Rams Grab Kicker Matt Gay

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Gay looked very impressive tonight. His kickoffs looked effortless, every single one reached the middle or back of the EZ.

His made FG’s and XP’s were solid, nice high trajectory, plenty of leg, and all had a similar “fade” to them.

And his one miss looked like a “good” miss, if there is such a thing. Just a little too much fade and missed by a couple feet.

Anyway, if he can just be mediocre I’d be happy with that, given that both Sloman and Forbath were awful IMHO. Not sure he’ll be our kicker in 2021, but from what I’ve seen so far, he’s the first guy this year that actually looks like an NFL-quality kicker.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
Totally agree on the miss - wasn’t a bad miss (we’ve seen too many of those this year). I can live with that miss. Plus, when it really counted with pressure — end of 1st half and game winner he delivered.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Gay looked very impressive tonight. His kickoffs looked effortless, every single one reached the middle or back of the EZ.

His made FG’s and XP’s were solid, nice high trajectory, plenty of leg, and all had a similar “fade” to them.

And his one miss looked like a “good” miss, if there is such a thing. Just a little too much fade and missed by a couple feet.

Anyway, if he can just be mediocre I’d be happy with that, given that both Sloman and Forbath were awful IMHO. Not sure he’ll be our kicker in 2021, but from what I’ve seen so far, he’s the first guy this year that actually looks like an NFL-quality kicker.

I think that's why he ran Brown to the left hash mark as Gay has a bit of a push on his kicks. I wouldn't call it a fade as that's the opposite of a hook, but it's a few degrees off center, but straight.

He'll have to work on that for kicks from the right hashmark, but I like that his mechanics are sound. Each kick looked the same and that's what you want. And he had plenty of leg. Not Legatron leg, but enough that I'd trust him from 50 if need be and that's plenty.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
I think that's why he ran Brown to the left hash mark as Gay has a bit of a push on his kicks. I wouldn't call it a fade as that's the opposite of a hook, but it's a few degrees off center, but straight.

He'll have to work on that for kicks from the right hashmark, but I like that his mechanics are sound. Each kick looked the same and that's what you want. And he had plenty of leg. Not Legatron leg, but enough that I'd trust him from 50 if need be and that's plenty.
Yes, you’re quite right, it’s more of a “push” rather than a “fade.” Still stays mostly straight, but just travels to the right of center.

It’s weird, I remember noticing that myself when I would kick a football. Back in the day (in my 20s and early 30s) I was capable of hitting a 45-yard FG (with a tee, but still!) Whenever I’d really crank it, I’d tend to have that “push” to the right. So I’d have to aim for the left post if I wanted it to go down the middle. Weird.

Last edited:

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
His leg motion is a tad inside out...which is fine. It's like a golf swing. If you consistently hit the ball well a certain way, you don't change your swing, just alter your alignment.

Seems PKs need to keep it the same every swing.

Punter, otoh, have a bag full of clubs and tricks.

Kicking is just weird.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

He knocked one through from 58 on us last year with at least 5 yards to spare.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

He looks like a pro kicker no doubt about it. We're not out of the woods yet, gotta keep in mind he had that jilted team thing going on but just having a guy who hits it hard enough is a nice fucking change.

This is a big deal. I mean if the Rams can't solve this it's gonna end up eliminating them most likely. So to see him come in like that and give us hope is just huge man. Absolutely huge. Goddamn I hope he sticks. (y)

TexasRam

Legend
Does anyone think its completely out of the question to carry two kickers?

Maybe a more accurate short range kicker and then Gay for 50+ and kickoffs?

I know this is a flashback to yesteryear, but in the playoffs it seems the strategy would help us.

Lesson

Oh, really?
As a big fan of Kentucky football, I can speak for MacGinnis.

MacGinnis is an absolute stud. He doesn't have the greatest range (probably can't make a FG greater than 55-57), but is incredibly accurate.

Alaskan Ram

Last Frontier Member

I know this is a flashback to yesteryear, but in the playoffs it seems the strategy would help us.
Kickers are fickle, like regulators on gas grills. Once they go faulty, it's best to just replace them. When you have one that works effectively , it's best to just leave it alone.

Shit, with that logic, it's almost tough to fault @Selassie I for hating kickers so much. Almost.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

No and McVay has said that's not an option. It's a waste of a roster spot. I think we're on the Matt Gay train and it's hit job.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
he did okay tonight... kick offs were excellent.

It's one game though....

Agreed, kickoffs were perfect, even the one returned should not have been and that was so high & deep that the Rams tackled the returner at the 20 yard line, which was even better. Some of his kicks were fading to the right and that's how he missed the 44 yarder, but the 40 yarder with the game on the line was true.

Like that Hekker felt that highly of Gay to recommended him to McVay, which also tells me special teams coach John Bonamego really doesn't have much of a say. Overall, can't post I didn't think the same thing @Memento posted, but I feel the Rams have solved their issue as Gay has plenty of leg, was converting 60 yard field goals in practice and the fact that Gay could kick the ball deep and out of the end zone improved our special team kick off return team instantaneously.
1606231920614.png