Rams’ future offseason outlook following trade of CB Aqib Talib to Miami Dolphins

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I just have this sneaky feeling they won't extend him. Look at our LB corp they're a bunch of Littleton clones in size and athleticism. Now before somebody gets all pissy with me I'm not saying any of them will step in and match CL. But Wade has made a career out of getting the most of low draft pick or UDFA ILB. He'll think he can do it again and we'll save money that way. At best I think he gets a 1 round tender. And as you read this line somebody is already quoting this and giving me shit for this take :)
Yes Wade has....however buttmonkey paragraph.....Rams will suffer from the lack of options on just how to fix all these issues, as all this past wheeling & dealing for the win now event does take a heavy toll in a very short bit of time.

What CL does provide may be very hard to repeat. CL plays both of the ILB'er posts as needed. When Wade pulls Reeder off then CL moves into his position in a jiffy & Rapp moves into CL's. If Wade needs a pass rush up the middle CL can always deliver & even better on the delays. If an SL/TE/RB needs to be covered CL delivers. Did I just describe a perfect Wade LB'er?

Last edited:

Ram65

Legend
I liked the article as it lays everything out as far as free agents and players already signed. Of course, everyone will have different opinions on how the Rams go about tiptoeing around the cap issues.

The obvious moves are resigning Littleton and Ramsey. That gives the Rams high-level players at the three levels of defense. They can fill in the rest.

Then it's getting a working plan on the offensive line. Corbett and Edwards should be the keys. Corbett to play OG and Edwards to start at LT until Noteboom comes back and competes for a spot. Allen improves with experience and the weight room. If Evans can take the other OG Rams could become more solid on the offensive line.

Of course, the Rams could find some less expensive free agents and draft a couple of offensive linemen. Then there is the group on the roster and PS. The possibilities are many and really hard to predict. They need to become more physical to compete with the rest of the division and the NFL.

The Rams haven't completely knocked it out of the park with the draft and signing UDFAs. They have however recycled the roster with younger players with the potential to take over at some positions. It's going to be interesting to see if they can continue to compete.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I see them being in good shape at most position's, especially on defense, with a number of young guys waiting in the wings like Obo, Patrick, Long, Rapp, Gaines, Reeder, Williams, etc.. Then Henderson, Webster, Edwards, Evans, Brewer, and Corbett on offense.

On offense is where they likely spend some money to resign Kupp and maybe Everett, but they are deep enough on D to let guys walk in FA or even trade a few guys. Outside of maybe Littleton, these guys could go...

Fowler will net you a 3rd rd comp pick... They will need that pick and let Obo take over.

Trade Ebukam since he has only one yr left... Could get you a 4th since he plays a premium position and could still have some upside. With Matthews likely back one more yr, they will be able to develop Obo, Patrick and maybe even Durham to pair with Matthews. Also will draft a guy at edge.

I also see them moving Roby-Coleman. Last yr of his deal at a reasonable price, should net a 4th or 5th for him.

With the lack of picks, and ability to save $4M in cap room, makes this a no-brainer. Plus the depth at nickel with guys like Long, Williams, and even Deyeon... makes this an easy move.

So the key to me will be adding at least one high level OL and a top level DL... Guys picked in the top 75 that can make and impact. Also could draft a speed WR to replace Cook in a yr.

If they can develop those other young players in the trenches, they will be fine with a number of young cheap players to offset the 6 or 7 big contracts.

Then as guys like Fowler, Brockers, Blythe, Bortles, etc... hit FA they will recoup some comp picks to replace some lost draft capital.

So that picture is why they could make the Ramsey deal. They have enough young depth to make this happen.

They just can't completely bomb the next two drafts. They have to come away with a couple of guys in each draft at the afformentioned need positions.

TexasRam

Legend
I think the Rams under Kroenke are trying to get to the Patriots Model. We can't copy it to the T because we Tie up 25+ per year in our DT and a crap load in our RB. But some other positions we could follow the template.

The Pats Priorities are QB, 1 Possession WR, CB/S and 2 pass rushers.

Everyone else is paid under $6 Million per year.

Only 2 O-lineman are paid over $4 Million per year!!

1572508131697.png

If we follow this we will probably sign the following long term:
Ramsey (extended in 2021 at 15M+ per year)
Kupp (Extended in 2021 at 15-20M per year)
FA Guard (5-6M per year)
Weddle (extended in 2021 if his play doesn't decline)
JJ (extended at 7-8M range or he may take more in FA)
Littleton (10M? Long term)
NRC (5M per year - which is a bargain)

The following may be cap casualties:
Fowler ( cheaper in house solutions such as Obo or Patrick)
Woods (unless he wants to give us a cheap deal)
Cooks (after 2021 or in a trade)
Higbee (down the road)
Everett (unless he resigns cheap)
Ebukam (not resigned in 2020 unless on the cheap)
Brockers (not resigned in 2020)
Gurley ( In 2022 unless he returns to form)

Oline:
Noteboom, Edwards, Allen/Corbett will be on cheap contracts for us.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Johnson is likely to be dealt because they have Weddle for this season and next and Rapp is going to be a star. He is a rising player under a very team-friendly contract for 2020 so comes with value and they can use him to recoup either draft value or add depth somewhere else.
WOO...NOT A BAD IDEA......for a #1? ("likely" is strong language)
Sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do....he will not 'ascend' so much more....so, it might be a good thing.....I doubt it....because McVay doesn't have the guts.

fearsomefour

Legend
I think Corbett's window of opportunity to prove he can play at this level (with the Rams at least) is this season. Failing that, the Rams will add someone in FA and that window for him to be a starter will close. So if he's smart he'll go balls out to get on the field for us, which shouldn't be too hard with Blythe playing how he has.

And it's depressing that Demby is still on this roster. How that is when we have Brewer on our PS tells me Kromer's not over his ego and being right on his call on the guy. Demby cannot play at this level. Brewer might be able to. Cycle that roster and give him a shot.
The Rams need to be aggressive in addressing this. The problem is being aggressive without tons of cap to spend.
And no first round pick.
AC I think was brought in to compete for starting time. May happen this year or next but I don’t think he is on a short clock.
His salary is cheap. The team can bring in a FA still and have improved depth with him if nothing else.
But, I think he gets on the field this year.

fearsomefour

Legend
I liked the article as it lays everything out as far as free agents and players already signed. Of course, everyone will have different opinions on how the Rams go about tiptoeing around the cap issues.

The obvious moves are resigning Littleton and Ramsey. That gives the Rams high-level players at the three levels of defense. They can fill in the rest.

Then it's getting a working plan on the offensive line. Corbett and Edwards should be the keys. Corbett to play OG and Edwards to start at LT until Noteboom comes back and competes for a spot. Allen improves with experience and the weight room. If Evans can take the other OG Rams could become more solid on the offensive line.

Of course, the Rams could find some less expensive free agents and draft a couple of offensive linemen. Then there is the group on the roster and PS. The possibilities are many and really hard to predict. They need to become more physical to compete with the rest of the division and the NFL.

The Rams haven't completely knocked it out of the park with the draft and signing UDFAs. They have however recycled the roster with younger players with the potential to take over at some positions. It's going to be interesting to see if they can continue to compete.
Allen has been with the Rams for what?....approaching 20 or so months including a full off season?
The big gains he was going to make in the weight room have already happened.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Sorry again, meant Havenstein, not Higbee as a potential 2021 CAP casualty.
This damn edit button goes off too #@*&^% quickly.
Yes IF RT Rob Havenstein continues to perform next season 2020 as he has this season It will be his last season as a Ram.

Rams might get lucky & find a trading partner early next season if Kromer can develop a starting RT from our young current OL cadre who can pass block for Goff (Maybe Evans or Brewer). Havenstein just can not win against smaller quick speed rushers.

Havenstein would look good to teams like the Raven, Panthers or Seahawks who are predominant running teams You would do this for the $24 million salary cap dump.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Rams are basically rebuilding the OL on the fly. It is going to continue this offseason as Whit will come off the books and they'll try to add another top vet (i.e. Scherff I am sure will be targeted). The interior guys you can find, and we've got good options at RT. LT is the key and the biggest single question for not only the OL group but the entire offseason. It has to be solved via in-house and non-high pick draft options though because we don't have first round draft capital to use now.
With Whitworth retired the Rams OL leader gone there is not one Ram OL under contract can take that important position. Havenstein might have helped but his 2019 pass protection performance is near the bottom tier. Scherff will cost $$$ as much as Whitworth's contract did in 2017. Very hard to fit Scherff into this 2020 salary cap.
NRC will be replaced with a cheaper option. Either in-house by Long (which is my guess) or if not Long someone else. He's been a premier slot guy for a while now but the slot position is a spot you can insert young legs who aren't necessarily the best option outside the hashes and profit.
I have changed my mind completely on NRC & its not good. NRC most recent performances against horrible teams have been ugly & plain awful. If the Rams can trade off our two starting 2019 corners with the main reason being "Salary Cap Dump :poop:"why would a poor playing Nickel who will gives the Rams an over $6 million hit in 2020 as a non-starter be any different??
Johnson is likely to be dealt because they have Weddle for this season and next and Rapp is going to be a star. He is a rising player under a very team-friendly contract for 2020 so comes with value, and they can use him to recoup either draft value or add depth somewhere else.
Taylor Rapp is no JJ III not even close. Rapp has not shown me much in coverage skills. Looks like he can not cover anything, yes he can wrap up tacklers after his receiver gets his first down catch. Plus I see zero ball skills from Rapp.

Eric Weddle is slowly trending downward in his extra long career. RW mid season effectiveness is already down from what we saw in the very early games. I would imagine there is a chance that he will retire after this season. Rams better do every thing they can to sign JJ III for another 4 yrs.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Taylor Rapp is no JJ III not even close. Rapp has not shown me much in coverage skills. Looks like he can not cover anything, yes he can wrap up tacklers after his receiver gets his first down catch. Plus I see zero ball skills from Rapp.

Eric Weddle is slowly trending downward in his extra long career. RW mid season effectiveness is already down from what we saw in the very early games. I would imagine there is a chance that he will retire after this season. Rams better do every thing they can to sign JJ III for another 4 yrs.
I think this will be one of those rare moments where you and I disagree Boni. ;)

JJ has not played too well this season. Certainly not anywhere near the point where he'd be compared to Littleton for a big payday. This is why in spite of his upside and the fact I do think he's a good young safety they'll move him.

Rapp's shown excellent coverage ability for a rookie safety let alone a guy who was thought to be a SS only and who was drafted thus (2nd round). If teams had known he could cover like he does he would have gone in the first round. He's a complete safety IMO and is going to get better and better.

Weddle's certainly not the guy he used to be. But he's smart and his leadership is magnified by the Rams' move to a younger secondary group. Jettisoning Talib and Peters suddenly increase his role in terms of importance. Rams have him at good value this year and next. I think he plays out his contract.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I think this will be one of those rare moments where you and I disagree Boni. ;)

JJ has not played too well this season. Certainly not anywhere near the point where he'd be compared to Littleton for a big payday. This is why in spite of his upside and the fact I do think he's a good young safety they'll move him.

Rapp's shown excellent coverage ability for a rookie safety let alone a guy who was thought to be a SS only and who was drafted thus (2nd round). If teams had known he could cover like he does he would have gone in the first round. He's a complete safety IMO and is going to get better and better.

Weddle's certainly not the guy he used to be. But he's smart and his leadership is magnified by the Rams' move to a younger secondary group. Jettisoning Talib and Peters suddenly increase his role in terms of importance. Rams have him at good value this year and next. I think he plays out his contract.
Most of Rapps work this season has not been working in the secondary he has been working as a hybrid LB'er getting those type of assignments normally done by LB'ers.

Yes we do differ on Rapp's present abilities to play safety in our secondary. Sure he stands to improve, but today Rapp is a very easy pass play completion by our opponents QB's & Receivers. There is a reason that WWC long time reserve Marqui Christian took over for JJ III not Rapp.

I agree with you on the value of having Weddle in our secondary. His leadership is priceless! We are talking leadership here not about his on field performance the last few weeks though. EW is a true HOF safety in waiting.

On the positive side of things Christian has done well thus far!