Rams extend Cooks through 2023

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Glad were able to lock someone up long term. Goff now has Cooks, Woods, Kupp, Cooper, Reynolds and Everett together for at least 3 years now.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Can't sign everyone: Joyner seemed expendable not just because we signed Cooks but because any money that would have gone to Joyner would be money that couldn't go to Peters.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Great news!

Now we don't have the cap space to sign AD this year. Unless I'm missing something. Can someone help me with that?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
i get 88 mil divided by 6 years equals 14.6 per year..
train
It is but he’s signed for $8 million this year the extension is for 5 and $80 million. So if you combine this year with the extension both numbers are accurate. In the end we traded our first round pick to have a WR play 6 years for $88 million.

Stump23

Rookie
Oh crap! There goes all the money for Donald!

But seriously, good move. I think Cooks will be in rarified air with Bruce, Ellard, Hirsch, Holt, Harold Jackson in Ram lore by the end of his contract.
Don't forget Flipper!!!!

Stl2La

Hall of Fame
Because he is not a free agent yet, that's the main reason. Plus Im not certain he is better.

He is better and way less injury prone. We signed a better player for $1.5 mil a season less than Watkins. I’m happy with it.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
So basically, the Rams signed Cooks for Watkins $$ (starting NEXT year) sight unseen. What will be the reaction if Cooks puts up #s somewhere BETWEEN his yearly averages and Watkins' #s from last season?

I see this as a realistic scenario when you consider Cooks will be splitting targets with Kupp, Woods, and our TE duo. There's also a guy named Gurley who had the second most receptions last year and will be getting a lot of carries.

At the very least, the Rams have to make the playoffs, and Cooks' have to be better than Watkins' were, not to mention Donald has got to get a new deal.

Ram65

Legend
Great news!

Now we don't have the cap space to sign AD this year. Unless I'm missing something. Can someone help me with that?

His cap hit will be close to his 8.495 Million already accounted for as his 2018 salary. What he gets is upfront money as a signing bonus. Rams don't usually go high on signing bonuses and like to do pay as you go. They could be going higher with the new contracts they need to do. Say they give him between 4-6 Million for each year. I imagine 20-24 Million signing bonus.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Love it ! proven #1 at a hard to replace position. He is worth it and reciever money will continue to grow so they signed him at the right time.

Now pay AD !