Rams Draft Rewind: 2013/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams draft rewind: 2013
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/7446/rams-draft-rewind-2013

The NFL draft is still about a month away, leaving us with plenty of time to look ahead to what might happen. But it also gives us plenty of time to take a look back.

In the interest of keeping Rams fans from re-living the nightmares of drafts gone by, we'll limit our look back to drafts from which at least one current player remains on the roster.

With that, we finish off our recap of recent draft classes with a look at last year's group. Let's make a note that drawing any long-term conclusions after one year is an exercise in futility so keep in mind much of what follows is subject to change.

The picks: WR Tavon Austin (No. 8 overall), LB Alec Ogletree (No. 30), S T.J. McDonald (No. 71), WR Stedman Bailey (No. 92), OL Barrett Jones (No.113), CB Brandon McGee (No. 149), RB Zac Stacy (No. 160)

What's left: All of last year's picks made the active roster and, with the exception of Jones, all were asked to make fairly significant contributions at times. Jones essentially took a redshirt year as he rehabbed a foot injury and worked to add strength. McGee also didn't play much aside from special teams but did struggle when injuries required him to step in late in the season.

Austin, Ogletree, McDonald, Bailey and Stacy all figure prominently into the team's plans moving forward and all could factor as starters at their respective positions in 2014.

Best pick (so far): Ogletree got better as the season went along and led the team in tackles while starting from day one. But Ogletree was also a first-round choice so playing time and production were expected. For the purpose of this exercise, we'll go with Stacy because of the fact that his contributions came as a fifth-round selection. Stacy didn't become the full-time starter until week 5 but came up just short of 1,000 yards for the season and stabilized a dreadful run game almost immediately. Although some nagging injuries got in his way, Stacy managed to not miss a full game and figures to be the team's primary ball carrier moving forward. In a few years, don't be surprised if Ogletree, Austin, Bailey or someone else has a strong case for this spot.

Worst pick (so far): Nothing against Jones because it's unfair to judge someone who hasn't played but the simple fact that he's barely seen the field when everyone else has at least contributed makes him the choice. Again, it's too early to make any sweeping judgments on this class either positive or negative but until Jones gets on the field and provides some production, the rest of the class remains ahead of him. For what it's worth, the Rams still have high hopes for Jones' future.

What could have been: One year removed, who knows how some of these picks will turn out but there is one early "what if" that could be fair to question. Clearly, the Rams needed immediate help at wide receiver as they used two of their first four picks at the position. And though Austin and Bailey both appear to have bright futures, the receiver in this class that made the biggest difference as a rookie was on the board when the Rams picked McDonald in the third round. The team obviously needed a safety and has high hopes for McDonald, who might not have been available with the later third-round choice, but Allen was there to be had at No. 71. He posted 71 catches for 1,046 yards and eight touchdowns in 2013, rare production for a rookie receiver.

Alan

Legend
He wouldn't have had 71 catches for 1,046 yards and eight touchdowns with Kellen throwing to him.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
The only guy that I question from last year's draft is Brandon McGee. Is he capable of playing competently at this level? My inclination so far is it isn't likely.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I'm hoping that Tavon Austin proves me wrong, but I still believe the Rams should have kept that 2nd rounder and simply selected WR Cordarrelle Patterson & OG Larry Warford.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I'm hoping that Tavon Austin proves me wrong, but I still believe the Rams should have kept that 2nd rounder and simply selected WR Cordarrelle Patterson & OG Larry Warford.
I wanted both of those guys too. If we had done that, there wouldn't any talk of not having a number one, or maybe not...

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
The only guy that I question from last year's draft is Brandon McGee. Is he capable of playing competently at this level? My inclination so far is it isn't likely.
He needs some work, but at least he has what can't be taught...speed, and fairly decent size. We are just going to see if he has the ability to learn, process, apply, and have the heart and will to keep at it. I sure hope that he does.

He wouldn't have had 71 catches for 1,046 yards and eight touchdowns with Kellen throwing to him.

Good point, people seem to forget that after 3 games with Sam Cook was on target for 1,040 yards, then after 4 960, then after 5 851, and then...

OnceARam

Hall of Fame

Our FO falls in love with players. That's not a knock. It is what it is. Since the NFL is turning into a passing league, the bet could pay off. It's an open questions right now. But I expect a HUGE leap forward from TA this year.

My emoticon review:

WR Tavon Austin (No. 8 overall) :confused::) (can't decide whether I'm undecided bordering on happy or happy bordering on undecided, would have preferred Allen and Warford but would have fucked up the rest of the draft).
LB Alec Ogletree (No. 30) :),
S T.J. McDonald (No. 71) :),
WR Stedman Bailey (No. 92) :),
OL Barrett Jones (No.113) :confused:,
CB Brandon McGee (No. 149) :confused:,
RB Zac Stacy (No. 160) :D ( :D>:)).

MFaulk107

The Realness
Overall I'd say a good draft, not to mention all of them are still developing.

Alan

Legend
I doubt I'll ever be happy that we traded up for Tavon so any grade I gave for his pick would be suspect. So I'm not going to give one. I will give the Rams an F for the 2nd round pick we didn't make. Although with our 2nd round track record maybe it was just as well we traded up. :confused:

I won't even grade picks below the third round because I think any positive results you get with those lower picks is mostly just luck. I'm happy with Tree and the jury is trending up for McD and Bailey.

With two first round picks I think we should have done better than we did. Getting Stacy saved this draft from a negative grade from me.

C- trending towards B-

Last edited:
Although with the 2nd round track record maybe it wa just as well we traded up. :confused:

That's the way I look at it, they were able to turn that second round pick into a 3rd round pick, which for our regime is the equivalent of trading up again :).

Alan

Legend
Rams and Gators with his reservations:
That's the way I look at it, they were able to turn that second round pick into a 3rd round pick, which for our regime is the equivalent of trading up again :).

Perhaps I was a little too hard with my C- grade because I did really like the trade down that got us that third round pick which we seem to have made good use of. I'm going to change that to a C trending towards a B.

Perhaps I was a little too hard with my C- grade because I did really like the trade down that got us that third round pick which we seem to have made good use of. I'm going to change that to a C trending towards a B.

My C grade is 1 pro bowler and 1 other starter, so far Austin, Ogletree, McDonald, Stacy are all starters, my boy Stedman is going to be a starter, it wouldn't surprise me if Jones is. Just need that 1 pro bowler and we can move up from a C.

Alan

Legend
Rams and Gators with his grading system:
My C grade is 1 pro bowler and 1 other starter, so far Austin, Ogletree, McDonald, Stacy are all starters, my boy Stedman is going to be a starter, it wouldn't surprise me if Jones is. Just need that 1 pro bowler and we can move up from a C.
That's pretty close to my grading system too...for a normal draft. When you have 2 first round picks my expectations go up commensurately.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I wanted both of those guys too. If we had done that, there wouldn't any talk of not having a number one, or maybe not...

Not sure anything would stop the Watkins chatter from some on here, but I would not consider Patterson a #1 at this point at all. He was used more like Tavon as I recall, only more on kick returns. I thought Tavon was outpacing him prior to the injury.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Not sure anything would stop the Watkins chatter from some on here, but I would not consider Patterson a #1 at this point at all. He was used more like Tavon as I recall, only more on kick returns. I thought Tavon was outpacing him prior to the injury.
No, by the end of the season, he was looking pretty good. Every player needs time, and opportunity to develop. K. Allen, ended up with a prime opportunity due to multiple injuries by other players, but that doesn't diminish what he did with his opportunity, and that he was a polished receiver coming out. C. Patt was not polished, nor did he have the QB, or the same opportunities, but at the times he did, he made progress, as did T. Austin, who got into a couple top 10 lists as a rookie.

And I have no problem with people wanting Watkins. I do have a problem with people drawing a line, and saying THIS is the only way we should go.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
That 2013 draft has the chance to be epic.

No regrets. None.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I think last year's draft was pretty damn solid. It's easy with 20/20 hindsight to look back and pick a different route that to this point looks more promising than what the Rams ended up with but re-visit this subject next year or the year after and see what kind of picture has been painted. I'm very optimistic about Austin, Bailey, and McDonald being stout starters as Ogletree and Stacy have already proven to be. The jury is still out on Jones because of course he hasn't seen the field but we were kinda clued into the fact that he just might not his rookie year. Brandon McGee is the only one in this draft class that I have any doubt about at this stage and he could easily, pleasantly surprise us all this season. Heck, is there any doubt that the confidence that most hold with the guys calling the shots now in the Rams' organization isn't at least partially the result of this 2013 draft?

iced

I doubt I'll ever be happy that we traded up for Tavon so any grade I gave for his pick would be suspect. So I'm not going to give one. I will give the Rams an F for the 2nd round pick we didn't make. Although with our 2nd round track record maybe it was just as well we traded up. :confused:

I won't even grade picks below the third round because I think any positive results you get with those lower picks is mostly just luck. I'm happy with Tree and the jury is trending up for McD and Bailey.

With two first round picks I think we should have done better than we did. Getting Stacy saved this draft from a negative grade from me.

C- trending towards B-

that's kinda harsh... but then again, after seeing the drafts before the current front office, expectations were set low.