Rams have a potential steal in 7th-round RB Jake Funk

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams have a potential steal in 7th-round RB Jake Funk​

The Los Angeles Rams haven’t had a first-round pick since the 2016 NFL Draft when they used the top overall pick on Cal quarterback Jared Goff. That hasn’t stopped them from being one of the best teams in the NFL when it comes to finding great value throughout the NFL Draft, whether on the second or third day.

Even without a first-round pick, the Rams still had nine selections in the 2021 NFL Draft overall, and they used a handful of them on some intriguing dart throws at the offensive skill positions.

One selection, in particular, was highly intriguing and could pay significant dividends immediately.

The Rams picked Maryland running back Jake Funk in the seventh round of the 2021 Draft and Funk has a chance to be a key contributor early and often for this Rams team.

Funk certainly proved himself this past season at Maryland to the tune of 516 rushing yards on just 60 attempts with 10 receptions for another 68 yards. He scored four total touchdowns in the 2020 season, and finished his time at Maryland with over 1,100 all-purpose yards, 13 total touchdowns, and seven yards per touch.

He not only was able to prove himself on offense as a running back and receiver, but Funk was an awesome special teams player for the Terps with 30 tackles in his time on campus as well as 13 kickoff returns.

There’s no special teams unit this guy has not played on and been productive, which will unquestionably give him an edge at a roster spot early in his time with the Los Angeles Rams.

Funk appeared on the popular NFL Network show Good Morning Football and really sold himself as a prospect, which Rams head coach Sean McVay told Peter Schrager — one of the hosts of the show — made a difference.

View: https://twitter.com/gmfb/status/1389219443243290632?s=21

Funk is a pretty outstanding story of perseverance considering the fact that he suffered a season-ending ACL injury to the same knee two years in a row in 2018 and 2019.

Those knee injuries are obviously a concern, but they would be much more concerning if Funk had not posted such impressive numbers at the Maryland pro day. He ran a 4.48 in the 40-yard dash, had a 38-inch vertical jump, 122-inch broad jump, 22 reps on the bench press, and a stellar 6.71 in the three-cone drill.

That three-cone time put him in the top four percentile at the running back position and in the top six percentile at any position. His 1.5-second 10-yard split ranked him in the top six percent, regardless of position, as well.

That kind of explosiveness certainly comes across when you watch Funk play the game.

View: https://youtu.be/-HjETcpVWJE

He plays fast, is a no-nonsense type of runner, and has impressive one-cut abilities with contact balance and burst to the second and third level.

With Cam Akers and Darrell Henderson as the top two running backs on the Los Angeles Rams’ depth chart currently, it’s not like Funk is going to be coming into Rams camp and stealing RB1 duties.

View: https://twitter.com/ramsnfl/status/1394374122537242624?s=21

What he very well could do, however, is come in and earn a job as the team’s RB3 and factor into the rotation for a handful of snaps each game while being one of the team’s top special teams aces.

With seventh-round draft picks, you’re looking for guys who can contribute in that phase of the game immediately as well as players with high upside. Funk is the ideal seventh-round pick from that perspective and is certainly not going to miss out on an NFL roster spot for lack of effort.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Again I temper my enthusiasm with the essence of Funk because of his injury history in college, it usually does not translate well to the next level.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Maybe. Every year every team has a bunch of these so called "steals". Not many actually pan out.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Rooting for him big time. Like I have mentioned before, I saw him play in HS a few times and you could tell then that he was special. Even against high level HS talent in our area, he was a standout player. Sometimes looked like a man among boys out there. Strong and fast as lightning. Hope he can stay healthy. If he does, look out.

Psycho_X

Legend
Looks and sounds the part. I think he'll have a successful NFL career for as long as his knees let him.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Guys like this are going to make preseason games kick ass. I can't wait. Hope he stays healthy. :horns: :horns:

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Rooting for him big time. Like I have mentioned before, I saw him play in HS a few times and you could tell then that he was special. Even against high level HS talent in our area, he was a standout player. Sometimes looked like a man among boys out there. Strong and fast as lightning. Hope he can stay healthy. If he does, look out.
Funk ran a 4.38 40 at his Pro Day. That bodes well for a one cut and run guy, and means he could be a candidate for kick or punt returns. Appears he can also catch the ball. That might put him in contention for the 3d RB slot, especially if he can show up as a blocker. Seems like a really good special teams tackler, and at minimum a good addition to the STs.

ACL repairs are somewhat unpredictable. Some guys come back, even more than once, and are ok. Right now Funk looks very much ok with his knee. As long as it holds up he will contribute to the Rams in some fashion and maybe even prove to be the proverbial "steal."

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Make you want a FUNK jersey!!!!!!:watch:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I saw his NFL network interview & they were all jacked up & said this guy gave the best interview.All Funk jokes.I thought he was bigger than he was,then when The Rams drafted him I thought it was an excellent pick.The knee was good,so I think his size was the biggest question mark.

I think he might do really well with The Rams,or Jones.Going back to some games Henderson & Akers missed some nice runs by not finding the right hole.

oldnotdead

Legend
I think Jake will make an immediate as a KO returner. If they kick it short he will make them pay. Also, in the passing game, OMG they will have Tutu, Funk, and Harris who all ran in the 4.3 range. They could completely destroy the top of a secondary. One of them is going to be open and Stafford has the arm and accuracy to take advantage of it.

Funk really reminds me of McCaffery in his running style. Fast, elusive, both in the run and passing game. If he ever develops as a pass blocker, watch out. He's going to get a lot of snaps if he does. Funk and McCaffery are both 5'10" with Jake over 200 lbs and faster at 4.3.
RB is the easiest position for a rookie to make an impact. I think he will both on STs as a KO returner and as a RB and receiver.

Speed kills and Snead drafted a ton of it in those 3 guys, RB, WR and TE. I think all 3 will play this year.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Funk really reminds me of McCaffery in his running style. Fast, elusive, both in the run and passing game. If he ever develops as a pass blocker, watch out. He's going to get a lot of snaps if he does. Funk and McCaffery are both 5'10" with Jake over 200 lbs and faster at 4.3.
I appreciate how decisive he is. His run style reminds me a bit of Emmit Smith. He keeps it simple, runs behind his pads, and knows when to turn it up. I am looking forward to seeing our RB group in preseason, guys like Jones who flashed last year in camp and none of us got to see it. But as I watch this dude he really grows on me and backs like this can be extremely productive.

Of course unlike Emmit Smith he has to show he can stay healthy. Really sucks about his knees, but I suppose if that wasn't the case we wouldn't have touched this guy that late in the draft.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I am hoping Funk can be a 3rd down option. Take some of the Malcolm Brown snaps.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Sean McVay likes what he's seen from 'mature rookie' Jake Funk​

The Los Angeles Rams practiced in front of fans for the first time Thursday, giving people a glimpse of what the team could look like come September. While holding a press conference with the media, where he discussed his thoughts thus far, Sean McVay shared that he’s fond of what he’s seen from rookie running back Jake Funk in the offseason program.

“He’s a mature rookie. I think he’s really taken to (RBs coach) Thomas Brown. What a great job Thomas does as a coach really helping these guys grow,” McVay said. “And because you get a little bit of extra time with rookies with some of the meetings and some of the things we added over the months these guys have been with us, you’ve really seen his growth, his comfort level (rise).”

When Los Angeles took Funk with the 233rd overall pick in the seventh round, some fans wondered what his role on the roster would be. Cam Akers is forecasted to be the workhorse back for the Rams, while Darrell Henderson spells him in the backfield, which leaves minimal touches for the other running backs on the roster.

Early in offseason activities, it appears that Funk will begin his career in the NFL as a contributor on special teams. Even with Funk expected to have a role on special teams rather than on offense, McVay is impressed with how the Maryland product has adjusted to the NFL so far.

While there is plenty of time between now and the season, that’s good news for Funk’s chances of making the roster when training camps conclude.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Barring injury, this kid should have a decent career in the NFL. JMO.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Considering what they have at RB depth, I could see him being the number 3. And considering Henderson's injury history, he could be forced into action sooner than later. But like most, I temper the enthusiasm. His knees and the fact he's a 7th round pick gives me pause. There's usually a reason a guy is picked that late.