Rams/Eagles trade update, Eagles unlikely to get compensation from trade.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...es-turning-down-72-million-offer-from-eagles/

Sam Bradford denies turning down $72 million offer from Eagles
Posted by Josh Alper on November 4, 2015

494695080-e1446676925476.jpg
Getty Images

There hasn’t been much talk about the Eagles signing quarterback Sam Bradford to a contract extension since the start of the regular season, but there was a report this week that Bradford had turned down a preseason offer that would have kept him in Philadelphia for the next four years.

Howard Eskin of WIP reported that the Eagles offered Bradford $72 million over four years before the season got underway and that the quarterback passed on it. Bradford was asked about that report when he met with the media on Wednesday and denied turning it down or even seeing it.

“That offer must have gotten lost in the mail,” Bradford said, via CSNPhilly.com. “I never saw that one. … I think those thoughts are a long way down the road. Obviously we have a big game against Dallas this week. Last week was more about stepping away and getting my mind right and getting ready for this week.”

If there was an offer of that size, Bradford’s play through the first seven games of the season probably doesn’t make the Eagles feel too bad about his decision to turn it down. His work in the remaining nine weeks will determine whether he can get back to that level or if the Eagles decide to look elsewhere for a quarterback come the 2016 season.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sam needs to get through the Cowboy game, and then a decent amount of their next game before they bench him or he gets injured, for the Rams to definitely be keeping that pick.

rking4441

Rookie
Name
Richard
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Here's the deal for me. I just can't imagine Bradford walking away from that Matthews spearing that Foles took in stride. Foles got absolutely BLASTED with the crown of the helmet so obviously that he was moved off of his feet horizontally.

I just can't imagine Bradford surviving a hit like that. THAT hit alone made Foles the guy.

Living in the Philly area and getting to watch most of their games, I have been very surprised that Bradford has not been injured yet. The Eagles O line is terrible and Sam has taken a terrible beating in some of the games he has played. He has taken quite a few shots that I was sure he was done, but he keeps popping back up! I think he is trying to thank all the loyal Rams fans that cheered him on while he recovered in St Louis by letting us keep our pick next year! haha Thanks Sam!

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
I think its pretty much a wash. Both QB's have played poorly at times. If Bradford was playing better the Eagles woulda got the better of it. But as long as Bradford plays its good for us.

Well, I'm failing to see the logic here. If both QB's are playing evenly, even at a poor level, then this trade leans heavily in the Rams favor. That second round pick was well worth it.

I don't think Bradford beats any of the teams we've faced. In fact, I think his season woulda ended against Green Bay. Seriously.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Exactly.

But, when you don't have it, you need to be able to improvise. It's why I mentioned Brady, who I hate to mention.

Who, btw, has been playing for 14 fucking years, under arguably the best coach the NFL has ever seen.

Foles, otoh, doesn't have 3 full years yet.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It's not a wash and here's why.

We got Foles and right now he is on an easy to pay/easy to cut contract. The Eagles got a 13MIL one year rental that they gave up a 2nd round pick and the best QB on their roster to get.

This is tilted in the Rams favor.

Without a doubt.

A second round pick is a good value for a trade that netted the Rams a cheaper alternative starter. With half the season gone the Rams are 4-3, have Foles extended affordably, more cap room for next year, and a nice pick for using to move up or to continue to supplement this strong roster.

Nick's been getting a lot of flak of late and I agree he's gotta play better. But this season isn't over. Still think this team can do very good things with him behind center.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I think its pretty much a wash. Both QB's have played poorly at times. If Bradford was playing better the Eagles woulda got the better of it. But as long as Bradford plays its good for us.

It's not a wash because we get draft picks on top of Foles.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
There is no way the Rams were going to resign Bradford after this season. He didn't want a pay cut, and if you read into the eye rolls, it is clear that he doesn't see himself as the problem. So in his mind he deserves the going rate.

So, if the Rams were never going to resign him after this season, trading him for a second was a good choice as long as they had comparable QB or better to lead the team. Foles and a second round pick was a great trade for a guy that the Rams were going to let walk.

Now, wouldn't it be great if the Rams used that Eagles second round pick on a QB and he turned out to be great? Eagles fans would be steaming over that one for the next thirty years.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
We still don't have a franchise QB on roster IMO.

Well that puts us in the same boat as about 24 other teams. 26 as soon as Brees and Peyton retire. Most teams don't have what many consider a "franchise QB".

fearsomefour

Legend
I've said it before - Bradford has to outplay Foles significantly this year for the trade to be anything but a win for the Rams. Maybe not a ginormous win, but a win.
This is it.
The cap space is key. In that sense the trade was great in that the Rams have so many important free agents coming up. The extra cap relive was very much needed. The Rams have a relatively cheap QB now.....of course, he is playing like it also. At least they get a pick or two out of it and cap space.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I'm curious! IF Foles continues to play like he has, and Bradford Plays as he has. And Philly doesn't sign Bradford up for 2016. IF Bradford stays healthy thru the season, How many here would go for the Rams trying to bring Sam Back!?!:thinking: What say you?:argue::D

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I'm curious! IF Foles continues to play like he has, and Bradford Plays as he has. And Philly doesn't sign Bradford up for 2016. IF Bradford stays healthy thru the season, How many here would go for the Rams trying to bring Sam Back!?!:thinking: What say you?:argue::D

I think that ship has sailed, Dave...

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter

No way. I'm all Sammed out. :seizure: Every play I'd be holding my breath waiting for his ACL to pop. :fighting:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Both QB's have under-performed in new systems....They probably would have played considerably better on their original teams...I say lose-lose all around....
Who cares about cap space when guys are giving away winnable games? We just cut two 2nd round picks...extra picks mean nothing until they produce...

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Who, btw, has been playing for 14 freaking years, under arguably the best coach the NFL has ever seen.

Foles, otoh, doesn't have 3 full years yet.
True, but how long has he been playing at a high level???? All of his years? Did his coach, turbo boost his processor? Scheme helps, nobody is arguing that.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
Here's the deal for me. I just can't imagine Bradford walking away from that Matthews spearing that Foles took in stride. Foles got absolutely BLASTED with the crown of the helmet so obviously that he was moved off of his feet horizontally.

I just can't imagine Bradford surviving a hit like that. THAT hit alone made Foles the guy.
Bradglass would of broke on that hit