Ram's FA List as of Jan 8, 2016

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Fisher is either will draft a DT or he will have to pay to secure a 3rd UFA at some point. What is Nick Fairley's worth???

Good question. Didn't he get 5 million last year from the Rams? Was that his highest offer or his only offer? I thought I read that there was very little interest from anyone looking at him as a starter. I really like him as the 3rd DT. If he gets paid more than the Rams can afford I am sure they will bring in another player that can replace Fairley. I am not so sure he would be as good, better, or worse, but they always have their eyes on someone. Jrry mentions substitutes all the time in his offseason mocks. Guys like Winn, or Mosely.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Yep your right ....Nick Fairley signed a 1 year, $5,000,000 contract with the St. Louis Rams.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I agree with everyone on the Barron Love but want to point out 1 important thing in my eyes. If Tree doesn't go down Barron is back as a role player. He is a former #1 with a lot to offer which may just make him to costly. With consideration to all the patchwork we already have in front of us he may be just to expensive to come in as a role player again. First I am resigning projected starters then going from there. JMO
Not to belittle his accomplishments I would love to keep him.
+1

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I say this about Barron....Barron was the best Ram performing LB'er after week 4 of our 5 on the roster after Alec Ogletree went down. Barron came fairly cheap where his cost $2.3 million was a serious blue light special on our 2015 cap. Alec Ogletree & Akeem Ayers will be where Mark Barron is now a UFA's next year.

If Fisher lets Barron depart.... Ogletree is it. Ayers is more DE than OLB'er & a less than part time LB'er in this defense. In addition we know that our high cap cost MLB'er.... JL performance has decline to a point where he can no longer back up the middle behind Donald/Brockers. Our LB'ing reserves are basically one 7th rd pick with four UDFA& WWC's.

lockdnram21

Legend
My #1 is Janoris. I think if Tru has to cover #1 receivers consistently he will have problems

jjab360

Legend
My #1 is Janoris. I think if Tru has to cover #1 receivers consistently he will have problems
Obviously you're biased given your username, but there seem to be a majority on here who think JJ is a better CB than TruJo and I just don't get it. Pretty much all the evidence points to the contrary

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Totally agree with you guys. When I say must sign I mean if they can sign those players then this defense will have great depth and could be the best in the league next year. This is why I dislike the salary cap. I think only half the salary should count against the cap when you sign one of your own, especially resigning draft picks.

fearsomefour

Legend
This is 100% correct on what happens if Fairley does what most believe, Nick Fairley will do ....chase the big long term $$$ contract. Rams can not invest big in Fairley but must commit DT/NT cap cash to keep NT Brockers past next season Thus currently this upcoming 2016 a replacement for Fairley is a very big need.

On the mentioning of DE Hayes here with DT Fairley ....Back in 2012/2013 seasons William Hayes main part in this DL rotation was in relief of the interior DL for Langford & Brockers on most passing downs! So was DE Eugene Sims. Neither Matt Conrath & Jermelle Cudjo were anything close to being effective as a rotational DT during those seasons. The injury to Chris Long the last two seasons has made Hayes or starting LDE for 2014/2015 seasons. In 2014 Fisher had a trio of Brockers/Donald/Langford which was highly effective. DT Alex Carrington was a waste of a master roster spot. This season Nick Fairley replaced Langford roster spot & came on fast over the last half of the 2015 season.
Agree.

Would you slate DT cap $$$ to keep DT Fairley or NT Brockers? Rams might be able to do a nice heavy one yr contract with Fairley but nothing more.

Bottom line here is so many twists & turns on the upcoming free agency to be able to precisely say what Fisher will do here but using two of the six 2016 draft selections on a NT & DE may be stretching it. I'm guessing 100% sure @ least getting a rookie DL'er here. The 6-3 280 pound Hayes is the most complete & versatile DL'er & would be a primary resign target. Hayes has proven that he can be a rotational player @ all four DL posts & bring much more to this team than Nick Fairley. Hayes is a proven veteran & loyal locker room leader! Hayes has played through many injuries & never takes a play off.:bow: Hayes could more than fill the vacancy of Fairley in the rotational interior along with Louis Tricant Pasat.

The thing about Fairley is the role he played in 2015....it was a non starter & his work history in the NFL has not been good as a full time starter! Fairley has always taken plays off when starting & does not play well through the pains of nagging injuries. Any team who pays big $$$$ for his services in 2016 beyond as a full time starter stands to be very disappointed.
I would rather have Hayes at DE than rotating around, although he can do it certainly.
The problem is the depth still takes a hit....to me two things make this D stand out talent wise, the overall talent and depth of the D line and, as of this year, the D backfield. Both face a serious challenge to keep together. Brockers, Donald, Fairley, Quinn, Long, Hayes is ideal with younger players filling out the depth. I could also see Long being let go with Hayes stepping into the starting role.

fearsomefour

Legend
Obviously you're biased given your username, but there seem to be a majority on here who think JJ is a better CB than TruJo and I just don't get it. Pretty much all the evidence points to the contrary
Tru was certainly better than he has been in the past, he is also a very good tackler. One thing that Tru brings to the table is he is big, a 6' 2" CB who can cover and tackle is not something to let leave.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I would rather have Hayes at DE than rotating around, although he can do it certainly.
The problem is the depth still takes a hit....to me two things make this D stand out talent wise, the overall talent and depth of the D line and, as of this year, the D backfield. Both face a serious challenge to keep together. Brockers, Donald, Fairley, Quinn, Long, Hayes is ideal with younger players filling out the depth. I could also see Long being let go with Hayes stepping into the starting role.

IMO Hayes has already stepped into the starting role as the starting LDE for the last two seasons for all practical purposes. I did not consider Chris Long a starting DE the last two seasons. I preferred Hayes then I still would prefer Hayes in 2016. We are both in agreement here where we both desire Hayes over Long as a Ram in 2016 & beyond. In 2015 Rams spent nearly 30 mil on both starting DE's Quinn/Long. Rams got only 12 starts, 40 tackles & 8 sacks between them due to injuries.

Hayes over the last 2 seasons (2014/2015) has remained fully healthy & played in all 32 Ram games starting 20 but that number is skewed because Long may have started the games but gave way to Hayes resulting where Hayes got most of the snaps as the game proceeded. Hayes has 95 tackles whereas long has 24. Hayes has 9.5 sacks and many more pressers whereas Long has only 4 sacks. Hayes has 2 forced fumbles & Long has one. In 2015 Long played the majority of his snaps after the Skins game in passing situations.

In 2015 the Depth of the DL was UNreal. I consider it near impossible for this Ram team to field anything close to that in 2016 making your point of concerns of depth magnified IMO. Rams basically lost both of it's star starting DE's (Long/Quinn) for the majority of the 2015 season for health reasons & still produced a very good defense.... thanks to the dynamic trio in the interior & the assistance from the outside of both Hayes & Sims.

Rams will be lucky to sign Hayes & will likely be without Sims, Fairley & Chris Long. Ram fans will be forced to get by in 2016 defensive Line with less quality depth & less quality talent. Where we will look back over the last two seasons & pine away the wasted moment in time by the Rams Org..