Rams at Colts Postgame Notes (11-10-13)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
- The Rams defeated the Colts 38-8, in their 43rd all-time meeting. Marks the Rams largest margin of victory since the Rams defeated the Falcons, 36-0, on October 13, 2003.

- The Rams are 3-1 against AFC opponents this season.

- The victory marks Coach Fisher’s 153 career win, he remains one win behind Tom Coughlin (154) as the Giants tallied a win today as well.

- QB Kellen Clemens completed nine-of-16 attempts for 247 yards two touchdown and a passer rating of 140.6, a new career high.

- Clemens established a new career long on a 57 yard touchdown pass to WR Tavon Austin, then topped it on an 81-yard pass also to Austin.

- WR/PR Tavon Austin notched a 98 yard punt return for a touchdown. The play ties for the third longest punt return of all-time in the NFL, behind the Rams’ own Robert Bailey’s 103 yard return, the Cardinals’ Patrick Peterson’s 99-yard return and ties with the Eagles’ Demarius Thomas’ return.

- The 98 yard return marks the second longest punt return in franchise history, behind Robert Bailey’s 103 yard return at New Orleans (10/23/94).

- Austin’s 145 punt return yards are the second-most in a single game in franchise history.

- Austin recorded a second score on a 57-yard reception from Clemens. Marked Austin’s third offensive touchdown of his career.

- Austin came up with his third score of the day on a career-long 81-yard touchdown reception from Clemens. Marks the Rams’ longest play from scrimmage this season.

- According to ESPN Stats and Info, Austin is the first Rams player with two touchdowns of 57-plus yards in game since Torry Holt in 2000 (First player in NFL with two touchdowns of 57-plus yards in game in 2013).

- Austin finished with 314 all-purpose yards (145 punt return, 138 receiving, 27 kickoff return and four yards rushing).

- According to Elias Sports, Austin is the third player in NFL history with three touchdowns of 55 yards or longer in a game.

- The last time the Rams had a player with three touchdowns was RB Steven Jackson vs. Dallas (10/19/08).

- RB Zac Stacy registered a 1-yard rushing touchdown. Gives Stacy back-to-back games with at least one rushing touchdown. Stacy has tallied three-of-three rushing scores for the Rams. Stacy finished with 26 attempts for 62 yards.

- RB Benny Cunningham rushed seven times for a team-leading 72 yards.

- DE Robert Quinn sacked Colts’ QB Andrew Luck for a loss of 13 yards, causing him to fumble. DE Chris Long picked up the fumble and returned it 45 yards for a touchdown. Marks Long’s first career touchdown.

- Quinn added a second sack on Luck to push his season total to 12.0 sacks this season, setting a new season-high. Last year Quinn finished with 10.5 sacks.

- C. Long tallied a sack on Luck for a loss of nine yards. Gives Long 6.5 sacks this season and 48.5 career.

- CB Trumaine Johnson intercepted Luck in the endzone for a touchback. Marks his second interception of the season and fourth career.

- LB James Laurinaitis intercepted Luck and returned it nine yards. Marks his second interception of the season and ninth career.

- LB Will Witherspoon recorded his first interception of the season and 14th career.

- DE Will Hayes intercepted Luck for his first interception of the season.

- The Rams’ four interceptions are a single game high for the 2013 season.

- According to press box statistics, Laurinaitis and CB Cortland Finnegan split the team lead in tackles each posting eight a piece.

- The Rams defense has collected 32 sacks and 26 points this season.

- The Rams defense limited the Colts to 18 rushing yards, the fourth lowest total in franchise history. Previously, the Rams held opponents to 1 (Chicago, 10/26/52), 6 (NYG, 11/12/89), and 8 (NYG, 9/30/84) yards rushing in a single game. Through the first three quarters, the Rams limited the Colts rushing attack to just five yards.

- The Rams allowed the Colts to convert just two-of- 12 third downs.

- K Greg Zuerlein kicked a 32-yard field goal.

- P Johnny Hekker punted five times for 242 yards, including a long of 61 yards. Hekker averaged 48.4 yards and tallied a 43.4 yard net average

Halftime Stats:

- The Rams defense did not allow the Colts’ to convert on third down in the first quarter.

- The Rams had a 28-0 lead going into the first half. The last time the Rams had a 28-point lead at half was in Atlanta on September 26, 1999.

- The Rams defense limited the Colts to 1-of-8 on third down, a 13 percent conversion rate.

- Marks the first time the Rams have held their opponent scoreless in the first half of play this season.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think I recall Bailey's return: Totally faked everyone out of their jock. Acted like he was going to take a knee in the endzone, never did, kinda walked around a little, then took off down the sideline while the Aints were trotting off the field! The refs never blew the whistle. Next thing you know the band is on the field and Bailey was knocking over tuba players taking it to the house! Not really, no band on the field, but it was classic!

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I think I recall Bailey's return: Totally faked everyone out of their jock. Acted like he was going to take a knee in the endzone, never did, kinda walked around a little, then took off down the sideline while the Aints were trotting off the field! The refs never blew the whistle. Next thing you know the band is on the field and Bailey was knocking over tuba players taking it to the house! Not really, no band on the field, but it was classic!
Lol at Jim Mora's face. :lol:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Lol at Jim Mora's face. :lol:

Touchback?

TOUCHBACK?

KB9lEiI.jpg

lasvegasrams

Rookie
Something interesting I noticed is that we are +6 point differential with Clemens starting. I know that we are 1-2 in those games, but it does say a lot about the coaching and team spirit.

Iron Lion

Starter
·I didn't like seeing Trumane Johnson do the throat slash... come on that's been illegal since Favre was a Packer.

·"Mr Eyebrows" as I call him - the ref for this game - really liked to tease the home crowd. First he picks up the PI flag, then he calls a hold on the Colts' punt team rather than a running into the kicker. Lol.

·Despite the two knucklehead penalties early, the Rams seemed confident from the start. I kept hearing them laughing and howling right after plays on defense.

·Lol @ them cheering the return man taking a knee.

fearsomefour

Legend
·I didn't like seeing Trumane Johnson do the throat slash... come on that's been illegal since Favre was a Packer.

·"Mr Eyebrows" as I call him - the ref for this game - really liked to tease the home crowd. First he picks up the PI flag, then he calls a hold on the Colts' punt team rather than a running into the kicker. Lol.

·Despite the two knucklehead penalties early, the Rams seemed confident from the start. I kept hearing them laughing and howling right after plays on defense.

·Lol @ them cheering the return man taking a knee.

Ha. I laughed at the crowd with the Bronx cheer for the return man also.
That sure looked like a PI to me. Oh well, so it evened out a little bit.

fearsomefour

Legend
Something else I noticed with this game. Langford commanded most of the double teams inside. That might be a product of the design of a run play, but, he was double teamed in the pass rush also. Langford blew up the double team several times and had a very good game vs. the run and got some pressure on Luck as well.
The Rams line has evolved into a power run blocking line.
Will be interesting to see if the Saffold experiment at G continues when and if Dahl is able to return. Green said during the game that the Rams thing Saffold could be a Pro-Bowl level G....I wonder if they will end up giving him a sales pitch to stay and play G and try to resign him.
Clemons played well again today. Much easier for any QB to play from in front, but, that is two games in a row with no pics and very solid play. If he continues with this level of play the need to draft a QB anywhere in the first couple days of the draft goes to nearly zero in my opinion.

Iron Lion

Starter
Yeah Clemens has been playing well in general. I agreed with Kosar in the preseason because the game I saw out of Clemens up to that point was garbage time in the Patriots game at London. I mean Clemens looked awful in that game but I was probably too quick to judge him - how much preparation does the backup QB get before a London game? Probably not the best circumstances. Especially if you're going in down by several TDs and they know you're throwing. Clemens has looked good in every game except probably the Seattle one, but he didn't look awful in that one either.

jap

Legend
I don't understand, how was it a td if the offense was running onto the field during the return?

Because the ball was still live. The ball has to be downed before it becomes a dead ball. Players get lax on the rules at times. We saw that today when Tavon waved off his teammates without actually calling for a fair catch. Gale Sayers had a similar play his rookie season where the defenders slowed up, expecting him simply fair catch a deep punt and he surprised them by running it back for an 80-harder jaunt to pay dirt.

Iron Lion

Starter
Because the ball was still live. The ball has to be downed before it becomes a dead ball. Players get lax on the rules at times. We saw that today when Tavon waved off his teammates without actually calling for a fair catch. Gale Sayers had a similar play his rookie season where the defenders slowed up, expecting him simply fair catch a deep punt and he surprised them by running it back for an 80-harder jaunt to pay dirt.

That is not a rule. Waving a punt off or calling peter is not an official signal, and as far as a ref is concerned it is meaningless. I think it's right to question how the TD stands on that old footage when there are players coming onto the field.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
You play until the whistle blows no matter what. THATS the rule.

Sunday marked the third time since 1999 (as far back as pro football reference will let you search plays) that the Rams have had a defensive, offensive and special teams TD.

Trivia question name the other two.

TexasRam

Legend
Sunday marked the third time since 1999 (as far back as pro football reference will let you search plays) that the Rams have had a defensive, offensive and special teams TD.

You got me boss. But I am guessing Tony Horne was involved I will also go with Grant Wistrom And Az Hakim.

jjab360

Legend

I know that one of them was against the Texans earlier this year.

jap

Legend
That is not a rule. Waving a punt off or calling peter is not an official signal, and as far as a ref is concerned it is meaningless. I think it's right to question how the TD stands on that old footage when there are players coming onto the field.

What are you talking about? I never said that waving a punt off is an official signal: I merely pointed out that's what Tavon did. Of course, the ball was still live!, that's why he could pick it up and run with it.

I know that one of them was against the Texans earlier this year.

Correct.

You got me boss. But I am guessing Tony Horne was involved I will also go with Grant Wistrom And Az Hakim.

1999 week 5 against the Falcons. Bruce with a 4 yard reception, Faulk 6 yard rush, Robert Holcombe 1 yard rush, Grant Wistrom 91 yard interception and Tony Horne 101 yard kickoff return. So two out of three aint bad.