but Virginia Tech was really sticking by me the whole time. I felt their vibe. I always wanted to play for Coach (Hokies defensive coordinator Bud) Foster growing up. The more I got into football, the more I looked up to him, especially how he coached and how he called plays. I didn’t want to go to those stacked teams that was already good.

DW: Has that relationship with Coach Foster gotten better since you’ve joined the program?

TS:
Oh yeah, definitely. It’s definitely different [when you’re] playing a role. They expected a lot out of me. That connection really got us closer, even though I might get in trouble if I miss an assignment or something like that, but I will understand.

DW: Being a defensive tackle who often lines up as a nose, you tend to do a lot of the dirty work that some defenders might not necessarily want to do. What’s your favorite part about playing the position?

TS:
I would say that I played both [nose tackle and 1-technique] about the same. I like the 1-technique and the nose tackle spot because you’re closest to the ball, you always can make plays off of errors. It’s definitely easy to make a big play. The initial point of contact is instant, you’re the closest one to the ball. I like that because I feel that, sometimes, me getting off the ball how it was, I was messing up snaps. If the center’s worried about snapping the ball, I’d just bull rush them.

Playing center’s a hard spot, because you’re playing in a lot of really good battles, and it can really get messed up (laughs). You gotta be strong: strong and big. It’s hard. I like playing the 3 (technique) because I feel like I can take a lot of double teams on at that position, and that frees up open space – that frees up everything, if it’s a linebacker coming free or it’s a defensive end coming free.

If it’s a pass and I’m coming free, I don’t think anybody can take me one-on-one, in the NFL or college (laughs). If you leave me one-on-one, I’m going to [make a play]. I have that much confidence in myself.

DW: You got named second-team All-ACC this year, which is a pretty big honor on itself, but you don’t seem to be content with that. You wanted to make first-team. Does that light a fire under you in this draft process?

TS:
It’s politics, you know? I played the same amount of teams as the people who got first-team, and I think I was more of a hassle than both of them, but I’m going to keep that to myself. It’s politics. That’s something I can’t help. Everybody knows who should be on it. That’s all that matters to me. If everybody knows who should’ve got it, then that’s all I need. I’d rather it be people knowing than to get an award or a plaque.

DW: What are some goals that you have for the upcoming NFL Scouting Combine?

TS:
Just drop weight; low 320s, high teens. I’ve been working on my combine drills, just trying to focus on that. That’s really going to be a big factor on my stock. People know that I can move, but I think I can show them what’s really up when I’m on the big screen at the combine. I feel like I’m definitely going to turn some heads, though, in my eyes.

DW: Have you set any specific goals for bench press, 40-yard dash or any drills like that?

TS:
Bench press, anywhere about 25 [reps]. 30 would be great. It’s all about momentum and endurance. [For my] 40, a high 4 or a low 5 would be perfect.

DW: When did you realize that you could play at an NFL level?

TS:
I didn’t say it in college, but when I played at Tech it seemed kinda easy. I don’t think I played against anybody that was a hassle, you know? I can’t name anybody that I had to struggle with, because I’ve been double-teamed and triple-teamed.

Anybody that I went 1-on-1 with that gave me a bump, I won’t remember who it was. I’ve been double-teamed for a majority of this past year. I just couldn’t point out anybody that could block me 1-on-1, and I don’t think anybody could.

DW: Another one of my questions was going to be, ‘Who’s the toughest blocker you’ve gone up against,’ but you pretty much just answered that.

TS:
I can’t even name them. I just don’t remember. Me being 1-on-1with someone, I can’t even tell you. Every time I had the chance to be 1-on-1, I took advantage of that opportunity.

DW: You mentioned earlier that you feel that you still have some room to grow. What are some specific areas in your game that you think you need to work on?

TS:
Just technique stuff. We didn’t really play the 1 [technique] at Tech, we played the 2 [technique]. The 1’s basically playing the nose, so that’s basically over center but you’re on more of a tilt. Just stuff like that. Knowing where to strike at the point of attack, and when it’s a pass, just getting off of blocks, and different moves: I’ve got a lot of moves, and I can’t wait to showcase them whenever I play again.

Just working on explosion. A big thing that I’ve noticed is closing my eyes at the point of attack. I worked on that, I don’t do that anymore. That was a big thing. I’m still young: I’m 20 years old. I’ve got a lot to learn. I’m going to be learning until I’m about 35, 40, I’m going to be learning until I’m 50, 60 years old. I’m just going to open up to all the information, I’m going to take it in. I’m going to grasp it all and make sure that I’m doing what I’m supposed to be doing.

I think that, just me receiving all the information I can receive – you can never receive too much information – that’s my mindset. [I’m] just going to keep learning from the players I’m going to play with at the next level, and the coaches, to the technique coaches to the D-line coaches. I’m just going to open up this book and take in everything that I can.

View: https://twitter.com/adross77/status/951575778600374272?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fdraftwire.usatoday.com%2F2018%2F02%2F17%2Fmeet-tim-settle-the-defensive-line-prospect-who-moves-like-a-linebacker%2F

DW: You mentioned your age, and that’s definitely an asset, because, like you said, you’re only 20 years old. You’re going to be 21 by the time the NFL season starts. You’ve got a lot of time to develop. You’re already at a good point as it is, but the fact that you still have a lot of time in the league is definitely going to help you out.

TS:
Yeah. I feel like I’m strong as an athlete, but I feel like my grown-man strength hasn’t changed yet, so when it does come, I’m going to be so excited because that’s just going to be another advantage to me. People already fear me when I come off the ball, but it’s going to be a whole different league. I know how I play, and I know that I haven’t developed that grown-man strength yet, so I know it’s coming.

DW: What NFL team did you root for growing up?

TS:
I grew up a [Washington] Redskins fan because of my family. You had no options: you had to be a Redskins fan in my family (laughs). Like, “Watch football! Don’t worry about it, you’re a Redskins fan.”

W: Which NFL players would you say you’ve modeled your game after?

TS:
I’m a big B.J. Raji fan. That was just my favorite player for a long time. My favorite commercial of all time is the B.J. Raji commercialwhere they’re like, “Show me what you got, Raji,” and you get a little hula.

DW: I read an article saying that you worked with a guy who previously had worked with B.J. Raji. Would you say that he’s helped you take that step to gain some more similarities to him?

TS:
Nah, I mean, how he (trainer Jay Caldwell) teaches is different. He did stuff that I never did before, and he works on stuff that I’m good at, as in getting off of blocks and using hands. He’s that I’ve got good feet, and he utilizes that when he trains me. I feel like he makes you feel comfortable in your gameplay, if that makes sense.

He compares me to B.J. Raji, as in we’re big guys with quick feet, but training wise – he’s not my coach, he’s my technique coach. As in sharpening stuff up and making me feel comfortable with how I play, I don’t think anybody can teach that better than (Caldwell).

DW: Outside of football, how do you like to spend your time?

TS:
I’m not the type of person who likes going out a lot. I grew out of it in college. My first two years I would go out, but I don’t really care for it too much. I’d rather sit in the house on a weekend and just kick my feet up. I’ll go to the mall or something like that, but I don’t like going out to bars or clubs.

I think that’s what separates me from a lot of people, too. I’d rather play the game. I play the PlayStation all day on the weekend if I can. That’s what I’ve been doing a lot with my off time here: just laying down, playing the game. I’m also dieting, as well.

DW: Let’s say I’m an NFL general manager. What would I be getting if I drafted you?

TS:
A hard worker that gives 100 percent. I’m a soul winner. I’m gonna be in the league for 10-plus years, and I’m going to be a franchise player.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
GMs get a feel for who likes who. If the Rams were to take Settle in round one then it's likely that they felt he wouldn't make it to round two. There are a few 3/4 teams picking after the Rams. I think round 1 is too high and would hope they could trade back and still get him. I don't see Vince Wilfork as much as I see Snacks Harrison.

Les is very good at prognosticating I think, going off of McVay's comments in the last draft about things breaking down exactly the way they expected. There's always surprises of course, but I agree that they'll have a good feel for things.

Settle at 23 in this draft is a little too high. Also in drafts when you see a deep class at a position, teams tend to not panic and try to get their guy earlier than they should. DL being very deep, I don't think there's going to be a run on it or anything early on.

There's a bunch of guys going well into round 2 that will probably have similar grades, where teams will need it up I think. But at 23 it's still in that range where we might have that elite player who slides, so I think it all starts there. Rams will have a few guys who, if they're there, they get taken. If not, then yeah I think a trade down is likely, where the team moving up will probably be going after a corner.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Yeah but no way Edmunds makes it out of the top half of the draft. He is a special athlete and still has so much potential.
We'll see when Edmunds goes! I think it depend on how may QB's are taken in the 1st round and there also is lot of talented D-Linemen who could go before him, and then add in WR's/RB's/ CB's, who knows!(y);):cautious:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I've been very clear that after Vea, the BEST NT in the draft for our D is Settle.

I take Settle over Payne for our D straight up.

People who run the 3-4 will be looking. I expect a trade back, but not too far because Snead won't want to get Wagner'd on Settle.

Honestly, if we get Settle, I'll be freaking stoked and the rest of the draft will be icing because Settle in between AD and Brockers will be just phenomenal.
I like what your saying, but could you expand on why you would take Settle over Payne!? Payne may be a little smaller but he's a lot faster! 4.91 40 time vs Settles 5.38!

Ram65

Legend
DW: You definitely had a strong year in 2017. Is there anything you did differently over the offseason to prepare yourself for that?

TS: A lot of conditioning. I stepped it up, conditioning-wise. I knew that I was gonna be playing more than 40, more than 50 plays a game. [My coaches told me], “You gotta nail this down and make sure you’re conditioned because you’re going to be playing damn near the whole game”, so that was my main thing. I took younger guys under my wing when it came to conditioning.

When you first get to college, when they’re running, you’ve got to find somebody to run with. I felt like, since I’ve been in college for three years, I could finally take somebody under my wing. Conditioning was a big part for me; just conditioning and my work ethic, practicing harder. That was the big thing for me. That just helped my conditioning: just going harder than what I did the year before.

This is a big plus. The better shape he is in the better and more he can play. Got to like the hard workers.

DW: Being a defensive tackle who often lines up as a nose, you tend to do a lot of the dirty work that some defenders might not necessarily want to do. What’s your favorite part about playing the position?

TS:
I would say that I played both [nose tackle and 1-technique] about the same. I like the 1-technique and the nose tackle spot because you’re closest to the ball, you always can make plays off of errors. It’s definitely easy to make a big play. The initial point of contact is instant, you’re the closest one to the ball. I like that because I feel that, sometimes, me getting off the ball how it was, I was messing up snaps. If the center’s worried about snapping the ball, I’d just bull rush them.

Playing center’s a hard spot, because you’re playing in a lot of really good battles, and it can really get messed up (laughs). You gotta be strong: strong and big. It’s hard. I like playing the 3 (technique) because I feel like I can take a lot of double teams on at that position, and that frees up open space – that frees up everything, if it’s a linebacker coming free or it’s a defensive end coming free.

If it’s a pass and I’m coming free, I don’t think anybody can take me one-on-one, in the NFL or college (laughs). If you leave me one-on-one, I’m going to [make a play]. I have that much confidence in myself.

He will be a nice fit.

DW: Outside of football, how do you like to spend your time?

TS:
I’m not the type of person who likes going out a lot. I grew out of it in college. My first two years I would go out, but I don’t really care for it too much. I’d rather sit in the house on a weekend and just kick my feet up. I’ll go to the mall or something like that, but I don’t like going out to bars or clubs.

I think that’s what separates me from a lot of people, too. I’d rather play the game. I play the PlayStation all day on the weekend if I can. That’s what I’ve been doing a lot with my off time here: just laying down, playing the game. I’m also dieting, as well.

He will stay out of trouble too. Nice interview. Seems smart and knows what's what. Has good confidence too.

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
I like Settle but if Paybe is close to 23 Snead should try to get him.
I'm thinking how about maybe Harold Landry and pick up Settle in the 2nd or 3rd round? Would fit both need and really amazing talent, although I do like Payne.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I'm thinking how about maybe Harold Landry and pick up Settle in the 2nd or 3rd round? Would fit both need and really amazing talent, although I do like Payne.

I think it's best to go with the best player available that fits a need. Of the three I think it would be Payne.

Maybe Snead would think it's better value to get Landry, then Settle. I think Payne and Okoronkwo or Holland would be a better way to go. But, maybe for future cap implications, having another first round stud in the interior Dline would be slotting too much space to the inside, when his 5th year was up and they wanted to 're sign him. But by that time they could be moving on from Brockers.

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
I think it's best to go with the best player available that fits a need. Of the three I think it would be Payne.

Maybe Snead would think it's better value to get Landry, then Settle. I think Payne and Okoronkwo or Holland would be a better way to go. But, maybe for future cap implications, having another first round stud in the interior Dline would be slotting too much space to the inside, when his 5th year was up and they wanted to 're sign him. But by that time they could be moving on from Brockers.
I hear you on that. Honestly either way I think our needs and where our drafting assets match up and being able to pepper in BPA will work out just fine. We are in a pretty position.

Now my question to you is, hypothetically if we sign Suh, do we draft a talented DT BPA for years to come? That is intriguing to me.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
We had a nearly dominating DL and still drafted AD, so yes.

If the guy is tops on the list by a good margin, you take him.

If it’s a coin flip, then you go with need.