Rams continue search for a solution at outside linebacker

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...-year-325-million-extension-rt-rob-havenstein

The Los Angeles Rams set out this offseason to improve their defense by find players better suited for Wade Phillips' scheme.

They succeeded in upgrading their secondary with trades for Aqib Talib and Marcus Peters and bolstered the defensive line by signing Ndamukong Suh to play alongside Aaron Donald and Michael Brockers.

But after trading veteran Robert Quinn to the Miami Dolphins and letting Connor Barwin depart in free agency, the Rams are still searching for solutions at outside linebacker.

The position battle has become the most intriguing, and perhaps the most confusing, since training camp opened three weeks ago.

“It’s very interesting,” said Samson Ebukam, one of the many trying to hold down a spot. “You just got to be ready for whatever.”

The competition has featured a dizzying number of candidates -- Ebukam, Matt Longacre, Ryan Davis, Ejuan Price, Justin Lawler and John Franklin-Myers -- moving interchangeably between the strongside and weakside positions, with some also playing the inside linebacker spots.

And on Monday, a new name, but familiar face for some members of the coaching staff, was added to the mix: Junior Galette. The Rams brought in Galette for a workout and coach Sean McVay said pending a passed physical that there was a "good possibility" that they would sign him.

“You can’t find enough guys that can rush the passer, create that pressure and make the ball come out a little bit earlier than offenses would like to do with the time, the rhythm and the pass game,” McVay said. “There are some guys that are doing a good job, but I think it’s really important for us to kind of tailor in, find out who we think those guys are.”

After Quinn and Barwin’s departures, Longacre and Ebukam were penciled in as starters.

Ebukam, a second-year pro who stood out last season on special teams, has seemingly solidified a spot despite being the only projected starter to play on defense through the first two weeks of the preseason.

“I have something to prove to the coaches,” said Ebukam, who recorded two sacks in two starts in place of an injured Barwin in 2017.

“He’s such a young player that didn’t play really one of those roles last year that we felt like it was important for us to continue to evaluate specific to our outside linebacker position,” McVay said. “Then we wanted to continue to get him some experience where we felt like that experience for him is at a premium.”
Longacre said he’s maintained the mentality of an “undrafted guy,” which he was in 2015 out of Northwest Missouri State. But he proved himself as a playmaker last season with 5 ½ sacks during spot opportunities.

“I’m more focused on making the team,” Longacre said. “I know I keep saying that, but I’m never going to lose that edge.”

It’s best he doesn’t. Although McVay said the decision to bring in Gallete was “independent” of Longacre’s situation, it seems probable that it played a role.

Longacre underwent season-ending back surgery after a Week 15 victory in Seattle last season. His integration through training camp has been slow because of a strict rep-count, and when he was inserted into team drills, he suffered a biceps injury that slowed him for a few workouts.

On Saturday against the Texans, Longacre could see his first game-action since Dec. 17, 2017. “I’m looking forward to building off of what I started building last year,” Longacre said. “And kind of continue to grow.”

After Ebukam and Longacre, the situation becomes even murkier.

The Rams signed Davis, a seventh-year pro, two days before the start of training camp. Price spent last season on the practice squad. Franklin-Myers and Lawler are rookies.

At any given practice, one has been opposite of Ebukam, or tucked on the inside of the line. Each has made a case for a role.

Davis played four seasons with the Jacksonville Jaguars before spending a season each with the Dallas Cowboys and Buffalo Bills. He has 14 career sacks and four forced fumbles. Davis was bound for a workout with Detroit, he said, when he received a call from the Rams. Almost instantly he changed course, deciding he wanted to play for Phillips despite a requirement that it would include a switch from defensive end to outside linebacker.

“I played [defensive] end my whole career in the league and I didn’t have to drop and cover so much,” Davis said. “The transition has been good so far.”

Coaches have been impressed. “He’s really shown up,” McVay said.

Price, a seventh-round pick from Pittsburgh in 2017, has elevated his profile over the past week. He started opposite of Ebukam against the Raiders.

Franklin-Myers, a fourth-round pick from Stephen F. Austin, has been used as both an interior lineman and on the edge.
Lawler, a seventh-round pick from Southern Methodist University, flashed during the offseason program, and despite dealing with a sore hamstring during camp has seen plenty of time with the starters. In a preseason game against the Raiders, he recorded a sack-fumble.

“There’s a couple of guys that have some versatility,” McVay said.

Galette, 30, played five seasons in New Orleans before he was released and acquired by the Washington Redskins. He was sidelined in 2015 and 2016 after suffering back-to-back season-ending Achilles' injuries and played in a backup role last season. He has 34.5 career sacks.

There’s also Ogbonnia Okoronkwo. A standout at Oklahoma, the Rams placed the fifth-round pick on the physically-unable-to-perform list when camp started after he underwent foot surgery in May.

McVay said Okoronkwo’s recovery has taken longer than anticipated, but did not rule out the possibility that he could return in time to join the fold.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
How would this forum take it if Rookie 2018 4th rd selection John Franklin-Meyers won the starting Strong Side OLB/DE post opposite 2nd year Samson Ebukam until Longacre gets healthy?

Rams have been hit early with injuries to what I believe would be our #2 & #3 OLB/ER'ers ...4th season young veteran ER Matt Longacre working to get healthy from 2017 back surgery & an early 2018 Training Camp bicep injury & top 2018 edge rusher Ogbonnia Okoronkwo out with broken foot ....both of these ER's return to health are currently unknown. What did we observe Saturday afternoon that would cause us to worry about JFM?

Last yr's drafted ER Ejuan Price & this years drafted ER's rookie's Trevon Young & Justin Lawler have not stunk up the field of play. The biggest surprise early in camp was Lawler, according to ROD TC observers he has done well thus far but he has been dealing with a nagging injury the last week or longer too.

DC Wade continues to line up 4 down linemen on pass rushing downs more than he rides with the base three. Wade just may have the best overall five pass rushing DL'ers in the NFL@ his disposal. {Donald/ Suh/ Brockers/ Easley/ Westbrooks} I do not see a big issue with one rookie starting early with the other 10 starters we have on this defense. :bueller:

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
In TC, Meyers was splitting time as an OLB and DE, left and right side.

Wade figuring out where he works best?

dang

Legend
So it’s obvious the Rams are still trying to figure out their OLB situation. They have a lot of potential young talent but it looks like they are looking for a little insurance coming out of the gate. I would like a nice vet addition to steady the ship.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Damn it, Sept. 10th Can't get here soon enough. Sounds like Wade & Co. have some "solid/good" options at OLB but ready keep testing them all while insuring nobody gets any news that could find its way to other teams before week 1. Competition is crazy at the edge position.

Ready get the idea they want to use a smaller DE at the strong side OLB to ready force the edge and let ILBs & our S's clean it up, then rotate the faster dudes on obvious passing downs while keeping them fresh. No way in hell will Wade let teams run on us like last year peeps!!!!

PressureD41

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
So it’s obvious the Rams are still trying to figure out their OLB situation. They have a lot of potential young talent but it looks like they are looking for a little insurance coming out of the gate. I would like a nice vet addition to steady the ship.

Sounds like it, or its a well planned orchestrated propaganda ploy to keep the mental presser on the youth right up to 53 man roster is named LOL :mrburnsevil:

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Interesting about Easley. I wonder if it was recommended he play at a lesser weight to protect his knees?

PressureD41

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
@A.J. Hicks interesting point on possible theory on playing slimmer.
But dam that DL rotation is going to be crazy and fresh for the playoffs, and I predict by week 11 we will say the same regarding our entire LB core. #noNameSquad

Ram65

Legend
The competition has featured a dizzying number of candidates -- Ebukam, Matt Longacre, Ryan Davis, Ejuan Price, Justin Lawler and John Franklin-Myers -- moving interchangeably between the strongside and weakside positions, with some also playing the inside linebacker spots.

On Saturday against the Texans, Longacre could see his first game-action since Dec. 17, 2017. “I’m looking forward to building off of what I started building last year,” Longacre said. “And kind of continue to grow.”

If Longacre is good to go the Rams could be ok at OLber.

Wade wants to move players around on the line to confuse the blockers. Having JFM and Easley able to stand up and play in the dirt could add confusion to the defenses by moving them around. Looks like the committee approach to OLber could be the solution. Seeing how Wade handles this will be interesting and important part to making this Rams defense top five in the NFL.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
So it seems like it wasn't the workout that went bad because McVay outright said "pending a physical" and then he failed the physical...

And thus ends the tail of Junior Gallette with the Rams...

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Easley right now at 261. Wade says OLB will be easier on his knees. He worked out at OLB today's practice.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
So it seems like it wasn't the workout that went bad because McVay outright said "pending a physical" and then he failed the physical...

And thus ends the tail of Junior Gallette with the Rams...

In the junior thread mcvay says the physical was fine

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Easley right now at 261. Wade says OLB will be easier on his knees. He worked out at OLB today's practice.

Good sign for the DL depth that they're comfortable doing this.

Bad sign for Easley though if he struggles on the contain. He has to be able to set the edge or he might be lookin for a new team.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
BTW it's feeling to me right now that Franklin will end up being the LOLB. He's got young legs and has done a pretty good job outside. He'll bring flexibility in backing up Brock too which is nice. Note that I do think his best position is probably 4/5T, but with Brock out there he's gonna be OLB.

IMO what they're trying now is to see if they can keep Easley healthy as a depth and/or passing down sub dude behind Franklin. Thing I'm wondering about is Longacre's status, what they really think in that building. Gonna be interesting to watch what they do, but it is pretty clear there are fewer options on the blind side. The depth there is pretty damn bad, where they probably figured Obo would be able to back up Ebukam.

If Matt can stay healthy I presume he slides over in the event Ebukam misses time, but meh. Hoping things settle in as it looks a bit dicey right now.