Rams expect to make uniform changes

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football/professional/rams-expect-to-make-uniform-changes/article_0092f450-465f-5a4f-b15f-9a7355c89dd4.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football ... 89dd4.html</a>
Rams expect to make uniform changes
Rams executive Kevin Demoff says a change in both the current uniform and throwback uniform for the team is possible, if not likely, in the not too distant future.

"I think at some time in the next five years, you’ll see a complete uniform — throwback and current uniform" — change, Demoff said. "I’d be surprised if we didn’t have it."

Fans seem to be obsessed with uniforms, and the recent announcement that the team would wear its 1999 throwbacks against Tennessee and Tampa Bay this season sparked another round of discussion. Both about the current uniforms and which throwback to use.

"Like everything else, you’re trying to elicit emotion from your fans, and our uniform colors seem to do that on a daily basis," said Demoff, the Rams’ executive vice president of football operations. "There’s not a day that goes by that there’s not a uniform question or comment on the Internet."

Teams are allowed to wear throwback uniforms at two home games each year. Choosing the Tennessee (Nov. 3) and Tampa Bay (Dec. 22) games for the ’99 throwback uniforms was a natural, given the fact that the Rams defeated Tampa Bay in the NFC championship game and then beat Tennessee in Super Bowl XXXIV that season.

"If you were looking for a throwback home ‘schedule,’ this was pretty obvious," Demoff said. "Even we couldn’t (mess) this one up."

By league rules, once a team chooses a particular throwback style, it must wear the same uniform for at least five consecutive seasons. In the case of the ’99 throwbacks, the Rams started wearing them in 2009.

"This is the fifth year," Demoff said.

But a lot of lead time is required in order to change throwbacks, and the deadline has passed to change the throwbacks for 2014.

"So if we choose to wear throwbacks in ’14, we have to wear these current throwbacks as well; 2015 right now would be the first time we could change our throwback — and we have to make the decision by the end of the year."

And Demoff doesn’t see that happening. If that’s the case, then 2016 becomes the first year the team could change throwbacks.

"One of the things we’ve talked about is if we’re gonna overhaul the current uniform, doing that in conjunction with the throwback change," Demoff said. "So basically you unveil all of your new uniforms at the same time rather than doing it piecemeal.

"A lot of discussion, a lot of thought has to go into the brand. But the thing that will make people passionate about these uniforms would be winning. People will love the all-blue look if we just won a few more games in them."

Demoff and the Rams get plenty of "advice" from fans about uniforms, be it throwbacks or the current uniform. For example, there always has been some sentiment for a return to the blue-and-white of the "Fearsome Foursome" days.

"I think the blue-and-white is a great traditional, classic look for our club," Demoff said. "I like our current throwbacks. I like our current uniform. They all have a meaning in time. We’ve talked about long-term doing a uniform re-design, looking back at the throwbacks we’re using now, or the blue-and-white, or a different hybrid. Or maybe something new and completely different."

The color schemes have changed over the 76 seasons of Rams football, but with the exception of the early Cleveland Rams, the colors haven’t. Almost invariably, there has been some combination of blue, white, and gold. Not to mention those curly horns on the helmet.

"The horns have always been part of what we’ve done," Demoff said.

At least since 1948, that is. That’s when the Rams became the first NFL team to have a logo on their helmets. The horns were designed by a Rams player at the time — Fred Gehrke.

"If you look back over the arc of time, we have such a classic, traditional uniform that people love," Demoff said. "And it elicits great passion. We have so many Hall of Famers that have worn all the different types of uniforms. I think our fans relate to all of them, but they certainly have a preference for each individual one."

The one striking deviation from some form of blue, white, and gold came in 1937, the inaugural season of the Rams’ franchise. The ’37 Rams wore a sharp-looking red-and-black jersey.

"I love the red-and-black Cleveland uniforms," Demoff said. "I don’t think people ever look back at the Cleveland ones, but we certainly do as a potential unique throwback."

Here’s a link to check out the red-and-black Rams jerseys, as well as a history of Rams uniforms:

y2joey

UDFA
We should do our 1973-1999 uniforms as the primary and the Blue and Whites as throwbacks (just the white)

Guy Mansworth

Rookie
Blue and yellow looks too cartoony for me. I know I'm the minority but I prefer our new ones. I'd love to see white/blue throwbacks though.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Guy Mansworth seeing with my eyes:
Blue and yellow looks too cartoony for me. I know I'm the minority but I prefer our new ones. I'd love to see white/blue throwbacks though.
Mirrors my thinking exactly, so the minority is getting bigger.

A55VA6 cipped in with this:
I want the blue and yellow back.

And yet both your pictures have the dark blue and gold colors? Couldn't find examples of the old logo?

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
As Kevin Demoff said in one of his chats, it wouldn't be a Rams chat without a question about uniform changes.

FRO

Legend
Right now I would like to see blue and white, but I'm open to new color schemes (red and black). While the blue and yellow arent my favorites they are better than our current ones.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
My guess is that the uniform change will coincide with the new or refurbished stadium opening.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Blue and White for our throwbacks Dammit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And do it as soon as possible. I mean 2016? Really? Get it done by 2014. Or is the old Blue and Whites too "LA" right now in the current political climate?

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ramhusker organizing a vigilante group:
Blue and White for our throwbacks Dammit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And do it as soon as possible. I mean 2016? Really? Get it done by 2014. Or is the old Blue and Whites too "LA" right now in the current political climate?
I'm all in. Just tell who we have to beat up. :doink: :bat:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Ramhusker said:
You know ... there may be something to that.
Additionally, I heard KD say (3 times) that they're open to the old Cleveland black & reds.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
I'm not a big fan of uniform change in general. I prefer building a tradition to chasing fashion I guess. I understand that "adjustments" are going to happen but I would prefer that wholesale uniform changes were left to the Pacific Northwest.

That being said, someone on here (sorry, I don't remember who) has a sweet picture of M. Faulk a modernized blue and white scheme. If change is going to happen that's a look I could appreciate! ...and bring back the horns on the sleeves!

BigRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
X said:
Ramhusker said:
Additionally, I heard KD say (3 times) that they're open to the old Cleveland black & reds.

But why?!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
BigRamFan said:
X said:
Ramhusker said:

But why?!
I dunno. That's probably the same thing Steelers fans say everytime they see their throwbacks.

BigRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
X said:
BigRamFan said:
X said:
Ramhusker said:

But why?!
I dunno. That's probably the same thing Steelers fans say everytime they see their throwbacks.

Valid point. Can you imagine a game between the Steelers bumble bee costumes and us in red & black? :sick:

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
My vote for a new helmet.
dlTylD7.jpg

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Wow, the dark blue and red are awesome!

We need those colors!

Blue and white is my second choice :)