Rams face tough decisions on Janoris Jenkins, Trumaine Johnson

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I'm keeping both....but Snisher has a way with drafting DB's....so not really worried.

Lamarcus Joyner is not a NFL outside starting CB
Not so sure Boni....that dude has really looked good this year. If he continues to improve.....watch out....

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Both these guys are going to get upwards of $9 - $11 million per year on the open market.

I don't see Trumaine Johnson getting that kind of contract. I could be wrong...

He's having a good year, but he's only got 31 career starts. Has a little bit of a history getting banged up.

The interceptions look nice, but those can come in bunches.

I look for Trumaine to get courted similarly to the Alterraun Verner deal:

Verner: Signed a four-year, $25.5 million contract. The deal contains $14 million guaranteed. 2015: $4.25 million, 2016: $6.75 million, 2017: $6.5 million, 2018: Free Agent

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Not so sure Boni....that dude has really looked good this year. If he continues to improve.....watch out....

I concur with @BonifayRam I don't think that Joyner can play anywhere but the slot, but I am biased towards Joyner because IMO that pick should have been QB Jimmy Garoppolo and they did not have to give up a 5th round selection to even move up so I will never like Joyner and he's been okay, but nothing to change my mind to this point.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I don't see Trumaine Johnson getting that kind of contract. I could be wrong...

He's having a good year, but he's only got 31 career starts. Has a little bit of a history getting banged up.

The interceptions look nice, but those can come in bunches.

I look for Trumaine to get courted similarly to the Alterraun Verner deal:

Verner: Signed a four-year, $25.5 million contract. The deal contains $14 million guaranteed. 2015: $4.25 million, 2016: $6.75 million, 2017: $6.5 million, 2018: Free Agent

Verner got his deal two years ago, is more of a zone CB type, and doesn't have nearly the size that Johnson has and NFL teams covet.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
I wouldnt. Tru is only that good because he plays opposite Jenkins. They hardly throw to Jenkins side. Not trying to hate on Tru but he gets. Most of his interceptions vs #2 receivers. Before you say what about Calvin Johnson. He wasnt 100% healthy and he burned tru a couple time but Stafford Missed him

Did you not see the Det game, Jenks was out and Tru played Megatron all game? Tru doesnt need Jenks on the other side to get picks or shut down WRs.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
It's not a tough decision, retain them. If one doesn't want to return then franchise them and trade them. Do not let either of them walk free.
I like this idea, and I too would like to keep them both, but the question is how many teams would be interested in them at the Franchise Price!? and if there are no takers, can we afford the price tag!?!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I'm keeping both....but Snisher has a way with drafting DB's....so not really worried.

I agree with you on the Fisher drafting DB's he has done very well so I agree with you here.

On Lamarcus Joyner...I am a big fan. I do not have any heartburn as others have with him but they have some merit on him. Joyner for all purposes is a starter @ the Nickel. When LBer Mark Barron was knocked out early in last weeks game .... it was Joyner who came on the field & took his spot @ Lber. Joyner for most part never left the field again in the game when the defense was on the field. Even when Bates lined up as the 3rd LB'er Joyner played the Nickel & Ayers dropped into the DL as a pass rusher.

Note here on the 6-3 260 pound Akeem Ayers....if the Rams do end up without DE's Long-Hayes & Sims for the known reasons already discussed....Ayers could very well end up being a solid muti post player & in 2016 he might move into those vacated DE spots & roles.

The reason in my mind that Joyner has come on strong this season was when he plays the Nickle a good natural NFL position for him! When either JJ or Tru is out its Marcus Roberson who gets the start @ outside NOT Joyner.

After two really good tackles by Christian Bryant last week Fisher repayed Bryant by letting him play in the regular defense a few plays. I really like this Bryant DB and with both starting CB's & deep safety being UFA's along with safety Cody Davis a RFA....I look for Bryant to play a much bigger role in the 2016 defense. Bryant is currently Joyner's Nickels back up, but could see much more action @ deep safety if needed.

Last edited:

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I'd hate to lose either Jenkins or Johnson. But we do have some options with Gaines and Joyner. The one thing we can't do is lose both of them to free agency. Johnson might come cheaper and he's a quality borderline pro bowl talent. Jenkins is pro bowl talent. I don't understand why he hasn't been picked by now. Maybe he's not as popular around the league as we think. Which would bode well for us having a chance of keeping him.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I'd hate to lose either Jenkins or Johnson. But we do have some options with Gaines and Joyner. The one thing we can't do is lose both of them to free agency. Johnson might come cheaper and he's a quality borderline pro bowl talent. Jenkins is pro bowl talent. I don't understand why he hasn't been picked by now. Maybe he's not as popular around the league as we think. Which would bode well for us having a chance of keeping him.

I will have to disagree with you here snackdaddy. I think JJ will very popular as a NFL UFA in a few months after letting it be known that he will likely going the FA route for much more $$$ than the many offers the Rams made early this season.

When you are still as fast @ 27 yrs old as you were when drafted 4.45 sec in the 40 after playing 60 games with 57 starts is pretty up there. JJ has remained very healthy in four seasons of heavy play & is an improved force against the run now in playing strong in coverage and against the run, you get them both with JJ....very rare.

In 4 yrs he has demonstrated elite cover skills who has great return skills. JJ plays the classic man-cover corner post. JJ maintains some serious superior athletic ability even with a small stature. Yes he has had his up & down brain farts from those induced brain clouds:snicker:.

JJ's NFL injuries have been very few missing only 4 games in comparison to newly arrived rookie EJ Gaines JJ's 2016 eventual replacement who will have missed 16 games after just one season with Lisfranc fracture surgery & rehab. Last time we saw EJ Gaines playing good was just before he took some friendly fire from safety T.J. McDonald late in 2014 season. TJ smashed into Gaines had a bloody mouth & smacked his helmetless head on the turf. Never seen again. Sound familiar to this season???

JJ slight bumps & hurts:
2015- knee & concussion missed 1 game.
2014- knee missed 2 full games.
2013- Groin Zero missed games.
2012- missed 1 game for violation of team rules.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'v heard it said that Tru has made more plays, because the teams are afraid of going at Jenkins (they fear Janoris more)...We need to sign both, fanchise tage Jenkins if necessary....Hate to say it, but let Long, go...Saffold and Cook as well....Hell, Saffold is only a part time player anyway.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I see Jenks leaving and Tru staying. Would love to have both, but JJ does not seem to love the Lou to me. Maybe its the weather....

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
I'v heard it said that Tru has made more plays, because the teams are afraid of going at Jenkins (they fear Janoris more)...We need to sign both, fanchise tage Jenkins if necessary....Hate to say it, but let Long, go...Saffold and Cook as well....Hell, Saffold is only a part time player anyway.

This. There is a ton of cap money to be recouped with these cuts.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I will have to disagree with you here snackdaddy. I think JJ will very popular as a NFL UFA in a few months after letting it be known that he will likely going the FA route for much more $$$ than the many offers the Rams made early this season.

When you are still as fast @ 27 yrs old as you were when drafted 4.45 sec in the 40 after playing 60 games with 57 starts is pretty up there. JJ has remained very healthy in four seasons of heavy play & is an improved force against the run now in playing strong in coverage and against the run, you get them both with JJ....very rare.

In 4 yrs he has demonstrated elite cover skills who has great return skills. JJ plays the classic man-cover corner post. JJ maintains some serious superior athletic ability even with a small stature. Yes he has had his up & down brain farts from those induced brain clouds:snicker:.

JJ's NFL injuries have been very few missing only 4 games in comparison to newly arrived rookie EJ Gaines JJ's 2016 eventual replacement who will have missed 16 games after just one season with Lisfranc fracture surgery & rehab. Last time we saw EJ Gaines playing good was just before he took some friendly fire from safety T.J. McDonald late in 2014 season. TJ smashed into Gaines had a bloody mouth & smacked his helmetless head on the turf. Never seen again. Sound familiar to this season???

JJ slight bumps & hurts:
2015- knee & concussion missed 1 game.
2014- knee missed 2 full games.
2013- Groin Zero missed games.
2012- missed 1 game for violation of team rules.

I don't disagree that JJ has elite talent. Which is why I'm amazed he hasn't been picked for anything other than a pro bowl alternate last season. I know QB's stay away from him and thats why his numbers are down.

But the pro bowl is a popularity contest. Richard Sherman had 20 INT's his first three seasons and only 6 the last two seasons. Yet he's made the pro bowl the last two seasons. Quarterbacks stay away from him which limits his opportunities. QB's are giving JJ similar respect. But he's not a pro bowler in the eyes of the people who make those decisions.

We believe he's a pro bowl talent and thus will command a big payday in free agency. But does everyone else outside of St. Louis feel the same? Will he command top tier CB money in free agency? I'm not so sure. If not that bodes well for our chances of re-signing him.

Whatever the case, I feel its imperative at a minimum that we do not lose both JJ and TJ if we want to come back as a top ten defense. TJ might come cheaper. But its possible they could keep both. Those recent INT's though are only helping TJ's chances at a bigger contract.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
I wouldnt. Tru is only that good because he plays opposite Jenkins. They hardly throw to Jenkins side. Not trying to hate on Tru but he gets. Most of his interceptions vs #2 receivers. Before you say what about Calvin Johnson. He wasnt 100% healthy and he burned tru a couple time but Stafford Missed him
So you make the case Tru only performs because he is on the #2 WR but when he did perform against a #1 WR you make excuses to make it sound like he didn't do nothing? really? Maybe his position was the reason Stafford missed CJ so it wouldn't be an INT? How do you know if it wasn't Janoris he would be out of position and no where near and burnt for a TD as per usual?

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Franchise Jenkins if necessary and pay Johnson. McLeod, Barron (as a linebacker), and Hayes should also be re-signed.

If needed, cut guys like Long and Laurinaitis to pay them. We're likely drafting Laurinaitis' replacement in this year's draft anyway (although I could very well be wrong).

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
This defense was a long time build... our pass defense has not been this tight in 10 years or more. Whatever it takes to keep it together should be done.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Three Rams safeties will enter free agency- Rod McLeod-Cody Davis & C. Bryant, Both Davis & Bryant should be easy signs & if Rodney departs both could be fighting for his starting post @ deep safety.

Bryant has only been with the Rams for 2 years. Shouldn't be be a fa after next season?

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
+1
As long as we retain Willy Hayes we can afford to lose C. Long.

lockdnram21

Legend
So you make the case Tru only performs because he is on the #2 WR but when he did perform against a #1 WR you make excuses to make it sound like he didn't do nothing? really? Maybe his position was the reason Stafford missed CJ so it wouldn't be an INT? How do you know if it wasn't Janoris he would be out of position and no where near and burnt for a TD as per usual?
Excuse? There was multiple times that game Megatron was wide open. Jenkins hasnt gotten burned this year for real. He had one bad game vs bengals.