Rams face tough decisions on Janoris Jenkins, Trumaine Johnson

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

lockdnram21

Legend
Did you not see the Det game, Jenks was out and Tru played Megatron all game? Tru doesnt need Jenks on the other side to get picks or shut down WRs.
Megatron was not a 100%. Also stafford missed him a couple times when he burned Tru.. Not saying Tru isnt good but hes not best on team. Not even close. Without Jenkins we dont have a #1 cb

lockdnram21

Legend
I'm keeping both....but Snisher has a way with drafting DB's....so not really worried.

Not so sure Boni....that dude has really looked good this year. If he continues to improve.....watch out....
Hes not a outside cb. The gsmes I went to he could have easily been called for PI a couple times. Think he should take over FS next year

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Hes not a outside cb. The gsmes I went to he could have easily been called for PI a couple times. Think he should take over FS next year
I'm guessing you're referring to Joyner...Personally, I didn't like his coverage skills, just his tackling....But he seems to be improving...still gets beat and grabs..but I see improvement. I think he's too small to last a season at FS....reminds me of Barron at WLB....

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I'm guessing you're referring to Joyner...Personally, I didn't like his coverage skills, just his tackling....But he seems to be improving...still gets beat and grabs..but I see improvement. I think he's too small to last a season at FS....reminds me of Barron at WLB....
I will agree with you here. There's nothing wrong with being a starter @ the Nickle and a back up for the outside corners. I am also sure he could be a emergency SS & FS at anytime without too much drop off. So its not like we are trashing Joyner. Its just his 2nd season. Playing the Nickel is very important part of today's game & as you know, you better have a good Nickel if you want to win. Joyner is stepping it up to full-fill that great need here.

Bryant has only been with the Rams for 2 years. Shouldn't be be a fa after next season?.

I think you are 100% correct here, but CB Bryant is listed on this site as entering free agency in 2016. I think its a mistake myself & your on top of things(y)
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/st.-louis-rams/

The Rams Org. has some safety depth here that could permit them some various options @ safety in 2016. From the very beginning Snead has made it clear that he & Fisher do not tend to pay big cap $$$ or high draft selections for safeties but believe the corner positions are a much highly sought out position.

What that means to UFA Rodney McLeod & his worth to this Rams team is real hard to say right now. Rod has been a very good player from the beginning but many have been slow to warm up to him here. Rod has had a very good 2015 season. Fact is since entering the NFL as a UDFA in 2012 he has played in every game! He is still only 25 yr old. Rod has also started & finished many games as our Nickle corner. He became a starter in 2013 & has started every game since then. Rod can play both safety posts. The only real big missing chunk in his NFL game is he is no ball hawk. in 3 seasons he has only 5 INT's but he does have 7 forced fumbles & 5 recoveries!

We have seen them use three 2nd round selections on corners & two 3rd & 4th rd selections on safeties in their four drafts. In 2016 Snead/Fisher should be able to return four of this 2015's rosters safeties (McDonald-Alexander-Davis-Bryant) but the corners is where they will have to have a full 2016 FA'cy & draft plan in full effect. They will have only 2 CB;s on this seasons rosters returning and the big question mark EJ Gaines makes total of just three.

Last edited:

Rainram

Starter
Both please. If I have to pick one, it's Jenkins.

That being said...

Fisher, Williams and the staff have had a really good and long long at the players on their D. They know the D they want to run and are aware of the personnel they have and want they want to make it work. I have full faith in whatever decision they make.

Decisions on the other side of the ball, color me skeptical (but hopeful)

Will be a very interesting off season I think.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick

Looks like if Tru wasn't option #1 he certainly is now. Bye Jenks

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
If both want to stay in Rams uniforms then keep them both - they work well as a CB duo IMO. Why bother investing time and energy into making them the players they are if we're not going to try an do our best to keep them.

But if they have a desire to play elsewhere, then let them go - don't want production to drop because of unhappiness.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Jenk and Tru get tendered and 1 will stay! Betting on Tru and that's fine by me! Jenks plays too many hunches for my liking!

Lesson

Oh, really?
Megatron was not a 100%. Also stafford missed him a couple times when he burned Tru.. Not saying Tru isnt good but hes not best on team. Not even close. Without Jenkins we dont have a #1 cb

JJ's play, prior to this season, hasn't been that consistent. He showed flashes of being a ballhawk and a lockdown corner. But he was more consistent this year.

Tru, IMO, elevated his game to a different level and plays more consistent. I don't think he's as gifted as JJ athletically, but he's a way better tackler.

I'd rather have the guy who makes tackles and doesn't gamble as much than the one who isn't as good of a tackler and who gambles in coverage.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
If I had to choose, I would keep Tru and let Jenkins go. I think Gaines will be able to replace Jenkins and we will be able to pick up another corner through draft or free agency. Tru has really proven his worth this year. I think Tru has a good relationship with Fisher and will stay. Jenkins will want too much. I don't think we can afford to keep both, and IMO Tru is less of a "wild" card with a much better upside.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
For some reason, people have consistently underrated Jenkins since he's been here.

That said, it might be the smart move to let one of them go. You could do worse than TruJo/Jenkins, Gaines, Joyner, Roberson. But if that happens we better spend that money somewhere else. With the money we'll have though, I think we can sign one and franchise the other

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

The last two games we saw Joyner playing the deep safety position & Rod McLeod cover the Nickle or the second TE at times.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have a funny feeling Jenks is on the first bus out of the lou ...As much as Id love the guy to stay I think he is gone

we need to lock up Tru (ideally both of them )

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Both of these CBs are risky signings. I just don't like Jenks miraculous improvement in his contract season, for starters. I don't like how much time Tru has missed due to injury, even though I know it can't be helped. Tru played great this year, sure, but he's still the guy who was likely to be beaten out by Gaines before his injury ended this season for him.

My guess is the Rams only bring one of them back. Regardless of what Fish says he is not going to try to sign both. One of them allows the Rams to not have a glaring need at CB come draft time. My guess is that it's Tru who returns, I'm also of the opinion that Jenks is gonna take the most money period and if the Rams franchise him it will end badly.