Rams' Case Keenum was "seeing ghosts" in season-opening flop

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams' Case Keenum was "seeing ghosts" in season-opening flop

GREG BEACHAM (AP Sports Writer)•Sep 15, 2016, 1:04 PM

View photos
Los Angeles Rams quarterback Case Keenum (17) is tackled by San Francisco 49ers linebacker NaVorro Bowman (53) during the second half of an NFL football game in Santa Clara, Calif., Monday, Sept. 12, 2016. The 49ers won 28-0. (AP Photo/Marcio Jose Sanchez)
THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. (AP) -- Case Keenum waited five years to begin an NFL season as a starting quarterback. When he finally got the chance with the Los Angeles Rams, his first start was haunting.

''I think that I was seeing ghosts,'' Keenum said Wednesday. ''I was seeing things that weren't there. I wasn't trusting myself and my abilities. I tried too hard.''

And now Keenum's job status is increasingly tenuous after just one week.

The Rams can't wait much longer to cure the profound offensive ineptitude of their opening 28-0 loss to San Francisco. Their official homecoming game against the Seattle Seahawks looms Sunday, and Keenum likely must improve sharply and quickly to persuade the Rams not to play No. 1 pick Jared Goff immediately.

Keenum's 17-for-35 performance for 130 yards and two interceptions was just one faulty part of a creaky Los Angeles offense that produced 10 punts and a turnover on downs.

With the 49ers loading up their run defense while daring Keenum and his receivers to beat them, the Rams were the only NFL team that couldn't score a point on opening weekend, and they couldn't even get in the red zone. The Rams went 3 for 15 on third downs, with Keenum repeatedly throwing to receivers who weren't far enough downfield to move the sticks.

''Case, he made some plays, and then missed some opportunities,'' coach Jeff Fisher said. ''But every game you watch, quarterbacks are missing opportunities. We have to just make sure we take advantage of those opportunities when they're there.''

Keenum believes the solution to the Rams' problems centers on confidence - specifically his own.

''Just trust what you see and let it fly,'' Keenum said. ''That's what I'm going to do. I'm going to trust ... my protection, my mechanics, my rules, my footwork, and trust what I see. Trust the guys out there.''

Kenny Britt had four catches for 67 yards - more receiving yardage than all of his teammates combined. Even Britt realizes the Rams can't rely on the passing game to win.

''We have to do what we do best: Run the ball and run it well,'' Britt said. ''That will loosen it up on the outside, and we can take a couple of shots downfield and take that eighth man out of the box.''

The results weren't exactly a surprise after the Rams finished 32nd in the NFL in total offense and passing offense last season, and then didn't anything in the offseason beyond rookies Tyler Higbee, who started at tight end, and Goff. Fisher said he still hasn't decided whether Goff will move up to become the backup quarterback Sunday.

Fisher said the Rams' new play-caller, offensive coordinator Rob Boras, emerged from the game frustrated with himself. The Rams continually failed to create running room for Todd Gurley, and that problem is only likely to get worse against Seattle's vaunted defense, which limited Miami to 10 points in its defense-dominated opener.

Gurley didn't participate in the Rams' brief workout Wednesday after carrying the ball 17 times for 47 yards in the opener. The Rams barely used Gurley in the preseason to keep him healthy, but his fresh legs weren't much good against a San Francisco defense that smothered him, particularly between the tackles.

Britt attributed many of the Rams' problems to opening-night jitters. After eight months of uncertainty and moving, the regular season's arrival might have caught the Rams thinking too much instead of playing instinctive football.

''That will change up this week,'' Britt said. ''You realize it's only the first game, and everybody is always overexcited when you come into the first game. You don't want to overthink stuff. You don't want to miss stuff. You don't want to see one thing and then miss the next thing, so I know things will calm down for all of us.''

---

AP NFL website: www.pro32.ap.org and www.twitter.com/AP-NFL

Bruce2980

Starter
I could see it in his eyes the first time he dropped back, he was scared shitless. And it only went down hill from there. So Fishers pre game plan this week is to get him some liquid courage. Tequila with the worm before the game, that should fix his fear of ghostesss.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Going to beat a dead horse here. He was supposed to give this team the best chance to win. But the guy basically admits he acted like a rookie out there. So instead of using this game to develop a talented rookie, we used it to do the same thing with a veteran whose ceiling is that of a backup QB. Disappointing. (n)

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Well this Sunday's game and showing he can not only bounce back from that terrible outing but also beat the Seahawks again, is going to either cement Fisher's faith in him or serve as Keenum's "Waterloo."

It's the biggest game of Case's career. If he doesn't show well on Sunday it's over for him, IMO, because Fisher does not have the kind of security to sit on a 1 overall pick when his chosen vet is falling apart out there on the field.

I do hope he plays well, because I'm a Rams fan first. But yeah, he's running on borrowed time and we're gonna see what kind of fight Case has in him.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well this Sunday's game and showing he can not only bounce back from that terrible outing but also beat the Seahawks again, is going to either cement Fisher's faith in him or serve as Keenum's "Waterloo."

It's the biggest game of Case's career. If he doesn't show well on Sunday it's over for him, IMO, because Fisher does not have the kind of security to sit on a 1 overall pick when his chosen vet is falling apart out there on the field.

I do hope he plays well, because I'm a Rams fan first. But yeah, he's running on borrowed time and we're gonna see what kind of fight Case has in him.

I'm torn. I think playing Goff is best for the Rams, but I don't want us to lose. And I know that Keenum will have to both play poorly and the Rams lose for Fisher to consider yanking him.

Bruce2980

Starter
Going to beat a dead horse here. He was supposed to give this team the best chance to win. But the guy basically admits he acted like a rookie out there. So instead of using this game to develop a talented rookie, we used it to do the same thing with a veteran whose ceiling is that of a backup QB. Disappointing. (n)
Beat it brother, I've got my stick!!!!???

jap

Legend
I don't know if Fish is gonna allow Case to stink it up for another four quarters. Case needs to look competitive early on, or he may well be yanked by halftime. I don't believe the 'Hawks took Case seriously last season when they went down 23-17 in Week Sixteen. After watching the '9ers straitjacket Todd and daring Case to beat them last Monday night, you bet the Seattle D is gonna turn up the pressure on the Express! this weekend.

Everyone is talking about Case and Jared, but I wonder if Sean is gonna be a factor if Case is ineffective again. He knows the playbook more thoroughly than Goff and has a decent arm himself. Thrusting a green Jared into a live game this early in his development may not be worth it . . . unless they seriously dumb things down for him. Maybe all the fly guys need to take turns with all three QBs this short week in practice to familiarize themselves with each QB's passing touch. Maybe even P Johnny Hecker needs to bend over C Tim Barnes' rear end (joking).

We are already 0-1 in our division, which is already one more loss than I wanted. We don't need any stinkin' 0-2 start! Guys hve to catch rocks, and QBs need to air it out to allow Todd room to breath against the 'Hawks' D. We gotta come back from 28-Love loss with a statement game from our O.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
That didn't make good reading at all, didn't like the Britt interview - even our ego filled WR doesn't sound like he has confidence in the passing game and it was horrible reading Keenum's words - our vet sounded like an UDFA thats out of his depth - I didn't realise that we were having to build up his confidence also, the way it reads you may as well put Goff in - even if he's not ready, he's more likely to do a good thing now and then. I said it in another thread, we're going to stick by Keenum and watch him implode like we did Foles.

I'm totally uninspired by this team at the moment but also extremely thankful - I almost bought 4 tickets to go and watch the Rams play against the Giants in Twickenham last week, they were £250 each. I hate the fact that I'm thinking like that!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I don't know if Fish is gonna allow Case to stink it up for another four quarters. Case needs to look competitive early on, or he may well be yanked by halftime. I don't believe the 'Hawks took Case seriously last season when they went down 23-17 in Week Sixteen. After watching the '9ers straitjacket Todd and daring Case to beat them last Monday night, you bet the Seattle D is gonna turn up the pressure on the Express! this weekend.

Everyone is talking about Case and Jared, but I wonder if Sean is gonna be a factor if Case is ineffective again. He knows the playbook more thoroughly than Goff and has a decent arm himself. Thrusting a green Jared into a live game this early in his development may not be worth it . . . unless they seriously dumb things down for him. Maybe all the fly guys need to take turns with all three QBs this short week in practice to familiarize themselves with each QB's passing touch. Maybe even P Johnny Hecker needs to bend over C Tim Barnes' rear end (joking).

We are already 0-1 in our division, which is already one more loss than I wanted. We don't need any stinkin' 0-2 start! Guys hve to catch rocks, and QBs need to air it out to allow Todd room to breath against the 'Hawks' D. We gotta come back from 28-Love loss with a statement game from our O.

Mannion doesn't move well in the pocket. If he is facing a rush like the Niners used in week one, it will be a disaster. Goff needs to start learning. That 10-11 win talk to start the season was unrealistic with the move, a hole at Corner, no proven stud WR added, the toughest schedule in the league, and the most miles to travel in the league. The only reason not to play Goff is to avoid getting him killed. But that just delays his development. If Boras can't figure out how not to tip plays, or the line can't figure out how to block, or Groh can't figure out how to use a short passing game to deter a team loading the box, or veteran receivers can't figure out how to catch the ball...then this team is sunk. And that is a long list.

PA Ram

Pro Bowler
''We have to do what we do best: Run the ball and run it well,'' Britt said. ''That will loosen it up on the outside, and we can take a couple of shots downfield and take that eighth man out of the box.''

Okay--but they're loading eight men to STOP the run. You are demanding a lot of the run game if they're loading eight men and you want THEM to run better to open up the pass. Why can't the team pass on that sort of defense to open up the run? Fisher said something similar to what Britt said. I know the running game is vital--I get that. But every team the Rams play get that too. At some point you gotta be able to pass on that defense effectively. Receivers, quarterback: YOU guys gotta open some things up. YOU gotta make something happen.

Or call these guys:

3a48055a04da3f313ecf7808fa85486bcacab6aed704eaee5f5beecae55be2fd.jpg

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
If I was the QB and I saw that they were stacking the box to stop the freight train that is Gurley, surely you'd call plays that would get the ball thrown OVER the onrushing defenders? You know, its going to have to be a quick ball etc, and our WRs will have to compete for the ball, but you won't get anywhere in trying to run Gurley through a wall of defenders. UNTIL we find a passing game, our run game is going to keep suffering?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

At this point you might be right ?? Maybe he should of put Jarred in as the starter from the being ?? Then decide he is not ready if he wasn't .

That would be a different mind set. Jarred Goff had so much confidence coming out as The #1 draft pick . I thick maybe his bubble got burst ?? Playing with the first team might have given him a better chance to show his skills.

Truth is though Case Keenum beat him out, & you could see in practice.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Its getting harder and harder to listen to interviews from Fisher and Keenum. Their excuses are so frustrating.

JerseyRam1

Rookie
Well then. Can we ever recall a starting QB that has gone on record admitting he was spooked? Case is supposed to lead men, not act like a teenager at Fright Fest. Also, arent the coaches supposed to help him see more than what he sees so he can make adjustments?? Also, to help him "see", why didnt they roll him out more? More PA passes? The Monday night meltdown was a franchise wide failure. Lets hope they can fix it or just another year of our lives will be wasted watching loosing football.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
The first step to recovery is admitting you suck balls

I can't seriously believe I just read that Keenum quote...... unbelievable

image.jpg

Bruce2980

Starter
Well then. Can we ever recall a starting QB that has gone on record admitting he was spooked? Case is supposed to lead men, not act like a teenager at Fright Fest. Also, arent the coaches supposed to help him see more than what he sees so he can make adjustments?? Also, to help him "see", why didnt they roll him out more? More PA passes? The Monday night meltdown was a franchise wide failure. Lets hope they can fix it or just another year of our lives will be wasted watching loosing football.
To me the biggest factor wasn't that Case admitted he was scared, the worst part is that anyone watching that game film could see it in his eyes. Everyone on the team knows this cat should have been shot for cowardice!!!! It's no wonder Britt looked and sounded like there is no confidence in this QB. T Austin looked and sounded pissed after the game in his interview and was adamant that there were guys open. This is a huge problem. How long until these guys realize that the coaching staff is just as responsible for this embarrassment as they are? At what point do these guys find out that Fisher has no clue? This isn't the 1940's. Guys can't be expected to just line up with one or two plays and beat the living tar out of their opponent at every position and on every play and expect to win every weekend. With free agency, it is virtually impossible to find a dominant player like # 99 at every position.

fearsomefour

Legend
Mannion doesn't move well in the pocket. If he is facing a rush like the Niners used in week one, it will be a disaster. Goff needs to start learning. That 10-11 win talk to start the season was unrealistic with the move, a hole at Corner, no proven stud WR added, the toughest schedule in the league, and the most miles to travel in the league. The only reason not to play Goff is to avoid getting him killed. But that just delays his development. If Boras can't figure out how not to tip plays, or the line can't figure out how to block, or Groh can't figure out how to use a short passing game to deter a team loading the box, or veteran receivers can't figure out how to catch the ball...then this team is sunk. And that is a long list.
With rare exception if a QB is running to beat the blitz it's ready over. Having hot reads and being on the same page with the receivers and getting ball out quickly is how you beat the blitz.
There is a reason immobile guys like Brady are good on 3rd down and vs the blitz.
At any rate Seattle will be stacking the box for sure and blitzing a lot. For the love of God let's avoid the screen pass vs a
Loaded box with our lineman whiffing blocks. The Rams simply have to pass on first down at least half of the time and have success doing so or the O will do next to nothing.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I'm torn. I think playing Goff is best for the Rams, but I don't want us to lose. And I know that Keenum will have to both play poorly and the Rams lose for Fisher to consider yanking him.

Its the old rock and hard place thing. You don't wanna throw in the towel this early, but you need the kid to get his reps and experience to get better. If they don't do that this year, we're going through the growing pains next year. And maybe another losing season.

I don't see a winning season with Keenum at the helm. I'd say see what happens Sunday. If he still looks like he did, I think you have to put Goff in. Damn the season because its going down the drain anyway with Keenum. At least give us some hope for the future.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Actually Mannion does do well in the pocket he actually does better than Goff in that area, Goff makes a lot of plays outside the pocket, but he dont know how to maneuverand avoid the pass rush inside the pocket like Mannion does.