Rams at Dolphins vent thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ellard80

Legend
When you're down by 18 in the third quarter, you need THREE TOUCHDOWNS to take the lead - assuming the opposing offense scores 0 points. Any right-minded person would tell you that running the ball in those situations is too little too late when you've shown time and time again that you're going to go right back to the pass anyway. But yeah, let's continue to pretend that we ran the ball when the situation necessitated it.

But we were running the ball in the first half..

We ran the ball close to 20 times in the first half... that's a lot of running plays,,,, and we were down 21 pts while doing that lol

Evidently that's not the magic fix you think it is.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
The offense just isn't' good enough right now. It appears incapable of scoring on high-end defences. Particularly aggressive, physical defences. In large part, I think it is a coaching issue, which leads to me to next gripe...

McVay is way too arrogant. Time and time again, he proves unwilling to deviate from his comfort zone and dial up something to counter aggressive fronts. He also abandons the run far too often and recklessly burns time outs. I also question his personnel usage many times, particularly why Brown and Reynolds are featured so heavily. I have said it many before (often to heavy criticism, and I will say it again). McVay is not an elite coach. He is a good coach. Arguably, a very good coach. But there are a handful of other coaches that are better than McVay and Flores might be among them. I think they are building something special in Miami.

We should trade Everett for whatever we can get for him. I do not doubt his physical talents. But it seems he has quit on the team. Drops. Missed blocks. Poor decision making. Zero passion when he does enter the end-zone (which is eerily reminiscent of Gurley last year). Whatever sparked Everett to remove the Rams from his social media accounts several months ago, I suspect is still bothering him. Mundt should start seeing his reps.

Goff was embarrassing. He was under complete duress today. But he needs to make better decisions under pressure. He should have had at least 3 more turnovers today. Those kinds of numbers are pathetic. He needs more consistency. For better or worse though, we are stuck with him. Go ask teams like Denver or Miami how hard it is to find a good QB. They've been searching 20+ years.

The WRs cannot seem to separate this year. Van Jefferson should be getting more playing time.

Special teams continues to be a mess. Punt coverage is lacking. Too many penalties. No trickery or ability to call fake punts. Field goal issues persisting. Fortbath's miss from 48 yards was unbelievably ugly. It looked worse than anything Sloman put forward, even. But at least Forbath seems capable of hitting extra points...?

If we lose Henderson for any amount of time, prepare for things to get even worse on offence...

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Golf is the biggest bitch once he gets hit. He can never bounce back from any adversity and the first half proved it. Once he is rattled he is done for the game.

Has there ever been a post that was more wrong than this one?

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
O was flat today. Our D showcasing once again its awesomeness. Nothing to show for it our O had plenty of chances early on to capitalize but failed to do so. I hate these games, but it is what it is. Watching the Chargers game now.
O wasn't flat. That's just the O since 2019. If the defense has any fight at all we'll struggle most of the time

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
All the blah blah blah about Tua nonstop prior and during the game, but he barely did anything. Solid defensive effort on our part as well as some glimmer from Akers. Reminds me of the super bowl where a defensive effort is wasted due to a shit-showing from the offense. Frustratingly inconsistent.
Yea Tua is just another check the box media prop up guy. Nothing against the guy but i'm surprised he had time to play today with his dick in the media's mouth every 5 minutes.

He did practically nothing today but will get premium air play all week.

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy
The first two ints should have bee runs. I am screaming at the TV before the play. First one was a 2nd and short early in the game. You could see already the Rams O line was getting manhandled( fins D is real) and the DBs were like flypaper. Run the fucking ball and get your 1st down.
Now the 2nd pick down on the goaline, even with the first running play getting stuffed it should have been Brown up the middle. The D line and DBs were having their way and everything is so condensed down there, run the fucking ball 2 more times and you at least get 3 and the fhins do not get the long fumble TD.
With the passing game too many things have to go right for the play to work compared to a running play. Don't get me wrong, love the pass but in a game like this unless you have Pace,Hill,Smith, Harrah and Slater you might want to lay off so many passes. With a running play, blast the guy in front of you and complete the hand off and the passes will open up for you in the 2nd half.
I HATE the shotgun most of the time. Get under center and at least let the defense think it might be a run. Runs out of the shotgun SUCK and I wish they would go the way of the DoDo bird, extinct. Run out of passing formations like the GSOT teams did, make them defend the whole field and run it up their gut. How many times did you see Faulk take it behind Pace, juke outside and cut back in for TD.
Rams O line needs to get better and high draft capitol need to be spent. O line is the most important unit on a football team. They are OK against good fronts, but this was embarrassing.
BTW, I think Vilma is a very good color guy. Sees a lot and explains it well.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
1) Jared Goff is what he is at this point. A very good play action passing QB, who gets extremely rattled under pressure. Something changed after the Chiefs game. Because he hasn’t been the same since.

2) Sean McVay is in the same boat. He never seems to learn and plays right into what the defense wants to do. He’s an excellent head coach but when it comes to actually calling plays, he’s been really predictable, again, since the Chiefs game. He didn’t know what to call against the zero blitz until the 4th quarter. Not good.

3) Our weapons are okay. We don’t have a true playmaker who can stretch the defense. I would trade for John Ross during the bye. We need some speed.

4) This is the best defense the Rams have had since 2001. Just stifling. It’s a shame we are wasting it. Another zero points allowed in the second half. Historic.

5) I have no idea why we allowed Bones to leave. Same with GZ. Having a good kicker is the same as having a good QB. You keep them as long as possible and get whatever you can out of their career.

This game was a let down, but fuck the schedule makers. The amount of traveling plus having to play an east coast 10am game on a short week vs a team that had a bye? Fuck you. And fuck the Dolphins for trying to kill opponents with their stadium setup. That should be illegal.

Anyway, we should be able to handle the Seahawks. But it’s highly disappointing that we are a much better team then last year and still sit at 5-3 going into the bye. I don’t think we are going to win the Super Bowl this year so I’m going to enjoy this very weird season.

Ellard80

Legend
You guys are all blowing hard about the wrong thing... the issue isn't when to run or when to pass,

The issue is that McVay and Goff had no answer for the zero blitz.

McVay didn't seem to have a plan for it - or if he did have a plan Goff didn't seem to know it.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Golf is the biggest bitch once he gets hit. He can never bounce back from any adversity and the first half proved it. Once he is rattled he is done for the game.
Thats why he played best in the 4th....
After getting creamed by free rushers multiple times. So I know you're just upset but no, he isn't a bitch. His whole college career was him taking hits and delivering dimes.
So unless there is something wrong we don't know about, then our offense should be able to get him delivering dimes again - like we have seen him do in the NFL plenty of times, like his comeback in the bills game.

TXRams86

The Infamous
But lol we were running the ball in the first half..

We ran the ball close to 20 times in the first half... that's a lot of running plays

Evidently that's not the magic fix you think it is.
The fact that we got AWAY from the run is the issue that I, as well as many others, have with the play calling. I don't understand what you're trying to prove quoting a post where the meme explicitly says you can run more than pass, yet we end up passing for 61 times this game. The run game was effective early on, we got away from it for absolutely no reason and went with empty sets that got Goff clobbered and resulted in turnovers.

Ellard80

Legend
The fact that we got AWAY from the run is the issue that I, as well as many others, have with the play calling. I don't understand what you're trying to prove quoting a post where the meme explicitly says you can run more than pass, yet we end up passing for 61 times this game. The run game was effective early on, we got away from it for absolutely no reason and went with empty sets that got Goff clobbered and resulted in turnovers.

Because the only time I saw us get away from the run was at the end of the half... we were at the 5 and mcvay blew a time out.

There we could have ran it... after that the run pass ratio was purely a product of game script.

When Goff threw 16 pass attempts those last two drives i knew the clown show was going to roll in.

Ellard80

Legend
No excuse for mcvay abandoning the run. 4 years of that.

But he didnt fucking abandon the run.... not until 6 min left in the game.

We ran the ball nearly 20 times in the first half... there was one time when he burned his time out that i thought we should have ran it... besides that it was a non factor really... we were running down by 3 scores in the 2nd half.

But that would never pacify the run to pass ratio football police that inhabit every football forum.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I thought Staley was their worst enemy?
First week or two Staley was the only coach people wanted to fire. Now he's the only one worth keeping :D

Gotta love GDT and vent threads. Think it took 2 days last week after the win to get to this many pages in the celebration thread too.

TXRams86

The Infamous
Because the only time I saw us get away from the run was at the end of the half... we were at the 5 and mcvay blew a time out.

There we could have ran it... after that the run pass ratio was purely a product of game script.

When Goff threw 16 pass attempts those last two drives i knew the clown show was going to roll in.
Really? That's the only time we got away from it? Not on the 2nd and 2 where Goff threw the interception? Not when we were in the red zone early in the second quarter? I'm going to go ahead and end this back and forth with you as we clearly saw two different football games. Take care.

ProGen

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
1) Jared Goff is what he is at this point. A very good play action passing QB, who gets extremely rattled under pressure. Something changed after the Chiefs game. Because he hasn’t been the same since.

2) Sean McVay is in the same boat. He never seems to learn and plays right into what the defense wants to do. He’s an excellent head coach but when it comes to actually calling plays, he’s been really predictable, again, since the Chiefs game. He didn’t know what to call against the zero blitz until the 4th quarter. Not good.

3) Our weapons are okay. We don’t have a true playmaker who can stretch the defense. I would trade for John Ross during the bye. We need some speed.
I like this assessment.

You're right...both Goff and McVay share the similarity of clearly having positive attributes, but they are both limited in ways that the greats in this league are not. It's a frustrating position to be in...and one we have seen many NFL teams go through - they are both too good to completely dismiss as credible options, but they are also not good enough to feel completely comfortable with going forward. We are in no-mans land with our HC and QB.

As for number 3, we really could do with someone to take the top off a defense. It would help Goff a lot.
It would also help Goff if he learned to audible out of obvious perilous situations lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.