Rams could regret lack of investment in backup QB

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

nighttrain

Legend
Wolford knows the scheme cold and is less than $1M per year cap hit. Perkins is also sub $1M per cap hit. And we have a QB who will play through anything short of an amputation it seems.

I think I'd be more concerned with Wolford's ability to survive if he ever has to play more than a game here or there. I think he's reckless, but outside of that I don't think QB is a worry for us.
Rams are not gonna win many games if they have to start a third round draft choice
The Wolf is about as good as it gets for Rams at this time
train

Malibu

Pro Bowler
The economics work in our favor with the current 2 backups, but is this wise? Everyone hates paying a good backup to sit, but that is called super smart insurance. I don't call either Wolford or Perkins super smart insurance. I call a 1m signing of Blake Bortles super smart insurance when we signed him behind Goff because he had so much starting experience. Whether you like him or not you can't take away that experience.

I have been the one railing in the off-season to get better backup QB play for that insurance. I know being an armchair GM is easy but the need to replace x amount of players the question always is where do you allocate your financial resources in the off-season. Unfortunately there is only so much to go around with so many costly superstars.

My answer is we have a race horse of a team and if God forbid Stafford can't play we will sputter with imo marginal QB play. I know you all will say these guys have 3 years in the system and that counts for something sure but we all witnessed the difference between Goff to Stafford well just imagine Stafford to Wolford or Perkins. I feel this is a massive difference vs an ex saavy starter (think Daltonas an example) who now is relagated to playing behind a current starter. It is the experience alone that is worth it's weight in gold. But McVay and Snead think they can get by but this is predicated on two things: They think Stafford will stay on the field so they roll the dice and they believe in their coaching up ability of the other two backups.

We'll shall see.

CanadaRam

No guts, No glory.
Name
Andrew
if Stafford is out in the playoffs, no SB for Rams regardless of backup.

to me the only importance of a backup is to win enough in the regular season Stafford misses multiple weeks.

I have little confidence in Perkins or Wohlford would help in this.

That said, I’m glad the Rams don’t spend big bucks on a backup QB. Better to end the $s elsewhere