Rams GM Les Snead made football fun again for fans of this team

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

LA Rams GM Les Snead made football fun again for the Rams organization​

By Bret Stuter | Dec 22, 2023​

1703351011934.png

When the LA Rams finished the 2022 NFl season with a record of 5-12, the LA Rams had more questions surrounding the team than simply how to return to winning football games. Rams Head Coach Sean McVay was emotionally exhausted, his competitive drive had been floored for far too long, and he wondered how long he could sustain that pace.

But that was just the start of the uncertainty. Regardless of how they would react when asked by the media, Rams veteran players began to face their own limits. Veterans who had climbed to the top of the NFL with the Rams in 2021, had fallen far and long in 2022. Many players had to battle back from injuries. Others had to face the reality that the NFL is a young man's sport, and that they were getting older.

Finally, the Rams had to admit that the frantic pace of 2021 had carried over and forced shortcuts for the team's restocking a coaching staff and the 53-man roster. In short, the ability of the Rams to replace players and exiting coaches was overwhelmed after Super Bowl LVI.

Les make football fun again​

The Rams have enjoyed tremendous success since hiring head coach Sean McVay in 2017. But that success has arrived in a three-year cycle. The challenge is trying to remain positive despite the roller coaster ride that has fallen on the Rams over the past eight NFL seasons.

The answer was so simple that no NFL analyst was able to understand the new direction that Rams GM Les Snead would take to recharge the entire LA Rams organization. The Rams would no longer chase veteran free agents who were solely looking for Lombardi Trophies and big sacks of cash. Instead, the Rams had to immerse the entire team in a pool of rookies. After all, rookies play the game of football out of love for the game. There are no contract negotiations or leveraging over the course of the team. They simply love suiting up and competing in the NFL.

The Rams tried a brand new approach this season. The Rams not only drafted 14 rookies, but the Rams signed hungry NFL veterans who were desperate to compete once again. For the love of the game became more than a catch-phrase or a cliche. It became a mission for the Rams entire organization to play the game of football the way it was meant to be played.

The LA Rams had to make football fun again for everyone. And so, the Rams scouts and analysts vetted hundreds of rookie and veteran prospects with an added criteria. New players had to have a measurable enthusiasm for the game of football before the Rams would seriously consider adding them to the team.

That intangible factor, a love of the game, is evident across the Rams entire rookie class of 2023. But it's even more apparent in the veterans who were added as well. A team is constructed of individuals who are confident enough in themselves to praise the contributions of others. And a team is constructed of individuals who face adversity together.

But more than any other factor, a team is comprised of individuals who trust their teammates to have their backs. Rams GM Les Snead handpicked rookie and veteran additions to the Rams roster because he understood that those players would do whatever was needed to cover one another's backs.

And the resurging Rams are no longer a secret. Just check out the following 'observation' made public on social media:

The Rams are 8-7 with two games to go. But this is just the tip of the iceberg for this young team. Stay tuned.

[ramblinfan.com]

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I read this. I think it gives Snead too much credit. I fully credit him for the draft, but the new coaching hires and shift in philosophy seem to be more of a McVay thing.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I read this. I think it gives Snead too much credit. I fully credit him for the draft, but the new coaching hires and shift in philosophy seem to be more of a McVay thing.
I disagree, Snead does not get enough credit, IMHO. Snead had to rebuild McVay.

After 2022, McVay was spent and the organization looked woeful as everyone was hurt. Stafford, Donald, Kupp and the fanbase too. Les was really the only man standing and he rebuilt the roster one piece (player) at a time. Many of us including yours truly, wanted Brad Holmes back and wondered if Les was really the brains that built the Rams into a Super Bowl Team, well, he was.

Snead had to find players that not only improved the Rams he had to construct a roster that reenergized the likes of McVay, Stafford & Donald. Well, mission accomplished. It was not easy and the team is still a work in progress, but the comradery & unity is obvious as we look forward to the growth of the team and the additions that await in 2024.

InfiniteRam

Rookie

After 2022, McVay was spent and the organization looked woeful as everyone was hurt. Stafford, Donald, Kupp and the fanbase too. Les was really the only man standing and he rebuilt the roster one piece (player) at a time. Many of us including yours truly, wanted Brad Holmes back and wondered if Les was really the brains that built the Rams into a Super Bowl Team, well, he was.

Snead had to find players that not only improved the Rams he had to construct a roster that reenergized the likes of McVay, Stafford & Donald. Well, mission accomplished. It was not easy and the team is still a work in progress, but the comradery & unity is obvious as we look forward to the growth of the team and the additions that await in 2024.
Agree! As much of a genius McVay is, he still has significant flaws as a coach and a planner. I hope he sticks around long enough to work through all of them. I think we are seeing the beginning of it in the second half of the season.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
I don't think the article gives too much credit at all. It's Snead and his staffs job to choose players. They nailed the draft and free agency with one hand tied behind their backs because of the cap issues.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
After attending most tc practices, I thought no way Rams could win 8 games. I'm pleasantly surprised and looking forward to seeing the additions they make in FA and the draft next year. Great base already, Rams should challenge c**k-s***ers up north for west title and run at SB.
Almost makes me forget Spags, Linehan, Fisher years.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I think the most important thing about the Les vs Sean thing... is that there is no Les vs Sean thing. These guys absolutely love each other and love working with each other.

By the way.. this passage? Smells like some bullshit narrative building..

"The Rams would no longer chase veteran free agents who were solely looking for Lombardi Trophies and big sacks of cash. Instead, the Rams had to immerse the entire team in a pool of rookies. After all, rookies play the game of football out of love for the game. There are no contract negotiations or leveraging over the course of the team. They simply love suiting up and competing in the NFL."

Makes it sound like the decisions were driven by some character issues with the vets they let go.. also makes it sound like rookies aren't playing their asses off to get PAID.. rather than the "for the love of the game" bullshit.

The reality, to me, is that they're ALL looking to get paid... but you have to find the ones who ALSO.. just love the fucking game.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Glad to see Les getting some love. It's definitely deserved after this draft. I wasn't so sure he could do the heavy duty draft rebuild thing but no doubts on that front now.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
I think we're all happy to give credit to BOTH Snead and McVay.

Snead has absolutely knocked it out of the park as a GM. This last draft was ridonculous, and the previous couple drafts were pretty damn good as well.

As for McVay, gotta give him all the credit in the world for figuring out how to rejuvenate himself. He was burnt out toast at the end of 2021. I read several articles where he said he wasn't "taking his own advice"-- he wasn't feeling "urgent enjoyment", he was putting too much pressure on himself. Somehow, someway, McVay found out how to make coaching FUN again, and the Rams are better off for it.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Sure looks like they're having fun and regaleing their decisions on the roster this year. Going to be interesting how they use the cap space they've made, plus a # 1 draft pick.
McSnead are on a roll, these guys are gonna kill it next off season and Rams are gonna be one of the favorites. To win SB

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

We have to remember a conversation between Donald and McVay INRE the Draft. "Just surround me with players that care." Snead with McVay's input, did that.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Football is always fun! It's just more fun when we win and I think McSnead share a lot of the praise for the state of the Rams.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

* THIS *

oldnotdead

Legend
I'm a fan and I've never felt that Rams football wasn't fun. As someone who suffered through decades of Spanos family stupidity in San Diego, losing seasons were the norm. I took pleasure game by game not really thinking of playoffs, etc. Football is a weekly excuse to fiesta when your team is a perennial loser. Since the Rams returned home to LA it simply made it "more" fun.

Like i've already posted when the possibility of losing McVay was real I was saddened but knew that the architect of this team is Snead. He's the prime mover of this franchise. His keen eye for talent in the mid and late rounds is what will keep this team competitive. As long as the Rams have Snead as GM they are in good hands.