PREGAME Rams at Viqueens Pregame Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I didn't realize that 25% of the Vikings sacks are out (Hunter and Griffin) - I was thinking missing both LTs would be a death knell but now Im thinking we may be okay there

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hello guys, I can give you the skinny on what you'll be facing.

*Coaches: Zimmer's on the hot seat for a myriad of reasons but it all boils down to his inability to maximize his players. He's had very talented teams in his 8 years, but has not been consistent and he insisted on mildly blowing up the team that actually went to the NFCCG. His defensive reputation has taken a hit as well as the last 2 years have seen some of the worst play Vikings defensive efforts in this teams history. His time is up and only a serious run saves him.

The OC is Klint Kubiak, Gary's kid. This means our two teams run much the offense with different pieces and playcallers. This also means both our defenses have practicing against the Shannahan style WCO all year.

*Offense. Kirk has been very good this year. He'll never be a Brady, Rodgers or even a Matt Stafford but he's more than good enough to win with and is unquestionably #2 on all time Vikings QB lists. Lately he's been told to sling it a bit more which has seen a couple more Int's, but that was an expected part of the equation.

Cook being out is significant, no matter what anyone tells you. He's a great back and his speed and toughness can't be replaced. However Alex Mattison is a quality back up who can carry the load. Mattison does more work in the screen game and outside bounce than Cook who likes to attack between the tackles. The wildcard is rookie Kene Nwangwu. Our KR has already housed two returns this year despite missing the first 6 games and has grown much more comfortable in the backfield the last month. He's 6'1" 215 lbs and runs a 4.25 40 which shows up on the field. If he gets going it'll be a huge plus for us.

The receiving core is elite and deep. Everyone knows Jefferson and Thielen, but KJ Osborne has broken out at WR 3 while Dede Westbrook and wildly talented rookie Ihmir Smith-Marsette provide good depth.

The line has been very good most of the year, though they've had their off games and still can struggle against pure strength. If they crap the bed, the Vikings will lose.

*Defense: this has been a sore spot, we have talent at every level but it has not come together.

The line has two behemoths inside in Michael Pierce and Dalvin Tomlinson; Pierce in particular can dominate a game. Sheldon Richardson has been moved outside after Danielle Hunter was lost for the year again, and DJ Wonnum who has been very good after Everson Griffith went insane again man's the other side. This should be a solid group and has some depth.

Erik Kendricks and Anthony Barr have played together since their freshmen year at college and know this system in and out. Again these two should be better than they have been, especially Barr who is vital to run defense.

The secondary has been a mess, but looks to be shaping up now that bashaud breeland has been released. Patrick Peterson and Harry Smith are the vets. Smith is Zimmer's joker and makes life hell pre snap, while Peterson has spent at least 3 games this year on the field calling out the offenses plays before the the quarterback can even start. Both have lost a step but are savvy enough to make up for it. Xavier Woods plays centerfield and the enigmatic Kam Danztler man's the other side at CB. It is a staple of Zimmer's offense that his outside CB's stay on their side. They don't move with matchups.

This game will come down to our offensive line vs your D-line and our secondary Vs Matt, Cooper and Co. If you can't get to Kirk we'll put up 27 points. If we can't stop your recievers, You'll put up 35.
Thanks for stopping by and the info! Best of luck as long as you're not playing the Rams :D

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
Really don't think so.

He was on the COVUD-List. Came-off it. Then reverted back to IR. Same as Mundt.

Do not believe Joseph-Day is currently in the 3-week-designated-to-return-window.
Allen2McVay,
Does this mean that he is ineligible to come back later this year? I was hoping that SJD could heal up sufficiently (much like J. Hollins and C. Akers) to make a come back sometime this year.

~ArkyRamsFan~

Vkingsfan

UDFA
After becoming a RAMS fan on the day they blocked Donny Anderson's punt in 1967, I recall seeing highlights on CBS of the RAMS winning in Bloomington in the snow in 1968, 31-3. That was a RAMS team that finished 10-3-1 and out of the playoffs while the 8-6 Queens won the 'Black and Blue' Division. SMH. Very much enjoyed watching the telecast in 1978 when the RAMS won 34-17 and chased Franny from the game, only to see him forced to return when Jim Youngblood WWE body-slammed Tommy Kramer. Then the RAMS won in the Coliseum in the NFC divisional playoffs for a 2-0 season sweep of the purple pansies. And, when the dykes were on the verge of setting an NFL record for fewest rushing yards allowed in a season, Steven Jackson, behind a dominant O Line performance, ran for 142 and 3 TD as the RAMS won in the Humpty dome to close out the 2006 season, as I had the pleasure of watching them deny the chokers that record.
The Vikings/Rams game I remember most wasn't even because of the game. It was 89 I believe, I was 10. You guys scored 21 points on 3 TD's, we scored 21 points on 7 Rich Karliss field goals. It went into OT where we grabbed a safety and won. Good game that we didn't deserve to win. Nothing overly spectacular in that. But then came the post game.

Head Coach Jerry Burns, a beloved man in Minnesota and artist of foul language, let loose the greatest post game press conference of all time. He dropped the F word so many times it's not worth counting along with a bunch of lesser curse words. He cursed out his players, he cursed out the stadium staff, he cursed out the media and he cursed out the fans; and not gently. And mind you, we won that game.

The only problem is that Uncle Burnsie had been a fixture in the Twin Cities for so long that it felt like your grandpa, cursing you out for disrespcting your mother. He's not wrong, you did ask for it and you know he's doing it cause he cares. So we loved him all the more for it..... That and him calling Mike Ditka "the biggest F'n p**** I know" (hope that clears moderation. If not, sorry).

I met him once when he came to my elementary school for an assembly in the gym to talk to us. He was only supposed to be there like 20 minutes but he ended up hanging around long afterwards so we could all show him how quick we could run or how high we could jump. According to Jerry we were all gonna play for the Vikings one day. He died as one of us a couple years ago at the ripe old age of 93. A tough old SOB with a heart of gold

If you haven't seen it, go to YouTube, look up Jerry Burns meltdown and grab the unedited version. You won't stop laughing. They truly don't make them like Uncle Burnsie anymore.

Last edited:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Allen2McVay,
Does this mean that he is ineligible to come back later this year? I was hoping that SJD could heal up sufficiently (much like J. Hollins and C. Akers) to make a come back sometime this year.

~ArkyRamsFan~
He's still potentially able to come back but he has to be put in the 21 day window like Akers then activated. But surgery on a torn pectoral is tough and I don't know that we heard the severity of the tear. There are reports of recovery from the surgery being from 7 days to 50 days before starting rehab depending on that severity.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Allen2McVay,

~ArkyRamsFan~
If he's healthy, he could return.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Take care of business, Rams... T.C.B.

Come home in first place!!

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
I didn't realize that 25% of the Vikings sacks are out (Hunter and Griffin) - I was thinking missing both LTs would be a death knell but now Im thinking we may be okay there

We aren't just out of the deep end. I have no doubts that Zimmer will try to attack those weak spots.

McVay, his staff, and Stafford will need to be in sync with the game plan. Running game, misdirections, play actions, moving the pocket.

COMMUNICATION WILL BE AT A PREMIUM!

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Espn Fighting GIF by Top Rank Boxing

David Ray

Rookie
Name
Randall
Good game that we didn't deserve to win.
I wonder if the Elias Sports Bureau could provide information as to whether or not there has ever been another football game, in history, at any level, where the winning team failed to score a TD while the loser hit pay dirt three times.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
We aren't just out of the deep end. I have no doubts that Zimmer will try to attack those weak spots.

McVay, his staff, and Stafford will need to be in sync with the game plan. Running game, misdirections, play actions, moving the pocket.

COMMUNICATION WILL BE AT A PREMIUM!

From who ? The Rams are pretty dialed in.