Rams face tough decisions on Janoris Jenkins, Trumaine Johnson

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams face tough decisions on Janoris Jenkins, Trumaine Johnson
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...decisions-on-janoris-jenkins-trumaine-johnson

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- There might not be two more improved players on the St. Louis Rams 2015 roster than starting cornerbacks Janoris Jenkins and Trumaine Johnson.

The timing for both players couldn't be better as they speed toward their first crack at unrestricted free agency this offseason. That Jenkins and Johnson have played so well in the final year of their contracts could put the Rams in a difficult position as the calendar has turned to 2016.

Among the many, many roster questions the Rams have to answer this offseason, there's quite a few that will center on the cornerback position. What will it cost to re-sign one or both players? Can they afford to keep both? Do they want to keep both? If they have to choose between them, which one will be a better value? If they have to choose between them, which one do they like more?

Those answers will have to wait until the offseason but defensive coordinator Gregg Williams made it clear on Thursday that he'd like to see both players back in Rams uniforms in 2016 and beyond.

“I love them, and they’ve done a great job," Williams said. "I would love to be able to coach them for as long as I can. I’d love to be able to coach them their whole career, but that’s the nature of our business. We understand that. When free agency came in, I was in this league for a long time and there was no free agency. When that started, it’s like college. You graduate guys and you’ve got to have guys behind them getting ready to roll, but those guys have been really, really fun to coach. They’ve done well, and I think you guys have seen them improve every single year of their careers. So, I’d love to be able to coach them for the rest of their career. Hopefully, we’ll see.”

Since we don't yet know the exact figure for the 2016 salary cap, we can't pinpoint the precise amount of money the Rams will have available to spend but we can safely say that they will have a large chunk available considering they have 17 players scheduled to be either restricted or unrestricted free agents. And the Rams could potentially have even more room if they decide to part ways with high-priced veterans like end Chris Long, tight end Jared Cook or offensive lineman Rodger Saffold.

So the case can be made that the Rams can afford to bring both Johnson and Jenkins back. And they'll probably try. But that begs the question of whether that would be the most efficient use of their resources given their needs to significantly improve the offense and re-sign other key defensive free agents. With E.J. Gaines working to return from his season-ending injury and fellow corners Lamarcus Joyner and Marcus Roberson taking steps forward this year, the Rams might have to make a difficult choice between Jenkins and Johnson.

Entering the season, the Jenkins was one pending free agent the Rams intended to re-sign before the year ended. That never came to pass as the Rams were unable to meet Jenkins' price and he cut off contract talks at the Week 6 bye. Jenkins said at the time that he'd be "glad" to sign back with the Rams after the year but he wanted to focus on the rest of his season.

It's a season that hasn't had as many big plays or defensive touchdowns as some of his previous three but it's been his steadiest as he's been able to stay healthy (aside from a concussion) and consistent. Jenkins' price has gone up accordingly and, considering deals given to the likes of Byron Maxwell in recent years, it's possible his price could approach the $10-11 million annual average.

Like Jenkins, Johnson has also put together his best season. Although he's had some injury issues the past two years, Johnson has flashed an impressive knack for making plays on the ball, coming up with seven interceptions and making 61 tackles. In Pro Football Focus' metrics, Johnson ranks No. 1 in quarterback rating against (47.4) and grades out as the league's fifth-best cornerback.

Given those numbers plus Johnson's size advantage (he's listed at 6-foot-2, 208 pounds; Jenkins is 5-10, 198), a price tag that once figured to make him a bargain relative to Jenkins has also probably gone up.

“Tackling very well," coach Jeff Fisher said. "Playing very smart. Jumping routes. Understanding route concepts, formations, splits, alignments and things like that. He’s doing a great job with that. The ball security ... the hand-eye coordination is extraordinary. He can make plays on the ball. We can go back and look at the interception highlights from this past year and a couple that Janoris made and a couple that 'Tru' made were outstanding plays.”

There are far worse problems to have than a pair of emerging young cornerbacks heading toward free agency. But for the Rams, the key is making sure that whatever route they choose to go not only ensures their long-term future at the position but allows them the flexibility needed to improve elsewhere.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
I say... pay da men. I'd give them the contracts of JL55 and CL91. We got really good, young, guys coming up on the DL and can draft Alabama's LB Rangland to replace JL55. We can even go pass rusher in the second round with one of our picks. Easy peasy.

FRO

Legend
It's not a tough decision, retain them. If one doesn't want to return then franchise them and trade them. Do not let either of them walk free.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Would really like to resign both, can never have too many good CBs.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
We can't let our young talent get away not without getting something back at least.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
It's not a tough decision, retain them. If one doesn't want to return then franchise them and trade them. Do not let either of them walk free.

This^ and Tru will resign, Rams might have to play some hardball with Jenkins.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I'd keep Tru if I had to pick Jenkins flashed his first year but hasn't been $10m+ impressive to me.

BeachRam78

Rookie
Name
john
Sign Tru to a team friendly deal maybe 6 mil per year and franchise Jenkins if he plays hardball. We need them both. Imagine Tru and Jenkins on the outside and Gaines at the nickel. Sounds pretty formidable to me ;)

FRO

Legend
If Gaines checks out healthy and ready to go I wouldn't mind flipping any of our CBs to get a good offensive talent. Jenkins, Johnson, Gaines, Joyner, Roberson is a great CB group, maybe the best in the league top to bottom.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
Screw other teams cast offs. We gotta keep the home grown talent we've worked so hard to develope.

FRO

Legend
Screw other teams cast offs. We gotta keep the home grown talent we've worked so hard to develope.
Exactly. Spend your money retaining our talented defensive guys. Keep drafting offensive guys until you get it right. Free agency is a farce.

tempests

Hall of Fame
Sign Tru to a team friendly deal maybe 6 mil per year and franchise Jenkins if he plays hardball. We need them both. Imagine Tru and Jenkins on the outside and Gaines at the nickel. Sounds pretty formidable to me ;)

Problem with UFAs is "team friendly deal" is off the table now. Got to pay them the going rate, IMO it's unlikely both will be back.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Yep going to be very hard to keep them both. 3/4 of the starting Rams secondary will enter UFA'cy in a few months & starting strong safety TJ Mc Donald will there next year.If the Rams Org. looses both Tru & JJ I would bet that they go hard @ Rodney as a resign since he has been the back up corner Nickel-Back.

That serious injury to EJ Gaines makes this even trickier:palm:. Lamarcus Joyner is not a NFL outside starting CB & that leaves just Marcus Robinson as the clear leader in taking a starting post IMO:cautious:. I would think that Rams scouts are looking hard @ CB's in this yrs draft prospects;).
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2016/CB

Three Rams safeties will enter free agency- Rod McLeod-Cody Davis & C. Bryant, Both Davis & Bryant should be easy signs & if Rodney departs both could be fighting for his starting post @ deep safety.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
image.jpeg

Memphis Ram

Legend
Both these guys are going to get upwards of $9 - $11 million per year on the open market.

And I read that the franchise tag number for 2016 CBs is close to $14 million.

Seems there is also the possibility that both might be gone. Should be interesting to see how this plays out.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
If it's one or the other, I'm keeping Tru. And it's not close.

lockdnram21

Legend
If Gaines checks out healthy and ready to go I wouldn't mind flipping any of our CBs to get a good offensive talent. Jenkins, Johnson, Gaines, Joyner, Roberson is a great CB group, maybe the best in the league top to bottom.
I wouldnt. Tru is only that good because he plays opposite Jenkins. They hardly throw to Jenkins side. Not trying to hate on Tru but he gets. Most of his interceptions vs #2 receivers. Before you say what about Calvin Johnson. He wasnt 100% healthy and he burned tru a couple time but Stafford Missed him