Rams Draft Rewind: 2013/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I doubt I'll ever be happy that we traded up for Tavon so any grade I gave for his pick would be suspect. So I'm not going to give one. I will give the Rams an F for the 2nd round pick we didn't make. Although with our 2nd round track record maybe it was just as well we traded up. :confused:

I won't even grade picks below the third round because I think any positive results you get with those lower picks is mostly just luck. I'm happy with Tree and the jury is trending up for McD and Bailey.

With two first round picks I think we should have done better than we did. Getting Stacy saved this draft from a negative grade from me.

C- trending towards B-

I think youre being a little harsh here. We got a stud LB in tree, Tavon who showed plenty of flashes of the dominant player he can be (specially as a rookie WR) a stud rb in stacy, Tj Mcdonald who looked like he can be a very good player in this league and Stedman who i think also showed great potential. that in and of itself is a pretty good raft

Alan

Legend
iced thinking I'm too harsh:
that's kinda harsh... but then again, after seeing the drafts before the current front office, expectations were set low.
I changed my grade to C trending towards B.
How many starters would you expect to get with one pick in the top 15 of every round in the draft? 3 or 4? I'd think you could probably package your 4th and 5th round pick to move up and have 4 picks in the first three rounds. Unless your team is already loaded with talent and devoid of many holes, I'd expect you to get 4 starters. One of which (probably the first rounder) who would be really good. That's what I would expect and when I just get what I expect it's average and average is a C to a B.

Add in another 1st rounder and I would expect 5 starters, two of which should be very good. So again, C to B grade.We have 4 1/2 starters but none of them are really good. Some of them are trending to good and two of them are trending to very good (Tavon and Ogletree). If those 5 keep improving then I see a B. If Stacy can actually keep healthy, something he was unable to do in college which is why I didn't like the pick, then maybe even a B+. We're nowhere near there yet.

But yeah, I expect a lot when you have two first round picks. Don't you?

Alan

Legend
Flashes? Potential? Please. We had this really fast running back that Martz picked who showed flashes. I believe he ran for more than 200 yards in one of his games. How'd that work out? :)

Smith had potential. How'd that work out? I'm not interested in flashes or potential except that it makes me hopeful for the future but I've been hopeful for several years now. How has that worked out?

When I see good stuff happening every game over an extended period, say 1 1/2 years at least, then we'll talk again about me being too harsh.

But as I said, it would be a good draft had we only had 1 first round pick.

And again, I changed my grade to C trending to B.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Flashes? Potential? Please. We had this really fast running back that Martz picked who showed flashes. I believe he ran for more than 200 yards in one of his games. How'd that work out? :)

Smith had potential. How'd that work out? I'm not interested in flashes or potential except that it makes me hopeful for the future but I've been hopeful for several years now. How has that worked out?

When I see good stuff happening every game over an extended period, say 1 1/2 years at least, then we'll talk again about me being too harsh.

But as I said, it would be a good draft had we only had 1 first round pick.

And again, I changed my grade to C trending to B.

IMO thats unfair.. youre grading a draft class after their rookie years and unsatisfied with flashes or potential...what were you expecting?

Last edited:

Alan

Legend
NJRamsFan with this:
IMO thats unfair.. youre grading a draft class after there rookie years and unsatisfied with flashes or potential...what were you expecting?
You call it unfair but what you really mean is that you'd give a different grade.

Also, I believe that we're not using the same grading system. You think that a C is bad and, like I explained in one of my earlier posts, I call it average. Average as in , we got as good as what our picks should make us expect. We didn't maximize our potential and we didn't minimize (draft like we used too :LOL:) our potential.

I just read an article by JT (posted here at the ROD) and in it he wanted to get three starters out of this draft to be happy. Don't you have expectations along that regard about this draft?
I don't know what your expectations are but I expect to get a (eventually) quality starter with every pick in the first three rounds. If we do I'd give the draft a C. If we miss on some of the picks then the grade would be lower. If we strike gold on more than 2 of them (cause we have two 1st rounders and I expect gold with them) then we get a B If one of those is PB caliber we get an A.

So you can call it harsh if you want but I just call it my grading system. :)

How about you? What's your system and what are your expectations for this draft for it to be average?

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You call it unfair but what you really mean is that you'd give a different grade.

Also, I believe that we're not using the same grading system. You think that a C is bad and, like I explained in one of my earlier posts, I call it average. Average as in , we got as good as what our picks should make us expect. We didn't maximize our potential and we didn't minimize (draft like we used too :LOL:) our potential.

I just read an article by JT (posted here at the ROD) and in it he wanted to get three starters out of this draft to be happy. Don't you have expectations along that regard about this draft?
I don't know what your expectations are but I expect to get a (eventually) quality starter with every pick in the first three rounds. If we do I'd give the draft a C. If we miss on some of the picks then the grade would be lower. If we strike gold on more than 2 of them (cause we have two 1st rounders and I expect gold with them) then we get a B If one of those is PB caliber we get an A.

So you can call it harsh if you want but I just call it my grading system. :)

How about you? What's your system and what are your expectations for this draft for it to be average?

No I intentionally said unfair, because when you say things like you dont care about flashes or potential and you are grading a draft class after 1 season that is unfair imo. How much were you expecting these kids to show in year 1? Most of them showed me enough to be happy we drafted them.

I dont really have a set system for grading drafts (go figure:whistle:) But I do know that we had a good haul last year.

We got a potential franchise RB in the 5th round. We got a future pro bowl linebacker. We got one of the most versatile players in league who showed he can completely take over games. We got one of the most productive college Wr's in the country in the 3rd round and he too showed signs that he can be a contributor. TJ mcdonald, from what I saw looked like he is going to be a very good player.

The team got A LOT better from that draft and that to me is whats important

Alan

Legend
NJRamsFan continuing:
No I intentionally said unfair, because when you say things like you dont care about flashes or potential and you are grading a draft class after 1 season that is unfair imo. How much were you expecting these kids to show in year 1? Most of them showed me enough to be happy we drafted them.

I dont really have a set system for grading drafts (go figure:whistle:) But I do know that we had a good haul last year.

We got a potential franchise RB in the 5th round. We got a future pro bowl linebacker. We got one of the most versatile players in league who showed he can completely take over games. We got one of the most productive college Wr's in the country in the 3rd round and he too showed signs that he can be a contributor. TJ mcdonald, from what I saw looked like he is going to be a very good player.

The team got A LOT better from that draft and that to me is whats important
But I'm not grading them after only one year. It's merely a preliminary grade. That's why I have repeatedly said C trending towards B. I've seen enough that I think they were worth their pick or in Stacy's case more than their pick. Again, you seem to think that's bad and I don't. I'm saying I think their trending towards a B which translates to "very good". Seems to me we're still not talking the same language.

Of course the team got a lot better after that draft. Of course we had a good haul. You expected something else when we had two first round picks?

Let me ask you another question. Would you expect the Seahags to get as many good players as we do this year? My answer would be of course not. We're drafting in the top 13 or better in every round and we have an extra premium 1st round pick. Knowing that, how are you going to grade their draft? Can you compare it to ours? Or do you grade it by your expectations of, all things being equal, what should I get from the draft considering where I'm drafting. To me, if I get what I expect it's a C. Less than or better than what I expect shifts the grade accordingly.

So while you say you don't have a system you actually do but you just haven't bothered to try and verbalize it before and it's obviously different than mine. They're just grades though and not only are they purely subjective, their meaningless and kind of stupid. But fun.

I'm trying to figure out how to grade on a curve but I don't have all the details worked out. ;)

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But I'm not grading them after only one year. It's merely a preliminary grade. That's why I have repeatedly said C trending towards B. I've seen enough that I think they were worth their pick or in Stacy's case more than their pick. Again, you seem to think that's bad and I don't. I'm saying I think their trending towards a B which translates to "very good". Seems to me we're still not talking the same language.

Of course the team got a lot better after that draft. Of course we had a good haul. You expected something else when we had two first round picks?

Let me ask you another question. Would you expect the Seahags to get as many good players as we do this year? My answer would be of course not. We're drafting in the top 13 or better in every round and we have an extra premium 1st round pick. Knowing that, how are you going to grade their draft? Can you compare it to ours? Or do you grade it by your expectations of, all things being equal, what should I get from the draft considering where I'm drafting. To me, if I get what I expect it's a C. Less than or better than what I expect shifts the grade accordingly.

So while you say you don't have a system you actually do but you just haven't bothered to try and verbalize it before and it's obviously different than mine. They're just grades though and not only are they purely subjective, their meaningless and kind of stupid. But fun.

I'm trying to figure out how to grade on a curve but I don't have all the details worked out. ;)

I think I get it now, and I was just misinterpreting. I guess ive just gotten so used to "A" or "B" good, anything below, bad.
But now I do completely understand where you are coming from, it actually makes more sense your way.
Dont know why I ever doubted you Alan :bow: