Rams Camp Report: Day 6/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams Camp Report: Day 6
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/10064/rams-camp-report-day-6

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- A daily review of the hot topics coming out of St. Louis Rams training camp:

Thursday night's practice might as well have been the NFL equivalent of homecoming as the Rams had a bunch of familiar faces return to the field, including some coming back from injury who will be key to their success this season. Offensive tackle Jake Long, center Scott Wells and end William Hayes all got at least a few repetitions in team drills after being limited to some individual work to this point in camp. They didn't get a ton of work, but there were at least a few reps in which the Rams had their projected starting offensive line of (from left to right) Long, Greg Robinson, Wells, Rodger Saffold and Joe Barksdale together for the first time in this camp. Long and Wells did not participate in one-on-one pass-rush drills but Hayes did take some reps. Cornerback Trumaine Johnson also got back to work after sitting a few days with a tight hamstring. Offensive lineman Brandon Washington was also back to work. Defensive end Ethan Westbrooks did some work in the pass-rush drills as well after starting camp on the non-football injury list.

Linebacker James Laurinaitis limped off the field late in the practice and did not return. Coach Jeff Fisher said Laurinaitis got stepped on during the practice. It didn't appear to be serious. Cornerback Lamarcus Joyner did not practice and had his right leg wrapped as he watched on the sidelines. Others not participating: offensive lineman Barrett Jones, running back Isaiah Pead (hand), safety Christian Bryant, cornerback Jarrid Bryant and defensive end Sammy Brown.

On the field, the action picked up where it left off Tuesday with the offense again starting to catch up to the defense now that shoulder pads are on. Quarterback Sam Bradford continued to take some shots down the field and find his connection. Early in team drills, he hit Stedman Bailey in stride about 40 yards downfield for what likely would have been a touchdown. He also continued to connect with Kenny Britt and Brian Quick on some deep balls and hit Tavon Austin on a deep ball while backed up at his 1-yard line. Austin's finest moment actually came on a deep comeback route in which Bradford threw high but Austin elevated and caught the pass out of frame. That's something we haven't seen much of from Austin since his arrival in St. Louis.

With shoulder pads on, the one-on-one pass-rush drills got rolling Thursday with some interesting matchups. Defensive tackle Aaron Donald continues to dominate and did what he wanted against center Tim Barnes on a couple of reps. If you felt the Earth shake tonight, don't worry it was just Robinson and tackle Michael Brockers colliding. Robinson did a nice job in a couple of matchups.

Also visiting St. Louis this week: an officiating crew which handled Thursday's practice and will spend time on points of emphasis with the team in the next couple of days through Saturday's scrimmage. And Blake Williams, former linebackers coach and son of defensive coordinator Gregg, who stopped in to see his dad and former team at work. He made a similar visit in the spring.

The Rams return to the Rams Park practice field Friday at 4:30 p.m. ET, which doubles as the next workout open to the public.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Every report talks about all these deep bombs Bradford is connecting on with his receivers. Does this mean we'll actually take shots down the field? These reports are getting me excited for this offense.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Every report talks about all these deep bombs Bradford is connecting on with his receivers. Does this mean we'll actually take shots down the field? These reports are getting me excited for this offense.

Since before OTAs we have heard Bradford talking about them taking shots downfield this year. Its not like they are just dropping back and letting it fly. But they are running a ton of those 18-20 yard intermediate routes that have been absent in this offense.

They are taking the deep shots off of play action, working both sides of the field, and seeing both Britt and Quick running the deep post using their size to screen off the safety. and just about the time you think they are going to take another shot, they run Quick and Britt both down the sidelines, and her comes Austin underneath (but behind the LBs) on that crossing route. The design is there. It's just now seeing it continue.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
The best news out of this report for me, is the return to team drills of both Long & Wells. I thought they were both getting close after seeing them in the unit drills Tuesday, but this is huge. And getting Trumaine back can only help.

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
I hope so

Oldgeek

I'm old and can't wait another 20 years for a SB W
Name
Steve
If the Rams can throw downfield enough to keep the 8th guy out of the box, the run game will get even better. I think. :cautious:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I hope so

I hope so too. The team has players that can go deep, and Bradford has the arm to execute (unlike Clemens).

The deep ball does a LOT to loosen up the field. We need to use it!

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Maybe so, then all these nimrod "analysts" who can't see anything beyond YPA will crawl back under their rocks.

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
I think we're going to be pounding the rock so much that it's going to finally open up the passing game this year... it's starting to come together, people!

RamsAndEwe

Rookie
Maybe so, then all these nimrod "analysts" who can't see anything beyond YPA will crawl back under their rocks.

Hey! I'm one of those nimrod analysts who think YPA is very important.

If Sam goes deep and intermediate this year, I won't crawl under a rock. No way! I will stand atop the biggest rock boulder, shoulder to shoulder with my fellow Ram fans and cheer wildly!

Actually I'm believe in what I call Passing YPA differential. Which is offensive YPA minus defensive YPA allowed. So if the Sam Bradford averages 7.5 YPA and the Rams defense allows 6.2 YPA, then Rams would have a positive +1.3 YPA, and a winning record. If you have a positive passing YPA you win, and if you have a negative YPA you lose. There were only two exceptions out of 32 teams last year. And the Seahawks were number 1 with the highest passing YPA in the NFL.

BigRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Hey! I'm one of those nimrod analysts who think YPA is very important.

If Sam goes deep and intermediate this year, I won't crawl under a rock. No way! I will stand atop the biggest rock boulder, shoulder to shoulder with my fellow Ram fans and cheer wildly!

Actually I'm believe in what I call Passing YPA differential. Which is offensive YPA minus defensive YPA allowed. So if the Sam Bradford averages 7.5 YPA and the Rams defense allows 6.2 YPA, then Rams would have a positive +1.3 YPA, and a winning record. If you have a positive passing YPA you win, and if you have a negative YPA you lose. There were only two exceptions out of 32 teams last year. And the Seahawks were number 1 with the highest passing YPA in the NFL.
IMO, YPA is another useless stat. Take away a couple of easy drops last year and Sam's YPA instantly becomes "acceptable". In your example the simple answer to the seahags YPA differential is their secondary (who, btw, got away with an incredible amount of PI and holding all season), it had less to do with QB play.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Im getting so stinking excited, the Rams better not but just teasing us!

RamsAndEwe

Rookie
IMO, YPA is another useless stat. Take away a couple of easy drops last year and Sam's YPA instantly becomes "acceptable". In your example the simple answer to the seahags YPA differential is their secondary (who, btw, got away with an incredible amount of PI and holding all season), it had less to do with QB play.

We will agree to disagree that YPA is a useless stat, even though only one out of the top 15 2013 QB's in YPA had a losing record. That was Matthew Stafford.

In 2013 Russell Wilson was number 4 in YPA and the Seattle defense were number 1 in lowest YPA allowed, thus giving the Seahawks the YPA differential diamond to inset to their Super Bowl Crown and rings. So yes, a stingy pass defense can make up for a deficient QB YPA.

Although Sam Bradford had the 11th highest QB rating last year. Sam Bradford was 34th in YPA. Yikes, there are only 32 teams. I blame most of Bradford's low YPA on Brian Schottenhiem and young receivers. If Bradford can raise his YPA 1.0 yards this year, I will be very happy.

As for drops? I subtracted enough drops to make the Rams the best team in the NFL in drops. The Rams dropped 30 passes and the N.O. Saints were the best team with only 15 drops. A difference of 15 drops. I pretended that the Rams tied the Saint for fewest dropped passes. So I had Ram receivers drop 7 fewer Bradford passes, because he was injured after the Carolina game. Bradford only played 7 games- Clements played 9 games I then added 10 yards to each dropped pass that would have been caught. Sam Bradford went from 34th in YPA to 26th in the NFL in YPA.

Last edited:

Alan

Legend
BigRamFan looking at only part of the picture:
I disagree that YPA or YPA Differential is a useless stat. Taken in context, all the stats have their usefulness in assessing performance and future probabilities. The trick is to use stats as just part of the equation and especially to look at the big picture. Your point about it not having a direct correlation to QB play is partially true but that's the small picture and not the point of YPA Differential at all. If you read what R&E said again you'll see that she isn't using it to rate the QB, she's using it as a team statistic that is predictive of future team outcomes. It includes much more than just SB's play or what types of play the OC calls. The play of your defense makes up 50% of her YPA Differential equation.

We look at completion percentage when we try and measure a QBs accuracy and yet aren't drops and WR quality a big part of those stats? How is that any different than your complaint about YPA? I'm pretty sure that every stat could be picked apart just like YPA but then what. :eek: :LOL:

Bottom line for me is that YPA Differential and to a lesser extent YPA, is a useful stat as long as it's just part of the picture.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Brockers vs Robinson....clash of the Titans....Can anybody tell who's bigger?

Personally, it's like some of these "reporters" are scared to make a controversial opinion. I guess Coach0, Hammer, Jimi & all the rest have got me a lil spoiled. Who was getting beat on these passes. How'd the backup QB's look? Who was trying to block Donald?

BigRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
We will agree to disagree that YPA is a useless stat, even though only one out of the top 15 2013 QB's in YPA had a losing record. That was Matthew Stafford.

In 2013 Russell Wilson was number 4 in YPA and the Seattle defense were number 1 in lowest YPA allowed, thus giving the Seahawks the YPA differential diamond to inset to their Super Bowl Crown and rings. So yes, a stingy pass defense can make up for a deficient QB YPA.

Although Sam Bradford had the 11th highest QB rating last year. Sam Bradford was 34th in YPA. Yikes, there are only 32 teams. I blame most of Bradford's low YPA on Brian Schottenhiem and young receivers. If Bradford can raise his YPA 1.0 yards this year, I will be very happy.

As for drops? I subtracted enough drops to make the Rams the best team in the NFL in drops. The Rams dropped 30 passes and the N.O. Saints were the best team with only 15 drops. A difference of 15 drops. I pretended that the Rams tied the Saint for fewest dropped passes. So I had Ram receivers drop 7 fewer Bradford passes, because he was injured after the Carolina game. Bradford only played 7 games- Clements played 9 games I then added 10 yards to each dropped pass that would have been caught. Sam Bradford went from 34th in YPA to 26th in the NFL in YPA.
I appreciate the effort here but why the arbitrary 10 yards? Why not 20? It seems from watching the early games, the ones in which SB played, many of the drops were on longer passes. I don't have time, or frankly the interest, in looking at all of them but my (somewhat deficient) memory says I'm correct with this assertion. Also, IIRC, we were at the top of the league in drops early on last season but came back to the pack as the year went on and our young WR corps became more comfortable.

Agree to disagree.

BigRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
I disagree that YPA or YPA Differential is a useless stat. Taken in context, all the stats have their usefulness in assessing performance and future probabilities. The trick is to use stats as just part of the equation and especially to look at the big picture. Your point about it not having a direct correlation to QB play is partially true but that's the small picture and not the point of YPA Differential at all. If you read what R&E said again you'll see that she isn't using it to rate the QB, she's using it as a team statistic that is predictive of future team outcomes. It includes much more than just SB's play or what types of play the OC calls. The play of your defense makes up 50% of her YPA Differential equation.

We look at completion percentage when we try and measure a QBs accuracy and yet aren't drops and WR quality a big part of those stats? How is that any different than your complaint about YPA? I'm pretty sure that every stat could be picked apart just like YPA but then what. :eek: :LOL:

Bottom line for me is that YPA Differential and to a lesser extent YPA, is a useful stat as long as it's just part of the picture.
You make an excellent point about "taken in context" I guess I just get tired of all of the "experts" (not talking about you @RamsAndEwe ) spouting out stats out of context then using them to proclaim their opinion as fact.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I don't know, I may be the only one, But I hate the "YPA Stat" there are sooo many reasons a pass can go 'incomplete'. I, for one, prefer to look at the Yards Per Completion instead!!