Rams' defense will have a new look, and coordinator Gregg Williams is fine with that

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I've re-watched all of the preseason games, keying on the secondary. I can not figure out why we don't play Hill more often! Sensabaugh plays soft, makes poor decisions and can't tackle. other than that, he's fine...

Hill plays hard, has a nose for the ball and is a sure tackler. He'll eventually start if Gaines stays down - IMHO.

I see things the same way. Hill's not the better athlete, but he's the better player right now.

I don't doubt Williams gets Cody playing better, but I don't want to suffer through growing pains while he does it. Got my fingers crossed on him, but a sense of doom also.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Cody Davis our long time reserve Free Safety or Coty Sensabaugh the Nickle Back/Corner:confused:.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Cody Davis our long time reserve Free Safety or Coty Sensabaugh the Nickle Back/Corner:confused:.

Actually Coty Sensabaugh will be starting at RCB because of the injury to Gaines, but I'm betting after proving he can't cover a bed, Sensabaugh will be replaced by Troy Hill and Gaines might never get his starting gig back again.

Athos

Legend
Joyner and Coty will get picked on all game long.

Lucky the Whiners have, probably, a worse stable of WRs than the Rams do.

But Smith once torched the hell out of this team.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Actually Coty Sensabaugh will be starting at RCB because of the injury to Gaines, but I'm betting after proving he can't cover a bed, Sensabaugh will be replaced by Troy Hill and Gaines might never get his starting gig back again.

I have not posted much on Coty but have made some negative statements in the Chat Room after several fail mode series in pre season. Coty has been disappointing & when you look at his cap cost it gets even more depressing. He seems like a good young guy who could be a good fit in this defense but he sure looks like our worse corner at the moment.

Making the above statement with full knowledge that Joyner has not looked any better. Joyner has played a ton of outside corner in pre season & has stunk it up too. But since I never thought of him as a outside corner he gets the nod above Coty here but he is no peach either.

Before the draft & the big trade of future draft selections you may recall I was thinking that a good young outside corner was a top need after QB. My thoughts have not changed any for 2017 draft. The fact is Gaines is physically not the same as he was before the injury. Its going to take a while for him to get back...as we seen he has been one nagging injury after another after another & here it is the Regular season has begun & EJ remains on the sidelines again. Both Coty & Lamarcus have demonstrated neither can tow the rope in EJ's place so who else is available? Troy Hill?
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/troy-hill?id=2552693

Troy Hill is just too small to be what Gregg desires in a CB on the outside. But he sure looks to be the best option at the moment to do what neither LJ or CS has done fill the large void in our secondary since JJ departed & EJ remains. Its apparent to me the corner position is going to be our "Achilles Heel" in our defense in 2017.

CB Steve Williams is unknown to me but from all that I can read on him he is best as a Nickle or Dime DB? Great I thought we already had enough of them with LJ & CS here. Snead is going to have to address the outside corner position in the draft in 2017. One more last thought here if the need @ CB was not so severe I am sure that Joyner will have been moved to safety already.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I'm thinking that Hill will be the new shining star soon.
He can play.....Liked him at Oregon....think he's more physical now...

I also think Coty Sensabaugh can handle the slot....not great, but won't kill us...Hoping to see what that guy Williams brings to the table...

Agree with all what @BonifayRam says above...except...I don't wanna see LeMarcus at FS either....

Curious why we didn't trade for Rowe....he's still on his rookie deal, no?

Wanna apologize to @jakebogen95
I'd definitely take a look at Dee Millner now....just to see if our system helps him....seriously...we need a better option on the outside than Coty...and the way Coty & Joyner are playing, I'd like to move Hill into the nickleback role....