Rams GM Les Snead defies the Conventional Wisdom

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams GM Les Snead defies the conventional wisdom

By STEVE RIVERA - March 12, 2016 0 105

http://cover32.com/2016/03/12/rams-gm-les-snead-defies-conventional-wisom/#FIuLPXvSMJILAYRo.99

One would be hesitant to put the phrase “conventional wisdom” and Rams GM Les Snead in the same sentence.

After a week where free agency dominated the NFL news cycle, you could argue Los Angeles has no interest in what conventional wisdom says about winning on Sunday’s.

Note the last ten quarterbacks to lead their teams to a Super Bowl title:

Super Bowl 41. Peyton Manning (MVP), 1 TD
Super Bowl 42. Eli Manning (MVP), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 43: Ben Roethlisberger, 1 TD
Super Bowl 44: Drew Brees (MVP), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 45: Aaron Rogers (MVP), 3TDs
Super Bowl 46: Eli Manning (MVP), 1 TD
Super Bowl 47: Joe Flacco (MVP), 3TDs
Super Bowl 48: Russell Wilson, 2TDs
Super Bowl 49: Tom Brady (MVP), 4TDs
Super Bowl 50: Peyton Manning, 0 TDs.

All would fit, on some level if not most, the definition of “elite quarterback”. Every conversation you hear, every debate on ESPN, NFL Network, pick a show, network or platform, includes a discussion on the need for an elite level quarterback to lead a team to a Super Bowl.

A reasonable argument can be made that Les Snead and the Rams don’t necessarily subscribe to such “conventional wisdom”. If this off-season is any indicator, and it appears it may be, Los Angeles is determined to debunk what the last ten years alone would demonstrate.

The wisdom of Les Snead allowed Nick Foles to be signed to a two year contract, and promptly be anointed as the starter in 2015. Foles had a record of 15-9 as quarterback of the Eagles. The collective wisdom of the Rams thought so highly of Nick, that he got $24.5 million for two years.

$13.7 guaranteed.

How’s that for some GM wisdom.

This week, Les would drop some more “wisdom” on Rams fans with a qualifying offer to Case Keenum. Meaning he’ll make $3.635 million next season.

By the way, that’s for a record of 3 wins and 2 losses in 2015.

Fair arguments can be made for the decisions Snead made to NOT sign any of the free agent choices available. Some may be reasonable. But history, especially the last ten seasons, have shown that winning in the NFL, competing and winning Super Bowls is done with the guy who best defines “elite”.

Equal to the argument above, will be the one made of what Denver did just a little over a month ago. Great defense and game management. The Broncos defense superbly neutralized league MVP Cam Newton, leaving Manning only to not make any mistakes, and avoiding the costly errors that would open the door for Carolina.

Completely accurate analysis.

But let’s not ignore Manning is a 4 time Super Bowl quarterback with two teams, 2-2 in those games, and an MVP in Super Bowl 41.

AND, a lock on the first ballot for the HOF.

Peyton is still of the elite category, only diminished somewhat by age, injuries, and a tough season where his contribution as “game manager” was good enough to help Denver win.

His credentials as “elite” are solid.

Again, the “conventional wisdom” is what it is. Something Les Snead and the Los Angeles Rams will have a difficult, if not impossible time defying.

Maybe it’s just the “wisdom” part Snead doesn’t get.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
I always look forward to see how the Rams can come up with new and inventive ways to go 7-9

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So is this article saying the Rams could have signed an elite QB this offseason? Otherwise,what's the point?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
So is this article saying the Rams could have signed an elite QB this offseason? Otherwise,what's the point?
You noticed that too, eh?

words, words, words, words, Rams Stupid, words, words, words, Manning, words, words, words, Rams stupid.

I feel so enlightened.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
I don't think Nick Foles attended the team meeting in LA last week

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

What the fuck was that article? Does this bozo want snead to go down to the local store and pick up an elite qb off the shelf? Fucking bozo.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
i love how ppl always mention the QBs to win super bowls but never the defenses. Off the top of my head, I'd say you can have a strong case for up to 5 of those defenses as being elite, and played an as important, if not more important, role than their team's QB in their super bowl victory.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
i love how ppl always mention the QBs to win super bowls but never the defenses. Off the top of my head, I'd say you can have a strong case for up to 5 of those defenses as being elite, and played an as important, if not more important, role than their team's QB in their super bowl victory.
You would be correct.

Defensive rankings by points allowed per game(regular season)
23rd
17th
1st
20th
2nd
25th
12th
1st
8th
4th

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
I'll never get those Seven minutes of my life back...

Why didn't Snead just think of it earlier? GET AN ELITE QUARTERBACK. And he is so caught up with his wavy hair trying to be unconventional. When it was WISDOM he should have been seeking. (y) Thanks slick!

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
You would be correct.

Defensive rankings by points allowed per game(regular season)
23rd
17th
1st
20th
2nd
25th
12th
1st
8th
4th

interesting, only 3 of the 5 i was thinking of actually rank top 10 there. 1 of them was the ravens which at 12 you surely could make a case, and the other was the SB 46 Giants. might not have had the best regular season but what they did in the playoffs, especially the super bowl, was quite amazing IMO. either way my point remains; football is the greatest team sport, and while a great QB goes a long way, its usually not enough by itself. And for the Rams to arguably be a QB away, I cant fault snead at all for his "unconventional wisdom"

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
interesting, only 3 of the 5 i was thinking of actually rank top 10 there. 1 of them was the ravens which at 12 you surely could make a case, and the other was the SB 46 Giants. might not have had the best regular season but what they did in the playoffs, especially the super bowl, was quite amazing IMO. either way my point remains; football is the greatest team sport, and while a great QB goes a long way, its usually not enough by itself. And for the Rams to arguably be a QB away, I cant fault snead at all for his "unconventional wisdom"
If i had to peghole the blueprint, it's having a combination of a legit QB and a strong defense.
Getting stops and disrupting the opposing QB...and having your own QB who can make plays on 3rd down.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
If i had to peghole the blueprint, it's having a combination of a legit QB and a strong defense.
Getting stops and disrupting the opposing QB...and having your own QB who can make plays on 3rd down.

Wait...peghole? Mojo, can you do that? I mean, is that a thing? (n)

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Also- trying to pass off 2015 Peyton Manning as still being "elite" becase of what he was earlier in his career? This super bowl showed you don't need elite QB to win if the rest of the team is strong and on any given Sunday you happen to shut down the other teams offense.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Play defense and have an offense that can average 24pts per game and you got a chance.

It doesn't take an elite QB to reach those levels. But nobody will argue otherwise, it sure does help.

That was a really bad article. Sole purpose was to trash the Rams leaders.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Just have a feeling the Rams are trading up in the draft at 6 with the Ravens. Snead was with the Falcons and observed what happen with WR Julio Jones in Atlanta and I believe the Rams will do something similar. They have been all too quiet at QB and I can't believe they will just sit at 15 and wait on Paxton Lynch.

My hope is that the Browns acquire Colin Kaepernick which make them pass on QB and then Wentz and both Goff are there at 6 and the Rams will have their choice. Do they take the California Golden Boy and the rough rider from North Dakota State? As always JMHO.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
"STUPID ARTICLE" If this where the Old Days and this^ where in print, I'd use it in the bottom of my Bird cage!

fearsomefour

Legend
I agree with y'all....really bad article.
Hard to sign one when there are none to sign.
$3.6 M for a QB is not out of line at all. I hate it when guy mention a W/L record for a QB like it is all him....hell, Keenum is 5-0 as a starter if our kicker could make some FGs.....so, all of that meant nothing.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Wow. Did someone pay that author for that effort? That was lazy journalism defined.