Rams Bigger Problem - RB or OL?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Our problem on the OL is injuries. Edwards and Shelton will hopefully get healthy, which should improve things a lot. At HB, our only real shot at being saved is if Kyren Williams is a breakout star. He's a very gifted guy in the passing game, but I don't see him being a difference maker on the ground. Here's hoping he proves me wrong. He is shifty, and he does run hard.
Yeah he's a McVay type through and through. Nifty feet, some elusiveness, likes to bounce it outside. And I agree he should help in the pass game. Seems like he's the guy carrying our hope now for sure.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
The injuries issue is quantifiable and obvious. Then again so is the fact we haven’t made the OL investments most teams have made over the last few years; the claim we have is funny.

Rams4life

Rookie
Name
Bud
Not to ruffle any feathers but the OL excuse doesn't fly. The 69ers were starting guys off the street last season and made it to the championship game. Just saying

Rams4life

Rookie
Name
Bud
Not sure if Edwards makes it back, have a feeling that might be a year thing for his safety. So the OL would be my main focus and I like Williams too, but he's so damn small, please draft a bigger back with some life left unlike Malcolm Brown.

I truly wish with their second round pick the Rams could draft an entire Offensive Line with just that pick, but not sure of the cap room, however, some good RB's available come free agency too.
Yeah Malcolm Brown has no business being on the roster imo.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not to ruffle any feathers but the OL excuse doesn't fly. The 69ers were starting guys off the street last season and made it to the championship game. Just saying
The Shanahans have done that for decades. They also find HBs off the street who star in that system. Most teams can't get away with it.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
When the Niners' O-Line was healthy last year, it was-left-to-right ...
Williams-Tomlinson-Mack-Brunskill-McGlinchey. Only McGlinchey missed significant time with injuries.

Four of those five starters were first round draft choices.

Just Saying ... the FACTS.

Last edited:

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
I’m not so sure the game 1 OL was gonna be all that stout. The OL was gonna be a problem this year. The future of the current roster could be disastrous unless we are looking at our future in Jackson and Anchrum along with Bruss and they turn out. Jackson is benefiting from the real game PT and looks like he’s working out. Anchrum showed well in preseason, but that’s not the same of course. Bruss was looking like he was gonna need a season to develop, so his injury is a real setback.

The commentator (Olsen) made an excellent point during the game. He spoke of keeping the run game in play with down and distance so the defense HAD to defend it. You didn’t necessarily have to have a great run game for that. The rolling pockets and screens kept that idea afloat for as long as it could, but too many 3rd and shorts where the Rams showed no interest in running gave that plan away. The point is even a decent run game is enough with this offense—which they currently do not have.

Yes, an above average RB is helpful, but only after he hits the hole. Only Barry Sanders, who played a career with defenders in the backfield, would stand a chance with this OL.

Bottom line is drafting players to develop is risky in that they could be career backups who are good enough to play in the nfl, just not good enough to handle the job week in and week out because they will eventually be overmatched.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I remember a lot of us questioning the offensive line during the off season before the Super Bowl run. As it turns out, we were just fine. Injuries has us at a point where we truly do not know what we have as a unit until next year. I trust the evaluation process that the Rams have as far as the OL is concerned, and it will show next season.

Cam and whatever is going on with the team is concerning. RB room is total suspect. OL line is bad? I get it. I want to know what is going on with Cam and the Rams.