Rams-Eagles Game report from the Coliseum (long)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Spent the weekend in LA with an old friend. Here’s my (longish) report:

Sat eve: Went to a Comedy Store event to benefit CA firefighters. Some big names like David Spade, Anthony Jeselnik, Marc Maron, Jeff Ross, Dave Attell, Nicki Glaser. Dinner was Korean Bulgogi BBQ and then Indian food. Delicious, but, ouch. Maybe I’m gettin’ old, but I wasn’t prepared for the FREAK SHOW that is Hollywood on a late Saturday night.

Observations from game day: I always enjoy seeing the Rams live and in-person-- even when they lose. However…

--The Coliseum is a dump. Main problem IMHO is the lack of space on the concourses. Halftime was a mosh pit, people jammed together like sardines. If you want to take a piss and get a beer, be prepared to wait a full half-hour to get through the crush of humanity. The new stadium will definitely help our home-field advantage IMO.

--Great Rams fan energy, especially in the first half. Last home game I attended was vs. the Bills in 2016, and the atmosphere last Sunday night was on a whole other level.

--Personally, I cannot stand the “Who’s House? Rams house!” cheer. Doesn’t seem like fans even enjoy saying it much. Wish they’d come up with a new one.

--Completely wasted Rams fan chick behind me, screaming and slurring, “Come on Rams, kick ‘em in the fucking nuts!” Like the passion, but she was obnoxious…thankfully she moved after the first quarter.

--Sat near two very friendly Eagles fans. My question to one of them: “would you still take Wentz over Goff?” He gave the diplomatic answer that “Wentz was a better fit for the Eagles, Goff a better fit for the Rams.” Interestingly, he said, “Goff is so soft-spoken, the Philly media would eat him alive.”

--Disappointed that they lost of course, but glad to attend a thrilling game that went down to the last second. What can I say—seeing the Rams live, in their old-school B&Y’s, always gives me a rush of nostalgia.

Game notes:

--Biggest play that sticks out was the Philly long-bomb where TWO receivers were wide open deep. I have never, ever in my life seen a busted coverage that bad. It looked like there were two punt returners just sitting there, waiting.

--Even from the stands I could see Saffold should’ve gotten the call on defensive encroachment.

--Play of the game IMHO was when Gurley failed to step out of bounds with twenty seconds left. Yes, plenty of blame to go around, but that one play was critical. Instead of one last gasp play from the 18, we could have had three plays from the 20.

--A play that drove me NUTS was when Joyner tackled the Philly RB with 2:43 on the clock. (I went home to check out the replay, and yes, the RB hit the ground at 2:43). With the 40-second play clock, the Eagles SHOULD have been forced to run another play before the 2:00 warning. Rams could’ve gotten the ball back at about 1:53, instead of 1:08. Rams play-clock operator needs to help with our home-field advantage, and not wait FOUR SECONDS to do his job!

--Philly fans started celebrating early after the Natson fumble. When they missed the kick, and the Rams were driving, the Iggle fans were totally freaking out. Wish we had pulled off the comeback…

Alright, that’s all I got for now. The wife and I are going to the first Rams playoff game… I’m expecting a great atmosphere, can’t wait!

Liberator

Pro Bowler
Good post. Agree with everything you said also. A big take away a few days later is how much went wrong (Natson fumble, blown coverage on deep balls, not going out of bounds TWICE, Goff's fumble/pick) and we still lost only by a TD and had a chance late. If this didn't happen right after the Bears game I think the narrative would be different.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Two plays doomed the Rams. Goff's flailing try at a pass to no one was on par to Sanchez' "butt fumble" and Jo-Jo's inability to field a punt.

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
Season ticket holder. This was the first game of the season I missed. Was in a Pittsburgh bar at 11pm watching it...LOL. Personally, after seeing footage from my fellow season ticket holders I'm glad I wasn't there. The asshole Eagle fans around our seats were obnoxious as fuck. My one mild mannered buddy almost threw down. I probably would have gotten in trouble.

Good report, I will disagree with you on the "Who's House" chant. We LOVE it, as do the fans around us weekly (based on their participation)

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The icehole Eagle fans around our seats were obnoxious as freak. My one mild mannered buddy almost threw down. I probably would have gotten in trouble.

Good report, I will disagree with you on the "Who's House" chant. We LOVE it, as do the fans around us weekly (based on their participation)

LARams1963, I'm actually glad that you and other fans like the "Whose House?" chant, even though I don't care for it much. As long as it gets fans revved up, that's the main thing. Quite honestly, I usually get (cheaper) tix behind the vistor sidelines, and therefore I'm near opposing fans-- who try to out-yell the Rams fans during that chant. (For example, near the end of the home loss vs. Buffalo, I heard too much of "Who's house? Bills house!")

Yeah, I lucked out being next to cool and friendly Iggle fans, unlike some of the other idiots out there...

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
--Personally, I cannot stand the “Who’s House? Rams house!” cheer. Doesn’t seem like fans even enjoy saying it much. Wish they’d come up with a new one.

I’d like to see us capitalize on “WOO!”

Seems like we could have fun with that. Plus, the sound carries well. We could make a lot of noise with that.

RamWoodie

Legend
Nice post.
As I've reflected on the game this week...I came away with this glaring point: As bad as the Rams played they still had the opportunity to win or tie the game. That speaks to the points McVay makes about getting things turned around fast. This team can be scary good...but right now they're not showing us that.

We folks in here are panicking about Goff, the OLine, the defense, and the play calling and right fully so...but I know we all hope this happens:

GET IT FIXED...the PLAYOFFS ARE UPON US...ONE LOSS AND YOU'RE DONE!!!

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
The Coliseum is a dump. Main problem IMHO is the lack of space on the concourses. Halftime was a mosh pit, people jammed together like sardines. If you want to take a tick and get a beer, be prepared to wait a full half-hour to get through the crush of humanity. The new stadium will definitely help our home-field advantage IMO.

This is beyond true. I couldn't tell if I was in line for the pisser or in line for beer. It's just one human mass out there.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
At this point I'm seriously wondering If I need to personally attempt to contact Sean McVay. Nobody else seems to be talking about this.

Your point about 2:43 is correct, however, the Eagles first play on that drive was ran with 2:53 - the play ended around 2:48 and McVay called timeout.

Had he NOT called timeout, the play clock was going to start at 2:48 (or if the operator was slow, 2:45) - which would have forced the Eagles to run a play before the warning AND preserve the Rams final timeout. The Eagles probably do something different, but assuming we still get a stop, we call timeout right after the play following the two minute warning and we have the ball in our hands after the missed field goal with 1:45.

The biggest issue I have with this is that McVay made the EXACT SAME MISTAKE last year home against the Seahawks. And somehow nobody is talking about this game changing clock mismanagement.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
Two plays doomed the Rams. Goff's flailing try at a pass to no one was on par to Sanchez' "butt fumble" and Jo-Jo's inability to field a punt.

I still can't believe that they released Cooper and kept Natson. Wonder what happens if he fumbles another punt?

Last edited:

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
--A play that drove me NUTS was when Joyner tackled the Philly RB with 2:43 on the clock. (I went home to check out the replay, and yes, the RB hit the ground at 2:43). With the 40-second play clock, the Eagles SHOULD have been forced to run another play before the 2:00 warning. Rams could’ve gotten the ball back at about 1:53, instead of 1:08. Rams play-clock operator needs to help with our home-field advantage, and not wait FOUR SECONDS to do his job!

It's always infuriates me when the Rams can't get home field advantages when playing in LA. I don't know of another team in the NFL that suffers from this misfortune.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
It's always infuriates me when the Rams can't get home field advantages when playing in LA. I don't know of another team in the NFL that suffers from this misfortune.

Agreed. I was sickened by the volume of cheering after an Eagles score.

dang

Legend
Agreed. I was sickened by the volume of cheering after an Eagles score.
Eagles fans had a lot to cheer about. They were big underdogs with many missing starters due to injury including their backup QB. There was an easy remedy to shutting them up. Don’t make so many mistakes, take care of business and kick their Asses in all phases of the game. Unfortunately that didn’t happen so get ready for another home team with lots of injuries but nothing to lose.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Spent the weekend in LA with an old friend. Here’s my (longish) report:

Sat eve: Went to a Comedy Store event to benefit CA firefighters. Some big names like David Spade, Anthony Jeselnik, Marc Maron, Jeff Ross, Dave Attell, Nicki Glaser. Dinner was Korean Bulgogi BBQ and then Indian food. Delicious, but, ouch. Maybe I’m gettin’ old, but I wasn’t prepared for the FREAK SHOW that is Hollywood on a late Saturday night.

Observations from game day: I always enjoy seeing the Rams live and in-person-- even when they lose. However…

--The Coliseum is a dump. Main problem IMHO is the lack of space on the concourses. Halftime was a mosh pit, people jammed together like sardines. If you want to take a tick and get a beer, be prepared to wait a full half-hour to get through the crush of humanity. The new stadium will definitely help our home-field advantage IMO.

--Great Rams fan energy, especially in the first half. Last home game I attended was vs. the Bills in 2016, and the atmosphere last Sunday night was on a whole other level.

--Completely wasted Rams fan chick behind me, screaming and slurring, “Come on Rams, kick ‘em in the freaking nuts!” Like the passion, but she was obnoxious…thankfully she moved after the first quarter.

--Sat near two very friendly Eagles fans. My question to one of them: “would you still take Wentz over Goff?” He gave the diplomatic answer that “Wentz was a better fit for the Eagles, Goff a better fit for the Rams.” Interestingly, he said, “Goff is so soft-spoken, the Philly media would eat him alive.”

--Disappointed that they lost of course, but glad to attend a thrilling game that went down to the last second. What can I say—seeing the Rams live, in their old-school B&Y’s, always gives me a rush of nostalgia.

Game notes:

--Biggest play that sticks out was the Philly long-bomb where TWO receivers were wide open deep. I have never, ever in my life seen a busted coverage that bad. It looked like there were two punt returners just sitting there, waiting.

--Even from the stands I could see Saffold should’ve gotten the call on defensive encroachment.

--Play of the game IMHO was when Gurley failed to step out of bounds with twenty seconds left. Yes, plenty of blame to go around, but that one play was critical. Instead of one last gasp play from the 18, we could have had three plays from the 20.

--Philly fans started celebrating early after the Natson fumble. When they missed the kick, and the Rams were driving, the Iggle fans were totally freaking out. Wish we had pulled off the comeback…

Alright, that’s all I got for now. The wife and I are going to the first Rams playoff game… I’m expecting a great atmosphere, can’t wait!

Thanks for the report! Good stuff.

But I gotta ask... Indian food? I've been to several big parties held by some of my Indian friends,,, and they don't even like their food. LOL

They had these large tray like plates with lots of little separate compartments for all of the different foods. I was very excited to try all of it,,, and I filled up all of the compartments,,, but I didn't find much to like. And I love extreme spicy food... but no luck. Maybe my friends are bad cooks though... and I've been to a number of different parties like this. What am I missing?

Maybe you could recommend a certain Indian food for me to try. Please steer me in the right direction Brudda!

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Goff's flailing try at a pass to no one was on par to Sanchez' "butt fumble"

I would say it was closer to Garo Yepremian's pass in the Super Bowl.

It happens in Tampa a lot too.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Great report @XXXIVwin Odd mix - Bulgogi and Indian food - odd combination. Add in some Jeselnik and.... Wow!

I always loved the Coliseum as a kid but I think I had a pretty big bladder back then.:cool: I definitely need to see a game there before they move to the new digs.

And I love extreme spicy food... but no luck. Maybe my friends are bad cooks though... and I've been to a number of different parties like this. What am I missing?
Indian food is one of the most spotty I can think of. You have to find the right restaurant. Butter Chicken, for example, at one can be ridiculously good and a hot mess at another. Tandori can be dry but is usually pretty good. Chicken Masala and "red lamb" are a couple of faves of mine and though I am not much of a bread person, I really like Naan. The problem is that with most Indian food you find, there is like ZERO subtlety. It tends to be a little bit of meat swimming in heart burn inducing curry gravy. And you know I love hot and spicy foods as well. The problem seems to be that most Indian food you find tends to be more on the heavily spicy side without actually being hot - if that makes sense. But if you make it to an Indian restaurant - ask for the beef kabobs. :sneaky:

Just my experience and why I rarely seek out Indian restaurants. I'm sure others have found some great places.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
At this point I'm seriously wondering If I need to personally attempt to contact Sean McVay. Nobody else seems to be talking about this.

Had he NOT called timeout, the play clock was going to start at 2:48...

You're right, Frantik, that is indeed timeout mismanagement. I remember thinking that Rams were incredibly lucky to have Joyner blow up the play so quickly that they even had a chance to stop the clock again before 2:40 (but then the clock operator was slow and didn't help us out). But had they NOT called timeout on the previous play (and saved it for later), it wouldn't have even been an issue.

Bottom line: if the Rams used their two timeouts correctly, they could have gotten the ball back at 1:45 instead of 1:08. McVay may be a terrific playcaller with a photographic memory, but his basic use of timeouts needs work.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Thanks for the report! Good stuff.

But I gotta ask... Indian food? I've been to several big parties held by some of my Indian friends,,, and they don't even like their food. LOL

They had these large tray like plates with lots of little separate compartments for all of the different foods. I was very excited to try all of it,,, and I filled up all of the compartments,,, but I didn't find much to like. And I love extreme spicy food... but no luck. Maybe my friends are bad cooks though... and I've been to a number of different parties like this. What am I missing?

Maybe you could recommend a certain Indian food for me to try. Please steer me in the right direction Brudda!

Selassie, I agree with RamsFan503, Indian food is really hit-or-miss. Hope those "little compartments" weren't filled with their cold appetizers-- those ALWAYS suck, IMHO. RamsFan503 is correct that the main dishes are usually "a bit of meat swimming in heart burn inducing curry gravy." I'm just a sucker for that heartburn inducing gravy... good stuff!

My favorite dishes are Lamb Saag and Chicken Korma. But really, the best Indian food I've had has always been in a big city, like SFO or LA or NYC. Everywhere else, it's a crapshoot.

The after-effects are usually a crapshoot as well....