Rams have decision to make on oft-injured Rodger Saffold

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams have decision to make on oft-injured Rodger Saffold
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...ecision-to-make-on-oft-injured-rodger-saffold

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- We're moving closer to the start of the new league year and, along with it, the start of free agency. Which means over the next few weeks, the Los Angeles Rams will be taking a long look at the players already on the roster and determining whether they're worth their projected salary-cap numbers.

Some teams have already begun the process of releasing high-priced veterans to create salary-cap room. So this week, we'll take a look at some players who will come under the microscope for the Rams. (All contract numbers courtesy of ESPN Stats & Info.)

Player: OL Rodger Saffold

Contract status: Signed through 2018.

2016 cap hit: $5.875 million (Base salary becomes guaranteed on third day of league year)

Potential savings: $3.775 million

Why he could go: Put simply, Saffold has rarely been able to stay healthy in his six seasons in the NFL. He missed 11 games in 2015 after suffering yet another right shoulder injury and undergoing surgery to have it fixed. While Saffold managed to play all 16 games in 2014 (one of only two years he's done it), he had surgery on his left shoulder after that season. Beyond the shoulder issues, Saffold has also dealt with various other ailments throughout his career. While Saffold's price tag might not be too cumbersome, it could be considered too much for a player who hasn't proved capable of staying healthy consistently for long stretches.

Why he could stay: As it stands, Saffold still remains the most experienced offensive lineman on the Rams. The team chose to go with a youth movement on the line last year but could still use someone to help guide their young linemen. Now that both of Saffold's shoulders have been repaired, the hope is that he can stay healthy moving forward and he's only 27, which offers hope that if he could finally stay healthy and settle in at guard that he could be the team's best lineman. Perhaps more than any of that, having Saffold's versatility might be more important than ever. Given left tackle Greg Robinson's struggles, having Saffold as insurance for that position could be worth the price, even if it's more than they'd want to pay for a starting guard/backup tackle. If nothing else, keeping Saffold around for another year buys the Rams more time to develop youngsters like Cody Wichmann, Andrew Donnal and Isaiah Battle, not to mention Robinson.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Rams should stay on course with the youth movement, but keep Saffold and Reynolds for veteran leadership and versatility off the bench. Saffold and the Rams, with his injury history, would be more valualble coming in off the bench. With Rams OL history, its a given there will be a season ending injury with the starting OL sometime in pre season, or soon after.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
At this point I think I'd rather have Reynolds than Saffold

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Without a Doctor's evaluation it is really had to make an educated guess on the BIG guy. No doubt the Rams will have Saffold picked over with a fine tooth comb before making a decision.

When he's out there on the field he can be a real dominant guard,,, and a decent tackle when absolutely necessary. Hard to find players that can dominate in the NFL. I'd have a hard time letting him go unless the Docs told me otherwise.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Wonder what his trade value is. Loads of teams need OL help.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
There is only one reason you would keep the most injured active OL'er since 2011.....to be your emergency starter @ Left OT. That's it.

The near 4 million in salary $$$ saving this season is big IMO. Do smart teams pay a near 6 mil for one back up OL'er who can not.... I said can NOT stay healthy when you already have an outstanding one like Garrett Reynolds already here & signed?

The aguement to keep him & pay him his $$$ (IMO) is weak. I was under the impression we were riddled with 19 Ram free agents (Nine [9] were starters) all wanting a large pay raise:thinking:? Is not this a priority? Rams have paid Saffold 12.25 million the last two seasons do you think this team got anything close to that in performance on the field?
.....When he's out there on the field he can be a real dominant guard,,, and a decent tackle when absolutely necessary. Hard to find players that can dominate in the NFL. I'd have a hard time letting him go unless the Docs told me otherwise.
Selassie I will agree with you that Saffold was a dominate ORG back in the latter half of 2013 season. I have not seen this dominate OG as you describe since then.The 2013 season just happened that was when he was playing for that big future contract. One thing I do know that dominate Saffold did not show up in 2014 or 2015 seasons for good medical reasons.

I just do not understand your "hard time" position here can you help your fellow Floridian out:)?

Todd59

Rookie
I have no problem hanging on to him for this year. The cap hit is manageable, and when healthy, is a very good guard. The Rams have plenty of cap room, especially with the increase in the salary cap (I've read up around $155 million) and plenty of other ways to make cap space before cutting Saffold.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
There is only one reason you would keep the most injured active OL'er since 2011.....to be your emergency starter @ Left OT. That's it.

The near 4 million in salary $$$ saving this season is big IMO. Do smart teams pay a near 6 mil for one back up OL'er who can not.... I said can NOT stay healthy when you already have an outstanding one like Garrett Reynolds already here & signed?

The aguement to keep him & pay him his $$$ (IMO) is weak. I was under the impression we were riddled with 19 Ram free agents (Nine [9] were starters) all wanting a large pay raise:thinking:? Is not this a priority? Rams have paid Saffold 12.25 million the last two seasons do you think this team got anything close to that in performance on the field?

Selassie I will agree with you that Saffold was a dominate ORG back in the latter half of 2013 season. I have not seen this dominate OG as you describe since then.The 2013 season just happened that was when he was playing for that big future contract. One thing I do know that dominate Saffold did not show up in 2014 or 2015 seasons for good medical reasons.

I just do not understand your "hard time" position here can you help your fellow Floridian out:)?

Well... I'll try...

Saffold was a dominant player when healthy. His shoulders have been his Achilles heel though. There's a great chance that his shoulder problems have been solved. If the Docs gave me a report saying his shoulders should hold up and be good as new... I'd have a hard time not keeping a player who has shown the ability to dominate in the NFL.

He may need to take a pay adjustment like many players do every year... or maybe not. I'm sure KD knows best in the $ Dept.

I cringe like everyone else when I see BIG Rodg hit the turf... but finding decent offensive linemen at this level ain't easy at all. He's better than decent when healthy. Even as a depth player he has value to the team.

But like I said... the medical evaluations will be the deciding factor more than anything else.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I'd keep him. The line is young. He could start or be a great back-up. His contract is not bad by today's standard. If he is healthy he could start at guard and dominate like before. If he gets injured they have guys to step in.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
If they can afford him, then there's no downside to keeping him around. He's very talented and versatile.
If it were me, I'd give him another year to try and play a full 16 games (if the doctors say he's 100%).

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
Cut him and don't think twice. He played well in 2013 against bad defenses. His shoulders aren't fit for the abuse of the NFL. If you only have 2 full seasons in 7 years that's a no go for me. You still have Reynolds, Brown, Wichmann and Donnal to choose from. That's all before FA and the Draft. Saffold is no longer of value to the team IMO.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
Move on. I'm tired of watching him go down and then hearing the OL is beat up excuse.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I though this would be a good place to insert one of my former posts on this subject as a friendly reminder:

The ongoing Saga of Rodger Saffold's injuries

2011- On Oct 16, 2011, Saffold was forced from game against the Packers with an ankle left fibula injury. On Nov 13, 2011, Saffold was was forced from game against the Browns with a head injury (concussion), & did not return. On Nov 18, 2011, Saffold suffered a "significant" pectoral tear injury & placed on injured reserve with a torn pectoral, ending his season. Saffold was only able to finish 6 games as a starter in 2011.

2012- Spent all of the the first 7 months of 2012 on physically unable & could not be cleared to resume football activities. This was due to 2012 torn pectoral surgery. First regular season game Saffold was carted off the field in Sunday's game with a neck injury. Spent the night in the hospital. Exited Sunday's Week 2 contest with a first-quarter ACL knee injury. It was wk 11 before Saffold finished his first game as a starter. He missed 6 games & missed most of three others. His last injury in 2012 was on Dec 10th 2012, Saffold injured his back & was unable to finish the game.

2013- Saffold dislocated his left shoulder in 2013 preseason opener, he will go on to miss the entire 2013 preseason games. Saffold was carted off the field in the second quarter of Sunday's Week 2 Sept 15th game against the Falcons with a knee injury. Saffold knee remained unhealthy & was unable to start again until the first of November missing 7 starts.

2014- Raiders sign RS to $42.5 million ($15.75 million guaranteed) contract then VOID due to damaged shoulder. Signs with damaged body to Rams contract for $31.7 million deal that includes $19.5 million guaranteed. Over 10 mil less due to health concerns. First Pre season game injured shoulder "stinger." missed the rest of the games & 2 other pre season games. Last pre season game injured right ankle forced from game. Regular season left Sunday's Week 1 opener against the Vikings with a neck injury did not return. Exited Week 8 against the Chiefs with a shoulder injury, shoulder injury is to the same shoulder that caused his failed physical with the Raiders. Saffold had left-shoulder surgery to repair a torn left labrum @ conclusion of 2014 season.

2015- limited to practice all of OTA's & early TC due to being unhealthy. Injured shoulder in 1st pre season first series out for remaining pre season. Finished only 4 games as starter. injured shoulder had surgery to repair a torn Right labrum & placed on Injured Reserve .

Summary
In his last five seasons he has suffered 15 injuries. He has only been able to finish 42 games as a starter out of 80 games. Had 3 major surgeries...( both shoulders & pectoral tear). He has been on he IR twice. After all the above & now the accumulative back to back torn & surgically repaired labrum's on both shoulders within 10 months all in one year (2015) ...Would you plan to have the above OL'er as your starter in 2016? What can you expect from a OG who has been hurt & damaged like this?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Even with all Boni's proof....One more year....but I have serious doubts he'll stay healthy....I'll cross my fingers...

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
517349_stock-photo-scissors---cut-here-vector.jpg

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
With X on this one. At least he gives us a very valuable team guy, with tons of experience. He would be a backup, in my scenario, but a huge mentor, and could play any position, other than Center at a high level. We wouldn't lose any production with him, and that, to me, is big.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
I agree with the logical argument of cutting him, but I do not expect it to happen. Fisher's "code of coaching" includes loyalty to veterans that have suffered injury. After watching Scott Wells linger on the roster for years, and after all the history of re-acquiring Saffold after the Raiders physical and giving him the big contract, I do not think that Fisher has given any thought whatsoever to cutting Saffold. My expectation is not only will Saffold be back, but Fisher will name him an incumbent starter at guard for day 1 of training camp. One of the younger guys will have to earn it by beating him out of the job, or wait for Saffold to get hurt again.