Rams have a potential steal in 7th-round RB Jake Funk

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams have a potential steal in 7th-round RB Jake Funk​

The Los Angeles Rams haven’t had a first-round pick since the 2016 NFL Draft when they used the top overall pick on Cal quarterback Jared Goff. That hasn’t stopped them from being one of the best teams in the NFL when it comes to finding great value throughout the NFL Draft, whether on the second or third day.

Even without a first-round pick, the Rams still had nine selections in the 2021 NFL Draft overall, and they used a handful of them on some intriguing dart throws at the offensive skill positions.

One selection, in particular, was highly intriguing and could pay significant dividends immediately.

The Rams picked Maryland running back Jake Funk in the seventh round of the 2021 Draft and Funk has a chance to be a key contributor early and often for this Rams team.

Funk certainly proved himself this past season at Maryland to the tune of 516 rushing yards on just 60 attempts with 10 receptions for another 68 yards. He scored four total touchdowns in the 2020 season, and finished his time at Maryland with over 1,100 all-purpose yards, 13 total touchdowns, and seven yards per touch.

He not only was able to prove himself on offense as a running back and receiver, but Funk was an awesome special teams player for the Terps with 30 tackles in his time on campus as well as 13 kickoff returns.

There’s no special teams unit this guy has not played on and been productive, which will unquestionably give him an edge at a roster spot early in his time with the Los Angeles Rams.

Funk appeared on the popular NFL Network show Good Morning Football and really sold himself as a prospect, which Rams head coach Sean McVay told Peter Schrager — one of the hosts of the show — made a difference.

View: https://twitter.com/gmfb/status/1389219443243290632?s=21

Funk is a pretty outstanding story of perseverance considering the fact that he suffered a season-ending ACL injury to the same knee two years in a row in 2018 and 2019.

Those knee injuries are obviously a concern, but they would be much more concerning if Funk had not posted such impressive numbers at the Maryland pro day. He ran a 4.48 in the 40-yard dash, had a 38-inch vertical jump, 122-inch broad jump, 22 reps on the bench press, and a stellar 6.71 in the three-cone drill.

That three-cone time put him in the top four percentile at the running back position and in the top six percentile at any position. His 1.5-second 10-yard split ranked him in the top six percent, regardless of position, as well.

That kind of explosiveness certainly comes across when you watch Funk play the game.

View: https://youtu.be/-HjETcpVWJE

He plays fast, is a no-nonsense type of runner, and has impressive one-cut abilities with contact balance and burst to the second and third level.

With Cam Akers and Darrell Henderson as the top two running backs on the Los Angeles Rams’ depth chart currently, it’s not like Funk is going to be coming into Rams camp and stealing RB1 duties.

View: https://twitter.com/ramsnfl/status/1394374122537242624?s=21

What he very well could do, however, is come in and earn a job as the team’s RB3 and factor into the rotation for a handful of snaps each game while being one of the team’s top special teams aces.

With seventh-round draft picks, you’re looking for guys who can contribute in that phase of the game immediately as well as players with high upside. Funk is the ideal seventh-round pick from that perspective and is certainly not going to miss out on an NFL roster spot for lack of effort.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Not sure I understand the reference in this context... Then again, I am a lil foggy today...

IMO, Funk's injury history is major, similar to Terrell Lewis, so sure, barring injury, Funk was consistently injured in college, so IMO, there is a better chance of him being injured then having an extensive career, just like I'm sure Mrs. Lincoln was not a fan of "Our American Cousin."

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
ST’s? Can’t see Funk taking carries away from Akers & Henderson.

My concern at RB is health, Akers hopefully will prove he can be the bell cow, but Henderson has been hurt quite a bit in his two years here and Funk is weak in the knees. I will be watching Xavier Jones in TC and in preseason.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
IMO, Funk's injury history is major, similar to Terrell Lewis, so sure, barring injury, Funk was consistently injured in college, so IMO, there is a better chance of him being injured then having an extensive career, just like I'm sure Mrs. Lincoln was not a fan of "Our American Cousin."
Cool. I get it. Just saying, the kid has juice and I would love it if he can somehow stay healthy. I am biased as he is a local kid and I have watched him play since HS.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My concern at RB is health, Akers hopefully will prove he can be the bell cow, but Henderson has been hurt quite a bit in his two years here and Funk is weak in the knees. I will be watching Xavier Jones in TC and in preseason.
I agree, I think Jones gets the nod before Funk. Funk is a great 1 cut back, doesn’t diversify the offense when he’s in there (IMO).

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'm with Den on the depth. They have one job you know, and that's being available if and when the bell cow can't go. But for the past couple years our depth guys have been dinged up in limited touches. It was the same with Brown and it's why he's gone.

I would guess, just looking at his games, that a lot of teams really liked Funk. The guy has a real nice game from the backfield but those knees man. So just like with Lewis I am going to sort of look past him in terms of who we can count on. And btw I'm guessing he'll probably look pretty good in this system in preseason because decisive one-cut types really shine in this offense.

Jones seems like a guy who has a big opportunity here to settle in as a depth option that maybe they can rely on to be there when he's needed. Once again McVay did say they were poised to start him vs Green Bay but Akers played hurt. So the team does have some confidence in him. If he can shine in preseason then we might be looking at a depth chart where he can spell Akers as the bell cow and Hendy is the third down guy who can be moved around a bit.

MauiRam

Rookie
I am hoping Funk can be a 3rd down option. Take some of the Malcolm Brown snaps.
If he can block effectively as in take out blitzers, he'll be an option on 3rd downs. Apparently he's been a special teams standout throughout his high school & college career. It will be fun to watch him in preseason games. I'll bet he's got some decleaters in him just waiting to burst out. If he's healthy there's definitely a chance he could contribute as a returner as well. I'm rooting for the kid !!

Flint

Pro Bowler
I don’t know if I expect a lot from Funk. They gave the special teams coach a lot of toys to play with anything else is gravy

dang

Legend
I could see a 4th RB (Funk) or 4th TE (Harris) on the 53 man roster for STs and spot play. They can’t keep both however unless Harris is also considered the 6th WR.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
Been seeing a lot of "sleeper" RB's coming out of this draft class, sleepers in general. This may be the year of the sleeper picks. Never seen anything like it to this degree.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I'm with Den on the depth. They have one job you know, and that's being available if and when the bell cow can't go. But for the past couple years our depth guys have been dinged up in limited touches. It was the same with Brown and it's why he's gone.

I would guess, just looking at his games, that a lot of teams really liked Funk. The guy has a real nice game from the backfield but those knees man. So just like with Lewis I am going to sort of look past him in terms of who we can count on. And btw I'm guessing he'll probably look pretty good in this system in preseason because decisive one-cut types really shine in this offense.

Jones seems like a guy who has a big opportunity here to settle in as a depth option that maybe they can rely on to be there when he's needed. Once again McVay did say they were poised to start him vs Green Bay but Akers played hurt. So the team does have some confidence in him. If he can shine in preseason then we might be looking at a depth chart where he can spell Akers as the bell cow and Hendy is the third down guy who can be moved around a bit.
Not having a 6th round pick likely hurt the Rams if they had been interested in Khalil Herbert drafted in the 6th round pick 217. Herbert is the quintessential one cut and go runner that is perfect for a zbs. I’d love to know if the Rams made any effort to move up to pick him or if he was even on their board.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I agree with the group that thinks X Jones has the inside track on the number three RB spot. I don’t get excited about many 7th round picks. They tend to be more one dimensional. Skowronek = toughness, Garrett = speed, etc,..
I see the least potential with Funk, but only because of his injury past. It’s a big disqualifier. All three are long shots to make a loaded roster.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Been seeing a lot of "sleeper" RB's coming out of this draft class, sleepers in general. This may be the year of the sleeper picks. Never seen anything like it to this degree.
No doubt and it was sort of expected tbh. We knew the COVID impact with so few games meant a lot of players not getting a chance to show what they could do.

IMO the winning orgs probably had the advantage this offseason with room to unearth more studs that got overlooked. This draft we know the Rams probably won't hit on all those round 4-7 guys statistically, but each one of them is intriguing.

I suspect the Rams killed it this year but of course it will take a few years to know.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
I’m not sure that even the Rams are counting on anything more than Funk providing a boost to STs. Actual real game reps at RB would be gravy should he earn his way up the depth chart; otherwise, those reps might be coming at the expense of injured RBs.
...not what anybody wants.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Hopefully he comes right in and adds some juice to our ST's... lord knows we needed to address that. Just doing that would make the pick a success.

Lots of players have paved their way into long NFL careers starting out as ST players... standing out on ST's so much that they earn playing time on normal downs. His knee is a serious cloud though.

Let him kick ass on ST's and keep the mileage on his knee low.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'll root for whoever is in uniform, but I'm hoping to see what Calais and X Jones can do