Rams CB TruJo talking himself out of LA in '18?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Our very own @Rams43 posted this on the herd board.

Rams corner Trumaine Johnson talking himself out of LA in 2018?

[nflspinzone.com]

by Greg Archuleta19 hours ago
Trumaine Johnson’s exit from the Los Angeles Rams may be imminent if his actions don’t start matching his words.

The Los Angeles Rams have until July 15 to come to an agreement on a long-term deal with fifth-year cornerback Trumaine Johnson. The Montana product will earn $16.74 million after signing his franchise tender in March — the second consecutive year he’s played under the franchise tag. The Rams are trying to negotiate a more cap-friendly salary for Johnson for 2017. That will give them flexibility to sign their top defensive player, tackle Aaron Donald, to a long-term deal.

The longer Rams management has to deal with Johnson, the less certain they are about locking up Donald. For his part, Johnson told ESPN.com that the money aspect takes a back seat to his love for the game and for his fellow Rams. His agent and the team likely will get together after offseason training activities that conclude in June.

The Rams want to evaluate how he’ll fit defensive coordinator Wade Phillips’ scheme.

“My whole thing is, man, I’m just glad I’m playing football,” Johnson said, via ESPN. “If it was about the money for me, I would’ve left somewhere else to get bigger money. I love football, I love my teammates.”

Where that would be, exactly, is unclear. According to Sportrac.com, the Stockton, CA native will be the highest-paid corner in the league in 2017, bettering Josh Norman’s salary by $1.742 million.

In the ESPN piece, Johnson also said, “Overall, you always want a long-term deal. But right now, my focus is here, with these OTAs. We have until July 15, so I’m going to let my agent handle the business side and I’m just going to handle the football side.”

If that were true, however, Johnson would be a New Orleans Saint right now. Prior to the draft, ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported that the Saints were willing to trade a second-round pick to Los Angeles for Johnson, but he refused to agree to a long-term deal because he wanted to stay in L.A.

That love for L.A. has trumped Johnson’s love for his teammates. Johnson needs the Rams to re-sign Donald to apply the pressure to opposing quarterbacks. That will make his job on the back end that much easier.

Johnson already is coming off a down year in which he had just one interception in 14 games. He had seven interceptions in 14 games during the 2015 season while playing alongside fellow cornerback Janoris Jenkins. The Ram did rank 25th among 111 qualified corners, per Pro Football Focus. But that doesn’t qualify him as the top breadwinner of the position for the coming season.

Next: NFL 2017: Quarterback depth chart power rankings
Johnson’s exit after 2017 might be moot if he were to have some more resolute actions behind his words. He should consider giving the Rams a hometown discount to sign Donald and their other defensive priorities.

Otherwise, Johnson’s exit in 2018 is likely a done deal in 2017.

fearsomefour

Legend
Donald or Johnson....um easy choice.
Highest paid CB in the league??
Silliness.
He is a good player and I want the team to keep him but this tag business has treated him well....better than he has played.
I wonder how far apart they are.
The reality is a guy who can dominate at the LOS is always going to be more valuable that a DB. Too easy to scheme away from a DB. While Johnson is good he is not good enough to have teams avoid his side of the field. Get a grip and sign a deal Tru.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Again Johnson is a good corner, but I wish the Rams had ponied up for Jenkins who is one of the best corners in the NFL I don't think I break the bank for Johnson. I truly thought they would draft a CB this year, but they didn't so time for the likes of @jrry32 , @OldSchool , @BonifayRam , @jakebogen95 & others to get to work on who will be available in 2018 for the NFL draft because IMHO the Rams first selection will be Corner Back as they pay Aaron Donald first.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Again Johnson is a good corner, but I wish the Rams had ponied up for Jenkins who is one of the best corners in the NFL I don't think I break the bank for Johnson. I truly thought they would draft a CB this year, but they didn't so time for the likes of @jrry32 , @OldSchool , @BonifayRam , @jakebogen95 & others to get to work on who will be available in 2018 for the NFL draft because IMHO the Rams first selection will be Corner Back as they pay Aaron Donald first.
I'd likely go with an OT with the 1st pick. It's early but there look to be 4 or 5 worth a 1st round pick and if we don't resign GRob then we'll need a LT, keep in mind the class after him is all coming up on their 4th year next year. Also we need a long term replacement for Whitworth who knows how many years we'll get out of him. McGlinchy from Notre Dame, Rankin from Miss St, Williams from Texas, Ivey from Florida and Hyatt from Clemson.

Then again we could also see an EDGE with Barwin signed for 1 year and Quinn's medical back ground. That really depends on how Wade see's the young guys we have on the roster already though.

CB could be the option as 2017 looks like another bumper crop of them in college. Though I'd wager on OT as McVay tries to keep protecting Goff and road grading for TG.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Good morning den, One might look at it this way that using the near $17 million to retain a solid corner so McVay could draft 3 offensive receivers for Goff (2nd, 3rd & 4th round selections) as a true trade off. Costly decision for sure Rams might make do with the boat load of Nickles & 1 solid corner until 2018 draft where Wade can get some relief. New future ongoing problem for Demoff & Snead is when they sign AD to his new record breaking deal signing big $$$ UFA's or our own developed Ram players is going to be very difficult. So relying on low cost draftees & UDFA's will be the norm with a very few high cost veterans sprinkled in.

Problem is even if they sign Trumaine to long term the corners will remain a weak link in this defense. I sure did not like what I saw from Trumaine in 2016 season. Normally talented rookie corners can come in & contribute quickly & pay immediate dividends to help win. Even Fisher drafted well in finding 2 starting rookie corners on the 2nd day of the 2012 draft. One of Fisher's few successes. One would expect that Snead/ McVay & Wade can do what Fisher did?

Last edited:

Zodi

Hall of Fame
The Giants have one of the best secondaries in the league even if you exclude Jackrabbit. I like the dude, but in my opinion neither Jenkins or Johnson are worth star-corner money.

Definitely not worth delaying locking up Donald to a long-term deal.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Our very own @Rams43 posted this on the herd board.

Rams corner Trumaine Johnson talking himself out of LA in 2018?

[nflspinzone.com]

by Greg Archuleta19 hours ago
Trumaine Johnson’s exit from the Los Angeles Rams may be imminent if his actions don’t start matching his words.

The Los Angeles Rams have until July 15 to come to an agreement on a long-term deal with fifth-year cornerback Trumaine Johnson. The Montana product will earn $16.74 million after signing his franchise tender in March — the second consecutive year he’s played under the franchise tag. The Rams are trying to negotiate a more cap-friendly salary for Johnson for 2017. That will give them flexibility to sign their top defensive player, tackle Aaron Donald, to a long-term deal.

The longer Rams management has to deal with Johnson, the less certain they are about locking up Donald. For his part, Johnson told ESPN.com that the money aspect takes a back seat to his love for the game and for his fellow Rams. His agent and the team likely will get together after offseason training activities that conclude in June.

The Rams want to evaluate how he’ll fit defensive coordinator Wade Phillips’ scheme.

“My whole thing is, man, I’m just glad I’m playing football,” Johnson said, via ESPN. “If it was about the money for me, I would’ve left somewhere else to get bigger money. I love football, I love my teammates.”

Where that would be, exactly, is unclear. According to Sportrac.com, the Stockton, CA native will be the highest-paid corner in the league in 2017, bettering Josh Norman’s salary by $1.742 million.

In the ESPN piece, Johnson also said, “Overall, you always want a long-term deal. But right now, my focus is here, with these OTAs. We have until July 15, so I’m going to let my agent handle the business side and I’m just going to handle the football side.”

If that were true, however, Johnson would be a New Orleans Saint right now. Prior to the draft, ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported that the Saints were willing to trade a second-round pick to Los Angeles for Johnson, but he refused to agree to a long-term deal because he wanted to stay in L.A.

That love for L.A. has trumped Johnson’s love for his teammates. Johnson needs the Rams to re-sign Donald to apply the pressure to opposing quarterbacks. That will make his job on the back end that much easier.

Johnson already is coming off a down year in which he had just one interception in 14 games. He had seven interceptions in 14 games during the 2015 season while playing alongside fellow cornerback Janoris Jenkins. The Ram did rank 25th among 111 qualified corners, per Pro Football Focus. But that doesn’t qualify him as the top breadwinner of the position for the coming season.

Next: NFL 2017: Quarterback depth chart power rankings
Johnson’s exit after 2017 might be moot if he were to have some more resolute actions behind his words. He should consider giving the Rams a hometown discount to sign Donald and their other defensive priorities.

Otherwise, Johnson’s exit in 2018 is likely a done deal in 2017.
Like the man says, IF Johnson Loves the Rams, His Team mate's, and Football so much, he needs to tell his Manager's to get with the program, and make a Deal NOW!! JMHO!

Ram65

Legend

I must have missed that report. A trade would have been a way out of this mess. You have to wonder how much Johnson wants and what the Rams are willing to offer long term if anything. If the Rams want him it would have to be a reasonable deal. It may be best to let him walk next year.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I'd likely go with an OT with the 1st pick. It's early but there look to be 4 or 5 worth a 1st round pick and if we don't resign GRob then we'll need a LT, keep in mind the class after him is all coming up on their 4th year next year. Also we need a long term replacement for Whitworth who knows how many years we'll get out of him. McGlinchy from Notre Dame, Rankin from Miss St, Williams from Texas, Ivey from Florida and Hyatt from Clemson.

Then again we could also see an EDGE with Barwin signed for 1 year and Quinn's medical back ground. That really depends on how Wade see's the young guys we have on the roster already though.

CB could be the option as 2017 looks like another bumper crop of them in college. Though I'd wager on OT as McVay tries to keep protecting Goff and road grading for TG.
I would agree with you that the need is very high to find a future blind side protector for Goff is ongoing right at this minute. Having a 36 yr old starting LT in 2018 is not too comforting.

After two very big bust trying to get a LT through the draft using a ultra high first round selection I would not repeat those mistakes again....period. Developing young proficient Left Tackles coming out from college takes 3 to 4 yrs & that's if your lucky by that time the rookie contract has expired & your buying your own LT on the open market again for your LT. GRob never succeeded & was shipped off to another post. I would look to the 2nd day of the draft to resolve the future LT issues.

I like the plan of finding future starting 34 D outside LB'ers/ edge rushers to replace Barwin/Quinn later in the draft where it seriously less expensive & true value can be harvested. Its a proven plan that has worked for most all 34 defenses for decades

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
If the Rams want him it would have to be a reasonable deal. It may be best to let him walk next year.

Agreed and just take the compensatory selection and move on.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would agree with you that the need is very high to find a future blind side protector for Goff is ongoing right at this minute. Having a 36 yr old starting LT in 2018 is not too comforting.

After two very big bust trying to get a LT through the draft using a ultra high first round selection I would not repeat those mistakes again....period. Developing young proficient Left Tackles coming out from college takes 3 to 4 yrs & that's if your lucky by that time the rookie contract has expired & your buying your own LT on the open market again for your LT. GRob never succeeded & was shipped off to another post. I would look to the 2nd day of the draft to resolve the future LT issues.

I like the plan of finding future starting 34 D outside LB'ers/ edge rushers to replace Barwin/Quinn later in the draft where it seriously less expensive & true value can be harvested. Its a proven plan that has worked for most all 34 defenses for decades
One of the worst things a front office can do IMO is worry about the failures of their predecessors. Fisher drafted bad on offense we know this it's indisputable. McVay and Kromer have a clean slate if they see a LT and he's there for us in the 1st and he's the BPA at a position of need especially one as important as LT they take it period! :) BTW in case you weren't watching they cut the two young OT they had signed as UDFA. The only people listed on the roster as OT right now are Whitworth, Donnal, Murphy and Williams. Sorry but I don't see a long term solution there unless Kromer is even better than I already think he is. If one of the OT I listed before is there for us next year at this point in time my opinion is you take it and don't even think twice about it.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
One of the worst things a front office can do IMO is worry about the failures of their predecessors. Fisher drafted bad on offense we know this it's indisputable. McVay and Kromer have a clean slate if they see a LT and he's there for us in the 1st and he's the BPA at a position of need especially one as important as LT they take it period! :) BTW in case you weren't watching they cut the two young OT they had signed as UDFA. The only people listed on the roster as OT right now are Whitworth, Donnal, Murphy and Williams. Sorry but I don't see a long term solution there unless Kromer is even better than I already think he is. If one of the OT I listed before is there for us next year at this point in time my opinion is you take it and don't even think twice about it.
In my 62 yrs in this world if you do not learn from your history of your mistakes, your prone to continue to make them;). I am done with advocating the Rams draft OL'ers coming out of college today with a high to mid first round selections.

OldSchool I would not disagree with you on the concern of the future prospects @ LT. When I look at the LT candidates currently on the roster I see 6 in Whitworth, Saffold, Robinson, Murphy, Williams & Donnal. It a good chance that either Darrell Williams or Pace Murphy will not make the 53 player roster when the season opens. But they could end up on the PS. Only 1 of these will drop off in 2018 that's Robinson, who will hit the open FA market. I don't see a young legit future starting LT on this roster, so we need 1 or 2 next season. I would sure use the draft in an attempt to discover a future starting LT for Goff, if possible.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I never believed the rumor that New Orleans was willing to trade a 2nd rounder for him but it actually is the only explanation for TJ statement that he could have went elsewhere for more money. But I imagine by "more money" it meant comparing total dollars to what he is making this year

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In my 62 yrs in this world if you do not learn from your history of your mistakes, your prone to continue to make them;). I am done with advocating the Rams draft OL'ers coming out of college today with a high to mid first round selections.

haha Never said don't learn from others mistakes. But don't be afraid of drafting somebody because they play a position that has failed in the past. Hell you'd never use a draft pick if you worried about past failures.

tempests

Hall of Fame

Nonsense. He's no more obligated to give the Rams a "hometown discount" than Donald is.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Nonsense. He's no more obligated to give the Rams a "hometown discount" than Donald is.

Well, he turned a contract with the Saints because he loves Los Angeles and Johnson needs to understand they have to sign Donald too. So, not a huge discount, but maybe a little.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
The fact that a deal wasn't done last year and one still isn't done today is an decent indicator that he won't be back next year.
I'm with @den-the-coach. Next year's cb class should net his replacement.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Giants have one of the best secondaries in the league even if you exclude Jackrabbit. I like the dude, but in my opinion neither Jenkins or Johnson are worth star-corner money.

Definitely not worth delaying locking up Donald to a long-term deal.
I disagree Jenkins is their best cover corner they have DRC and Apple the rookie, Jenkins was the one shutting down Dez in every game shut down Brandon Cooks and made Rodgers stop throwing to him after two picks. And to be honest the Giants got a damn steal with Jenkins contract that's what makes this situation so frustrating