Rams could regret lack of investment in backup QB

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder

Rams could regret lack of investment in backup QB​

If everything goes according to plan for the Los Angeles Rams, backup quarterbacks John Wolford and Bryce Perkins would never see the field during the regular season or playoffs.

Even though Matthew Stafford battled through injuries during the 2021 season he did not miss any time as a result. Wolford took offensive snaps in three games, but this playing time came in blowout victories over the New York Giants, Houston Texans, and Jacksonville Jaguars.

While the Rams were incredibly successful against these teams, Wolford was not - and his performance in this limited action should be cause for concern moving forward.

Wolford_2021.png

When backup quarterbacks come in during blowout victories the play calling is typically hyper-conservative and run-heavy; however, Wolford managed to throw an interception against the Giants on only two attempts - his only completion was to the other team.

It didn’t get better for the backup quarterback against the Texans - Wolford dropped back three times resulting in a 8-yard sack, a 5-yard completion, and turnover-worthy pass that fell incomplete.

In the only regular season start of his career, the Rams defense scored more touchdowns (1) than Wolford’s offense. He finished that game with a completion percentage of 58% and an interception.

View: https://twitter.com/qbsmvp/status/1348295827299700740?s=21&t=sdajz1Ytqjh_A8WtcXLgEg

With Wolford sitting out of the 2021 preseason - he was recovering from appendicitis but also the Rams typically rest key players - it’s difficult to know where his develop currently sits. Has Wolford been better behind the scenes, earning the confidence of the coaching staff? Or is backup quarterback a ticking time bomb for a team that hopes to compete for a championship again in 2022?

The only realistic alternative this season is Bryce Perkins, who is far from a lock to make the team’s final roster.

While Perkins’ athleticism was impressive during the three exhibition games, he did not flash the ability to push the ball downfield on a consistent basis - and this is an extremely important element of LA’s passing attack.

It’s possible that the mobility of Perkins gives him a lower ceiling should the Rams need to replace Stafford in the short-term, though Wolford is a better fit from a traditional drop back perspective.

So what should have been the answer for the Rams behind Stafford - and what should the plan be moving forward?

Did the team need to acquire someone like Chase Daniel, Marcus Mariota, or Andy Dalton? Probably not.

But the Rams could have nabbed Trevor Siemian or Kyle Allen for around $2-2.5M per year. They could have selected a quarterback in the draft for the first time under head coach Sean McVay - and anyone drafted in theory would have offered more upside than the undrafted Wolford and Perkins.

Take Kansas State’s Skylar Thompson for example - drafted in the seventh round by the Miami Dolphins who had already signed Teddy Bridgewater in free agency. After drafting Thompson the Dolphins released Chris Streveler, who had previously served as the backup to Kyler Murray with the Arizona Cardinals. Thompson went later in the draft because he is already 24 years old. While he has all the traits you’d like to see in a big, strong-armed developmental quarterback, he was oft-injured at Kansas State.

This is just one way the Rams could have elevated their quarterback room, but instead they chose to stand pat.

After battling nagging injuries in 2021, Stafford isn’t throwing in OTA’s due to an injection in his throwing arm. He’s 34.

While no one wants to see him injured and miss time, 2-3 bad games from either Wolford or Perkins could be enough to prevent the team from making the playoffs. A backup quarterback isn’t going to take you to the Super Bowl if your starter misses the playoffs, but they can keep you on track long enough to earn you a spot in the tournament.

Hopefully we aren’t left reflecting on what could have been with the 2022 Rams team after an injury to their star signal caller. Los Angeles could regret their lack of investment in the backup quarterback position.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Agreed. Neither Rams backups moves the needle for me. I’d rather they have a guy like Huntley as the backup QB

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Neither Rams backups moves the needle for me.
Agree completely. I would rather have seen Hekker in there throwing passes. Hopefully Perkins gets better this year because I've seen enough of Wolford.

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
100% agree. We are in sad shape if Stafford goes down.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
IMO, McVay trusts Wolford and I believe he's as good as some of the others. Agree on Perkins arm limitations, but offers quite a bit with his legs. I believe the Rams will draft a QB next year most likely in the 3rd round for example, maybe Will Levis of Kentucky, he might go much earlier, but coached by Liam Cohen, Levis will be someone the Rams would look at.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I'm not sure about it but is there a catch-22 with backup QBs? To have a good one, you're going to have to pay him decent money. If he's not needed, that ends up being wasted cap space. Mental security but wasted money. If you go the opposite route, you save money but he won't be as good as the "good backup". In the end, it may not matter either way because when you're star QB goes down you're fooked. Rarely does a backup QB take over and take the team to great heights. So going the cheap route is probably the wisest.

oldnotdead

Legend
Yawn, Perkins has more talent than most backups, Wolford included. Wolford looked like a JAG last year. Perkins has better arm talent and running ability than Wolford. I would be very surprised if Perkins isn't the backup this year. They can always sign someone after the last cutdown to stash on the PS.

The knock on Perkins coming out was his lack of experience in reading defenses. Like Kyler and Baker, he didn't need to beyond his first read before the snap in college. Last preseason he showed real development in his ability to go through his reads. He showed poise and when he did run it was out of necessity, not desperation. That is what separates him right now from Kyler and Baker. Perkins has good arm strength and accuracy out to 20-25 yards which is actually good enough. Deep accuracy will come with continuing to improve his arm strength. Accuracy at those yardages will beat most zone coverages in the NFL. With the Ram's WR talent they will face mostly zone coverages.

This is why Tua will probably make a big jump in his play this year. He hasn't played with a scheme tailored to his skills and most importantly the WR talent he has now. Perkins would be fine with guys like Robinson, Kupp and OBJ to throw to.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
This is why Tua will probably make a big jump in his play this year. He hasn't played with a scheme tailored to his skills and most importantly the WR talent he has now. Perkins would be fine with guys like Robinson, Kupp and OBJ to throw to.
I have to see more from Perkins before I commit. Last preseason Perkins did improve, but his deep ball seemed to come up short and lack velocity too. I'm anxious to see how things develop this year. As to Wolford, last year, he was sick and I think that factored in. IMO, he'll get time in preseason too and then we'll see what we have.

Again, IMO, I believe McVay likes Wolford, he likes his decision making process and Wolford also has the ability to extend plays, not like Perkins, but he can extend plays. Also Wolford has a quick release, Perkins release is not as quick, but again, I need to see more.

FWIW I loved Bryce Perkins at Virginia and felt he had some upside because of his athleticism, but again, I need to see the ability to throw the ball deep more consistently and then maybe we truly have a bonafide backup for Saffold.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Meh.
You’re not winning a SB with a backup.
The Foles situation was an extreme anomaly.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Meh.
You’re not winning a SB with a backup.
The Foles situation was an extreme anomaly.
Earl Morrall came off the bench for two different teams to help them win Super Bowls (Colts and Dolphins)

PARAM

Hall of Fame
And Griese was 14 of 18 for 161 yards, 1 TD 1 Int total for both Superbowls. So yeah, though Morrall won a SB with the Colts (7 of 15 for 147 yds, 0 TD, 1 Int), it wasn't exactly the era of the NFL QB! Stafford was 12 of 18 for 165 yds, 2 TD and 1 Int by halftime of SB56!!! Like Pat Haden used to say, "I was constantly honing my craft.......practicing turning and extending the ball at just the right height for the RB!!!"

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Wolford knows the scheme cold and is less than $1M per year cap hit. Perkins is also sub $1M per cap hit. And we have a QB who will play through anything short of an amputation it seems.

I think I'd be more concerned with Wolford's ability to survive if he ever has to play more than a game here or there. I think he's reckless, but outside of that I don't think QB is a worry for us.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
He should have. Without him, the Dolphins might not have won that season when Griese was hurt.
Shula screwed up in 69 playing Morrall over Unitas, this time he went with Griese & that was the right decision.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
4 attempts is hardly a big enough sample to start panicking about.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Earl Morrall came off the bench for two different teams to help them win Super Bowls (Colts and Dolphins)
One more thing the Colts lost to the Jets 16-7. Morrall played horrendous.