Rams Chat With Jim Thomas: 12/30/14

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
These are excerpts of questions and answers. To read the whole chat click the link.
http://sports.live.stltoday.com/Event/Rams_chat_with_Jim_Thomas_70?Page=0

An SI article by Joan Niesen described Snead's approach to building the roster as finding an obsession rather than a balance. In other words, be dominant on defense before anything else. Do you get the sense that will be the theme this offseason via draft and free agency? A couple years ago it was playmakers, last year felt like the running game.

I don't know. I think I'd go heavy on offense (with a limited number of picks). QB, couple of interior offensive linemen. Maybe a WR.
--------
Is there a spot on defense that can be justifiably upgraded before we concentrate on offense? Shutdown corner like Trae Waynes? Or do they consider Jenkins, Johnson and Gaines good enough?

I'd like to see another corner added to mix. I don't think the Rams feel that way however.
---------
Not a Bradford hater but since Fisher came here rams are 10-11-1 with Sam Bradford and 10-11 without him. You can make the argument they've played better football without him then with him. Would him being here really make a difference?

I think your math is off. The Rams were 4-5 without Bradford last year and 6-10 without him this year. That adds up to 10-15. And yes, I think the Rams would be better than 10-15 with Bradford.
----------
I am feeling let down by this season, it is hard not to think the team regressed, Down in almost categories. This team says they are on the brink of success. What do you think ? I think if they fail to have a winning record it is time to move on and I am a Fisher supporter. Fours years is long enough to prove it

I think this was clearly the most talented team that Fisher has had in three years here. I do think they are close to breaking out. But the result was 6-10. And therein lies the disappointment of 2014, even with the quarterback issues. And yes, I do think four years should be enough to prove it.
------------
Do u think the rams oc will be fired

Been wrong before. But I don't think so.
--------
Mike Glennon - Tell the Rams to please trade for me!!!

And you would be an upgrade?
--------
What do you this the solution is to the Rams inconsistency issues... they seemed to play much better against good teams like the Bronces and Seattle and yet laid a big fat egg against Minnesota and NY Giants. And Sceond, why did it seem the Rams were dominated in the second half of evey game... it that poor coaching or poor conditioning or something else?

You would hope some of that would come with experience. And it's getting to the point where many of the young players should now have enough experience to be ready on a game-in, game-out basis. And no what it takes to do so.
--------
I am with everyone on bringing back Bradford at a discounted price and drafting OL in the first two round and a QB in the third round but given the dispute between Cam Newton and his office in the midseason, is there any chance that the Rams office looks into Newton via trade? Perhaps our first round pick and RB Stacy? Newton is young, he is mobile and has a good arm.

Yeah, I like Newton. I think it would take more than a first-rounder and Stacy. And Newton does have the Carolina Panthers in the playoffs (albeit at 7-8-1). But can't see that happening.
---------
its time to start to talk about fa/draft.... you think this year snead/fisher put more attention on offense

If you mean in terms of personnel acquisitions, they've paid plenty of attention to offense in free agency and the draft. Greg Robinson, Tavon Austin, Brian Quick, Stedman Bailey, Jared Cook, Scott Wells.
--------
It seems that some players (cough, cough, Janoris Jenkins, cough) repeatedly make the same or similar errors. Is this a case of poor coaching or a player not being coachable?

Myself, I think it's more on the player. I don't think you're coached to leave your assignment, wander elsewhere, with the result being a huge play for the opposition in what was a tie game.
---------
Jenoris Jenkins has had coverage problems all year - his he has talent - will demoting him get his attention, if so do the Rams trust their current level of DB's enough or would they take use a the first round to find another starter

I think the Rams like who they have. Myself, I'm not sure about corner.
----------
Another year of mediocrity in the books! Just wondering about free agency before we go draft crazy. Who out of Barksdale, Britt, Kendricks, A Carrington, D Joseph, S Hill (free agents) do you expect back next year? and who out Bradford, Jake Long, K Langford, Scott Wells (mediocre with huge salaries) do you expect back next year?

I'd say the Rams want to keep Barksdale, Britt, and Kendricks, as well.as Hill. That doesn't mean they will all be back. They could get better offers elsewhere.
----------
I know it's early, but what position do you see the Rams addressing with the #10 overall pick in the draft or can we expect a trade-down to secure more picks? Also, what do you think of Alex Bayer's opportunities to make more of a contribution in 2015, especially if Kendricks leaves as a free agent?

If I had to pick now, I'd say offensive line.
----------
Jim when do you think we will now about Bradford and his contract for next year. A lot is riding on a reworked contract being hammered out

It's not going to happen overnight. There's no roster bonus or looming deadline, so there's no pressure to get something done quickly. I could see this lingering for a couple of months.
----------
I really agree with Gordos article stating that it seems Fish does not stress paying attention detail. Do you agree? I am self employed and that is my biggest job task-paying attn to details for success.

Fisher constantly talks about minimizing mistakes, and doing the little things right. Apparently it's not sinking in.
---------
It is easy to justify the record without a viable starting quarterback. If it weren't for that and a penchant to play stupid at times, this team might well be looking forward to the playoffs. As a seasoned backup, I think Hill made enough bonehead plays that they should look elsewhere for a backup next year. Your take?

I still like Hill as a backup.
--------
If healthy and it's a big if what kind of qb do you think sam is?

I think a healthy Bradford can be a good to very good QB. Maybe not a franchise QB.
----------
It was painfully obvious that the offense was severly behind the defense this year. People like Arians did more with less. Is Shottey on hot seat? Fisher seemed agitated in his latest presser.

Don't think Schotty is on the hot seat. For the most part Arizona got off to its hot start with Palmer at QB, they didn't do all that much with Stanton and Lindley at QB, did they?
---------
Thoughts of replacing Schotty and bringing back Mike Martz?

I can't see Mike Martz coaching here again.
----------
Jim do you think Austin Davis will be on the roster for 2015

Wouldn't be surprised at all if he came into training camp and the preseason. After that, all bets are off.
---------
Seems like every game JJ plays soft and gets burned, either being beaten by his man or dropping coverage. I was amazed by the cushion given the Seahawks receivers and if it weren't for a pass rush, they would have been picked apart had Wilson more time. Please tell me that the Rams coaches will fix him over the off season and preseason next year.

Jenkins is playing off coverage because that's where he's assigned to play on that particular play.
-----------
The Rams didn't run well this season. Do you think they never commit to the run because of the O line was not good enough?Last year they run better having Saffold as right guard next to Barksdale and Saffold look better too on the right side. Where do you see Saffold playing next year right or left?

The injury to Jake Long forced the Rams to move Saffold to left guard. (Because veteran Davin Joseph is only a right guard.) I think the Rams would rather have Saffold at right guard.
---------
How hot do you think Fishers seat will be with another poor start to the season next year? After all this continual bone head plays and same mistakes being made over and over again falls right at the coaches feet along with no real back up plan for a fragile QB

Pretty hot.
----------
Bradford is brittle, so you are basically on borrowed time and Hill is then the #2. What Fisher is saying to fans is "rather than find a permanent solution I will opt for hoping Bradford stays health or else it is 2014 all over again."

I think you can assume that only if there isn't another QB added to the mix.
-----------
Do the Rams think that Kenny Britt is an important player to bring back at a premium price?

They want him back. But I don't think 48 catches for 748 qualifies for a premium paycheck.
-----------
Does a healthy Bradford turn 2014 Rams from 6-10 to 10-6? They win Dallas, AZ @home, SD and Minn, but @SF was a pretty lucky win, so maybe 9-7 even with a healthy Sam. Is that reason to celebrate?

Possibly. I think they win two to three more for sure. After 11 straight non-losing seasons, yeah I think 9-7 would be reason to celebrate.
----------
Any chance the Rams would be interested in trading for Jay Cutler? I remember reading that Fisher was high on him when he was coming out of college.

I would think the Rams would at least look into it. As for Fisher's interest in Cutler, that as nearly a decade ago.
----------
Jim, from your perspective, why is it that the Rams always seemed to have difficulty scoring on offense in the second half? Is there not a trend or am I missing something?

One of the great mysteries of the offense in 2014. Is it a matter of adjustments, or simply a case of the talent level of the opposing team gradually taking over.
---------
Fisher IMO was unwilling to look to the future by not playing Barnes and Jones on the O-line the last two games. Also, looking back, was Hill (no upside) any better than Davis (potential upside)?

Although the turnovers by Hill closed the gap, he still made fewer mistakes than Davis.
----------
Thanks for the response on Martz. What's the issue now between the Rams and Martz? Is the dislike mutual? Do Martz and Kroenke/Demoff don't get along? Just trying to learn more about where the bad blood is.

Well, for one. It was a messy divorce. For another, Martz has proven to be high-maintenance. And lastly, we all know that Martz leans heavily to the pass, which would be a 180-change for Fisher. So I don't necessarily view that as bad blood, just not a good fit.
----------
Whats with Jenkins? Is there anyway the coaches can teach him to be less aggressive? I really would like to see us pick up a corner in free agency, to sure up that side of the defense.

Still lacks discipline and consistency. I'm sure the coaching staff had hoped that would've changed by now. But it seems his faulty tendencies are as bad as ever.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Fisher made a point of mentioning this during his presser yesterday and I think it needs to be repeated here...

Jenkins will be playing in the Pro Bowl in a few weeks.

Jack Rabbit doesn't get enough love.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Fisher made a point of mentioning this during his presser yesterday and I think it needs to be repeated here...

I think Jenkins has too many mental lapses, and needs to clean that up... But I agree; he gets a little too much mis-directed heat - sorta like Cook getting heat for drops.

Both players aren't perfect, but both players are among the least of our problems. Too often we only remember the negative.

fearsomefour

Legend
"Jim, from your perspective, why is it that the Rams always seemed to have difficulty scoring on offense in the second half? Is there not a trend or am I missing something?

One of the great mysteries of the offense in 2014. Is it a matter of adjustments, or simply a case of the talent level of the opposing team gradually taking over."

Good question. A mix of both?

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW

I personally thought he greatly improved his tackling and overall play. He does seem to get those 2-3 plays a year that he gets burned on. It's unfortunate that sometimes a few bad plays seem to outweigh the overall body of work. Plus, how many of those big plays were from a busted coverage where he thought he had safety help?

JJ can improve but he's far from our biggest problem.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Our oline always regressed in the second half. I'm sure Wells and Saffold playing with 2 healthy arms between them, had much to with that.
I can't recall many second halves, where the qb wasn't running for his life

Alan

Legend
"Jim, from your perspective, why is it that the Rams always seemed to have difficulty scoring on offense in the second half? Is there not a trend or am I missing something?

One of the great mysteries of the offense in 2014. Is it a matter of adjustments, or simply a case of the talent level of the opposing team gradually taking over."
Whether or not you think the first part is the reason or not, the second part makes no sense to me. If he said it was because of a lack of conditioning it would at least make some kind of sense even if it wasn't true. That's a head scratcher for me.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
9-7 won't cut it for me. After four years, I expect more than that. A lot more.
What if 9-7 gets them in the playoffs next year? Still not good enough for you? Not being a smart ass, I really want to know.

V3

Hall of Fame
What if 9-7 gets them in the playoffs next year? Still not good enough for you? Not being a smart ass, I really want to know.
Nope. 9-7 is mediocre and it's the fourth season. Seattle won the SB in the fourth season of their rebuild and had 11 wins the year before. If you're going to tell me they end up winning the SB or at least win some playoffs games, I'd change my mind but I don't see 9-7 teams doing that very often.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Does a healthy Bradford turn 2014 Rams from 6-10 to 10-6? They win Dallas, AZ @home, SD and Minn, but @SF was a pretty lucky win, so maybe 9-7 even with a healthy Sam. Is that reason to celebrate?
I'm tired of this. The Rams lost 2 TDs in that game, directly due to the zebras. There wouldn't have been a goal line stand at all if the zebras hadn't screwed with the Rams, again.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Nope. 9-7 is mediocre and it's the fourth season. Seattle won the SB in the fourth season of their rebuild and had 11 wins the year before. If you're going to tell me they end up winning the SB or at least win some playoffs games, I'd change my mind but I don't see 9-7 teams doing that very often.

The process has not been parallel. If we had our starting QB playing every game, we'd most certainly be in the same ballpark.

We all know that JT is really conservative most of the time, and this is no exception.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
The process has not been parallel. If we had our starting QB playing every game, we'd most certainly be in the same ballpark.

We all know that JT is really conservative most of the time, and this is no exception.
Thank you, I was thinking the same thing.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
I have seen 9-7 playoff teams win playoff games. Hell, we've all seen the 7-9 Seahawks win a playoff game. Btw 8-8 would be mediocre, not 9-7. I wouldn't be upset with a playoff appearance and 9-7 record next year. I expect better, but after being below .500 for so long and missing out on the playoffs for so many consecutive years I'm guessing not too many people will be mad at 9-7 and a playoff appearance.

V3

Hall of Fame

That's where we disagree. I don't think Bradford is in the same ballpark as Wilson. Not even close. I also don't think he'll last an entire season.

Athos

Legend
That's where we disagree. I don't think Bradford is in the same ballpark as Wilson. Not even close. I also don't think he'll last an entire season.

Disagree vehemently. Sam is far more talented at QB. The only thing Wilson has is running. And throwing on the run, which is basically all he does. Wilson is good, but he's dreadful when he has to stay in the pocket.

V3

Hall of Fame
Disagree vehemently. Sam is far more talented at QB. The only thing Wilson has is running. And throwing on the run, which is basically all he does. Wilson is good, but he's dreadful when he has to stay in the pocket.
I would have agreed at the start of last season but Wilson has improved a lot on his passing in the pocket. He's just as accurate, mobile, durable, understands reads better, goes through progressions better, has better pocket presence, and knows what a pump fake is. It's not even close, IMO. Even if Bradford were durable, I doubt many people outside of St. Louis would take Bradford over Wilson.

Athos

Legend
Even if Bradford were durable, I doubt many people outside of St. Louis would take Bradford over Wilson.

All things the same health wise (Sam never tearing an ACL) I disagree. Especially when it comes to pricey, long term contracts. If Wilson's legs go at any point, he's screwed.

Though honestly, it's impossible to tell, because I believe Bradford was poised for a breakout year, but we'll never know now.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Then explain why Seattle's passing offense is ranked TWENTY-SEVENTH in the league! ( and 32nd in attempts) Russell Wilson gets an awful lot of credit for being a mediocre passer. He is a tremendous athlete and makes good decisions overall. But let's not pretend that they put the game on his shoulders very often. His feet maybe, but NOT is throwing arm.

Last edited: