Rams extend Cooks through 2023

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

tempests

Hall of Fame
You can't look strictly at his personal production, you have to factor in other things he adds.

He can replace Austin on jet sweeps and nobody else on the roster can do that nearly as well. This lets Gurley pick up big gainers one to three times per game. Sometimes more than that.

He adds a weapon the defense has to defend deep. So now there is a player to replace Watkins for that "take the top off the defense" kind of stuff.

In many situations he is going to draw 2 DB's or a DB and S. That means Woods, Kupp, Gurley and a TE will be getting open plenty. Very favorable for the Rams passing attack.

So he replaces TWO players in essence, and will help the other players performance.

It's not just about how many yards and TD's he gets individually. This offense that McVay runs is very symbiotic. Weapons like Cooks are just what it needs. Each skill player has a different skillset and when it's all combined it's a new harsh reality for defenses.

He draws pass interference penalties too. 141 yards last season(fourth most in the NFL) and 68 in the Jacksonville playoff game alone.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

great job rams. 6 years at $14.67m per year for a player like cooks is a fair deal for both sides.

but i hope woods doesn't get salty about it. barely over a year ago almost everyone outside of us said the rams overpaid for him at $7m per year. turned out to be amazing value for the rams. not so good for woods.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
It's been reported that McVay has had a man-crush on Cooks since he entered the draft, and all Cooks has done has been gaining 1000 + yards every year since he came into the NFL (unlike Watkins)
So you are claiming a Brandin Cooks and Sean McVay bromance?

I would think that the injury history with Sammy Watkins scared them off a little bit as well.

Watkins was almost like a magic trick.

You move your right hand, (Watkins) so the audience doesn't notice what's going on with the left hand, (Wood, Kupp, Gurley), which I believe was a very underrated part of our success last year.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
giphy.gif
Guitar face to the 10th power! Or Jessica Simpson?

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
My reaction when I found out he got extension.

BlankLivelyJohndory-max-1mb.gif

My reaction if they "overpaid" or not...

tenor.gif

TexasRam

Legend
i’ll wait to see how it all plays out but that is a lot of money. I like the player and the person and i think Mcvay can get a lot out of Cooks but i generally don’t like giving truckloads of money to WR’s.

so mixed feelings from me honestly.

Not the end of the world but not baking a cake over it either.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
does this mean new money mean they threw his old contract and he now has a new contract for 88 mil?
train
No, the new money and years start next year. This year he’s making his $8 whatever million.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
IMO the biggest thing with this signing is it gives the team more leverage with AD. They can now say something like “Which do you want a franchise tag for $15 million for a couple years or do you want a 6 year deal for $22 million a year with 2/3 of it guaranteed?” This could be huge for us fans to get Cooks and AD signed before preseason.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Goff and Cooks are already working out together, I will be very disappointed if takes til mid season for the two of them to gel
train

I forgot that, thank you for pointing out my short memory LOL..........

Did you say "gel"..........

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
IMO the biggest thing with this signing is it gives the team more leverage with AD. They can now say something like “Which do you want a franchise tag for $15 million for a couple years or do you want a 6 year deal for $22 million a year with 2/3 of it guaranteed?” This could be huge for us fans to get Cooks and AD signed before preseason.
SONOFA...~ Lamarcus Joyner

TexasRam

Legend
The guaranteed money is reasonable and really what matters so the Deal is pretty smart for the Rams. So maybe i will bake a cake.