Rams Bros podcast with Jourdan on it

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The Rams were confident that they would not lose both Bobby Wagner and Lavonte David if they just moved down three spots but they did.

That's OK. They got an extra pick and turned it into Rokevious Watkins.
Well to be fair, they claimed they would have taken Earnest Jones at 88 and traded back and it supposedly worked as planned. I do agree with sticking to the plan and taking who you wanted it they want them badly enough. But who's to say tutu wasn't a fallback because other guys they liked better were gone? In that case of read and decay moves did they make the choice with a bit of desperation involved? Or some confusion when things don't fall as planned? We won't know outside of McVay's comment about some guys they liked not being available. In the end, of course they loved Tutu, he's the next DJ, lets list him at 160 to make it look like a better pick.
Yeah, agree. But she whiffed on predicting multiple oline draft picks by the Rams. It wasn't an irrational prediction by any means, but just not what the Rams actually intended.

McVay fooled lots of pundits and posters.
nah, they've admitted to liking Olinemen in recent drafts but they didn't reach them. Its likely the same thing this year. The guys they liked didnt go when or where they valued them at.

But I totally agree with her points about they missed out on two consecutive years of good Online drafts, that would have enabled them to restock the cupboard for when the starters are free agents. They kind of put themselves in a bind if they cannot retain these guys. What if the next two drafts suck for Online men?

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I don't know who's who but the louder guy with all the bad takes and pessimism was annoying.

The worst take is that Stafford isn't an upgrade at QB for us. I'm sorry to those who miss Goff and can't see that, but it's been several months since the trade so i'm taking the gloves off on this.

dang

Legend
Well to be fair, they claimed they would have taken Earnest Jones at 88 and traded back and it supposedly worked as planned. I do agree with sticking to the plan and taking who you wanted it they want them badly enough. But who's to say tutu wasn't a fallback because other guys they liked better were gone? In that case of read and decay moves did they make the choice with a bit of desperation involved? Or some confusion when things don't fall as planned? We won't know outside of McVay's comment about some guys they liked not being available. In the end, of course they loved Tutu, he's the next DJ, lets list him at 160 to make it look like a better pick.

nah, they've admitted to liking Olinemen in recent drafts but they didn't reach them. Its likely the same thing this year. The guys they liked didnt go when or where they valued them at.

But I totally agree with her points about they missed out on two consecutive years of good Online drafts, that would have enabled them to restock the cupboard for when the starters are free agents. They kind of put themselves in a bind if they cannot retain these guys. What if the next two drafts suck for Online men?
There are multiple ways of getting players. Draft, UDFA, Free Agency, Pickup cut players and Trade. I believe the Rams had a plan for the OL that few of us understood or agreed with. But one thing I do understand is they are constantly striving to build the perfect beast. Let’s see how this plays out and ultimately decide if they improved or lessened their talent from last year. My $$$ is on improved.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I get the logic there although I don't believe Atwell to be a make or break pick at all. As I've said, I believe he would have been there and would have chanced it with the extra prize being, get more picks.

If he's your guy, then make the pick for better or worse, I believe they might have traded back, however, the Seahawks drafted Eskridge, which IMO, made the Rams stay the course and take Atwell.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
There are multiple ways of getting players. Draft, UDFA, Free Agency, Pickup cut players and Trade. I believe the Rams had a plan for the OL that few of us understood or agreed with. But one thing I do understand is they are constantly striving to build the perfect beast. Let’s see how this plays out and ultimately decide if they improved or lessened their talent from last year. My $$$ is on improved.
My post points to 2022 and 2023 concerning the Online. They claim it takes development for Online men, however it didn't for Edwards. But Edwards was injured or he possibly is chosen in round 1.

How much could they have improved this year. They said this draft was all about depth? I guess they likely improved Special Teams. Considering that they lost JJ, Hill and Fox the defense could be worse off. The offense should be improved but that has little to do with this draft. That's mostly the Stafford and Jackson additions.

dang

Legend
I don't know who's who but the louder guy with all the bad takes and pessimism was annoying.

The worst take is that Stafford isn't an upgrade at QB for us. I'm sorry to those who miss Goff and can't see that, but it's been several months since the trade so i'm taking the gloves off on this.
Goff’s ceiling was relatively high. He had some great drives and great halves of football but i don’t recall any great games (perhaps the TB game). Unfortunately his floor was extremely low and he seemed to hit it at points in each game. It was difficult to watch at times. I wish him all the luck in the world but i’ve concluded 10-6 is what we had with him at QB and I want more.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
The Rams were confident that they would not lose both Bobby Wagner and Lavonte David if they just moved down three spots but they did.

That's OK. They got an extra pick and turned it into Rokevious Watkins.
Yeah but a 150 lb WR going that early? I'd just personally take my chances and pick up more. What if Atwell turns out to not hold up well in the NFL? What if that extra pick was an OL we could have drafted and developed to restock our depth since a handful are set to be FA? I know these are all questions that can't be answered without us playing games, but I think McVay and the Rams saw WRs go and sort of panicked picked Atwell (I'm obviously guessing lol). I imagine if we got Atwell along with Meinerz with an extra traded pick for example, we'd feel even better about the draft. Can't be scared to trade back because they effed up picking folks with extra picks. The draft is a crap shoot and to me, it's best to have as many shots as possible to hit on more players. At the end of the day, I know we have who we have got and I will be rooting hard that they succeed. Just simply sharing my thoughts for discussion lol.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Yeah but a 150 lb WR going that early? I'd just personally take my chances and pick up more. What if Atwell turns out to not hold up well in the NFL? What if that extra pick was an OL we could have drafted and developed to restock our depth since a handful are set to be FA? I know these are all questions that can't be answered without us playing games, but I think McVay and the Rams saw WRs go and sort of panicked picked Atwell (I'm obviously guessing lol). I imagine if we got Atwell along with Meinerz with an extra traded pick for example, we'd feel even better about the draft. Can't be scared to trade back because they effed up picking folks with extra picks. The draft is a crap shoot and to me, it's best to have as many shots as possible to hit on more players. At the end of the day, I know we have who we have got and I will be rooting hard that they succeed. Just simply sharing my thoughts for discussion lol.
Reasonable thoughts and comments.

Few counter-points. The Rams, and in particular McVay, apparently are very high on Atwell and did not want to run even a small risk of losing him ... so no trade-down.

From your posts, you do not seem to be high on Atwell, and that's OK. However, it also means that the risk of losing him because of a trade-down would not be a big loss in your mind.

What it comes down to is whether Atwell turns-out to be a good player or not. If he is what McVay thinks and expects, the decision was a good one. If not, then it was a poor decision.

Another point I have not seen mentioned in this topic-exchange is what you think the Rams could have gotten back had they traded-down 5-7 spots from #57 to the mid-60's. I am guessing a fifth round pick ... say between 120-140. That's a big factor for the Rams to consider in whether to risk losing a player they really wanted.

Finally, there is a report out there (and I think there's even a thread on this Forum) that the Lions may have lost on the DL they preferred by trading-down three spots.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Reasonable thoughts and comments.

Few counter-points. The Rams, and in particular McVay, apparently are very high on Atwell and did not want to run even a small risk of losing him ... so no trade-down.

From your posts, you do not seem to be high on Atwell, and that's OK. However, it also means that the risk of losing him because of a trade-down would not be a big loss in your mind.

What it comes down to is whether Atwell turns-out to be a good player or not. If he is what McVay thinks and expects, the decision was a good one. If not, then it was a poor decision.

Another point I have not seen mentioned in this topic-exchange is what you think the Rams could have gotten back had they traded-down 5-7 spots from #57 to the mid-60's. I am guessing a fifth round pick ... say between 120-140. That's a big factor for the Rams to consider in whether to risk losing a player they really wanted.

Finally, there is a report out there (and I think there's even a thread on this Forum) that the Lions may have lost on the DL they preferred by trading-down three spots.
Yes, I'm not super high on Atwell, but it doesn't mean he won't end up being a good pick. I'll be ok if he's a home run and I have to eat crow on that one lol. I get that trading back comes with the risk of losing players a team may want so I totally understand their approach on that. Losing out on players such as Atwell could have also forced us to draft another speed WR that may end up being better than Atwell in the long run too.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Okay after listening, I'm a lot more comfortable with the Ernest Jones pick. They made a good point about him taking the right angle. not missing when he pursues, and wrapping up. We had other faster guys before like Ogletree that would get to an RB and then just whiff. If he gets help with containment on outside runs and plugs all the wholes in the middle, he can do great things for us.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Yup I am, so I would have pulled the trigger. With that said, I ain't the GM either so lol. It would have been awesome if we made that trade and still got him. Probably would have been able to add an IOL prospect or someone of interest with that extra pick. Makes that pick easier to take in my eyes. Its obvious that the Rams saw the run of some WRs before that pick and decided to play it safe and draft Atwell.

a) we can't know how other teams saw Tutu, so that would have been a gamble.
b) we don't know if the Rams desired anyone besides Tutu. Based on getting DJax and then drafting his clone, sure seems to me like they did target Tutu.
c) I don't care how many picks the Rams had, it's entirely unlikely they were gonna draft an IOL short of having like 6 picks in the 7th round. Which means no matter how much we wanted an IOL (and trust me, I'm still mad at my friend for his Broncos drafting Meinherz), they weren't gonna do it.
d) to repeat, based on the "traits" mentioned and bringing in DJax, Tutu WAS their guy. I know, I know... WE don't want that to be true, but it sure seems like it is.

It's one thing to have ideas about how the Rams should have drafted. I know I do.

But when we conflate our ideas with fact or how the Rams' FO valued players, that's just fantasy.

We're totally allowed to have our takes. The difference is that our takes aren't the Rams' takes and they aren't fact, "the truth" or anything other than our opinions. That's it.

All we can do know is to root for the players we traded for, signed in FA, did draft and sign as UDFAs as well to collectively come together with the coaches to win a Super Bowl.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
a) we can't know how other teams saw Tutu, so that would have been a gamble.
b) we don't know if the Rams desired anyone besides Tutu. Based on getting DJax and then drafting his clone, sure seems to me like they did target Tutu.
c) I don't care how many picks the Rams had, it's entirely unlikely they were gonna draft an IOL short of having like 6 picks in the 7th round. Which means no matter how much we wanted an IOL (and trust me, I'm still mad at my friend for his Broncos drafting Meinherz), they weren't gonna do it.
d) to repeat, based on the "traits" mentioned and bringing in DJax, Tutu WAS their guy. I know, I know... WE don't want that to be true, but it sure seems like it is.

It's one thing to have ideas about how the Rams should have drafted. I know I do.

But when we conflate our ideas with fact or how the Rams' FO valued players, that's just fantasy.

We're totally allowed to have our takes. The difference is that our takes aren't the Rams' takes and they aren't fact, "the truth" or anything other than our opinions. That's it.

All we can do know is to root for the players we traded for, signed in FA, did draft and sign as UDFAs as well to collectively come together with the coaches to win a Super Bowl.
Yeah totally agree it's my opinion on how I would have went about it, but I'm not Les Snead for sure lol. I'll definitely root for everyone we drafted to be successful regardless of me feeling like we could have drafted a bit better.