Rams have targeted roster holes and have been filling them with quality FA’s…

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Emphasis quality.

No edge, unfortunately, but I think Ram fans are pleased with these incoming quality players:

Backup RB. Rivers is solid and another RB will surely be drafted to keep the pipeline full.
3rd WR. Demarcus Robinson was a quality signing and at a great price. Stafford loves him and he should have a productive year, indeed.
RG. Dotson was on everybody’s wish list. Elite player at a fair price.
LG. Jackson was a pleasant surprise. A semi-elite player that will be part of a terrific Ram IOL trio. A fair priced signing, too.
TE. I’m warming up to this Parkinson kid. The more I learn, the more I like. Caley sounded ecstatic. Could be a sleeper signing when all is said and done. Sounds like TE hole has been addressed.
Edge. Hoecht is a band-aid, imo. This is the one signing that I don’t consider a quality one. But he is insurance and should have value on ST, I guess.
CB. Darious Williams has been described as best NFL value signing FA of the offseason so far. Fills one of Rams screaming needs on D.
S. This Curl kid sure sounds like a steal. Young, effective, and very reasonably priced. Another screaming need addressed.

With the exception of Hoecht, the common theme on the above incoming players is quality with proven NFL results. And no head cases.

All in all, I think most of us are very pleased with the additions of the above signings.

Now, about that elephant in the room? Jourdan has indicated that Rams are reluctant to re-structure Stafford at this point. So I guess that they will sign some 3rd tier edge late in FA to compete with Hoecht and are gambling that a quality edge will be there at #19. Not ideal, but it is a reasonable expectation.

Rams have 4 picks among the top 99 and I think they intend to finish off this roster in at least 3 positions with their earliest picks. BTW, never rule out a trade down with Snead if a juicy one becomes available.

My prediction for positions to be picked in some order are these:

Edge. Gotta be with our 1st pick, right?
CB
WR

This draft is well stocked at those 3 positions of Rams need. Almost like Snead was planning this all along, huh?

This should fill the last crushing needs on this roster, don’t you think?

By pick #99 and beyond I think Snead will be on a free roll and simply grabbing BPA’s that he and his scouts have identified. I think Snead will try to trade up and back into the 4th round using some of his later picks if he can.

If they do half as well in this draft as they did in 2023 draft we will all be ecstatic.

Thoughts?
I’m very optimistic because the Rams hold a 1st rounder that will prove to be very valuable. We will see plenty of trade down offers at 19. But I think the Rams need at least two starters in this draft and the best way to insure one is pulling the trigger at 19. I’m a trade down guy every year but this year feels different. Good fortune has it that their is depth this year at OL, CB, and WR. So the Rams can focus Edge or even DT at 19. Pick 52 could land a starter too but with 10 picks in the pocket at that point, they could trade up. They will sign a FA that slips through the cracks on the cheap. Enjoy the ride boys. We are in good hands.

And as a footnote, don’t sleep on Hoecht. Yes, keep the man out of coverage but he has a pretty decent ranking when it comes to pressuring the QB.

Last edited:

Ram65

Legend
With the exception of Hoecht, the common theme on the above incoming players is quality with proven NFL results. And no head cases.

Very nice writeup 43. So far so good for the Rams offseason moves. I'm looking forward to watching a smash-mouth offensive line.

I do think Hoecht has value for the Rams. He did get a little better in coverage as the season moved on. It's hard to blame him for giving up plays trying to cover RBs/TE by himself. He was close to making a play he just has to learn when to turn and look for the ball. He isn't made for that. He does give some versatility to the Rams. even before AD retired keeping Hoecht was a good move as a versatile/rational player.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Rams have been hitting in the later rounds. I’m pretty confident this draft will tie our entire roster together, regardless of what they pick in the 1st.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Well....poop shit.

200w.gif

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
They need to hit on this draft class because when you look down the road 3 yrs just look at the number of players whose contracts will be up.

Now, some may get extended before that, but potentially the entire 2023 draft class will be up, which could amount to 6 or more key players. Then you have this FA class, Jackson, Dotson, & Williams. Then they also might be dealing with a Stafford retirement of he doesn't retire prior to that.

That's a busy offseason to get a lot of stuff taken care of. And hopefully the coach is still all in by that time as well.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
They need to hit on this draft class because when you look down the road 3 yrs just look at the number of players whose contracts will be up.

Now, some may get extended before that, but potentially the entire 2023 draft class will be up, which could amount to 6 or more key players. Then you have this FA class, Jackson, Dotson, & Williams. Then they also might be dealing with a Stafford retirement of he doesn't retire prior to that.

That's a busy offseason to get a lot of stuff taken care of. And hopefully the coach is still all in by that time as well.

I don’t disagree… and isn’t that the same for everyone?

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Yep and were in a better position than most because we had the draft class that we had last year.

And really to me that means we actually do not HAVE to hit on this draft. We're playoff contenders without adding a single pick right now - we need 2-3 contributors at key roles to be Super Bowl contenders.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Well, we have an inordinate amount of key players out of last yrs draft class, and a few others may emerge. So that kind of makes the Rams unique in that way. Then they also signed 2 key OL FA's, who along with Avila, will mean the entire interior OL will be up for a new contract or will have to be replaced. That's also unique.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Yep and were in a better position than most because we had the draft class that we had last year.

And really to me that means we actually do not HAVE to hit on this draft. We're playoff contenders without adding a single pick right now - we need 2-3 contributors at key roles to be Super Bowl contenders.

Nah, missing on a draft can really set a team back.

However, I’m not concerned as I’m confident that the Rams have identified a metric or matrix thereof that using their homegrown analytics, they are identifying players other teams are missing.

I probably won’t know most of the guys we draft, but I didn’t know who Kobie Turner or Puca Nacua were, either, so I won’t sweat it.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack

I harp on patterns and pattern recognition all the time… can’t shake it being autistic…

That said, if I figure it out, I’m not saying shit beyond “I tried to look at it through Snead’s eyes and this is a good move” cuz this advantage if it can be sustained is Ozzie Newsome levels of “better than everyone else”

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
Emphasis quality.

No edge, unfortunately, but I think Ram fans are pleased with these incoming quality players:

Backup RB. Rivers is solid and another RB will surely be drafted to keep the pipeline full.
3rd WR. Demarcus Robinson was a quality signing and at a great price. Stafford loves him and he should have a productive year, indeed.
RG. Dotson was on everybody’s wish list. Elite player at a fair price.
LG. Jackson was a pleasant surprise. A semi-elite player that will be part of a terrific Ram IOL trio. A fair priced signing, too.
TE. I’m warming up to this Parkinson kid. The more I learn, the more I like. Caley sounded ecstatic. Could be a sleeper signing when all is said and done. Sounds like TE hole has been addressed.
Edge. Hoecht is a band-aid, imo. This is the one signing that I don’t consider a quality one. But he is insurance and should have value on ST, I guess.
CB. Darious Williams has been described as best NFL value signing FA of the offseason so far. Fills one of Rams screaming needs on D.
S. This Curl kid sure sounds like a steal. Young, effective, and very reasonably priced. Another screaming need addressed.

All in all, I think most of us are very pleased with the additions of the above signings.

Now, about that elephant in the room? Jourdan has indicated that Rams are reluctant to re-structure Stafford at this point. So I guess that they will sign some 3rd tier edge late in FA to compete with Hoecht and are gambling that a quality edge will be there at #19. Not ideal, but it is a reasonable expectation.

Rams have 4 picks among the top 99 and I think they intend to finish off this roster in at least 3 positions with their earliest picks. BTW, never rule out a trade down with Snead if a juicy one becomes available.

My prediction for positions to be picked in some order are these:

Edge. Gotta be with our 1st pick, right?
CB
WR

This draft is well stocked at those 3 positions of Rams need. Almost like Snead was planning this all along, huh?

This should fill the last crushing needs on this roster, don’t you think?

By pick #99 and beyond I think Snead will be on a free roll and simply grabbing BPA’s that he and his scouts have identified. I think Snead will try to trade up and back into the 4th round using some of his later picks if he can.

If they do half as well in this draft as they did in 2023 draft we will all be ecstatic.

Thoughts?
Then came ADs retirement and it feels like a house of cards! But, agreed. Let’s keep pushing! Plenty of talent even if not generational :)

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
Very nice writeup 43. So far so good for the Rams offseason moves. I'm looking forward to watching a smash-mouth offensive line.

I do think Hoecht has value for the Rams. He did get a little better in coverage as the season moved on. It's hard to blame him for giving up plays trying to cover RBs/TE by himself. He was close to making a play he just has to learn when to turn and look for the ball. He isn't made for that. He does give some versatility to the Rams. even before AD retired keeping Hoecht was a good move as a versatile/rational player.
I think out of the two - and I like Hoecht for all he does and not inconsiderable talent - Jonah Williams is the better player. I hope we resign him

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Nah, missing on a draft can really set a team back.

However, I’m not concerned as I’m confident that the Rams have identified a metric or matrix thereof that using their homegrown analytics, they are identifying players other teams are missing.

I probably won’t know most of the guys we draft, but I didn’t know who Kobie Turner or Puca Nacua were, either, so I won’t sweat it.
That’s it brother! We are in good hands and it’s damn exciting.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Then came ADs retirement and it feels like a house of cards! But, agreed. Let’s keep pushing! Plenty of talent even if not generational :)
AD was a generational talent for a decade in the NFL. That’s HOF stuff, first ballot. I think AD was starting to drop off but he was so good we didn’t notice. But he knew it. His body probably was talking to him too. He played violent and explosive and there’s a born on date on that. I’m sure McVay and Snead know this too and the strategy we have been witnessing is a result of that. This house is being built on gristle and beef. Enjoy!

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Rams have been hitting in the later rounds. I’m pretty confident this draft will tie our entire roster together, regardless of what they pick in the 1st.
They got 3 starters from #36 - 89 last year. Plus Puka at 177 and Allen (who looks like starting material) 2 slots previous. In 2022, they got Durant (9 starts last year), Kyren, Lake (who missed time as a rookie) and Kendrick from 142-212. Their first two in 2021 #52 & #103 were good and Bobby Brown #117, who can either join the larger group or Bruss & Bennett.

They've been doing pretty well. No first round pick the last time and no first or second the previous year. Sure they need to nail this draft.....their best pick was at #36....but they have a slot 17 places higher. I have faith they will continue doing it.

Ram65

Legend
I think out of the two - and I like Hoecht for all he does and not inconsiderable talent - Jonah Williams is the better player. I hope we resign him

I always liked and rooted for Jonah Williams over Hoecth. I thought he would be a better pass rusher. I hoped he would get more PT and make more plays. He has had some flashes.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
They got 3 starters from #36 - 89 last year. Plus Puka at 177 and Allen (who looks like starting material) 2 slots previous. In 2022, they got Durant (9 starts last year), Kyren, Lake (who missed time as a rookie) and Kendrick from 142-212. Their first two in 2021 #52 & #103 were good and Bobby Brown #117, who can either join the larger group or Bruss & Bennett.

They've been doing pretty well. No first round pick the last time and no first or second the previous year. Sure they need to nail this draft.....their best pick was at #36....but they have a slot 17 places higher. I have faith they will continue doing it.
I have flashbacks to that 2020 draft I guess.