Rams Camp Report: Day 6/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsAndEwe

Rookie
I appreciate the effort here but why the arbitrary 10 yards? Why not 20? It seems from watching the early games, the ones in which SB played, many of the drops were on longer passes. I don't have time, or frankly the interest, in looking at all of them but my (somewhat deficient) memory says I'm correct with this assertion. Also, IIRC, we were at the top of the league in drops early on last season but came back to the pack as the year went on and our young WR corps became more comfortable.

Agree to disagree.

10 yards was not arbitrary. Sam Bradford averaged 10.6101 Yards per completion in 2013. The extra 0.6101 yards per completion added up to 4 total yards, and would not have moved Sam Bradford up past 26th place, so I rounded the number to 10 yards per completion.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
10 yards was not arbitrary. Sam Bradford averaged 10.6101 Yards per completion in 2013. The extra 0.6101 yards per completion added up to 4 total yards, and would not have moved Sam Bradford up past 26th place, so I rounded the number to 10 yards per completion.
But we were discussing incompletions due to drops. As I mentioned in my previous post many of the passes our WRs dropped early on were of the long variety.

RamsAndEwe

Rookie
Correlation does not imply causation. YPA & YPA differential does not = wins.

Correlation does not imply causation, but that doesn't mean there isn't a connection.

During the last 11 years, from 2003-2013 115 out of 132 or 87.1% of playoff teams had positive YDS/A passing differentials!

6 of the 9 worst NFL rushing defenses made the playoffs in 2013!

I included the Arizona Cardinals in the stats below because they won 10 games in the NFL's toughest division.

11/13 or 85% of playoff teams had positive YDS/A passing differentials
7/13 or 54% of playoff teams had positive YDS/ Rushing attempt differentials.

RamsAndEwe

Rookie
But we were discussing incompletions due to drops. As I mentioned in my previous post many of the passes our WRs dropped early on were of the long variety.

Nobody in history has averaged 20 yard per completion, but if we pretend Sam Bradford would have averaged 20 yards per completion for every dropped pass last year, that would pushed Bradford up to 20th place in YPA.

Denver Bronco's receivers dropped 5 more passes than Rams receivers in 2013, and yet Peyton Manning averaged 2 more yards per pass attempt than Sam Bradford. The Super Bowl QB's? Peyton Manning ranked 3rd in the NFL in YPA. Russell Willson ranked 4th.

Last edited:

A320driver

Rookie
Brockers vs Robinson....clash of the Titans....Can anybody tell who's bigger?

Personally, it's like some of these "reporters" are scared to make a controversial opinion. I guess Coach0, Hammer, Jimi & all the rest have got me a lil spoiled. Who was getting beat on these passes. How'd the backup QB's look? Who was trying to block Donald?

Barnes on Donald, but take it with a grain of salt. Your spot on with the writers..Wagoner about wrote off the O line the other day, and had big things to say about how Hooey got creamed by M. Sam.
Well they put all the pads on yesterday, and the o line did some kicking back.
Iam not hearing about D line dominating as much, and Hooey took it to Sam and brought him back to earth a little ;)
The bottom line is that with Scott wells , and Jake long back you'll start to see some continuity and that's a damn good thing right now!
Yes as usual coach O has got some great insight..run..run..and play action passing will be on the menu served up by this offense.
On Saturdays scrimmage I want to see the backers, and the DB's effectiveness with that first team front.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Nobody in history has averaged 20 yard per completion, but if we pretend Sam Bradford would have averaged 20 yards per completion for every dropped pass last year, that would pushed Bradford up to 20th place in YPA.

Denver Bronco's receivers dropped 5 more passes than Rams receivers in 2013, and yet Peyton Manning averaged 2 more yards per pass attempt than Sam Bradford. The Super Bowl QB's? Peyton Manning ranked 3rd in the NFL in YPA. Russell Willson ranked 4th.
And? P. Manning also played in an entirely different offensive scheme not to mention the difference in talent at WR. You have your opinion on the "stat" I have mine. That's not to say either is right but it seems that your numbers are proving more about my original contention. YPAD is not as valuable for evaluating QBs as it is for evaluating team play.

Alan

Legend
RamsAndEwe with more figures:

I'm trying to follow this discussion and while I agree with your general point I have a question about the numbers you're using. You keep mentioning Sam's number and comparing them to Peyton's (for example). Since Sam only played about half the year you can't compare the two. The part that I bolded for example seems to be jumping from team stats compiled over the whole to to Payton and Sam's stats. One of whom only played half the season. It's not clear to me exactly which stats you're using in any of your posts on this subject. Could you clarify that issue for me?

RamsAndEwe

Rookie
And? P. Manning also played in an entirely different offensive scheme not to mention the difference in talent at WR. You have your opinion on the "stat" I have mine. That's not to say either is right but it seems that your numbers are proving more about my original contention. YPAD is not as valuable for evaluating QBs as it is for evaluating team play.

If you review my original post, I placed the most blame for Sam Bradford's low YPA on Brian Schottenhiemer and young receivers. Brian Schottnehiemer's QB's have had historically low YPA, and most receivers don't develop until their 3rd or 4th NFL year. As you know, our receivers are young.

A YPAD depends on a team's ability to defense the pass, as well as a team's offensive ability to execute an effective offensive passing scheme. YPAD= Offensive YPA - Defensive YPA allowed. Defense is every bit as important as offense in the YPAD formula.

You won't get any argument from me on YPAD and team play.

wrstdude

Rookie
Correlation does not imply causation, but that doesn't mean there isn't a connection.

During the last 11 years, from 2003-2013 115 out of 132 or 87.1% of playoff teams had positive YDS/A passing differentials!

6 of the 9 worst NFL rushing defenses made the playoffs in 2013!

I included the Arizona Cardinals in the stats below because they won 10 games in the NFL's toughest division.

11/13 or 85% of playoff teams had positive YDS/A passing differentials
7/13 or 54% of playoff teams had positive YDS/ Rushing attempt differentials.
100% of people who ate pickles in 1820 are dead. Is there a connection there?