Rams’ future offseason outlook following trade of CB Aqib Talib to Miami Dolphins

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Los Angeles Rams’ future offseason outlook following trade of CB Aqib Talib to Miami Dolphins
Here’s how things are shaping up for the future.
By 3k Oct 30, 2019, 8:00am
1572443981979.png

The Los Angeles Rams shipped CB Aqib Talib off to the Miami Dolphins today to clear some cap space at the expense of a fifth-round pick. The move would seemingly offer an opportunity to house some money in 2019 toward an extension for CB Jalen Ramsey allowing them to not put all of it into the future outlook.

Getting Ramsey extended was a requirement in order to try and match the value of what the Rams gave up to get him as he will need to provide multiple Pro Bowl-caliber (or close to as much) seasons to justify the move.I think there’s only one other player scheduled to be a free agent over the next two seasons that the Rams absolutely have to lock up: WR Cooper Kupp. Like Ramsey, Kupp is under contract through next season but will only be 27-years old in 2021’s free agency period.

But the Rams have some very difficult decisions on some current players to make in the next two offseasons and that’s before seeing how they perform on the field for the rest of this season let alone those who are contracted through 2020. Already, the Rams are on the hook for more than $90m in 2021 for QB Jared Goff, RB Todd Gurley, WR Brandin Cooks and DL Aaron Donald. Ramsey and Kupp would perhaps near another $40m on the books annually forming a top 6 on the roster beyond 2021. That’s not leaving a ton of room to address the likely vacancies let alone any that might pop up if the Rams decide not to renew some of the upcoming free agents.

LA Rams’ 2020 NFL Draft order with comp pick projections
Rd#Rd#Pick
2TBDTBDRams pick
3TBDTBDRams pick
3 (c)TBDTBDRams pick (projected)
4TBDTBDRams pick
6TBDTBDRams pick
7TBDTBDRams pick
The first-round pick was part of the package in the trade for Ramsey (2020 1st, 2021 1st, 2021 4th). The Rams’ original fifth was part of the trade for EDGE Dante Fowler Jr. The fifth they picked up in the deal that sent Marcus Peters to the Baltimore Ravens is the one shipped with Talib to Miami.

Here’s some of the flashpoints looking at the roster situation over the next two offseasons:

2020 LA Rams Free Agents
PlayerPOSTypeOutcome
Malcolm BrownRBUFARe-signed, 2-yr $3.25m
Blake CountessDBUFAWaived
Jared GoffQBUFAOptioned
Tyler HigbeeTEUFARe-signed, 4 yr $31m
Troy HillCBUFARe-signed, 2-yr $8.25m
Marcus PetersCBUFATraded
Aqib TalibCBUFATraded
Austin BlytheOLUFA
Blake BortlesQBUFA
Michael BrockersDLUFA
Marqui ChristianCBUFA
Dante Fowler, Jr.EDGEUFA
Bryce HagerILBUFA
Cory LittletonLBUFA
Mike ThomasWRUFA
Andrew WhitworthLTUFA
Greg ZuerleinKUFA
Morgan FoxDERFA
Jojo NatsonKR/PRRFA
Josh CarrawayOLBERFA
Kendall BlantonTEERFA
Chandler BrewerOLERFA
Josh CarrawayLBERFA
Marquise CopelandDLERFA
Donte DeayonCBERFA
Landis DurhamLBERFA
Dominique HatfieldCBERFA
Jeremiah KoloneOLERFA
Johnny MundtTEERFA
Aaron NearyOLERFA
Jachai PoliteEDGEERFA
Nsimba WebsterWRERFA
John WolfordQBERFA
2021 LA Rams Free Agents

PlayerPOSTypeOutcome
Jared GoffQBUFARe-signed, 4-yr $134m
Malcolm BrownRBUFA
Samson Ebukam34OLBUFA
Gerald EverettTEUFA
Troy HillCBUFA
John JohnsonSUFA
Cooper KuppWRUFA
Clay MatthewsLBUFA
Jake McQuaideLSUFA
Jalen RamseyCBUFA
Josh ReynoldsWRUFA
Nickell Robey-ColemanCBUFA
Tanzel Smart34DEUFA
Eric WeddleSUFA
Darious WilliamsCBRFA
Jamil DembyOLERFA
Travin HowardILBERFA

The O-line
LT Andrew Whitworth is retiring. RG Austin Blythe is an impending free agent. Many Rams fans were worried the departure of LG Rodger Saffold III and C John Sullivan would mean the line would be unreliable. How much moreso would it be with two more departures? And bear in mind that with Kupp and Ramsey extensions, the Rams likely won’t be able to fill left tackle on the market. Internal upgrades or draft picks and or UDFAs would be the likely solution, and I’m not sure that’s going to make anyone very comfortable given how good Whitworth has been since arriving and the attempted solutions between he and Orlando Pace’s time as the Rams premier blocker.

The edge rusher depth chart:
ER Dante Fowler is on a one-year prove-it deal. We’ll have to see how he does down the stretch, but if he ends up “proving it” that means he’s going to earn more than the $12m he got this year.ER Clay Matthews is on the books through next season, but he’s all but certain to hang them up after 2020.
ER Samson Ebukam plays out his rookie contract next year.

Suffice to say, change is coming here. A premium investment is probably unlikely given how much the position commands and the commitments the Rams already have in their top 6.

S John Johnson III
Talib’s departure marks the ninth consecutive defensive back the Rams haven’t re-signed (slot CB Nickell Robey-Coleman is an outlier here given his role). S Darian Stewart, CB Janoris Jenkins, S Rodney McLeod, S T.J. McDonald, CB Trumaine Johnson, CB E.J. Gaines, DB Lamarcus Joyner, CB Marcus Peters and Talib have all come and gone without the Rams expressing a willingness to commit to their services in the long term. Ramsey obviously has to be re-signed, but that could be an outlier comparatively especially if the Rams opt to move on from John Jonathan Johnson Johnston after next season.
ILB Cory Littleton
He was a special teams star. He transitioned into a talented starting inside linebacker. As a former restricted free agent, the Rams were able to keep him on an inexpensive tender in 2019. He’s unrestricted after this season. He’ll command more than the $3m he’s getting this year.
DL Michael Brockers
The Rams’ youth revolution probably means Brockers is headed for a similar fate as Saffold’s. That’s not the worst for him personally, but it does mean another starting position to address.
TE Gerald Everett
The Rams already splashed for TE Tyler Higbee through 2023. With the top 6 soaking up space, the Rams might move on from Young Gerald.

The Rams have a lot of decisions coming their way the next two offseasons, and the top 6 means they’re going to have to be selective about the way ahead. Without assuming anything from the youth that haven’t really affirmed their status yet, here’s a rough sketch of the 2021 Week 1 starters who are already on the roster including the Kupp and Ramsey deals:

That’s a lot of question marks for a team without a first-round pick the next two years that has as much committed on the books as the Rams will with deals for Ramsey and Kupp. That’s not to say the roster’s going to fall apart, but it does mean the Rams will be relying heavily on the names already penciled in on that least as well as relying on their own ability to identify non-premium solutions in the two years ahead.

And the Rams don’t have a ton in the upcoming 2020 NFL Draft to adjust personnel all that much:

Last edited:

fearsomefour

Legend
The Rams are in a tight spot.
They don’t have a lot of cap room, they do have a lot of FA.
Priority 1 to me would be resigning Littleton.
A approach I would take with the OL would be shopping for vets that are cheap.
Penn at LT for example. $2M a year. He would not be mistaken for an All Pro at this point but on the cheap can pick up some LT security. I would also resign Blythe as I think he won’t cost much....or if not him a vet in his price range. Would love sign a guy like Spain from Buffalo to take over LG. Don’t know what his price will be in FA.
Penn/Spain/Collier/Edwards/Havenstein
Noteboom and Evans providing depth at T, Allen and Blythe (or a FA or Brewer) providing depth at All three interior positions.
Landing a FA that provides an upgrade in ability (like Spain) is key and may not be doable.
Because the Rams have so many contracts with dead money (Gurley, Cooks, Havenstein etc) making meaningful cuts is off the books basically.
Interesting off season and I’m not what they will/can do.
I expect our depth to again take a hit....on paper anyway.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
Everyone keeps assuming Mathews and Whitworth retire. I say not so fast...….. to either retiring.

Mathews is signed though next year. I for one do not think he retries at the end of the season (his bloodline suggests he can paly until 40) and his career seems to have been revived since arriving in LA (minus the injury).

Everyone is writing off Whitworth too but it is not an absolute that he retires. Many here may not agree with this and he may not be cheap to retain for a somewhat cash strapped team but Whitworth is still an effective player (despite what some naysayers may think, he is still an above average left tackle plus a great team leader). I think it would be great for the Rams to bring him back if he was wiling to return one year team friendly contract, especially in light of Noteboom's injury.

Note: A new CBA will probably change some things on how teams manage rosters with player salaries probably taking a big jump anyway. I think the Rams are getting ahead of that now with these extension that they have done.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The Rams are in a tight spot.
They don’t have a lot of cap room, they do have a lot of FA.
Priority 1 to me would be resigning Littleton.
A approach I would take with the OL would be shopping for vets that are cheap.
Penn at LT for example. $2M a year. He would not be mistaken for an All Pro at this point but on the cheap can pick up some LT security. I would also resign Blythe as I think he won’t cost much....or if not him a vet in his price range. Would love sign a guy like Spain from Buffalo to take over LG. Don’t know what his price will be in FA.
Penn/Spain/Collier/Edwards/Havenstein
Noteboom and Evans providing depth at T, Allen and Blythe (or a FA or Brewer) providing depth at All three interior positions.
Landing a FA that provides an upgrade in ability (like Spain) is key and may not be doable.
Because the Rams have so many contracts with dead money (Gurley, Cooks, Havenstein etc) making meaningful cuts is off the books basically.
Interesting off season and I’m not what they will/can do.
I expect our depth to again take a hit....on paper anyway.
Yes #1 priority is to extend Littleton. I think its smart to get that done now if possible. If not there is a very good chance the Rams loose him to a currently well-endowed salary cap team. CL is seriously valuable to this defense after Donald & Ramsey. Next UFA IMO would be Greg Zuerlein. I would wait on resigning Blythe & see what offers he gets in UFA'cy. There is no real upside to spending so few priceless cap $$ in a poor playing OL'er. I would use the $$ to sign the younger more promising OG's Chandler Brewer & Jeremiah Kolone.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Everyone keeps assuming Mathews and Whitworth retire. I say not so fast...….. to either retiring. Mathews is signed though next year. I for one do not think he retries at the end of the season (his bloodline suggests he can paly until 40) and his career seems to have been revived since arriving in LA (minus the injury).

Everyone is writing off Whitworth too but it is not an absolute that he retires. Many here may not agree with this and he may not be cheap to retain for a somewhat cash strapped team but Whitworth is still an effective player (despite what some naysayers may think, he is still an above average left tackle plus a great team leader). I think it would be great for the Rams to bring him back if he was wiling to return one year team friendly contract, especially in light of Noteboom's injury.
Matthews being here next season is highly probable. When you lose 2 veteran defensive leaders like Brockers & Talib plus other young vets like starting Marqui Christian & Dante Fowler plus long time Ram Bryce Hager from your defense you need a defenders like Clay Matthews & Eric Weddle to be here in 2020.

Now Whitworth is different. An all pro with the standard that he has played with should not be tarnished with a career ending season where he is simply too old to be effective & take a chance on total embarrassment. I would not want that to happen. Add in the fact that offering him a just 1 yr contract @ a much lower rate than his near $17 million this season would be an insult to this great NFL player & simply wishful thinking IMO. More probable future event for Whitworth would be as n assistant OL job coaching the OT's in 2021 after a year off from the NFL. He would an absolute excellent future OL coach IMO.

The issue @ LT will just have to be handled by 2nd season LT's David Edwards & Bobby Evans. Then add in the 3rd LT Joe Noteboom by mid season when he is healthy. Snead drafted those two LT's for this very reason. Sign ultra low cost $$ OL Chandler Brewer to be here to back up Havenstein if need be. I am sure that Whitworth is ready to spend greater time with his young kids & wonderful wife for a change! That's what he has worked so hard for so many years to be able to do. He has certainly earned it.

Last edited:

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
A few good points and lot of guessing. At fisrt I thought this article was by a reputable writer. Then I saw who the author was.

RamsInfiniti

Rookie
I hate articles like this - first, we have no idea what the salary cap will look like in 2021. My guess is, a lot higher than today. We have traded away 1st round picks, but we still will have 12-14 draft picks, and this front office has been excellent at scouting undrafted players. We have plenty of young talent on this team that is going to grow and be ready to play. That is what the great teams do - they groom young players behind veterans.

My guess is, with Notebloom not being ready for 2020 to start the season, that Snead and company will convince Whitworth to come back on a team friendly deal.

fearsomefour

Legend
Yes #1 priority is to extend Littleton. I think its smart to get that done now if possible. If not there is a very good chance the Rams loose him to a currently well-endowed salary cap team. CL is seriously valuable to this defense after Donald & Ramsey. Next UFA IMO would be Greg Zuerlein. I would wait on resigning Blythe & see what offers he gets in UFA'cy. There is no real upside to spending so few priceless cap $$ in a poor playing OL'er. I would use the $$ to sign the younger more promising OG's Chandler Brewer & Jeremiah Kolone.
You consider Kolone promising?
Yikes.
I wouldn’t over pay for Blythe. It would be a cheap offer and he may well move on.
The hope with resigning him is getting improved depth for the whole interior as he is replaced by a better player starting.
I do expect Littleton to be resigned before Ramsey actually.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
You consider Kolone promising?
Yikes.
I wouldn’t over pay for Blythe. It would be a cheap offer and he may well move on.
The hope with resigning him is getting improved depth for the whole interior as he is replaced by a better player starting.
I do expect Littleton to be resigned before Ramsey actually.
Guess you noticed that I included Brewer's name first? I am trying hard to be upbeat & not a wet blanket thrower;). I am nowhere as impressed with Kolone as I am Chandler Brewer. CB played four Ram OL positions in pre season & IMO did well.

Mentioning Kolone here ......Kolone has now gone through two 2018/2019 Ram Training Camps & Preseasons. Kolone did spend time starting for Mike Martz in the XFL @ center in 2018. When Kromer's starting pre season center Aaron Neary tore up his knee it was Kolone who took over. Soon after the Rams gave Kolone his first Ram PS contract. Kolone in college was a 4 yr starter @ OG & OC @ San Jose State. I would guess you saw him play since your close to that TV market?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Rams are basically rebuilding the OL on the fly. It is going to continue this offseason as Whit will come off the books and they'll try to add another top vet (i.e. Scherff I am sure will be targeted). The interior guys you can find, and we've got good options at RT. LT is the key and the biggest single question for not only the OL group but the entire offseason. It has to be solved via in-house and non-high pick draft options though because we don't have first round draft capital to use now.

Ramsey will be resigned. There is no way he's not the #1 priority when they gave up 2 picks for him. Sooner the better too IMO. CB and edge rusher are the keys in this defense so the Rams will prioritize accordingly. In fact I also think the Rams will try to find an underrated vet CB type in FA too.

NRC will be replaced with a cheaper option. Either in-house by Long (which is my guess) or if not Long someone else. He's been a premier slot guy for a while now but the slot position is a spot you can insert young legs who aren't necessarily the best option outside the hashes and profit.

Littleton is likely to be resigned because after him the ILB position is a dumpster fire. This presumes his contract expectations are not out of whack. If they are they will let him walk because again the priorities are corners and edge rushers.

Johnson is likely to be dealt because they have Weddle for this season and next and Rapp is going to be a star. He is a rising player under a very team-friendly contract for 2020 so comes with value and they can use him to recoup either draft value or add depth somewhere else.

Cooks they will try to keep out of the middle to avoid further injury. And IMO he will be splitting time with JRey whose time and opportunity has come. I would think they look to move him at some point but to do that will require a stretch of him not being injured so they'll be careful with him.

Things are not nearly as dire as they seem. The suffering they've endured on the OL with Boom & Allen will pay off down the road with the two of them hopefully manning starting positions for us. Plus Edwards and Hav. They just have to ensure Goff doesn't end up with a blindside problem. Get the major moves right and all the other stuff will get sorted IMO.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
You can figure that the Rams will sign Kupp and Ramsey, hopefully Littleton and Ebukam are in the long plan too.

On Oline it seems they will be rolling mostly with what they got in the wings. It’s a bit depressing but maybe some guys like Evans, Brewer, Corbett etc,... pan out. I doubt they will be pro bowlers though.

fearsomefour

Legend
Guess you noticed that I included Brewer's name first? I am trying hard to be upbeat & not a wet blanket thrower;). I am nowhere as impressed with Kolone as I am Chandler Brewer. CB played four Ram OL positions in pre season & IMO did well.

Mentioning Kolone here ......Kolone has now gone through two 2018/2019 Ram Training Camps & Preseasons. Kolone did spend time starting for Mike Martz in the XFL @ center in 2018. When Kromer's starting pre season center Aaron Neary tore up his knee it was Kolone who took over. Soon after the Rams gave Kolone his first Ram PS contract. Kolone in college was a 4 yr starter @ OG & OC @ San Jose State. I would guess you saw him play since your close to that TV market?
I’m sure I saw him play but nothing I remember.
With Brewer, Collier, Allen and a fourth (let’s say a draft pick or Blythe) the Rams would seem to have solid interior depth. The problem is coming up with three quality starters.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I’m sure I saw him play but nothing I remember.
With Brewer, Collier, Allen and a fourth (let’s say a draft pick or Blythe) the Rams would seem to have solid interior depth. The problem is coming up with three quality starters.
Probable Future Ram interior OL prospects:
Austin Corbett 6-4/306-25/3 LG/RG
Coleman Shelton 6-5/300-25/2 OC/OG
Jeremiah Kolone 6-3/316-26/2 RG/OC/LG
Chandler Brewer 6-6/320-23-2 RG/LG/RT
Jamil Demby 6-5/321-24-2 LG/RG

Just guessing here but would expect the traded for Corbett to start @ LG & Chandler to start @ RG. Once LT Noteboom returns to the active status approx. mid season good chance that starting LT David Edwards would return to LG or RG post depending on how well the new starters have worked out.

I would imagine that the top priority ref. the OL as I see it now will be to draft RG that Kromer desires with one of the 3 second day draft selections.

fearsomefour

Legend

Just guessing here but would expect the traded for Corbett to start @ LG & Chandler to start @ RG. Once LT Noteboom returns to the active status approx. mid season good chance that starting LT David Edwards would return to LG or RG post depending on how well the new starters have worked out.

I would imagine that the top priority ref. the OL as I see it now will be to draft RG that Kromer desires with one of the 3 second day draft selections.
Maybe.
Easy to see a repeat of this years problems next year.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

I think Corbett's window of opportunity to prove he can play at this level (with the Rams at least) is this season. Failing that, the Rams will add someone in FA and that window for him to be a starter will close. So if he's smart he'll go balls out to get on the field for us, which shouldn't be too hard with Blythe playing how he has.

And it's depressing that Demby is still on this roster. How that is when we have Brewer on our PS tells me Kromer's not over his ego and being right on his call on the guy. Demby cannot play at this level. Brewer might be able to. Cycle that roster and give him a shot.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
A little over a week ago I addressed the 2020 roster and why i'm not seeing a problem, this was posted on our NFL Draft/College page as a mock. My feelings on the matter haven't changed much, and while there maybe some grumbling over the youth movement and its associated growing pains, I believe 2020 can be an extremely successful year for us.

2021 has some fans nervous as free agency closes in on Kupp, Everett & JJ3, ... i'm still not all that worried by it. I do suspect that other, lesser, impending free agents like Troy Hill, Roby-Coleman, Malcolm Brown, Josh Reynolds, Tanzel Smart & Samson Ebukam will depart, making room for both our 2020 and 2021 draft classes, as well as some potential talent from our current practice squad. Matthews we will keep a close eye on as he may yet be good for a one year contract, even at 35. Besides these free agent losses, I expect that Brandin Cooks & Tyler Higbee could easily become 2021 CAP casualties, freeing up an additional $8-9mil. in available CAP. Consider also that in 2021 Gurley's contract becomes ripe for re-negotiation, especially if his snap count continues to slide, so again, our team has plenty of options going forward to increase available CAP.
This year, 2019, the NFL team CAP rate stands at $188,200,000. In 2021 that figure could easily top $210,000.000., and if the next NFL/TV Network contracts go as expected, look for that figure to take an additional jump.

I see more of the same going forward, Snead working overtime to find specific free agent help, our scouting department continuing their good works finding talent, Demoff burning thru calculators to make our team goals fit the CAP, McVay teaching & training to keep our boys play-off relevant, and Kroenke financing the entire scheme from his offices in a spectacular state of the art brand new world class stadium. jmo.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I just have this sneaky feeling they won't extend him. Look at our LB corp they're a bunch of Littleton clones in size and athleticism. Now before somebody gets all pissy with me I'm not saying any of them will step in and match CL. But Wade has made a career out of getting the most of low draft pick or UDFA ILB. He'll think he can do it again and we'll save money that way. At best I think he gets a 1 round tender. And as you read this line somebody is already quoting this and giving me shit for this take :)

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I just have this sneaky feeling they won't extend him. Look at our LB corp they're a bunch of Littleton clones in size and athleticism. Now before somebody gets all pissy with me I'm not saying any of them will step in and match CL. But Wade has made a career out of getting the most of low draft pick or UDFA ILB. He'll think he can do it again and we'll save money that way. At best I think he gets a 1 round tender. And as you read this line somebody is already quoting this and giving me shit for this take :)

Your take sounds reasonable as the Rams are confronting a potential CAP pinch, and if the Rams can retrieve Dakota Allen from waivers, the interior competition is enhanced all the more. We are for the most part aware that Wade doesn't place a high value on expensive ILB's, so this could go in any direction. jmo.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
A little over a week ago I addressed the 2020 roster and why i'm not seeing a problem, this was posted on our NFL Draft/College page as a mock. My feelings on the matter haven't changed much, and while there maybe some grumbling over the youth movement and its associated growing pains, I believe 2020 can be an extremely successful year for us.

2021 has some fans nervous as free agency closes in on Kupp, Everett & JJ3, ... i'm still not all that worried by it. I do suspect that other, lesser, impending free agents like Troy Hill, Roby-Coleman, Malcolm Brown, Josh Reynolds, Tanzel Smart & Samson Ebukam will depart, making room for both our 2020 and 2021 draft classes, as well as some potential talent from our current practice squad. Matthews we will keep a close eye on as he may yet be good for a one year contract, even at 35. Besides these free agent losses, I expect that Brandin Cooks & Tyler Higbee could easily become 2021 CAP casualties, freeing up an additional $8-9mil. in available CAP. Consider also that in 2021 Gurley's contract becomes ripe for re-negotiation, especially if his snap count continues to slide, so again, our team has plenty of options going forward to increase available CAP.
This year, 2019, the NFL team CAP rate stands at $188,200,000. In 2021 that figure could easily top $210,000.000., and if the next NFL/TV Network contracts go as expected, look for that figure to take an additional jump.

I see more of the same going forward, Snead working overtime to find specific free agent help, our scouting department continuing their good works finding talent, Demoff burning thru calculators to make our team goals fit the CAP, McVay teaching & training to keep our boys play-off relevant, and Kroenke financing the entire scheme from his offices in a spectacular state of the art brand new world class stadium. jmo.

Sorry again, meant Havenstein, not Higbee as a potential 2021 CAP casualty.
This damn edit button goes off too #@*&^% quickly.