Rams continue search for a solution at outside linebacker

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
In the junior thread mcvay says the physical was fine

Yeah, I saw that after I posted this.

Weird. Seems to be two different lines of reporting.

Doesn't matter in the end. We're gonna win with who we got.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Ejuan Price has been playing ROlb ?

I think he is behind Ebukham?

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I would love to have Franklin-Myers and Ebukam man the OLB spots. But I understand the lack of experience too. Easley playing OLB is definitely a twist. That’s like Aaron Donald making a switch to OLB.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I would love to have Franklin-Myers and Ebukam man the OLB spots. But I understand the lack of experience too. Easley playing OLB is definitely a twist. That’s like Aaron Donald making a switch to OLB.

For some reason I do not think that’s true.Then again Aaron Donald could play OLB and be excellent,but why ?

First I did not watch much of the defensive side,so Franklin Meyer has not stood out to me.

Ebukam is the starting RT OLB, with Price swapping in & out. Matt Longacre is the starter?

Well maybe not ? Like I said It’s a hard call ? The Rams switch defenses up a lot,running Robey-Coleman out there,maybe for Price(Longacre).”I’ve been watching more O’line play(Williams)

What is weird IMO is Wade had Easley playing more DE when he got hurt , & Morgan Fox was moving to OLB from DE/DT.

One thing from training camp fans could notice was Easley running & practing on the side fields.He looks fast & athletic.He is built More as a OLB.Morgan Fox was getting there as well.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Dom Easley was playing around 290 when he was @ UF & was listed as 6-2 288 lbs when drafted. I see that back in early summer Easley pounds were down to lower 270's......interesting news on Easley lining up @ OLB/ER in practice. Rookie JFM is listed @ 288lbs & he was lining up @ OLB?ER
Morgan Fox was 285 before he went down. There seems to be a pattern here.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Dominique Easley could be reborn here, hopefully he's a 100% and moving forward that could be a real asset...Glad Longacre has returned to practice and will play some against Houston, I'm sure if Wade feels the position is unsettled the Rams could make a deal, but hopefully Longacre stays healthy and Easley comes in as the designated pass rusher or maybe even more.

BTW I still think Ejuan Price has been having a good camp and will factor in as well, but I guess we shall see if he makes the final 53 as Wade does not comment on Price often.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Morgan Fox was 285 before he went down. There seems to be a pattern here.

Sometimes you just get the best players on the field and in Franklin-Meyers case, he's been to the defense what Joseph Noteboom has been to the offense. Not sure how this plays out, but Wade is giving everyone an opportunity, that's for sure.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
I'm really happy how the team has attacked the position from every angle. Promoting several talented in house players, signing a couple vets with varied experience, moving Easley around, drafting several potential starters, and still looking for more veteran help. I'm starting to think at least one of the rookies will see significant rotational snaps by mid season.

As with the WRs what was was a recent weakness is experiencing a complete turn around.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Ejuan Price has been playing ROlb ?

I think he is behind Ebukham?

Maybe. If so he makes the team for sure too. But I am certain the next guy up is Longacre, given his production last year in that spot. He is a better fit on the left but if Ebu can't go he is our best blindside option.

The question of who slots where should clear up a little this next game with it being the dress rehearsal.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
I think using Easley at OLB will work as well as moving Brown to RT and Hav to RG. I give them credit for thinking outside the box but I'm starting to worry about how thin we are at OLB

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I think using Easley at OLB will work as well as moving Brown to RT and Hav to RG. I give them credit for thinking outside the box but I'm starting to worry about how thin we are at OLB

IDK....What a front 5: Ebukam, Donald, Suh, Brock, Easley...Looks good to me, Easley is lighter losing weight, but still big enough to hold the strong side against the TE.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
It does look like they are scrambling to find something they are comfortable with. Also it makes you wonder if Easley will be around for long. Changing his position also seems like a last ditch effort to find a spot for him. The loss of weight makes it impossible for him to perform at his old position I guess. They could be just be seeing who is the most versatile.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-preseason-top-10-rookies-on-offense-defense

Preseason top 10 NFL rookie standout performances
BY MICHAEL RENNER

LandryOVRGrades-1024x581.jpg

Justin Lawler, Edge, Los Angeles Rams

With how weak the edge position is in Los Angeles, any semblance of hope from their seventh-rounder is a good thing. He’s given them more than that with two sacks and an added run-stop through two games.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Why the Rams are trying Dominique Easley at OLB
https://theramswire.usatoday.com/20...es-rams-dominique-easley-olb-position-change/
By: Cameron DaSilva

The Los Angeles Rams activated Dominique Easley off the PUP list on Monday, marking his official return to the field after tearing his ACL last year. It’s a big step for the oft-injured defensive tackle as he works toward making the 53-man roster for the regular season.

There’s just one major change being made to his game: his position. Wade Phillips said after Tuesday’s practice that the Rams are trying Easley at outside linebacker rather than his traditional position of defensive tackle.Why, you ask? Well, mostly to protect him from future injuries by taking some of the wear and tear off of his body by moving him away from road-grading guards.

“Right now we’ve got him outside. I think because of his history, I think it’s easieroutside,” Phillips said. “You’re not pounding against a 300-something-pound guy every day, which he did normally when he played a lot of inside, but I think this gives him a little more freedom to utilize his ability.”

On the surface, that makes sense. But when you look further at the move, it doesn’t bode well at all of Easley’s chances of making the roster. With just over two weeks until the Rams cut down to 53 players, Easley will have to learn a whole new position to show he’s deserving of a roster spot.

In no way is that an easy task. Easley has never shown that he can play outside linebacker, especially with him being listed at 273 pounds. He’s always been a defensive lineman and there’s a reason for that. He wins with power and subtle moves on the interior, not speed and finesse off the edge.

Phillips did mention former No. 1 overall pick Mario Williams as a guy he previously moved to outside linebacker with the Texans, but he was an athletic freak. Easley is a good athlete, but he’s also suffered several torn ACLs and doesn’t have the same explosiveness he once had.

This decision also shows how much uncertainty there is at outside linebacker opposite Samson Ebukam. Matt Longacre returned Tuesday but has missed significant time, while no other player has really stepped up in a big way to grab the starting job.“Longacre and Easley both practiced today, so that adds two more guys to the guys we’ve had,” Phillips added. “We’ve got some good players there, we hope to see who makes it. It’s going to be a tough competition for whoever makes it.”

Sean McVay weighed in on Easley’s move, too, saying he’s a good pass rusher who can win both inside and outside, though the latter has yet to be proved.“I think just a great pass rusher. He does a good job of being able to create pressure. Got great athleticism, turn and run. Whether he’s playing inside, whether he’s playing outside, he’s a guy that can influence and affect the quarterback in some of those pass-rush situations and that’s what we expect him to do,” McVay said.

Easley has a long way to go before he makes the 53-man roster, and this change doesn’t seem to help his chances. That is, unless he surprises everyone and dominates from his new position.

Last edited:

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm more interested to find out who will be at DE when we have four down linemen, which last season Quinn and Barwin did quite often.

Ebukam makes sense - but then do we rotate Brockers with Suh and Donald? Or play Donald at DE and the other two inside?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I'm more interested to find out who will be at DE when we have four down linemen, which last season Quinn and Barwin did quite often.

Ebukam makes sense - but then do we rotate Brockers with Suh and Donald? Or play Donald at DE and the other two inside?

Even Brockers got moved th DE last season with Westbrook’s playing NT

ProGen

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Dominique Easley will get cut. Unless a miracle happens and he can actually play OLB at a decent level.

That edge position needs a lift this year. Big time. Hopefully someone emerges through the pre-season/season.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
It could be that Wade will work Easley on the weak side ER/OLB post behind Ebukam, in the same fashion that he has John Franklin-Myers working strong side ER/OLB Matt Longacre. These two ER's normally drops down with 2 DT's for the four linemen 3 pt stance DL.

Wade has four veteran talented (Suh- Donald- Brockers- Wesbrooks) as his main interior DT's @ the moment. He will need @ least 1 more on the 53 player roster. Unclear still yet but I like rookie NT Sebastian Joseph-Day myself

The rest of the DL make up can be made up of a large combo mixture of Edge Rushers & Outside LB'ers. i.e. Matt Longacre- Samson Ebukam - Ryan Davis- Ejuan Price - Dom Easley plus 4 new 2018 Ram drafted rookies John Franklin-Myers- Justin Lawler- Og Okoronkwo- Trevon Young.

Last edited:

James Otto

Starter
Not feeling the concern at all at OLB. Ebukam looks legit to me, he has excellent footwork and hand usage and has been all over the quarterback in preseason. Longacre looks like a poor man's Chris Long to me. He probably good for 7-8 sacks on effort alone with this DL Easley is at 265 lbs, not sure why anybody is surprised, I'm sure this move was orchestrated as part of his rehab. And Easley is a beast.

Assuming Donald signs - these edge rushers will be playing along side arguably one of the most dominant DL's in NFL history. We don't need elite talent at OLB, just hard workers.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
IDK....What a front 5: Ebukam, Donald, Suh, Brock, Easley...Looks good to me, Easley is lighter losing weight, but still big enough to hold the strong side against the TE.
I can see a 4 man front with Easley but not Easley at OLB. Sorry I just think they are scrambling right now for depth. I'm hoping for Longacre to get healthy asap. I also think that Meyers will be at OLB opposite Samson way before they would use Easley.