Rams awaiting word on injuries to Rodger Saffold, Daren Bates

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/p...ord-on-injuries-to-rodger-saffold-daren-bates

The No. 1 goal for any team in any preseason game is to make it through without any injuries, especially long-term ones to key players. The St. Louis Rams had two injuries to key players in their 18-3 loss to the Oakland Raiders on Friday night, but it remains to be seen if either will be long term.

Left guard Rodger Saffold left the game just four plays in with an apparent shoulder injury as he left the game holding his right arm. Linebacker Daren Bates later limped off with an apparent knee injury.

After the game, Rams coach Jeff Fisher offered little in the way of an update on either player.

"I don’t have any information right now on Rodger or Daren," Fisher said. "Daren is sore. Everybody else that left temporarily came back."

Fisher indicated at halftime of the television broadcast that he didn't expect Saffold's injury to be anything too serious but acknowledged after the game that Saffold would need to have some more tests done on Saturday. The Rams can't afford to lose any of their starting offensive linemen for a long stretch, but it's especially true in Saffold's case.

With two rookies projected to start on the right side and a new starter at center, Saffold is by far the team's most experienced lineman. He has 63 career starts under his belt. No matter who wins the starting center job, the most combined NFL starts the other four projected starting linemen could have is 16.

For what it's worth, Saffold had left shoulder surgery in the offseason but the injury he suffered Friday night is to the other shoulder.

As for Bates, one of the team's leaders on special teams, things might be a bit more bleak. Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported that Bates was on crutches in the locker room after the game and would also undergo an MRI on Saturday.

V3

Hall of Fame
I love Saffold when he's healthy but seriously, does anyone really expect him to stay healthy anymore? Wish him the best.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I certainly hope Saffold's injury is minor. He does have a tendency to get injured but only turn out to be a minor one. But he seems more durable at guard than tackle. We can't afford to lose our best lineman.

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
Saffold does get injured a lot but he doesn't get enough credit for playing injured. I've seen multiple games where he got injured to come back into the game and play well. Obviously still hoping he can stay healthy

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Bates will be missed on special teams and I'm getting the feeling maybe the Rams need to step up and sign a veteran guard because of Saffold's history I sure hope it's nothing serious for him.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I don't understand this at all. Saffold was injured when he pushed a Raider with his LEFT arm! And now they are saying that his Right shoulder is the problem?
Is this a cover up?

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
Need to get out from under his contract after this year. This guy can't stay healthy and it will always be managing his issues. I hope Wichmann and Donnal get up to speed on LG in a hurry!

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
He'll be back next game, would have probably been back in by the 2nd Q, but the ones were out by that point. It's Saffold FFS, he's always hurt, they just tend to be such incredibly minor injuries.

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
I don't understand this at all. Saffold was injured when he pushed a Raider with his LEFT arm! And now they are saying that his Right shoulder is the problem?
Is this a cover up?
Naw, no conspiracy here. If you have it on DVR look again. He sheds his blocker and picks up a guy coming in from his right. He gets his left hand on him and them extends his right arm into the oncoming rusher. It's almost like he jammed his shoulder, you know like when we have jammed a finger.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
As often as he gets injured, I just assume he is hurt, not injured, ever really. And that makes me question his toughness. At least question his pain tolerance.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Hopefully Saffold is okay, but Bates' injury sounds worse. Could be something like an ACL which would really suck, he's a ST beast.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Saffold is crucial for the team this year but I'm getting sick of relying on this dude. I would say he has left more games with an injury than he has played in fully. You have to have a certain toughness to play on the offensive line and I'm convinced Saffold doesn't have it.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Well... Saffold did in fact start all 16 games last year. Let's wait for news before getting too excited.

fearsomefour

Legend
Saffold is crucial for the team this year but I'm getting sick of relying on this dude. I would say he has left more games with an injury than he has played in fully. You have to have a certain toughness to play on the offensive line and I'm convinced Saffold doesn't have it.
Depends how you define toughness. It seems any little nick and he goes out. But, he did play a bunch of games last year with a shoulder that needed surgery. Durability? maybe no. Toughness? I think he has that.
I was hoping he could get through this year. That would give him 32 consecutive starts and put a lot of the injury talk to bed.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I don't question Saffold's toughness at all. He's got some creaky shoulders, that's all.

I worry about his longevity, though. I don't see him playing much beyond 30.

A55VA6

Legend
Looks like Bates might miss quite a bit of time.. same with Gaines..

Saffold usually gets banged up but doesn't miss much time, so hopefully that's the case here again. Fingers crossed for some good news!

Speeps

Starter
Saffold seems to be fine based on Fishers half time comments. Bates is the real worry.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
It cracks me up :snicker: when someone questions an NFL player's "toughness." Most of us have no idea what these men go through. I bet everyone of them lives with some level of pain from day to day, during the season and offseason. Give the guy a break.