Rams have a serious kicker problem

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Tano

Legend
I really wanted the Rams to draft Tyler Bass. After a rough start, he is doing extremely well for the Bills.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
All I know is I was not happy when they didn't resign GZ and I'm still not. He's not perfect but he's good and he won't limp dick a kick at least.

I think many of us felt that way and the Rams have done nothing for us to feel otherwise. Good move signing MacGinnis to the Practice Squad because the can call him up and he can kick for two games before they have to make a roster decision. If MacGinnis kicks well, the job is his and Forbath will only be a footnote.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I really wanted the Rams to draft Tyler Bass.

I prefer a Bass Ale myself, but it's time to pour a MacGinnis.
1605537879018.png

nighttrain

Legend
i just have doubts MacGinnis is the answer, he came in third to Sloman and Forbath, not a good sign!
train

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
At this point, I was going to suggest giving 93 year old George Blanda a call. But, he crossed the rainbow about 10 years ago.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
Have Hekker handle kickoffs, go for every 4th down on the positive side of the field and go for two after every TD. Problem solved!

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
i just have doubts MacGinnis is the answer, he came in third to Sloman and Forbath, not a good sign!
train
Well, on the other hand, you know how there's this guy who's so bad at gambling that its just easy money picking the opposite of what he picks?

Ewe83

Mama's got a new baby boy
Yeah I'm pretty sure GZ can still make extra points for God's sakes, I was not happy about letting him go either

fearsomefour

Legend
The Rams received three kick offs yesterday (not counting the onside kick) and picked up 66 yards in field position including one touch back.
Seattle received five kick offs and picked up 159 yards in field position including one touch back.
Rams....22 yard average
Seattle....32 yard averaged
That kick coverage is just not acceptable.
I do like Webster running punts, he seems to have a little wiggle there.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Rams have a serious kicker problem
A rough showing from Kai Forbath has no one feeling comfortable about LA’s placekicking.
By Brady Klopfer@BradyKlopferNBA Nov 16, 2020, 10:02am CST
Chicago Bears v Los Angeles Rams

Sunday’s 23-16 victory over the Seattle Seahawks certainly has Los Angeles Rams fans feeling confident and comfortable with their team. But even in victory there are often red flags, and while fans will be enjoying the Rams’ overall performance, they’re likely chattering their teeth about the situation at the kicker position.

Yes, it was another rough day at the office for Rams kickers. In his second game with the team, veteran Kai Forbath once again struggled. He made his only field goal attempt, but it was just a 23-yarder, and he almost shanked it. And on top of that, he missed an extra-point attempt.

This comes after his Rams debut in Week 8, when Forbath made both of his extra points, but went just 1-for-2 on field goals, hitting from 23 yards and missing from 48.
He doesn’t look like a quality NFL kicker, and on top of that he’s now dealing with an ankle injury. It’s unclear how severe the injury is.

Injury Update: Kai Forbath (ankle) is questionable to return
— Los Angeles Rams (@RamsNFL) November 15, 2020

Sean McVay does not have immediate injury updates on Andrew Whitworth, Taylor Rapp or Kai Forbath.
— Jourdan Rodrigue (@JourdanRodrigue) November 16, 2020
So where do the Rams go from here? Forbath was signed to replace rookie seventh-round pick Sam Sloman, who was waived after Week 7.Sloman was far from great, as he went just 18-for-21 on extra points, and 8-for-11 on field goals, with a long of just 42 yards, and misses from 22, 29, and 53 yards.

It’s easy to understand why the Rams parted ways with Sloman. A team with Super Bowl aspirations can’t have kickers missing field goals that start with the number “2.” Still, by not waiting an extra week they put themselves in a position where they only had a few days to find a replacement. Had they waited until after Week 8, they would’ve had the bye week to actually be thorough and try out some kickers.

Instead, they rushed into signing Forbath without seeming to put much thought or research into it, and he’s struggled every bit as much as Sloman did.
What next? Do they hope that Forbath figures it out? Do they return to Sloman and hope the second run is better? Do they try out the rookie kickers they had in the offseason — Lirim Hajrullahu and Austin MacGinnis — and hope their initial evaluation that Sloman was the best option is incorrect?

Or do they take the angle they did with Forbath, and hit the free agent market, only this time (hopefully) with a little bit of a more thoughtful and serious approach?

Only time will tell. But the Rams have a serious kicker problem, and they need to figure it out in a hurry.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Rams will ‘definitely address’ kicking situation amid continued struggles
Cameron DaSilva Mon, November 16, 2020,

deca03913109de6fad8c56ed2e2b0efd

There aren’t many weak spots on the Rams’ roster right now, even with the recent rash of injuries they’ve suffered. However, undoubtedly the biggest hole remains at kicker.
The team cut Samuel Sloman before Week 8 against the Dolphins, handing the keys to Kai Forbath. In two games since replacing Sloman, Forbath hasn’t been any better. He missed an extra point attempt in Sunday’s win over the Seahawks, and in Week 9, he badly missed a 48-yarder wide left.

After beating Seattle, Sean McVay was clearly frustrated by the team’s continued struggles at kicker and made it clear that the Rams will address the position.“We’ve got to continue to figure out this kicking situation and that’s something that we’re going to definitely address after this,” McVay said.

One move the Rams could make is simply cutting Forbath and giving Austin MacGinnis a shot by promoting him from the practice squad. MacGinnis was with the Rams in training camp and lost the position battle to Sloman, but the team brought him back on the practice squad in October.

With Forbath suffering an ankle injury in Sunday’s win, the time might be now for Los Angeles to move on and give MacGinnis a shot.The Rams have missed at least one kick in eight of nine games this year, which is simply not good enough and they know it. There aren’t many quality options out there, but rest assured:

They will turn over every stone out there until they find consistency.

Psycho_X

Legend
Well, Sloman jersey was #1, Forbath is #2... any #3s out there anywhere? If we make it to #6 without an answer just make Hekker the default kicker.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I think we were all surprised picking Forbath and Sloman over McGinnis. McGinnis was in the running and i heard nothing but good reports on him in training camp. Not sure what they saw that made them go in another direction. I'm sure sure we'll get see McGinnis this weekend and we'll see how right or wrong this coaching staff was.

As far as you guys calling for our ST coaches head on a platter. Not so fast! Take a look at our place kickers during kick offs. They are nailing line drives to the 1 yard line not giving our cover guys a chance to get down the field. Our coverage has been pretty solid, but if our kickers can't hold up their end its going to come across as bad coverage when in fact it's not.