Rams can keep Rams Park for $1.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Blue I think it was a radio interview around midseason or a little earlier. The host asked where the Rams would be playing football next season and his reply was "I expect it to be St. Louis.".

I never heard anything about anyone talking crap about Kroenke other than the media and the fans. And I don't know why NFL owners would be talking to members of the task force.

Gotcha.

I remember the Peacock interview clearly, as well as the task force having various meetings with owners. All cities had people who met with the owners trying to garner support for their case. I would look up the article, but to be honest I have neither the time or desire to debate this still. Its obvious that some people feel personally hurt/attacked by what happened. Understandable as well. I'm just sick of hearing about it. Much like St Louis fans were sick of hearing LA fans talk about wanting the Rams back before all this went down. I'd rather be talking about football than hear constant bitching about Kroenke/Demoff. That's not directed to you, but rather a general statement, since it's going on everywhere. I'm just sick of it all.

Last edited:

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Also, on schools, throwing money at them is not an answer. As Americans we already spend more than any other nation, last I looked, and our education results are terrible. Money doesn't educate, commitment by parents and students does.

The US is 57th in percentage of GDP spent on education. We do have by far the highest percentage spent on higher education, which is vastly more expensive than anywhere else, though good at least. But elementary and secondary is underfunded, relative to normal pay scales here compared to elsewhere.

The question is if it's worth it for Saint Louis City to invest in the stadium or will the money be spent there anyways.

And as was pointed out already, most of the money for the stadium was slated to come from the state - 2/3 of it, in fact. Or don't the taxpayers in other parts of the state count?

In any case, study after study shows that it is not even close to being economically effective to build a stadium for a team. If it WERE effective, then the city and state should not have had any trouble justifying honoring the contract they had signed to bring the Rams here. Instead, they found that keeping the Rams in a state of the art stadium did not make sense, and they spent a decade trying to reduce the contract. I've yet to hear anything more than types of inductive arguments "I spend money or receive money by this; therefore there is enough money to justify building a stadium". But looking at it overall - this doesn't work in other metro areas - why would it work in St Louis? We're not talking about a few million difference, but hundreds of millions. And note stadium economic studies don't just say that they are distributing the money differently - they have found repeatedly that it makes a huge negative difference for the local population. If I spend $300 at the stadium with tickets, beers, hot dogs, etc - more of that money ends up outside of the local area than most of the other ways I would have spent that money. Spending $200 at local eateries, and $100 at local stores for instance creates more jobs and has more of that money respent locally, creating more jobs.

RamzFanz

Damnit
From my recollection of the economic studies, there is a statistically significant financial benefit to having a team vs. not having a team in town. However, there is not a financial benefit when it comes to building a new stadium for a team you already have.

Unless, of course, you are going to lose the team if you don't.

I would question that, in this circumstance, for one reason. Moving the team from the dome to the riverside frees up the dome for conventions and events when it sat empty for at least 17 weeks a year with just 8 days of use. I'm not sure if they also kept it empty futilely hoping for playoff games.

Anyways, all I'm saying is the City gains nothing by not building a stadium that pays for itself and improves the city's image. There is an argument that the money will be spent in the city anyways, but it won't.

I had one girl, who strongly opposed the stadium, tell me they should tear down the warehouse area and build a foot traffic only art and restaurant area. She had no clue that the money isn't back in the coffers, art and restaurant areas don't attract out of towners, or that we already have a riverfront complex that is all by bankrupt because they have no money to fix it that could have been revitalised by a neighboring stadium.

RamzFanz

Damnit
And as was pointed out already, most of the money for the stadium was slated to come from the state - 2/3 of it, in fact. Or don't the taxpayers in other parts of the state count?

They don't count in this discussion because it started with St Louis city, alone, getting "robbed" of $450 million with no vote. It was only the city who would have voted and they would have paid nothing or next to nothing in a decent deal.

Do I care if money is shifted from wealthy neighborhoods to the city at a break even cost? No, I don't. If I recall correctly, the state was even projecting a profit on the deal helping tax payers. I don't have any stats but I know for a fact most of the Rams resided in St Louis metro while playing and many former Rams still do. That all benefits the local population.

Warner built a wing onto a children's hospital and still today sponsors all kinds of things like playrooms for ill children and such. So did many many players. The Rams team did an enormous amount of charity work. Massive food donations to the poor, built and revitalised parks, mentoring kids, sponsoring charity events. Hell, they helped ROD raise thousands for charity at ThorDaddy's memorial gathering. Was any of that counted as a benefit in your studies or ignored like so much else? Is it not a loss to the economy?

In any case, study after study shows that it is not even close to being economically effective to build a stadium for a team. If it WERE effective, then the city and state should not have had any trouble justifying honoring the contract they had signed to bring the Rams here. Instead, they found that keeping the Rams in a state of the art stadium did not make sense, and they spent a decade trying to reduce the contract.

I don't believe your studies. I believe they are mostly agenda driven. If you have one you trust, I will read it.

Saint Louis didn't drop an additional $700,000,000 on the dome because it wasn't economically viable. There's a point where it is a loss for the city. They wouldn't pay 10 billion for a stadium either. It's not like you can just invest any amount and it works and I never said you could.

What if the city could build a stadium for $100,000,000, would it be economical then? What about $1,000,000? What about just the cost of infrastructure like LA is doing? Should LA tell the Rams no?

We're not talking about a few million difference, but hundreds of millions.

Difference in what? You lost me. In taxes? Shifted money?

And note stadium economic studies don't just say that they are distributing the money differently - they have found repeatedly that it makes a huge negative difference for the local population. If I spend $300 at the stadium with tickets, beers, hot dogs, etc - more of that money ends up outside of the local area than most of the other ways I would have spent that money. Spending $200 at local eateries, and $100 at local stores for instance creates more jobs and has more of that money respent locally, creating more jobs.

Stan Kroenke lived here, spent here, and invested heavily here in real estate creating jobs for people, and now he's not. Did your studies consider that or ignore it?

Again, for the City of Saint Louis, this is a net loss. A huge loss. You can spin it into "locals" or "state" or whatever you want, but the City lost.

It seems we are at an impasse. You think spending nothing in the city because we have no team is somehow a benefit to the city? The $50 I spent at Broadway Oyster Bar and the $100 I spent at ballpark village is gone. I didn't eat at the stadium, it's a rip off, and many people don't. I sipped beers there and drank and ate before and after at local establishments. I don't spend less downtown now, I spend nothing. The jobs Rams fans and opposing fans helped create are now gone. My town, which was doing just fine without that money, will now benefit even more while the city will not.

I do not care if the money is still spent 40 minutes away, this is about the city.

Besides, all deals are different. A city could require the players to pay taxes. They could hold and own adjacent property as profit generators. Any sweeping statements about stadiums not being profitable are inaccurate.

The total bond payments for the dome was 24 million a year. The player income taxes ALONE were 18 million. That's not considering all of the other taxes generated or all of the profit generated from other events at the dome and all the taxes those events generated in the local economy.

Last edited:

wmc540

Pro Bowler
If I was Kroenke I would buy the land for $1. It isn't about spiting anyone, it's about making $19 million. If I wanted to donate $19 million, I'd pick my favorite charity not a local government.

BuiltRamTough

Pro Bowler
Name
Edmond
I can't help but notice the people who are the most morally outraged by this seem to be the same people who supported the Peacock stadium effort the loudest. Clearly it would be wrong if Stan exercised his option and bought this land and robbed the people of $19 million (potentially). But it was perfectly alright to rob the people of $450 million in building a new stadium for Stan, without their vote.
That's why the MO leg sued.

They felt bypassing a public vote was just plain wrong.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
The US is 57th in percentage of GDP spent on education. We do have by far the highest percentage spent on higher education, which is vastly more expensive than anywhere else, though good at least. But elementary and secondary is underfunded, relative to normal pay scales here compared to elsewhere.
You can't look at GDP for this. The US has a much higher GDP that virtually any other nation considering its population. If you look at the top per student expenditures per country and then consider the cost of living in those countries, the US ranks at the top. Sorry but I studied specifically this fallacy as part of my job for 5 years. It is patently untrue and mercilessly used to ensure money to a wasteful and bloated bureaucracy. I once had the leader of the state teachers union tell me that he was not in the business of educating students - just to get more union members and more benefits for those members. While that was accurate and he wasn't lying, we were debating why the union felt they needed spending that was 15% over increases in inflation combined with the cost of living index. The US spends plenty on education - especially at the K-12 years. It is not a money issue.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
From a business stand point, Kroenke would be foolish to let this go. 19 million is a big pile of money, even to Stan. Why should he care about St. Louis at this point? If he is feeling generous maybe he lets them buy him out at a reduced rate and donate the money to charity.

The city of St. Louis was underhanded and foolish when luring the Rams 'at all costs'. They deserve what they get IMO.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
From a business stand point, Kroenke would be foolish to let this go. 19 million is a big pile of money, even to Stan. Why should he care about St. Louis at this point? If he is feeling generous maybe he lets them buy him out at a reduced rate and donate the money to charity.

The city of St. Louis was underhanded and foolish when luring the Rams 'at all costs'. They deserve what they get IMO.

Foolish yes for sure. But underhanded I disagree with. And they don't deserve this. The people who did this deal are probably all dead now.

Why make taxpayers eat it, and why do something to hurt the area?

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Just read about a billboard in LA that said:

Los Angeles > St Louis
Welcome guys

That is the gist of it, though I might have missed a word or 2...If it was a real sign, I think that shows a total and uncalled for lack of class by I imagine a small number of LA "fans"..They got what they wanted, banging on St. Louis was totally uncalled for, IMO..Throwing salt in the wound is tasteless and unseemly...I'm really disappointed in whoever did this...I was born and raised in Burbank, so it's not as though I have any ties to STL...

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

Los Angeles > St Louis
Welcome guys

That is the gist of it, though I might have missed a word or 2...If it was a real sign, I think that shows a total and uncalled for lack of class by I imagine a small number of LA "fans"..They got what they wanted, banging on St. Louis was totally uncalled for, IMO..Throwing salt in the wound is tasteless and unseemly...I'm really disappointed in whoever did this...I was born and raised in Burbank, so it's not as though I have any ties to STL...
Yeah, I agree. But it's on their home turf, so they're pandering to their own crowd.
Now if they posted that sign in St Louis, they should be beaten unconscious.

That said, I think they were trolling Jared Cook with the smaller sign next to it.

9aDX4h0.jpg

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Really low brow. I'm kinda shocked the local media didn't dig up who did it and embarrass them a little.

tonyl711

Starter
If your a city fan and not a Rams fan why are you even here then? Your just trying to start useless nonsense. Tired of this over sensitivity bs and the city whistle blowers taking every pop shot and opportunity to run somebody through the mud cause your feelings are hurt. I'm sorry the team left man but it wasn't up to me and I'm not a block headed 'LA' pundit so get off my back.
how about you get off our (St Louis) back, if this were happening in your city you would be pissed too, and who are you to tell anyone they shouldnt post here?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
can we stop with the St Louis is full of stupid people bullcrap? i would be kicked off of here if i said the same things about LA.
Nobody is saying St Louis is full of stupid people quit reading into statements things that aren't there. What everybody is saying, including some in St Louis, is that the 5,10 or 20 whatever it was, people that negotiated this deal on behalf of St Louis were stupid. That doesn't mean that everybody is stupid just the ones involved in this negotiation. If somebody pointed out a contract in LA, Miami or Kalamzoo we'd say the same damned thing about it. You're hyper sensitive about it and trying to create drama that isn't there.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
can we stop with the St Louis is full of stupid people bullcrap? i would be kicked off of here if i said the same things about LA.

C'mon man, it was a horrible deal. The bozos that agreed to it deserve to be laughed at. Gave up the world and didn't even lock the team in for longer than 20 years. They should be publicly shamed.

bluecoconuts

Legend

Los Angeles > St Louis
Welcome guys

It was some stupid company, nobody cares or even know who they are.

But otherwise, come on, what's next? Safe places? Should we not allow visting fans because it may upset people? Its fucking football, people need to quit crying over things like this. People in St Louis were holding up banners when the Rams left LA laughing about it, media members wrote articles telling LA to get over it, hell people were holding up signs this season talking about LA and every 5 minutes there was and is an article out of St Louis talking shit about LA fans.

People need to get into the man zone and quit their bitchin