Rams have targeted roster holes and have been filling them with quality FA’s…

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Emphasis quality.

No edge, unfortunately, but I think Ram fans are pleased with these incoming quality players:

Backup RB. Rivers is solid and another RB will surely be drafted to keep the pipeline full.
3rd WR. Demarcus Robinson was a quality signing and at a great price. Stafford loves him and he should have a productive year, indeed.
RG. Dotson was on everybody’s wish list. Elite player at a fair price.
LG. Jackson was a pleasant surprise. A semi-elite player that will be part of a terrific Ram IOL trio. A fair priced signing, too.
TE. I’m warming up to this Parkinson kid. The more I learn, the more I like. Caley sounded ecstatic. Could be a sleeper signing when all is said and done. Sounds like TE hole has been addressed.
Edge. Hoecht is a band-aid, imo. This is the one signing that I don’t consider a quality one. But he is insurance and should have value on ST, I guess.
CB. Darious Williams has been described as best NFL value signing FA of the offseason so far. Fills one of Rams screaming needs on D.
S. This Curl kid sure sounds like a steal. Young, effective, and very reasonably priced. Another screaming need addressed.

With the exception of Hoecht, the common theme on the above incoming players is quality with proven NFL results. And no head cases.

All in all, I think most of us are very pleased with the additions of the above signings.

Now, about that elephant in the room? Jourdan has indicated that Rams are reluctant to re-structure Stafford at this point. So I guess that they will sign some 3rd tier edge late in FA to compete with Hoecht and are gambling that a quality edge will be there at #19. Not ideal, but it is a reasonable expectation.

Rams have 4 picks among the top 99 and I think they intend to finish off this roster in at least 3 positions with their earliest picks. BTW, never rule out a trade down with Snead if a juicy one becomes available.

My prediction for positions to be picked in some order are these:

Edge. Gotta be with our 1st pick, right?
CB
WR

This draft is well stocked at those 3 positions of Rams need. Almost like Snead was planning this all along, huh?

This should fill the last crushing needs on this roster, don’t you think?

By pick #99 and beyond I think Snead will be on a free roll and simply grabbing BPA’s that he and his scouts have identified. I think Snead will try to trade up and back into the 4th round using some of his later picks if he can.

If they do half as well in this draft as they did in 2023 draft we will all be ecstatic.

Thoughts?

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Also need an OT, assuming Noteboom is gone abd even if not wouldn't hurt to grab one in the 3rd to develop.

As for edge, don't count out a trade deadline addition next October.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
I agree on OL you can't have enough help there and Noteboom has been a bust. Also need to look at a backup and someone to groom to take over when Stafford decides to leave the game.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
EDGE is the last remaining piece (as a starter) - but a few things to keep in mind about our situation:

The secondary being better CAN help the pass rush, and our secondary is clearly better

Kobie and Byron are likely to improve in year two - which could give us three "plus" pass rushers - which would be the minimum needed IMO

Hampton and Mathis were rookies last year and could turn into serviceable players

So even without drafting or adding anyone, I think our defense is already better than it was last year. If we hit on edge rusher in the draft, all the better. We could also end up adding a vet after the draft as well

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim

Kobie and Byron are likely to improve in year two …
I hope so but I am tempered by the reminder that Young and Turner were two of the oldest rookies in the NFL last year.

Young has already turned 26; and Turner will be 25 next month.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I hope so but I am tempered by the reminder that Young and Turner were two of the oldest rookies in the NFL last year.

Young has already turned 26; and Turner will be 25 next month.

The good news is, a players age preventing them from progressing/improving is really only a thing in Madden

jap

Legend
This how player acquisition should be done in my experience watching the NFL for decades: fill glaring roster holes with FA so the concentration on drafting shifts towards acquiring the best players available for your offensive, defensive, and special teams philosophies.

I believe our favorite Leprechaun rattled a lot! of NFL insiders and media pundits when the supposedly predetermined NFL's 2nd worst franchise in the 2023 preseason predictions capped off a 3-6 start with a torrid 7-1 finish. With no first round picks in the 2023 draft, 3 or 4 of our picks (i.e., Steve Avila, Kobie Turner, Puka Nacua, and possibly Byron Young) played like bonafide 1st round selections. Matthew Stafford resurrected himself from the 'dead' like a phoenix arising from the ashes, and AD99 remained a potent force, even while surrounded by a 'bunch of kids.' Now the non-Horns world is dreading what the Leprechaun will do for an encore in 2024 with a few more dollars to spend to restock the talent shelves. Be afriad!, be very afraid!!! :fistbump1:

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
The good news is, a players age preventing them from progressing/improving is really only a thing in Madden
Maybe but not necessarily.

One of the many things that impressed me about Young and Turner last year was their consistency. Neither seemed to hit a rookie-wall. Both were productive late in the season. They did not play like rookies, in my opinion. That quality was also reflected in their attitudes. They seemed like mature professionals ... 25 and 24 year old young men.

Hey, I'm with you in hoping they improve. That would be great. But I will be happy with repeat performances.

When I look at a young player; and, almost expect, improvement in his 2nd and 3rd years, I think of someone like Bobby Brown. Despite having three seasons to Young and Turner's one, Brown is younger than both.

Brown was a 21 year old rookie, and barely saw the field (22 snaps). Then he was a back-up for a portion of his 2nd year, and flashed. Last year, at 23, I thought Brown was pretty good. Brown will not turn 24 until August.

fearsomefour

Legend
Love what the Rams have done this year so far.
Curl is a emerging, very talented safety.
Re-sign Witherspoon and the secondary goes from a weakness to a strength.
I want Hunter at Edge, but, its better to not overpay.
Will be interesting to see how they resolved the Edge position.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Maybe but not necessarily.

One of the many things that impressed me about Young and Turner last year was their consistency. Neither seemed to hit a rookie-wall. Both were productive late in the season. They did not play like rookies, in my opinion. That quality was also reflected in their attitudes. They seemed like mature professionals ... 25 and 24 year old young men.

Hey, I'm with you in hoping they improve. That would be great. But I will be happy with repeat performances.

When I look at a young player; and, almost expect, improvement in his 2nd and 3rd years, I think of someone like Bobby Brown. Despite having three seasons to Young and Turner's one, Brown is younger than both.

Brown was a 21 year old rookie, and barely saw the field (22 snaps). Then he was a back-up for a portion of his 2nd year, and flashed. Last year, at 23, I thought Brown was pretty good. Brown will not turn 24 until August.

I think Kobie was more consistent as the year went on - if we get a full season out of him versus what we had last season, look out.

Byron's rush was inconsistent all year IMO - I'd expect him to learn more/better pass rush moves AND get stronger.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
The problem with signing a top tier edge rusher is it will take a lot of cap dollars limiting what they can do elsewhere. They've done a good job addressing key areas. Especially the offensive line.

My guess is the edge position will be a priority in the draft. There should be a number of good options at 19. Lately I'm seeing more mocks having guys like Laitu, Verse and Chop Robinson still available at 19. Doubt Dallas Turner will be there at 19. Robinson is the one who peaks my interest. Still kinda raw but he's got serious burst to get in the backfield. Laitu would probably be the safer pick.

Tumak61

Pro Bowler
Name
Tumak61
With Donald now gone it would seem a good idea to ad a veteran edge rusher to pair with Turner. Two or three solid edge rushers and Turner on the inside should give the Defense a consistent pass rush. Also seems like the signing of Hoecht with the front office knowing Donald was going to retire means he'll be rushing from the inside this season I would think.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Remaining needs:

EDGE (1)
DT (2)
CB (1)
ILB (1)
WR (1)
RB (1)
T/G (1)
C (1)
S (1)
K

I don't know the players, but there's your draft class by position right there

PARAM

Hall of Fame
With Donald now gone it would seem a good idea to ad a veteran edge rusher to pair with Turner. Two or three solid edge rushers and Turner on the inside should give the Defense a consistent pass rush. Also seems like the signing of Hoecht with the front office knowing Donald was going to retire means he'll be rushing from the inside this season I would think.
I thought the same thing......which makes him more than a "band-aid", non-quality signing. The guy plays his ass off and had the 4th most sacks on the team last year. Attitude free, team players are never non-quality signings, particularly when they can play multiple positions.....rush LB, DE, DT. Just eliminate the coverage assignments. Maybe Curl's acquisition does just that?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Remove AD's pressures on the interior and pressures are even more a priority now than they were before, and they were already our top need on defense.

Keeping Boom around at a discount and assuming that AJax doesn't get signed away we are probably gonna wait for next year to address LT. Sucks but there are only so many picks and the greater good is more important than Stafford's blindside comfort.

Feels to me like this is gonna be a big defensive hole plugger draft. Overall here's how I see the priorities:

Starters

1. Edge. No change. Hitting on this would have the most impact for the defense. Rush ability is priority.
2. DT. I have this above corner because we need to stop the run in this division as well.
3. CB. A CB1 type would change this corner group from solid to excellent.
4. WR. We need speed outside the hash to help maximize Stafford's presence.
5. K. Late round probably but they gotta go get one.
6. ILB. Partner for Jones. Feels like we don't quite get to this in 2024.

Depth

7. S. Not sure to what extent safety is viewed as a need by them now. Depends on how they project Lake and the new signing. Late round box tackler and teams guy though is what I expect to see added.
8. RB. Physicality would be welcome.
9. C. This may not be a need if they like someone on the current depth chart.

First four picks feel like they will be some combo of Edge, DT, CB, WR. For myself DT basically replaces LT now on that priority list. Of those positions WR should be strong through round 3 in terms of finding juice. DT feels like it has some dropoff after that early group who should be off sometime in round 2. CB feels stronger in that regard. Edge they take the moment there's a guy they really like. So if it's not there at 19 then they adjust accordingly and maybe with a move down. If it's there then take him.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
EDGE is the last remaining piece (as a starter) - but a few things to keep in mind about our situation:

The secondary being better CAN help the pass rush, and our secondary is clearly better

Kobie and Byron are likely to improve in year two - which could give us three "plus" pass rushers - which would be the minimum needed IMO

Hampton and Mathis were rookies last year and could turn into serviceable players

So even without drafting or adding anyone, I think our defense is already better than it was last year. If we hit on edge rusher in the draft, all the better. We could also end up adding a vet after the draft as well
No it's not we need a FS, ILB to go with Jones, an massive upgrade at Edge and CB Williams negates Witherspoon and don't forget a strong back up RB and Kicker and kick returner so edge of far from the only.

Also relying on edge at #19 is a big risk and may not pan out to year 2 or 3

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Thoughts on signing a vet DL like Leonard Williams to help fill out the DL rotation?
I don't really see much out there at D-Line. Even less if you're thinking pass rush.

Right now, I think the Rams have just four DL under contract ... Kobie Turner, Bobby Brown, Desjuan Johnson and Cory Durden. So some bodies, beyond just draft choices, will need to be added.

I am looking at veteran DL between 275-300 who will not get buried in run defense. Players like Teair Tart, Dean Lowry and Dewaune Smoot; plus I would like to see Jonah Williams back. These would all be guys at or close to the veteran minimum. I mean, there just ain't much.

If the Rams want to add a big-man to team with Brown on run downs, there are several vets out there but I don't know that the Rams would go in that direction. One interesting possibility might be former-Seahawk Bryan Mone who is a 365-lber. He was good a couple years ago before suffering a knee injury very late in 2022, and did not play last year.