Rams Bigger Problem - RB or OL?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SeminoleRam

Pro Bowler
Name
PaceRam
Personally, I think it is the OL. Just can’t believe Stafford and the RB’s are that bad this season! Love Snead but I do think he (They) passed on too many quality OL in recent drafts.

Not Complaining (They WON the Super Bowl last season!!!)! Just giving a very UNPROFESSIONAL Opinion!

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Depends on what you’re asking?

At the moment?

OL because rash of injuries.

But I’d say there’s more OL talent on the Roster than RB talent.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
Depends on what you’re asking?

At the moment?

OL because rash of injuries.

But I’d say there’s more OL talent on the Roster than RB talent.
Probably only seems that way because the numbers are already 5 positions vs. 1. We just perennially gamble on not investing in OL and it has caught up with us.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Probably only seems that way because the numbers are already 5 positions vs. 1. We just perennially gamble on not investing in OL and it has caught up with us.
Oh, nonsense.
Just from a talent standpoint.. Jackson, Allen & Havenstein are better at their positions than any RB on Rams roster.
Anchrum looked very promising in preseason and who knows about Bruss.

The Oline is down 60% of its starters… take away Akers & Henderson and what do you have?

Injuries caught up with the Rams on the Oline more than draft philosophy.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Oh, nonsense.
Just from a talent standpoint.. Jackson, Allen & Havenstein are better at their positions than any RB on Rams roster.
Anchrum looked very promising in preseason and who knows about Bruss.

The Oline is down 60% of its starters… take away Akers & Henderson and what do you have?

Injuries caught up with the Rams on the Oline more than draft philosophy.
It's a combo of both injuries and drafting. The folks complaining about the Rams not investing in the o-line is about the fact that the Rams don't prioritize them early in the draft but instead spend late draft picks on project offensive lineman. I get you can find them in later rounds, but typically higher draft picks have greater traits and potential. We missed out on Creed (yes I know, dead horse lol) based on the dumb decision to draft Tutu instead. I wish they'd tap that o-linemen well more often earlier in the draft. I think we'd have better depth as a result but I get that's debatable. Either way, we have who we have and injuries have most definitely bit us in the ass big time.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Our problem on the OL is injuries. Edwards and Shelton will hopefully get healthy, which should improve things a lot. At HB, our only real shot at being saved is if Kyren Williams is a breakout star. He's a very gifted guy in the passing game, but I don't see him being a difference maker on the ground. Here's hoping he proves me wrong. He is shifty, and he does run hard.

Last edited:

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
We made assumptions in terms of the O.L this year even before the injuries.
Obviously, injuries compounded the issues of losing all pro's and adding unproven new starters but it was a calculated risk nonetheless.
It happens we are champs until Feb and the NFC is still to be had. Heal up and play your best heading down the stretch.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
It's a combo of both injuries and drafting. The folks complaining about the Rams not investing in the o-line is about the fact that the Rams don't prioritize them early in the draft but instead spend late draft picks on project offensive lineman. I get you can find them in later rounds, but typically higher draft picks have greater traits and potential. We missed out on Creed (yes I know, dead horse lol) based on the dumb decision to draft Tutu instead. I wish they'd tap that o-linemen well more often earlier in the draft. I think we'd have better depth as a result but I get that's debatable. Either way, we have who we have and injuries have most definitely bit us in the ass big time.
I completely understand that point of view.. that they'd like to see the Rams invest more in the line.
My point is don't confuse this season's injuries with a lack of investment. Players got hurt... a bunch of them.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
I completely understand that point of view.. that they'd like to see the Rams invest more in the line.
My point is don't confuse this season's injuries with a lack of investment. Players got hurt... a bunch of them.
Yeah, our offensive line has been cursed by some voodoo shaman out there. We are definitely finding out the worth of our depth and so far Jackson looks like a keeper. Hopefully when we get our remaining 2 starters back, our offense will play less offensive lol

oldnotdead

Legend
Roger Carter playing a FB role will help the OL. It will be like having a 6th OL on running plays. It will make play action even better. It will buy Stafford that extra second and he will still have 3 quick receiving options, 2 WRs and TE plus a dumpoff in RB and FB. The Fb is often uncovered in play action.

If OL continues to be the problem in the passing game then Sean needs to play two TEs to lengthen the line. Until the OL gels Sean needs to protect them. A FB or double TEs will definitely help. If it means redesigning plays so be it. Once Shelton returns IMO so can 11 personnel. Until then 12 or 21 personnel should be his offensive sets.

He needs to tell Morris to play tight like he did in the playoffs. Bench Kendricks after his stunt and play Rochell outside and Durant inside as SCB. He can still play his zones but tighter to give the DL time to get there. Play Jonah Williams at DE instead of Lewis. Williams is stronger and faster than Lewis. Move Gaines to 1T instead of 0T why give the RB a two-way go? Let jones cover the other A gap. Morris' defensive alignment are so simplistic it makes me crazy. His defense is a QB's dream. What they see pre-snap is what they get. No deception or masking intentions at all. Is it no wonder teams march up and down the field?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Of course it's the OL. But RB can help an offense out too and we need that as well. And it's affordable in comparison.

IBruce80

Tokyo Ram
When RB's are getting tackled for loss surely the OL is at fault.
It's happened a lot, or the line just can't block so the RB just falls into them.
Hendo and Brown can get some yards, but strugging this season.

dang

Legend
I’m hoping the entire starting OL gets replaced except maybe Hav. I am optimistic AJAx, Anchrum and Bruss can help but I want a top 5 OL and top 10 Run Game next year next year so make it happen.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I'm not even sure at this point why this is even a question. It's obvious

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
List of starting RBs who can succeed with excellent blocking: all of them.

List of RBs who can succeed with below average blocking: almost none of them.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Our problem on the OL is injuries. Edwards and Shelton will hopefully get healthy, which should improve things a lot. At HB, our only real shot at being saved is if Kyren Williams is a breakout star. He's a very gifted guy in the passing game, but I don't see him being a difference maker on the ground. Here's hoping he proves me wrong. He is shifty, and he does run hard.
Not sure if Edwards makes it back, have a feeling that might be a year thing for his safety. So the OL would be my main focus and I like Williams too, but he's so damn small, please draft a bigger back with some life left unlike Malcolm Brown.

I truly wish with their second round pick the Rams could draft an entire Offensive Line with just that pick, but not sure of the cap room, however, some good RB's available come free agency too.