Rams have private visits with two FAU running backs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
"Motor" Singletary out of FAU has been the best tackle-breaker in CFB over the past couple of years. I compare him to Brian Westbrook of the Eagles. Small guy but insanely elusive and hard to tackle. He's a jitterbug with elite contact balance. He runs like he's covered in grease. Kerrith Whyte is also an interesting one (the other FAU HB). I liked what little I saw of him, but I had no idea he was in the draft until recently. Here are a couple gifs of Singletary:
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I didn't pick these plays because they were his longest runs of the season. I picked these plays because this kid has some absolutely special traits. Look at the way he moves in the last GIF. He eludes three tacklers behind the LOS using his cutting and stop/start ability. And then you have a number of GIFs showing his special balance. The kid moves like few guys I've ever seen.

Love Singletary

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If TGIII is fine and all this nonsense stops there's really no need to draft another RB in the 3rd or 4th.

One isn't necessarily connected to the other. The Rams already said they want to reduce TG's workload.

xander47

Rookie
One isn't necessarily connected to the other. The Rams already said they want to reduce TG's workload.

What about John Kelly? How are these backs’ ability to pass block? Seems like Kelly couldn’t get onto the field with his inability to block.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
Singletary is interesting, but this class has a lot of 2nd and 3rd tier RB prospects, and no first round talents. The first back could go as late as mid-second. It's possible that there will be a lot of decent RBs available when the Rams pick in the 3rd.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What about John Kelly? How are these backs’ ability to pass block? Seems like Kelly couldn’t get onto the field with his inability to block.

Singletary is both able and willing to block. He's not as good a rusher or receiver as Gurley, but is capable at both. I do think he has a real chance to be the 1b back behind Gurley - good enough that when Gurley is resting, the other team will still need to be concerned - and without the Rams needing to change their system, even though Singletary is not quite the same style of RB as Gurley.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
Is he happy to get Singletary with a kid to late pick. He could return kicks as well as fun the ball as a backup. Matson scares me. Ever since coughing up the ball against the Eagles, I think he's going to do it again.

I've been thinking that IF we use a pick on a RB..it would be nice to get one that can return kicks...

I need to check out Singletary highlights

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I like Kelly. Hopefully, he figures it out as a blocker.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Draft the Best Player Available. Always. I am a firm believer in that. If that happens to be a RB, I want him in horns. Especially as we plan on lessening Gurley's workload, and there are unanswered questions about his knee.

It was widely accepted that we didn't "need" Donald or Gurley at the time. Both were "luxury" picks, with the Rams embarrassment of riches on the defensive line, and Tre Mason being a decently high draft pick himself coming off of a strong rookie season. Not to mention Jeff Fisher's Rams seemingly proving capable of producing a new starting RB each season at the time.

It's a good thing the Rams took those "luxury" picks.

There are some exceptions, of course. Teams only need 1 starting QB, for example. If you strongly believe you have one, and he isn't even close to the end of his career, there's no point in drafting a QB but for grooming a backup. The Rams and Goff definitely fit in that scenario.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I like Kelly. Hopefully, he figures it out as a blocker.

Major concerns there, looked over matched when called upon besides looking slow to the hole against the ones...Again hopefully a year of strength and conditioning helps, but although Kelly looked great in preseason, the Rams needed Anderson because if they went with Kelly, it would have been a different story and not a good one IMHO.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Is he happy to get Singletary with a kid to late pick. He could return kicks as well as fun the ball as a backup. Matson scares me. Ever since coughing up the ball against the Eagles, I think he's going to do it again.
Posting from your phone? :D

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Posting from your phone? :D
Yeah. I know the malady. Also don’t post a whole new thread from your phone while on your break, with videos and pics. (n) Tends to become an auto-correct nightmare.

As for the RB situation, I won’t be surprised about anything. I remember back in the day during “Ground Chuck’s” day carrying 6-7 “feature backs”. :LOL:

Nowadays, some teams carry 7 receivers and 2 backs. Unfortunately, guys go down all the time.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
As for the RB situation, I won’t be surprised about anything. I remember back in the day during “Ground Chuck’s” day carrying 6-7 “feature backs”. :LOL:

1974 Los Angeles Rams
  1. Lawrence McCutcheon
  2. Jim Bertelsen
  3. Tony Baker
  4. John Cappelletti
  5. Cullen Bryant
  6. Les Josephson
  7. Rob Scribner

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
1979 Rams backs
  1. Lawrence McCutcheon
  2. Cullen Bryant
  3. Wendell Tyler
  4. Elvis Peacock
  5. Eddie Hill
  6. Jim Jodat

They had moved on from Ground Chuck, but big Ray Malavasi still kept a stable of running backs.

DdGcgZeW0Ag80HV.jpg:large

b1e4feb34824783dc47d6554163a5e79.jpg

Last edited: