Rams chat with Jim Thomas: 12/15/15

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
These are selected questions and answers only. To read the whole chat click the link below.
http://sports.live.stltoday.com/Event/Rams_chat_with_Jim_Thomas_37792d1ca74c?Page=0

Rams chat with Jim Thomas: 12/15/15

Looking ahead to the Rams FA, it seems to me, Trumaine Johnson has taken his game to another level this year and they need to sign him and Janoris Jenkins, and in that order, however I think JJ is going wherever the money is, do you think any chance the Rams slap the franchise tag on Jenkins? That’s two shut down corners in my opinion. Now, if we can only find a decent QB….a left tackle…No. 1 wide out…

Jenkins has had a good year, but the 2015 franchise tag number was $13 million. I don't think he's worth that much. But there's no doubt to me that the Rams need to re-sign at least one of those two corners.
------
What is your opinion on how #47 and #31 performed on Sunday? I thought that they were pretty capable fill ins for TJ and JJ. Also, do you think TJ is a bit reckless at times? i.e, taking out his own team mates-JJ, and EJ last season vs. the Giants.

Roberson had some tough moments against Taint, but was competitive. He has some potential as a cover corner but needs to tackle better. I thought Alexander was pretty solid. I don't know if I'd call McDonald reckless. He gets after it. And if Jenkins just tries to break up the pass and doesn't go for the INT, he doesn't get hurt and its not a touchdown.
--------
All jokes aside, that was a great performance by the Rams. Great running the ball, started off slow, but it ramped up as the game wore on. Tru J. did great job on CJ81. If the Rams could get this game, week in and week out, CONSISTENCY, we'd be a true 10-6 team playoffs bound almost every year! Here is to 3 straight wins to close out year and finish 8-8! #BeatTampaBay

One of the best things about the game was few mistakes. Only one turnover _ a harmless INT with 13 seconds left in the half. Only five accepted penalties (although one did wipe out a touchdown). But some of the same problems are still there. For example, the Rams had only 124 yards passing. You can't survive that way in the NFL. The Rams ran only 52 plays. Detroit had the ball 7-plus minutes longer.
--------
What is your thoughts on OL?

A pretty good game. It helps having Garrett Reynolds over on Robinson's side. I think this current unit with Wichmann at RG is starting to jell a little bit.
--------
There is a lot to like about the Rams talent base. A good HC candidate should be intrigued about coaching the team. How about Asshole Face? There are rumblings that he might leave the Saints; and he has a relationship with Greg Williams. Keep Williams to run the D and let Payton rebuild the offense. What do you think... Bountygate withstanding?

If Payton took another job, I think he'd want to go to a place with a better quarterback situation. Also, I don't think Gregg Williams is on Payton's Christmas card list after Bountygate.
--------
Can you tell us what it's like for the players to play on Thursday night so soon after a Sunday game ?

I can only imagine. A lot of times, players don't feel physically right until the middle of the week. Well, this game is being played basically in the middle of the week. I would think this late in the year, with the normal wear and tear of the season, it would be even tougher.
--------
How do they feel about dressing like canaries?

I've only asked about 3 or 4 players so far. They all seem to like the Color Rush uniforms.
--------
I get it about bringing along a rookie QB slowly, but couldn't they promote Mannion to 2nd string (ahead of Foles) and at least get him some practice reps? Wouldn't they like to know if he can be our future QB? How else can they find out?

I don't think you're going to 'find out" on Mannion by having him be the second-team QB for 3 games.
-------
Trumaine should have gotten more credit for holding down Megatron!

I thought he got a lot of credit. Joe Lyons wrote an entire story on it for Monday's paper.
--------
If Case started they season, I know we would be in the playoff hunt. You?

I'm not going to go that far after one victory.
--------
Why not play Barron at strong safety while McDonald is out? Do we have enough LB depth to do that?

Not really.
--------
What are the chances we keep both JJ and Trumaine J this year - looks to me like JJ will go unless Rams cough up top tier money - they might get better value from keeping Trumaine? Do you agree?

I think you're right. Jonson would come "cheaper" _ and I use that term loosely.
---------
How come no mention of the "Mountaineer" punt return attempt? Looks like they had the right play called, but Chase dropped the ball. I see him as more of a liability these days on Special Teams. What do you think?

I guess because it didn't work. It was Cody Davis who muffed the punt. Not Chase Reynolds.
--------
Can Robinson move to Guard? And we can look for a Tackle in FA?

I think that's always possible. But I don't think the Rams are contemplating that switch.
-------
why did the Rams feel they were in a position to gamble on GRob instead of going for the safer option of Matthews? When the need for help now on the O-line was so desperate rolling the dice instead of going for NFL-ready pedigree (and a family connection to Fisher) seems a crazy risk.

They didn't think it was a gamble.
--------
Three questions. (1) Are the Rams going to make a late season effort to win games, and decrease their 2016 draft position? (2) Is there any cure for the Rams' tendency to make mental mistakes and earn themselves penalties such as the one on Tavon Austin's punt return? (3) What is your prediction for the Rams game against Tampa Bay? I'm guessing the Rams eke out a 17 - 16 win.

1.) The Rams will not tank it to improve their draft position. 2.) These penalties seem to be a part of Jeff Fisher football. 3.) I'm leaning towards picking the Rams, but not there yet. . .
--------
do the Rams look to take a quarterback in the draft or look to grab a Daniels or Mettenburger from another team, your thoughts

To be determined. if you think Mannion is the future, maybe you bring in a Daniel, etc.
-------
Who is the best Ram to interview?

As has been almost always the case, it's a good locker room. My personal favorite, William Hayes.
--------
Keenum said something I hadn’t considered. He said because the Rams have such a great defense that he is not forced to make riskier throws downfield if they are not there, instead use the punter and play a field position battle. I always want the team to be going for scores and first downs every series and I lose site of the bigger game picture. Are Keenum’s statements a reflection of the coaching philosophy?

To a degree, yes.
--------
I'd like to see the Rams get a big receiver, not tall but big and tall. We need to get receivers/TE so we can line up 4-wide, throw deep more, get people open. I don't think our receiver sets are really conducive for a good passing game.

You mean, like Brian Quick?
---------
Can you see Barron keeping that OLB stop next year? Only if we sign him.

That's an interesting question. But Barron would have to be a weakside LB, and that job goes to Ogletree when he returns.
--------
Any idea how long Keenum is signed for? i believe he is paid league minimum.

He's making $585K, which is the league minimum for a player at his experience level.
--------
Watching from TV, it looks like the stands are only 1/3 filled. Is it really that bad in person?

No. I'd say they had maybe 35,000 to 40,000 in stands last game.
--------
will the Tampa bay bucs be wearing special color rush uniforms on Thursday also.

Yes. Theirs are red.

cdf615d1-a205-4c39-932f-f1591215eb98_500.jpg

--------
Are Rams' fans truly a little different, or are the other 20 losing teams' fans writing to their guy, looking for hope too?

I think it's pretty much the same all over.
--------
What happened to Foles? His inability to complete passes was mind boggling since he had a good reputation before and played well earlier in the season. He took a viscous, viscous hit in the sternum one game and from that point onward his performance went down. Good guy, just wondered if you had thoughts on what changed?

Very interesting thoughts. he certainly was never the same after the Green Bay game, when he took lots of hits. It looks to me like his confidence is way down. But it is a mystery. I wasn't expecting the second coming of Kurt Warner when the Rams made the trade, but I think we were all at least expecting decent QB play.
--------
Is Trumaine Johnson just that good or is Calvin Johnson no longer the HOFer that we thought he'd be? If he's fallen off, what happened?

Chalk it up as a very good day for Trumaine. Also, Detroit didn't seem very committed to getting him the ball. And keep in mind, Calvin was questionable with an ankle injury so he was probably less than 100 percent.
---------
Sorry if this question has been asked already but when and how did Quinn hurt himself? I don't remember a significant injury during his last game.

I don't know if it was any particular game. Sometimes, back injuries just sort of happen. We haven't had a chance to talk to Quinn for a while. Injured players usually _ but not always _ are made off-limits to the media around here. But I'll try to find out.
---------
With the impending free agents in the secondary, and based on the reserves waiting in the wings, who do you think the Rams will realistically resign and who will fill the shoes of those who leave? I guess what I'm saying is, what do you see secondary looking like next year?

I've talked to several Rams FAs in the last couple weeks and they've all said they've heard nothing from the Rams. I would have thought they'd have two or three of those free agents re-signed by now. They have the cap room to do it right now.
--------
It seems that a big difference between Gurley and past backs we have is that last lunge after contact that gets him an extra 2-3 yards. Your Thoughts?

Well, he does have some of that. But Gurley also has great instincts to me that allows him to set up his blocks. He has good acceleration and speed, which I think we'll only see more of next year once he's another year removed from knee surgery.
--------
Is Britt back next year or locked up for one more year?

Britt is under contract in 2016. He gets a $3.6 million base, and is due a $1 million roster bonus.
--------
Which current members of our starting OL do you see as starters for game #1 next year assuming everyone is healthy?

Of the current line. I'd say the only guarantees are G. Robinson and R. Havenstein.
--------
looks like they have a keeper in Marquez. The kid can shake a defender. Hope he gets more playing time.

It has been fun to watch him develop, that's for sure.
--------
How long is Mark Barron under contract.

He's an unrestricted free agent after this season.
--------
What is the status of Ogletree. I assume he is ruled out for the rest of the season. I hope it not more serious than previously expected. Any word on EJ Gaines as well. Are either receiving treatment at Rams Park.

We've seen Ogletree around lately. He's walking around on the practice field, seems to be moving well. He has not officially been ruled out for the season but I think the only reason the Rams put him on IR/DR to begin with was if they had a chance at the playoffs. And we now know that's not happening. As for Gaines, I've been trying to catch up with him but have been unsuccessful so far.
--------
Is Fairley back next year?

He's unrestricted. Can't see the Rams bringing him back for $5 million next year.
--------
What is your opinion on Colin Kapernick or RGIII at QB for the Rams in 2016?

With Gurley and the jet sweep action with Austin, I've got to say, the thought of Kaepernick intrigues me.
--------
How many comments do you get during JTLive? Seems like I never get any answers... SIGH!!

There's upwards of 100 questions on here that I've been unable to answer today and that's after 2 hours of chatting. So I can't get to them all.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I can't believe I'm about to write this; but I'm thinking Kaepernick could be a 50/50 possibility. It just seems to make sense.

Alan

Legend
"Roberson had some tough moments against Taint, but was competitive. He has some potential as a cover corner but needs to tackle better."
Those are the exact same things we talked about after he became a Ram. I thought his tackling was pretty good in his first couple of games but it seems to have reverted back to the norm. His norm. I think he does have some cover skills though. Next year he'll be better if he gets a chance. But with his inability to tackle what does it bring us?

Last edited:

Alan

Legend
"Of the current line. I'd say the only guarantees are G. Robinson and R. Havenstein."
He sees the same thing I see.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
I can't believe I'm about to write this; but I'm thinking Kaepernick could be a 50/50 possibility. It just seems to make sense.

Crazy isn't it. With Foles being so bad though I don't think he could be any worse. He can't pass? Neither can Foles. He can't read a d? You know what I'm going to say.

What he can do is run it and he can launch it deep on occasion.

Interesting scenario but I would really hope it would be a worst case thing if we couldn't actually find a real QB from somewhere.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

One of the most logical moves. If the 49ers let him go, he'll likely be the best QB on the market unless Bradford and Brees are let go. And I can't see the Rams turning back to Bradford unless it'a short term deal and they have plans to draft a QB highly.

But Kaepernick's legs make him a threat and he's a good enough passer to be much more feared than what we have this year. Fisher wants to run the ball and have his QB manage the game well enough to win. Kaepernick fits that philosophy.

But I hope they have a better plan than just Kaepernick. And I'd rather Fisher not be the guy making the call. JMO.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Keenum said something I hadn’t considered. He said because the Rams have such a great defense that he is not forced to make riskier throws downfield if they are not there, instead use the punter and play a field position battle. I always want the team to be going for scores and first downs every series and I lose site of the bigger game picture. Are Keenum’s statements a reflection of the coaching philosophy?

To a degree, yes.

This speaks volumes about why we have had so much trouble on offense during Fisher's reign. It's almost as if the Rams O prioritizes field position and punting over making first downs and scoring. Is it any wonder that the Rams are so bad at scoring and moving the chains?

This is where Fisher needs to change his philosophy. You can still be a power running team, but you must push the ball down the field sometimes, you must take some risks, you must play for more than just field position and relying on your defense. Gawd, I just hate, hate, HATE this kind of thinking with regard to offense. Hate it.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
But Kaepernick's legs make him a threat and he's a good enough passer to be much more feared than what we have this year. Fisher wants to run the ball and have his QB manage the game well enough to win. Kaepernick fits that philosophy.
I dunno, man. If Fisher wants to revamp the offense a little to incorporate a lot of zone read stuff, then I'll agree that he'd be a good fit. Even if they want to move the pocket more and incorporate a lot of roll-outs. But if the plan remains to establish the run game and work off of that with play-action, then Sackorpick won't be a good fit. He's just not that good of a passer to me.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Kaepernick is admitting Rams didn't do a damn thing in the offseason to improve the offense. Just no. Please god, no. I'll take the same QBs with a solid line and a WR.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I just can't wrap my head around routing for Kap. Seeing him in horns wouldn't work for me.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Kaepernick is admitting Rams didn't do a damn thing in the offseason to improve the offense. Just no. Please god, no. I'll take the same QBs with a solid line and a WR.

The same QBs are more flawed as passers without the game-breaking speed and running ability.

At least the Rams would be trying with Kaepernick rather than throwing in the towel by sticking with the worst QBs in the NFL.

But I agree with @-X- Fisher would need to bring in an offensive mind willing to incorporate the read option or he'd need to be willing to let Boras do it. Or in the best case scenario, we bring in Adam Gase and Mike McCoy...

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
What is your opinion on Colin Kapernick or RGIII at QB for the Rams in 2016?

With Gurley and the jet sweep action with Austin, I've got to say, the thought of Kaepernick intrigues me.
Makes my mouth bleed but i agree with JT and i agree that bringing in the media poser Kaepernick is intriguing.

edit: If A.Boldin is attached sign me up like yesterday. He's still got some football left and he could teach our core what it means to be tough.

Last edited:

RamzFanz

Damnit
The same QBs are more flawed as passers without the game-breaking speed and running ability.

At least the Rams would be trying with Kaepernick rather than throwing in the towel by sticking with the worst QBs in the NFL.

But I agree with @-X- Fisher would need to bring in an offensive mind willing to incorporate the read option or he'd need to be willing to let Boras do it. Or in the best case scenario, we bring in Adam Gase and Mike McCoy...

Foles has passing records Kappy can't dream of. Kappy sucks. Kappy = Keenum on a great team. Rams would just pull the same old no QB stunt with Kappy. If he's the answer, the question was how can we suck in a passing game.

RamzFanz

Damnit

Saying such nonsense when Rams have the worst o-line and no WR threat is silly. Rams have 3 possible QBs that all have potential for different reasons WITH an o-line and WR's catching the damn balls that hit them in the damn hands. Is anyone even aware of how many drives we have lost from dropped balls this season?!?

Thinking Kappy will solve anything is just disaster, again.

My god friends, just no. Tell me we know more than to think Kappy is the answer.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Foles has passing records Kappy can't dream of. Kappy sucks. Kappy = Keenum on a great team. Rams would just pull the same old no QB stunt with Kappy. If he's the answer, the question was how can we suck in a passing game.

Who cares? Foles has one season in the NFL where he wasn't mediocre. And I need not explain why that season is completely irrelevant. We've watched him this year, he's awful.

Kaepernick's legs add something of value to this offense. Something that Foles can't add. Not to mention the fact that Kaepernick has 3 solid to good years as a starter and was QBing the 49ers when they made the Super Bowl.

He's not Tom Brady but he can get the job done here. Especially if the Rams are willing to be creative and use his legs. Look at what Tyrod Taylor has managed to accomplish in Buffalo with a team willing to use his mobility.

Kaepernick isn't a great QB. But he doesn't suck. Certainly not like Foles and Keenum suck.

Kaepernick = Keenum? GTFO. Keenum hasn't had one decent season in the NFL and has nowhere near the physical talent that Kaepernick possesses.

Give me a crappy passer with great legs any day of the week over crappy passers with no mobility or mediocre mobility.

Kaepernick's not a long-term answer. But he is a short-term answer. How long can we suck in the passing game? If we make improvements to the OL and WR corp with Kaepernick and actually are willing to use him properly, he can probably offer us something similar to what he offered San Francisco in 2014 in terms of passing stats. And with Todd Gurley at HB and Tavon Austin as our jack of all trades...that's more than enough for our offense to be serviceable and win games with our strong defense.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Saying such nonsense when Rams have the worst o-line and no WR threat is silly. Rams have 3 possible QBs that all have potential for different reasons WITH an o-line and WR's catching the damn balls that hit them in the damn hands. Is anyone even aware of how many drives we have lost from dropped balls this season?!?

Thinking Kappy will solve anything is just disaster, again.

My god friends, just no. Tell me we know more than to think Kappy is the answer.

What's nonsense is blaming the OL for our QB woes when our QBs rank last in almost every meaningful category while our OL has allowed the fewest sacks in the OL and we lead the NFL in average yards per carry.

Of course, those stats are misleading. Our OL hasn't been elite, great, good, or even solid. But they haven't been the worst in the NFL. Our QBs have.

Our QBs have potential. Nope. Not having this argument again with you. Neither Foles nor Keenum have potential to be anything other bad starting QBs. Foles has been bar none the worst starting QB in the NFL this year. He is an anchor that has held the entire offense back this year.

Nope. I don't know more than that. I actually think Kaepernick is a pretty damn good answer in the short-term. Draft a QB, develop him behind Kaepernick for a year or two, and bolster the OL/WR/TE corps. With Kaepernick's legs creating yet another threat to take defensive attention away from Gurley and Kaepernick's proven ability to manage the game when he has a team and coaching staff around him, the Rams will be able to get the job done.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
A trifecta run threat of Gurley, Tavon and Kap would be a pain in the ass to defend. Rams still need an impact threat downfield though. That guy isn't on the roster.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A trifecta run threat of Gurley, Tavon and Kap would be a pain in the ass to defend. Rams still need an impact threat downfield though. That guy isn't on the roster.

Yes and no. I actually think Britt has shown himself to be a pretty good vertical threat this year. And Austin is also capable of getting over the top if he's got a QB to put it out in front of him. I'd say we're more in need of guys that can get open in the short to intermediate range and catch the ball consistently.(and catch it consistently in traffic on 3rd downs)

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
If Kaepernick doesn't run he is useless. He is not an improvement over Foles, in passing. Foles can at least read the entire field.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Yes and no. I actually think Britt has shown himself to be a pretty good vertical threat this year. And Austin is also capable of getting over the top if he's got a QB to put it out in front of him. I'd say we're more in need of guys that can get open in the short to intermediate range and catch the ball consistently.(and catch it consistently in traffic on 3rd downs)
Ehhh, i like Britt as more of a #2 guy who can occasionally draw attention like Tavon. I guess what i'm talking about is a WR who can demand coverage no matter the down & distance, and who has the uncanny ability to fight through jump balls, locate etc....you know? Talented Lol.

To the second part of your post i agree. Maybe Welker has another year left.He's looked sharp in very limited duty. Cook should've been that guy.