Rams chat with Jim Thomas: 12/15/15

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Why is Jeff Garcia not filling this gap? Yeah, I know it's not his job but why not?
This^ has always confused me. Why Hire a QB to be a WR Coach!?!
Bring in someone Like BRUCE!! Or HOLT!! Garcia as a WR Coach!!!!!?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There are a lot of things to consider though. Yes it's relatively easy to develop an offense to utilize his strengths, but it's not a temporary solution like you suggested. If you go to the lengths and labors to develop an offense tailored to one player, then you need that one player to be able to run it. What happens if he gets injured or just plain sucks? Now you need a backup QB of equal or similar skill set to keep the offense on track. You can't go from zone-read with Kaepernick to zone-read with, say, Sean Mannion. And if you remove the zone read elements from it to accommodate a different QB (like Mannion) who isn't capable of running zone-read as effectively, how much does that put on the offensive line and receivers? They essentially have to know two offenses. Or, alternatively, you have a very scaled back offense after you strip all the zone-read out of it.

See what I'm saying? It's not a good plan if you change the offense for the QB, RB, line and receivers, but don't plan on keeping that QB for very long or even know that he'll be productive in it. You'd have to have a couple of QBs who can run it if you're going to go in that direction. It's kind of a big deal to move in that direction, or all NFL coordinators would have a backup plan like that. Our offense isn't working? Well crap -- let's just do some zone-read and get Kaepernick or someone who's done that before and see if that works. If it doesn't, we can go back to what we were doing before. I mean, does that ever happen?

Disagree.

The Broncos went from Kyle Orton to Tebow. You can run a normal offensive scheme but just add in zone read, boot-legs, etc. to use Kaepernick's mobility. And if he is injured or benched, you simply don't utilize those same plays. You expand the offense in different ways.

This is the NFL. You don't have to build a one-dimensional offense. The Redskins managed to get strong play out of both RGIII and Kirk Cousins in their rookie seasons. You don't need a gimmick system. Just a system that incorporates Kaepernick's legs.

I think some of y'all have the misconception that I am demanding a college offense. I'm not. We can run literally the same system we run this year...but with more shotgun running using the read option, more QB sprints/boot-legs, and some designed QB runs...especially on the plays where Austin goes in motion and the ball either goes to him or Gurley.

It's as simple as adding in a few new plays to an already established system. Not completely inventing a new offense.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This^ has always confused me. Why Hire a QB to be a WR Coach!?!
Bring in someone Like BRUCE!! Or HOLT!! Garcia as a WR Coach!!!!!?

Because QBs tend to have a more comprehensive knowledge of offenses as a whole. Plus, Garcia isn't the WR Coach. He's assisting Sherman with the WRs. Bruce and Holt may not want to coach full time. Holt already has a full time job.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Disagree.

The Broncos went from Kyle Orton to Tebow. You can run a normal offensive scheme but just add in zone read, boot-legs, etc. to use Kaepernick's mobility. And if he is injured or benched, you simply don't utilize those same plays. You expand the offense in different ways.

This is the NFL. You don't have to build a one-dimensional offense. The Redskins managed to get strong play out of both RGIII and Kirk Cousins in their rookie seasons. You don't need a gimmick system. Just a system that incorporates Kaepernick's legs.

I think some of y'all have the misconception that I am demanding a college offense. I'm not. We can run literally the same system we run this year...but with more shotgun running using the read option, more QB sprints/boot-legs, and some designed QB runs...especially on the plays where Austin goes in motion and the ball either goes to him or Gurley.

It's as simple as adding in a few new plays to an already established system. Not completely inventing a new offense.
Okay. I think I did misunderstand what you were envisioning.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Okay. I think I did misunderstand what you were envisioning.

Great! Does it sound like a more rational plan now? :)

Obviously, the system will change some if Mannion or another pocket passer is put in. You can open up the passing attack a bit more and you don't run the running plays designed for Kaepernick.(as I think it's smart to dumb down the passing attack some for Kaepernick) But you can still run the same system...just with small tweaks for each QB. Hell, the Rams are doing that now with Keenum and Foles as they try to get Keenum on the move more often than Foles.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Great! Does it sound like a more rational plan now? :)

Obviously, the system will change some if Mannion or another pocket passer is put in. You can open up the passing attack a bit more and you don't run the running plays designed for Kaepernick.(as I think it's smart to dumb down the passing attack some for Kaepernick) But you can still run the same system...just with small tweaks for each QB. Hell, the Rams are doing that now with Keenum and Foles as they try to get Keenum on the move more often than Foles.
Yeah, I said in a different thread that I think it could work if they add some zone read to the playbook. It will require some additional work for RBs, the line, and the receivers in terms of blocking, but that shouldn't be too terribly hard to accomplish. And you're right that we're probably the best equipped to take on that challenge, but man ... I'm just not sold on him as a passer. He can get downright ugly back there at times.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, I said in a different thread that I think it could work if they add some zone read to the playbook. It will require some additional work for RBs, the line, and the receivers in terms of blocking, but that shouldn't be too terribly hard to accomplish. And you're right that we're probably the best equipped to take on that challenge, but man ... I'm just not sold on him as a passer. He can get downright ugly back there at times.

That's true. It can get ugly. But I think if you can keep him in his element, our rush offense will do enough to simplify his looks and allow him to use that incredible arm of his.

He's just not a great QB from the mental side of things. Which is why I don't see him as a long-term option. Awesome arm talent but he'll have to lean on the rushing attack and his mobility.

Like I said, not ideal but it's better than our current options. And it gives you time to develop a QB instead of throwing him into the fire next year.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I can't believe I'm about to write this; but I'm thinking Kaepernick could be a 50/50 possibility. It just seems to make sense.
My wife's family is mostly in Reno where Kap played his college ball. They are almost all whiner fans except for one Rams fan. We would have such a blast taunting them if Kap ended up in horns. The time before last when we were there (over a year ago), I put a bunch of Rams paraphernalia in places at my wife's cousin's house. He has Whiner crap everywhere. Just the other day he found the Rams banner he was unwittingly displaying for his entire neighborhood. Apparently his neighbor didn't want to bring it up this whole time but finally had to ask. :ROFLMAO:

But as to Kap playing for the Rams..... If Fish stays, is he Jeff's new McNair to go with Gurley as his improved George?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
He's just not a great QB from the mental side of things. Which is why I don't see him as a long-term option. Awesome arm talent but he'll have to lean on the rushing attack and his mobility.
This is where I got hung up the first time. You don't see it as a long-term option, but do you see the switch to a zone-read offense as a long-term option? Because I really don't understand trying to make a switch for one player, for the short-term, unless you think we have a window of opportunity that he can help us get through.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is where I got hung up the first time. You don't see it as a long-term option, but do you see the switch to a zone-read offense as a long-term option? Because I really don't understand trying to make a switch for one player, for the short-term, unless you think we have a window of opportunity that he can help us get through.

Nah. Short-term. I'd grab the best QB I could in the draft and work towards developing them to play as quickly as I could. Best not to have a limited QB back there for too long.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I have my thoughts on a plan to revamp our Offence. But I want to wait until seasons end to talk about it. things can change in by seasons end!
Mistakes have been made, but they are correctable!! Some are being corrected as we speak!! As I see it! JMHO!!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Because QBs tend to have a more comprehensive knowledge of offenses as a whole. Plus, Garcia isn't the WR Coach. He's assisting Sherman with the WRs. Bruce and Holt may not want to coach full time. Holt already has a full time job.
I was under the impression Garcia was signed as "The WR Coach!!?!" Am I wrong!!!!?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was under the impression Garcia was signed as "The WR Coach!!?!" Am I wrong!!!!?

Nah. Sherman is the WR Coach. Garcia is an offensive assistant that works with the WRs.