Rams' defense will have a new look, and coordinator Gregg Williams is fine with that

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Rams' defense will have a new look, and coordinator Gregg Williams is fine with that

By Gary Klein

The middle linebacker is playing the position for the first time.

The weak-side linebacker is a converted safety who led the team in tackles last season.

The strong-side linebacker?

After the release of Akeem Ayers, the Rams have all but said they don’t need one.

At least not very often.

“If you look at how many teams we’re going to play this year that are going to play two backs in the backfield against us — not very many people like doing that against us,” defensive coordinator Gregg Williams said Saturday. “So take a look at how many times were going to play three linebackers this entire season.”

On Monday night, when the Rams open the season against the San Francisco 49ers at Levi’s Stadium, Alec Ogletree will be the new middle linebacker, Mark Barron flanks him on one side and the defense could utilize multiple defensive backs “in those areas that a linebacker plays,” Williams said.

Gary Klein and Lindsey Thiry preview the Rams season opener at San Francisco.

Cornerback E.J. Gaines did not practice this week and was ruled out of the game because of a thigh injury.

So the Rams could rely heavily on cornerbacks Trumaine Johnson,Coty Sensabaugh and Lamarcus Joyner with safeties T.J. McDonald and Maurice Alexander.

“It’s a passing league now,” Sensabaugh said, adding, “I’m just ready to compete. I don’t care who’s out there with us.”

Ayers’ departure — he signed with the Indianapolis Colts — leaves the Rams with three backup linebackers: second-year pro Bryce Hager, sixth-round draft pick Josh Forrest and undrafted free agent Cory Littleton.

Williams is noted for adapting schemes to fit personnel.

Last season, after Ogletree suffered a season-ending ankle injury in Week 4 at Arizona, Williams moved Barron from safety to a hybrid role similar to the one played by the CardinalsDeone Bucannon.

Barron flourished, finishing with a team-best 116 tackles.

“We’re going to play the best guys we have that they bring in the door,” Williams said. “I don’t draft them, I don’t sign them, but when they get here I’m going to coach them.”

Addressing reporters on the practice field a few yards from the Rams’ modular facility, Williams said Ogletree has put in the work, on and off the field, to make a successful transition to the middle.

Rams take wraps off Todd Gurley as regular season starts vs. 49ers

“When I say this I‘ll probably get in trouble: He’s been in here more than our quarterbacks,” Williams said, “and he’s been in the film room longer than some of our coaching staff around here.

“So you have to respect the fact that he’s going to get an opinion because he works hard.”

Ready to go

Left tackle Greg Robinson said he was looking forward to the opener and the chance to show his improvement from a year ago.

He will be protecting the blind-side of quarterback Case Keenum, who is making his first season-opening start.

The 6-foot-5, 332-pound Robinson was the No. 2 overall pick in the 2014 draft. He struggled at times with consistency and penalties during his first two seasons.

“I had a good preseason and that helped build my confidence,” Robinson said. “I feel like the game has slowed down a lot for me.”

Quick hits

Receivers Pharoh Cooper (shoulder) and Nelson Spruce (knee) also were ruled out of the game. Offensive tackle Rob Havenstein(foot) and linebacker Bryce Hager (concussion) practice but they are listed as questionable…. The Rams will have a short walk through Sunday and then depart for the Bay Area.

[www.latimes.com]

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
OK well maybe it makes sense to have guys who can defend the shorter pass, which is most of the passes in the NFL anyway, versus something else.

Can I just get 10 wins and a playoff game?

I don't care if Williams grows tits, just help the team get to the playoffs.

Bruce2980

Starter
GW is putting together one of the fastest defenses in the league, and designing this defense around them. He did a good job with Mark Barron, looking forward to seeing how well it turns out with Ogletree. The guys that were let go, for the most part, were slower and less hungry than their younger counter parts. Does anyone have any idea which team in the NFL, if any, has a faster defense? With such a fast pass rush, teams are forced to throw short, especially against this Rams D. I can't wait to watch the possibilities.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Niners are lickin their lips with Cody Sensabaugh as a starter in this one. He is going to be tested early and often, hope he's ready to turn his head and look for the effin ball.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
“If you look at how many teams we’re going to play this year that are going to play two backs in the backfield against us — not very many people like doing that against us,” defensive coordinator Gregg Williams said Saturday. “So take a look at how many times were going to play three linebackers this entire season.”
I don't think a 2-back set is the problem.
It's the 12 and 13 personnel groupings on teams with two good TE's.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I think they're being extra cautious with Gaines, Spruce and Cooper in order to get them at 110% for the Seattle game week 2.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Speed or not, I really have concerns about the secondary...Hope my concerns end up being unfounded...

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Not worried about the D in the least....Kinda excited to see Ogletree, Mo, TJ, and Barron on the field together....should be fun...I wonder who replaces Ayers? Which LB? or will they play nickle all day?

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Niners are lickin their lips with Cody Sensabaugh as a starter in this one. He is going to be tested early and often, hope he's ready to turn his head and look for the effin ball.

Yeah, Merlin.

Sensabaugh is gonna get a trial by fire in this one. Gulp!

lordbannon

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

With what receivers/QB? Yes, Torrey Smith has lit us up in the past....but that was Justin King...

JRobinson

MiLB

Respectfully disagree my brother.

Cody is not a bad corner. You can call him "average" and I'd agree with you. What hurt Cody in the preseason was the fact that Dak threw some awesome balls. That was the only game where Cody was truly exposed. Granted, he's NOT the best man to man coverage guy. But, he's serviceable. I highly doubt Williams feels worried with Cody against a guy like Gabbert. But, Aaron Rodgers, Brady, Rothlisberger.. Etc... Ok man I'm with you because Cody is "average" in my eyes but not this game.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Respectfully disagree my brother.

Cody is not a bad corner. You can call him "average" and I'd agree with you. What hurt Cody in the preseason was the fact that Dak threw some awesome balls. That was the only game where Cody was truly exposed. Granted, he's NOT the best man to man coverage guy. But, he's serviceable. I highly doubt Williams feels worried with Cody against a guy like Gabbert. But, Aaron Rodgers, Brady, Rothlisberger.. Etc... Ok man I'm with you because Cody is "average" in my eyes but not this game.

Queue up his tape from last year. Calling him average is a stretch, the only reason the Rams went after him is Williams thinks he can coach him up.

And for all the flak Kelly gets from fans the dude knows how to dictate matchups, and they'll be looking to take advantage of the Rams' safety help for him, so that is a concern for me in this game. But I hope you're right about him, and I hope that Williams has him ready to go or failing that does a great job of masking him in his scheme.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Gregg Williams present 2016 defense has changed a lot in one year. I am very interested in what this defense will look like on the field Monday evening. Very excited:heh:!

Of the three units the Lb'er cadre has undergone the biggest conversion.

The six 2015 53 player roster was:
WSLB-Ogletree/Bates
MLB-JL/Hager
SSLB-Ayers/lynch
The new five 2016 version is?:
WSLB-Barron/Littleton
MLB-Ogletree/Hager/Forrest

There's only one LB'er out of 6 playing in the same post as last season & he very well might be our part time SSLB'er & that's Bryce Hager. I would look for Josh Forrest to get a lot of reserve back up action @ MLb'er & SSLb'er. This is a major turnover in what was a solid defense in 2015. Not much has been posted on this because many of us think we will see multiple personnel packages that include many DB's playing up close to the LOS & have no ideal what to call them...except Mo Alexander #31. GW has blurred the lines between DB's & LB'ers completely. Even though it sure looks muddy to me ... Five Lb'er changes & this unit looks young & as dynamic as ever!

The DL has undergone more changes than we realize too. Three 2015 DL'ers are gone. Reserve DT Doug Worthington was replaced by NT Cam Thomas. DT Dom Easley replaced reserve DT UFA Nick Fairley. Reserve DE Hayes has replaced departed starter Chris Long. DE Matt Longacre took Hayes reserve DE position. Ethan Westbrooks was moved from inside to outside. Four changes to this DL in 2016 & I think it was for the better.

Now onto the secondary unit.....2015 starters UFA Jenkins & UFA McLeod & 2015 reserve corners Roberson & Patterson all four departed. SS Mark Barron was moved into the LB'er unit. His replacement in the 2015 roster strong safety replacement CB. Bryant is also departed. That's 6 changes listed there. New additions in 2016 are corners Coty Sensabaugh, Steve Williams & Troy Hill. 2 of the 3 newcomers are young vets who have played in many NFL games both with starts SW has 26 games with 2 starts in 2 seasons & CS has 60 games & 27 starts which is good to have. Both have game experience that will help us. Troy Hill came to us for the last 3 games last season & was known to be a Nickle-back for the Pats & Bengals only dressed in 3 games in his rookie season 2015 & that was with the Bengals. EJ Gaines has returned to the active roster as a starter in 2016 but is still injured. Seven changes from 2015 to 2016 in this secondary.

What is that ? looks like a total of 16 changes to this defense in 2016 from a year ago:wow:...did I miss any:thinking:?

Last edited:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I think they're being extra cautious with Gaines, Spruce and Cooper in order to get them at 110% for the Seattle game week 2.
The Rams 1st L.A. Home game in 22 years, You know it's an important Win to get!!(y)(y) Not that they all aren't! :mrburnsevil:

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Not worried about the D in the least....Kinda excited to see Ogletree, Mo, TJ, and Barron on the field together....should be fun...I wonder who replaces Ayers? Which LB? or will they play nickle all day?

Add Tru22 and Joyner and that is 1 physical tackling secondary. Behind that fast nasty front 7. Should be very fun to watch as long has we dont have to watch them for too many plays in a row. Get 3rd down stops and let the Gurley express and the OL score some points to put pressure on the opposing O, which will just play to the strength of the Rams D.

kmramsfan

Old School Ram Fan
Name
Keith
Hope you're right, Champ. I don't feel it yet though. Coty hasn't had the benefit of our bad ass DL in front of him for an entire game yet. Let's hope the pass rush will be a catalyst for a good secondary.

I'm thinking that Hill will be the new shining star soon.

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
not a Sensabaugh fan at all

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
So excited to see this D unwrapped and let loose on the NFL...

SierraRam

Recreational User
Cody is not a bad corner.

He was in the preseason

the only reason the Rams went after him is Williams thinks he can coach him up.

I've re-watched all of the preseason games, keying on the secondary. I can not figure out why we don't play Hill more often! Sensabaugh plays soft, makes poor decisions and can't tackle. other than that, he's fine...

Hill plays hard, has a nose for the ball and is a sure tackler. He'll eventually start if Gaines stays down - IMHO.

I'm thinking that Hill will be the new shining star soon.

I'd settle for 'average'